Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network for reception on train into Dublin?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone happy with their mobile coverage on the way into Dublin?

I'm on eMobile and the coverage on the train into town is terrible. Allot of it had no 3G at all. Which is a pain when most of my browsing is on the train!

Anyone have any advice as to whether any network has consistent decent speed 3G all the way into Dublin city centre from Balbriggan/Skerries/Lusk?

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I thought that they have wifi on the trains these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I thought that they have wifi on the trains these days.

Never works. As in, you can connect to it but I've never been able to connect to the net through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have a look at the nearby sites and get a prepay sim to try it out

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

quad_red wrote: »
    Anyone happy with their mobile coverage on the way into Dublin?

I'm on eMobile and the coverage on the train into town is terrible. Allot of it had no 3G at all. Which is a pain when most of my browsing is on the train!

Anyone have any advice as to whether any network has consistent decent speed 3G all the way into Dublin city centre from Balbriggan/Skerries/Lusk?

Cheers
    Quad

Vodafone has been pretty good for me. You should be able to get some coverage data here; http://opensignal.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

No matter which network you're on, it always goes down between just outside Skerries, and just before Donabate (as you go towards Dublin). I've no idea why. Wifi on the trains varies depending on which train you're on - it always seems to work well on the former intercity trains but not so well on the green commuter trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Unshelved wrote: »
    No matter which network you're on, it always goes down between just outside Skerries, and just before Donabate (as you go towards Dublin). I've no idea why. Wifi on the trains varies depending on which train you're on - it always seems to work well on the former intercity trains but not so well on the green commuter trains.
    This is also my experience with Three and more recently eMobile.

Well, I've feck all coverage from Skerries to Donabate, Malahide to Portmarnock and from Donaghmede to Killester.

(iphone 5 on emobile).

Well, I've feck all coverage from Skerries to Donabate, Malahide to Portmarnock and from Donaghmede to Killester.

(iphone 5 on emobile).

Coming into Howth junction:

Coming into Howth junction:

Portmarnock even better!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Totally agree re the wi fi coverage on train, it goes between skerries and Rush/lusk, then again between portmarnock and howth junction, very unreliable

• Advertisement

NorthDub wrote: »
    Totally agree re the wi fi coverage on train, it goes between skerries and Rush/lusk, then again between portmarnock and howth junction, very unreliable

And in some areas there is high upload but zero download!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

There is no consistent signal on eMobile/Meteor into Dublin.

Edge or no data network at Rush & Lusk, Harmonstown & Killester. Spotty at Kilbarrack and Portmarnock. Decent 3G at Raheny, Howth Junction and from Clontarf Road into Dublin.

Why in this day and age when they're bringing in 4G services we still don't have consistent 3G in Dublin county?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

o2 is the best on that train line.
    I am gone a few years but we tested them all extensively for a project that we were working on.

Advertisement