Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch Site redirecting to Desktop Site

Options
  • 29-01-2014 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be an issue at the moment when I try to go to touch.boards.ie, I'm redirected to the Desktop Site. I'm not sure when this started happening today as everything was working ok this morning and all other mobile friendly versions of my usual sites such as m.theregister.co.uk are working as normal.

Hardware: Nokia N8
    Browser: Opera 12

EDIT: Seems to have reverted now back to normal. I tried to delete this post but a prompt came up that I don't have permission to delete the first post in a thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Same thing happening to me for the past hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Same issue.

HTC one

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I've the opposite I'm trying to get the full site on an ipad but getting redirected to the touch site and it's horrible on a big screen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I've the opposite I'm trying to get the full site on an ipad but getting redirected to the touch site and it's horrible on a big screen!

Me too. It only happened this evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Touch site is working fine for me on mobile (HTC One), but it not working for me on a Windows PC (Firefox or Chrome). (I prefer to use touch site while in work....;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

n0brain3r wrote: »

I got this as well this morning, do not want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

We've rolled out some changes with regards to automatic redirection between touch and desktop so that you get a better experience depending on what device you're on. We're going to add Symbian to the user agents that should get the touch site.

If you are trying to get to the touch site but keep seeing the full site, click on "Touch site" in the footer. It is between the links to "Contact us" and "log out".

If you are trying to get to the full site but keep seeing the touch site, click on the "Full site" link in the footer.

These two links set a cookie that make your preference persist for as long as the cookie is still around.

Edit -- Symbian phones should now be served the touch site. iPads will now be served the full site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Edit -- Symbian phones should now be served the touch site. iPads will now be served the full site.

I was well surprised at this one Alvis, can't imagine there's too many posters still using Symbian devices, but just said I'd come back and let you know it's working perfectly. Desktop links to other threads in posts are working great, redirecting seamlessly to the Touch Site version of the linked thread.

• Administrators Posts: 53,731 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have a Surface tablet and the full site is unusable on it using touch input. For example you cant hover over the my forums drop down.

Can we have some way to override this redirect? Unless i have a keyboard and mouse i really want touch.boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

awec wrote: »
    Can we have some way to override this redirect? Unless i have a keyboard and mouse i really want touch.boards.

If you tap the "Touch Site" link in the footer between "Contact Us" and "Log out", that'll set a cookie to set your preference for the touch site.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement