Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant status change from dependent to independent?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am a 26 year old mature student in second year of a 4 year course, and have just been told I will probably not get a grant at all, for the duration of my course. This would mean I have to drop out. Is there any other option? Please.

In 2012/13 I moved out of my parents home in August. Applied for grant as a dependant. Started college in Sept.
    Grant was denied based on parents assets being too much. Appealed because the property my parents own is costing them money rather than making any and is a liability, not an asset. Parents can't afford to keep me, I'm on Back to Education, paying rent in Dublin, my parents are in Longford. Appeal denied.

Scraped the money together, we are totally broke now, but paid the €2500 fee on the presumption that since I was an independent prior to Oct 2012 I would be able to get the grant for the remaining years.

Applied in 2013/2014 and sent in documentation. Got a back and forth going over a long time and eventually was told that because I only had a hand-written letter from an unregistered landlord from August to Nov 10 2013 I was not showing proof of independent residency. Had a UPC account in that time and cannot seem to get them to re-send me an old invoice or anything for the missing few weeks where I do not have a PRTB letter.

Here is my main problem. Up until this week my only real problem with this years application was not being able to prove independent residency from October to Nov 10 (only a very short time). I rang a Higher Education body to try and get some help and explained my case. She told me that I cannot apply in first year as a dependent, then re-apply in second year as an independent. Even though I actually went from being a dependent to an independent, without my parents supporting me whatsoever. Is there anything I can do to get a grant, I am not a dependent, I live away from home and pay my own way. I am getting married this year and my fiancé is in a minimum wage job. I am desperate and cannot afford the fees. I will have to drop out if I am not assessed as an independent for the remainder of my college years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Unfortunately OP the grant rules do state that you retain your original status application for the duration of your course irregardless. The only option you might have is to appeal the decision under a change in circumstances but I've no idea if that would be accepted. Generally the change in circumstances refers to changes in income.

Advertisement