Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best breed of maternal sheep ?

• 29-01-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

With the lambing season starting , what type of ewes do people like working with the best in terms of good mothering ability, meaning less human assistance ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

With the lambing season starting , what type of ewes do people like working with the best in terms of good mothering ability, meaning less human assistance ???

Don't know about main breed but I do like my ewes to have atleast 25% blackface hill ewe in them. I find it makes them better lambers outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

never had many of them but any mules I had were great mothers but were big ewes that needed to be very well fed. like texel cross ewes too only they are fierce stubborn if you need to adopt a lamb onto one, just wont work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Older ones. You know they know what they're at .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

have kerry hill X texelx ewes hardly ever handle a ewe at lambing but they are not having enough lambs(1.5) lively but great mothers.

breeding up to lleyn x in a hope to boost output had lleyns in the early90s they are very good mothers and easy worked but don't want a whole pile of triplets so may also use cheviot in the x.

hill cross ewes tend to be easier lambed than lowland crosses.

texels are not what they used to be they have been bred down into big head/short/narrow pelvised/mastitis magnets thanks to 'top breeders'

suffolks have also suffered at the hands of 'top breeders' I cannot understand how so much of the national flock consists of over 50% suffolk they tend to be lazy lumps to posh to push....but......the suffolk x cheviot (the first cross) is a great sheep.

so texel x suffolk or suffolk x texel might be the biz in the show ring in august but the are a nightmare to lamb.

but its a victoria or beyonce question ........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I think over time a bit too much texel and Suffolk sneak into out flock as it's easier to keep our own replacements. I've a lot of texel personally, but thinking of introducing some belclare into the mix.

• Advertisement

all in favour of home bred ewes, and rams from breeders you can trust but there are so many bad breeders of pedigree sheep out there I am rapidly coming to the belief that home bred rams are going to play a greater part of my flock.

when you hear that a pedigree breeder pays a furtune for an inlamb hogget that a,has a cesaerian and b,gets mastitis so he flushes her and get 15 embryos where the f*** is that getting anyone??????????

slightly off thread but is it a health and safety issue that the dept want to know how many CROSS sheep I have on the census form?:D

my sheep are all lovely and quiet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    slightly off thread but is it a health and safety issue that the dept want to know how many CROSS sheep I have on the census form?:D

my sheep are all lovely and quiet:)

Jesus don't say that, say they're all cross and the place isn't safe for inspectors :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

The Perth, Lanark, Swaledale, Newton Stewart etc. i.e. the hill horney ewes are considered the best when it comes to mothering ability, they need almost zero human assistance unless of course they're outcrossed.
    Over 95% of lambs are born in their natural habitat here in Ireland, in Scotland and Wales. Lambs are sometimes a week old before the farmer sees them ! Out of say 100 ewes, having 85 to 90 lambs by sale time is considered a good return. The average lamb per ewe is 1, also the lamb price at the mart is 30% to 45% less than the lowland lamb due to much smaller carcase etc.
    There is a lot more intensive labour involved in lowland sheep when lambing etc.plus the cost of feed, but it's reflected in the return. So it's 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other!

M.

Jesus don't say that, say they're all cross and the place isn't safe for inspectors :D

maybe sheep ireland is going to include anger management services?
    bord bia approved of coarse;)

(watch out Con the blasphemy inspectors will be calling next(see gunthering posts))

• Advertisement

I suppose comparing lowland sheep farming and hill sheep farming can be like comparing apples and oranges. Each man to his own really. I was watching the bbc there recently and in England there's a strong link between the hill farmer crossing their blackface with the Leicester to give the mule, and the lowland farmer buying in the mule, as their main breathing stock.they wouldn't entertain the idea of keeping the offspring for breeding once crossed with the terminal ram once. The mule is the main breed of ewe across the water. Is the same link as strong here ?
    Seperately I agree with cran, I like a minimum of at least 25% mountainy in my ewes.less foot problems etc, but cannt go too mountainy in a lowland setup if you produce butcher lambs, also hill sheep and keeping good neighbours might not go hand in hand, less you've 6ft high fencing around 100% of your farm :-)

less you've 6ft high fencing around 100% of your farm :-)

You're not related to Oliver McDonald are you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Big thumbs up for the mule here too. Nearly always lamb themselves, have two even lambs that are always the first ready. If you get a harsh spring like last year they excel, other breeds I have stopped milking but they milk off there back
    My problem is I haven't enough of them

I breed my own usually but finding it very Hard to get the right lanark/Perth type horny lately
    Bought a batch this year so waiting to see what they turn out like

I would admit that 50% of mules are crap, any crossed with the mayo horny are far too fine and offspring hard finished IMO. You them with a bit of width and depth in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

razor8 wrote: »
    Big thumbs up for the mule here too. Nearly always lamb themselves, have two even lambs that are always the first ready. If you get a harsh spring like last year they excel, other breeds I have stopped milking but they milk off there back

I breed my own usually but finding it very Hard to get the right lanark/Perth type horny lately

I would admit that 50% of mules are crap, any crossed with the mayo horny are far too fine and offspring hard finished IMO. You them with a bit of width and depth in them

Totaly agree Mule are fantastic animals if right ones are bought, flock here is 80% mule. I'm crossing them with Lleyns now for replacements and looking forward to see how the cross back to Charollais this year;)

You're not related to Oliver McDonald are you? :pac:

Not that I know of anyway :)

Not that I know of anyway :)

He once got some hill sheep, yonks ago. All he had for fencing was hedges and he was very surprised that they didn't keep them in :pac:

He once got some hill sheep, yonks ago. All he had for fencing was hedges and he was very surprised that they didn't keep them in :pac:

Hedges ? All those things do is act as a back scratch to the sheep as their escaping through them :-)

The man in my coop knows me on a first name basis for the amount of green sheep wire I've bought off him , 3ft does me fine and keeps the girls in, but if I tried to keep pure hill sheep, they'd only use it as a hurdle and would be gone.:eek:

Separately I've had good luck with a batch of belclare ewes I bought a few years ago. Think I'm going to get me a ram next summer for replacements

Hedges ? All those things do is act as a back scratch to the sheep as their escaping through them :-)

The man in my coop knows me on a first name basis for the amount of green sheep wire I've bought off him , 3ft does me fine and keeps the girls in, but if I tried to keep pure hill sheep, they'd only use it as a hurdle and would be gone.:eek:

Separately I've had good luck with a batch of belclare ewes I bought a few years ago. Think I'm going to get me a ram next summer for replacements

Some of mine will jump 3 foot plus a strand of barbed on top of that. So I added another on the top of that, which put manners on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Some of mine will jump 3 foot plus a strand of barbed on top of that. So I added another on the top of that, which put manners on them.

I have one Charolais, that can jump 3 ft sheep wire with two strands barbed on top :mad:
    She was on the cull list this year, but went in lamb and so is around for another bit. :rolleyes:
    And already she has has jumped out of where she should be into another group of lambs, and took them back with her when she was going to her own crew... :mad: :mad:
    (she always has nice lambs tho, so I wasn't that upset when she had to stay for another year) ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Have Belclare x here . They are really quiet to handle. Had mostly twins from them last year. But I had to handle a lot of them at lambing. They're not strong sheep IMO .

Put Belclare cross Suffolk ewes back to a new Belclare ram this year. After that I'll be bringing back in some Suffolk into the mix.
    Want ewes to be mostly maternal breed but not pure as lambs don't flesh as well .

• Advertisement

Have Belclare x here . They are really quiet to handle. Had mostly twins from them last year. But I had to handle a lot of them at lambing. They're not strong sheep IMO .

Put Belclare cross Suffolk ewes back to a new Belclare ram this year. After that I'll be bringing back in some Suffolk into the mix.
    Want ewes to be mostly maternal breed but not pure as lambs don't flesh as well .

Quiet to handle makes life easier. I found in the batch I have that their also good milky sheep. Just wondering were the ones you handled in lamb to a Suffolk ? Would the ram be to blame ? I have two texel rams and noticed that I had a way higher handling rate from one and none from the other ?
    Also when your working with an existing lowland flock that's gone too terminal in breeding ( as mine is ) what are the options to bring it back maternal , as far as I can see its either ,cheviot,belclare or llyen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

It is not true that horneys will jump 3 ft fence, of course you might find 1 in a 1,000 that will jump anything but it's the exception rather than the rule.
    If you buy a batch of horney lambs or hoggets they will settle in a group and after a few months you could even remove the fence and they will not wander too far, (this is known as settlement patterns in the hill & mountains). The hill sheep farmers in the Cooley mountains know all about this after their flocks were removed due to the Foot & Mouth disease some years ago.
    As sheep age they develop a homing instinct and some are known to jump fences, swim across rivers etc. etc. to get home especially at lambing time.
    So the secret is to breed your own or else buy young stock.

M.

monseiur wrote: »
    It is not true that horneys will jump 3 ft fence, of course you might find 1 in a 1,000 that will jump anything but it's the exception rather than the rule.
    If you buy a batch of horney lambs or hoggets they will settle in a group and after a few months you could even remove the fence and they will not wander too far, (this is known as settlement patterns in the hill & mountains). The hill sheep farmers in the Cooley mountains know all about this after their flocks were removed due to the Foot & Mouth disease some years ago.
    As sheep age they develop a homing instinct and some are known to jump fences, swim across rivers etc. etc. to get home especially at lambing time.
    So the secret is to breed your own or else buy young stock.

M.
    Fair enough Monsieur, as a lowland farmer I know nothing about hill farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I find the texel to be a good breed
    usualy fairly easily lambed..good lambs to get up and suckle when born (most important trait IMO.no point having dopey lambs and heap of work)
    quiet sheep to handle and lovely dougs with small teats..had suffocks and teats nearly same size as cows
    good to mind lambs outdoors
    1 fault though.stubborn as f**k if they decide to go againest ya for any reason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

Have had mules in the past and found them great sheep,plenty of milk and good hardy lambs from them and found good to fatten after texel rams. i will def be buying some again this year to breed replacements from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

razor8 wrote: »

I wouldnt totally agree with you on the mayo ewes razor. (I have to defend my own :) )
    The mayo ewe varies in size depending in the area. The quality is also very up and down. I suppose it is a bit like the mule, you can have good ones and bad ones. There are mayo ewes that would put it up to the perth ewes while being a good bit hardier. They would also be far larger than the lanark type and at the same time just as hardy.
    The issue is there is no registered breed, so you would have to be well up to speed on the mayo ewe, and crucially, who to source them off, to get the ones you would be looking for.

On the average you are probably right, simply because there are a lot of poor mayo ewes out there. But at the same time I wouldnt tar them all with the same brush.

The issue is there is no registered breed,

There is.

Contact John Noonan, Teagasc, Westport I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Thanks con. I know of that program but from what I have heard off a few guys who would be well respected in the area, there is very little quality control involved. Like no sheep were being turned away for lacking the quality required, which when you consider the variable quality in mayo ewes doesnt really make sense. I know of some who are now in it that were running lanark rams a few years ago.

On a separate topic, any one running Cheviots on a lowland farm, for a maternal breed, Which type make the best ewes ?

• Advertisement

On a separate topic, any one running Cheviots on a lowland farm, for a maternal breed, Which type make the best ewes ?

running some cheviots since '94 .criss cross wicklow & ncc .
    brutal selection and retention of homebred rams has worked for me.
    often retain a son of a purchased ram bred off an old proven ewe(see longevity thread)
    bitches for barrenness always more cheviots barren than other Xbreds in our flock ,reduced the rate by culling ruthlessly.

Lambing % not great ,going to introduce some CheviotXLleyn
    to see how that goes check back in 4-5 years

there is a lot of **** cheviots out there which is a pity great potential good suffolkXcheviots are great sheep may not be as prolific as mules but produce far better quality lambs

Advertisement