Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scientology has a child labor camp in Australia

• 29-01-2014 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/latest/article/-/12905379/australia-s-child-labour-camp/
    Right in the middle of a quiet suburb is a place where children are separated from their parents, and forced to work full time for no pay, and live in squalid conditions.
    Those who’ve survived this place say they were brainwashed into believing they could not leave. They say they did not deserve the shocking treatment dished out.
    A young man who escaped the place with the help of his father, Shane Kelsey says “I lived in that garage for about a year and a half, maybe two years.”
    Shane is now 21-years-old. Until just over a year ago he had never used the internet, watched television or followed the media.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

“I signed my contract when I was eight-years-old. It was a billion-year contract, which means you're volunteering or servicing the Church for the next billion years,” Shane said.

Did Tom Cruise sign a similar contract? They all do, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, where's that guy who says that those who protest against the Church of Scientology were as bad as them? :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What happened next?
    Why don't you have a look around and tell us?

robindch wrote: »
    Why don't you have a look around and tell us?
    huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The story may be two years old, but its been happening for longer and its still going on to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

So, where's that guy who says that those who protest against the Church of Scientology were as bad as them? :rolleyes:

I'm here

How can i help ?

And while your all upset maybe stage a protest here as well

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/15/world/asia/china-one-child-policy/

There you can actually use the word labor camp without the use of brackets

Or do we only have a go at "religion" in here ?

[-0-] wrote: »
    The story may be two years old, but its been happening for longer and its still going on to this day.
    Yeah, got that. What I am asking you is what happened with the police investigation that surely must have happened after this?

Was the place raided? Are the slavers in prison now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Was the place raided? Are the slavers in prison now?
    Why don't you do a bit of investigation and tell us?

• Advertisement

Got a linkie to the highlighted part? can only find the 2 year old articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Jenna Miscavige Hill's book (Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape) details her growing up in one of these Scientology work camps - a combination of hard labour and systematic indoctrination that N.Korea would be proud of.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Belief-Secret-Scientology-Harrowing-ebook/dp/B008XOJ7C2/

Excellent book for anyone interested in a first person account of what happens in these 'camps'.

More interesting reading

http://exscientologykids.com/

pH wrote: »
    Jenna Miscavige Hill's book (Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape) details her growing up in one of these Scientology work camps - a combination of hard labour and systematic indoctrination that N.Korea would be proud of.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Belief-Secret-Scientology-Harrowing-ebook/dp/B008XOJ7C2/

Excellent book for anyone interested in a first person account of what happens in these 'camps'.

To put it into perspective she's David's niece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Shane is now 21-years-old. Until just over a year ago he had never used the internet, watched television or followed the media.
    And this is a bad thing?

rughdh wrote: »
    And this is a bad thing?

Being deprived of the choice is clearly the issue.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

rughdh wrote: »
    And this is a bad thing?

Imagine, no Breaking Bad, no Battlestar Galactica, no Dr. Who, no Adventure Time, no Archer, no Regular Show. To deprive anyone of those shows* is horrendous cruelty in itself.

*Well, I can live without Dr. Who...

To put it into perspective she's David's niece.
    Yeah, but what happened to these slave-children following this expose?

And what does this protest involve? Screaming abuse at parents and their children going in and out of the church? Plaquards reading "While I do respect your freedom of religion I am protesting you anyway because I know better than you".

Sounds real productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sarky wrote: »
    Imagine, no Breaking Bad, no Battlestar Galactica, no Dr. Who, no Adventure Time, no Archer, no Regular Show. To deprive anyone of those shows* is horrendous cruelty in itself.

HERESY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like Pavlov's dogs, the usual suspects do the usual.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And what does this protest involve? Screaming abuse at parents and their children going in and out of the church? Plaquards reading "While I do respect your freedom of religion I am protesting you anyway because I know better than you".

Sounds real productive.

Scientology labour camps for kids. I mean, REALLY??? You really expect anyone to believe that you can honestly defend this?

A new low for you BB, and that's saying something.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,496 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I think the important part of the protests is not trying the convince the members to leave as that's impossible for a protest to do, it's to draw attention to the Church.

The don't want media attention they don't influence, it's why they tried to get the videos that started the protests pulled in the first place. Any time they appear in the public eye they do more damage to themselves than anyone else could possibly do.

So by protesting, and in such an eye catching way, Scientology is dragged kicking and screaming into people's attention, warning them off and making them more mindful of the tricky and underhanded ways they try to recruit people.

Also it helps by reminding people that Scientology runs a ton of other innocuous seeming organisations such as Narcanon and the New Cult Awareness Network.

King Mob wrote: »
    Also it helps by reminding people that Scientology runs a ton of other innocuous seeming organisations such as Narcanon and the New Cult Awareness Network.

Hah! I like that; the New Cult Awareness Network! Old cults are just fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,496 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

kylith wrote: »
    Hah! I like that; the New Cult Awareness Network! Old cults are just fine though.

It's not a network about new cults. It a new version of the Cult Awareness Network that used to be very vocal against before it was shut down, then had it's name bought up and used by Scientology,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

weisses wrote: »
    I'm here

How can i help ?

Admitting that you were wrong would be a good first step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It was a pretty shocking read. And it's not as if the adults were oblivious to it being wrong. Whenever they ran into a maintenance issue that the children couldn't fix (like an electrical fault) they would hide the children out of sight of the electricians and other labourers because they knew they would be horrified seeing children do hours of hard manual labour.

Admitting that you were wrong would be a good first step.

Why not tackle that question in the response i gave you in that thread instead of replying to a question directed ad someone else in a different thread.

Why not tackle that question in the response i gave you in that thread instead of replying to a question directed ad someone else in a different thread.

Because all you were doing in that thread was evasion and pervarication. It doesn't throw a good light on your thought processes (or your moral reasoning) when you attempt to defend the indefensible like that.

• Advertisement

Because all you were doing in that thread was evasion and pervarication. It doesn't throw a good light on your thought processes (or your moral reasoning) when you attempt to defend the indefensible like that.

Then i suggest you read through that thread again, the only thing not making sense was your ridiculous comparison ... if you want to discuss this further i suggest you reply in that thread

Then i suggest you read through that thread again, the only thing not making sense was your ridiculous comparison ... if you want to discuss this further i suggest you reply in that thread

Aww, pity about you. The thing is though, it's not my duty to sort your problems it's yours.

If you cannot see the blindingly obvious (e.g. what I posted in the other thread), then what's the point talking to you?

If you cannot see the blindingly obvious (e.g. what I posted in the other thread), then what's the point talking to you?

Then don't ... should be easy enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just read Marc Headley's Blown for Good which also makes for insightful reading. Dave Miscavige comes across as a total pyscho, and the comparison to a labour camp seems pretty accurate. Not the most engaging of writing styles at times, but worth a read nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Consider this your final warning. Any more blasphemous remarks and all yoru posts on this forum will be deleted and replaced by a macros saying that you think Dr. Who is awesome.

It was asked before but are they still running that "labor camp" over there ?

I tried to find more up to date material but all relates back to that news story 2 years ago

• Advertisement

I hate Dr. Who. My wife loves it, religiously which is horrifying.

I hate Dr. Who. My wife loves it, religiously which is horrifying.

:mad:
    Your wife sounds awesome though.

Jernal wrote: »
    Consider this your final warning. Any more blasphemous remarks and all yoru posts on this forum will be deleted and replaced by a macros saying that you think Dr. Who is awesome.

You would deliberately make someone look more insane than J C? Dude, that's low.

You would deliberately make someone look more insane than J C? Dude, that's low.

I would.

I don't think that would be physically possible.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Dr. Who is awesome.

All I know is that he's no Benjamin Lafayette Sisko.

All I know is that he's no Benjamin Lafayette Sisko.

Just finished rewatching that. Now that is a space prophet you can get behind.

Just finished rewatching that. Now that is a space prophet you can get behind.

Well he is the man who wins ever Kirk vs. Picard argument on the internet. If that isn't enough to have you worshipping the ground on which he treads, I don't know what is.

He punched Q in the face. In the face.

Well he is the man who wins ever Kirk vs. Picard argument on the internet. If that isn't enough to have you worshipping the ground on which he treads, I don't know what is.

Well now I'll be playing Kirk V Picard V Sisko all day.

You gotta love a man who can make Lafayette sound badass.

Well now I'll be playing Kirk V Picard V Sisko all day.

You gotta love a man who can make Lafayette sound badass.

Well when you are named after Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette you kind of have to be one.

Well when you are named after Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette you kind of have to be one.

It's a lot to live up to alright.

Advertisement