Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gym programme 2014

• 29-01-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

was given this gym program to follow for pre season GAA.. thoughts? no harsh comments please i didnt make it :P

Day 1
    bench 3x8
    Incline Bench 3x8
    Barbell Military press 3x8
    Tricep push down 3x8
    dips 3xMAX

Day 2
    Squat 3x8
    Powerclean 3x8
    T bar row 3x8
    Bent over row 3x8
    Bicep Curls 3x8

Day 3
    Bench 3x8
    Upright row 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Tricep push down 3x8
    Skull Crushers 3x8

Day 4
    Squats 3x8
    Leg Curls 3x8
    Seated Cable row 3x8
    One Arm Dumbell Row 3x8
    Preacher Curls 3x8

Core work ,warm ups also included etc

Any Good for some one looking to get stronger over a few weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

What's your training history????

I wouldn't think much of that programme to be honest.

Powerclean's 3 sets of 8 reps
    I've never seen anyone go above 3-5 reps on this exercise, why 3x8???
    Do you know how to do them properly?

There is no Overhead press/Push press variant in that programme,
    Why?

Where are all the lower body exercises other than squats?? Romanian Deadlifts/Single leg variant exercises etc??

Most GAA players from my experience,myself being an example have/had imbalances in the lower body.

Have you been functionally screened?
    Overhead squat test, In-line lunge test etc?
    What are your weaknesses???

The fact that you have more arm exercises each day than leg exercises in a programme "designed" for a sport like Gaelic football/Hurling says it all.

Do not do this programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ironman2000

Hammar wrote: »
    What's your training history????

I wouldn't think much of that programme to be honest.

Powerclean's 3 sets of 8 reps
    I've never seen anyone go above 3-5 reps on this exercise, why 3x8???
    Do you know how to do them properly?

There is no Overhead press/Push press variant in that programme,
    Why?

Where are all the lower body exercises other than squats?? Romanian Deadlifts/Single leg variant exercises etc??

Most GAA players from my experience,myself being an example have/had imbalances in the lower body.

Have you been functionally screened?
    Overhead squat test, In-line lunge test etc?
    What are your weaknesses???

The fact that you have more arm exercises each day than leg exercises in a programme "designed" for a sport like Gaelic football/Hurling says it all.

Do not do this programme.

thanks for the reply.
    playing decent level of club football for few years. neer really followed a gym program.
    done a small of gym work in the past but probably consider myself a beginner. . i have been looking all over the internet for a program, theres some many hard to figure out whats right..
    No havnt had any tests. Was just looking for something simple to follow maybe 3 days a week to compliment on field training.

My weaknesses? not the fastest over the first 1-5 metres maybe.

when you say screening? is there many people that do that? im in Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Get in touch with a decent strength and conditioning coach

They'd do up a proper programme.

It should be all about mobility and bodyweight movements at first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

thanks for the reply.
    playing decent level of club football for few years. neer really followed a gym program.
    done a small of gym work in the past but probably consider myself a beginner. . i have been looking all over the internet for a program, theres some many hard to figure out whats right..
    No havnt had any tests. Was just looking for something simple to follow maybe 3 days a week to compliment on field training.

My weaknesses? not the fastest over the first 1-5 metres maybe.

when you say screening? is there many people that do that? im in Mayo

Anyone with a background in Strength and Conditioning should be able to do them for you. I'm sure if you look around,there are plenty of options within Mayo.
    As for the programme, well i could sit here and tell you to do certain things such as heavy squats,RDL's etc etc,but if you have poor Ankle/Calf mobility etc,you may end up hurting yourself and spending much of your season on the treatment table.
    As Nice Guy said, it is all about assessing mobility and figuring out what is tight and what is weak and then baseing your programme around those findings.

Advertisement