Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identifying Ras North Dublin climbs

• 29-01-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just looking at the Ras schedule and the last day stage to Skerries. There are mentions of climbs at Pluckhimin, Cross of the Cage and Black Hills.

I kind of know the roads around there but not the names. Is the Black Hills climb the climb that's usually known as Ardgillan? Is the Cross of the Cage climb the road from Skerries Road up to Ardgillan?

Pluckhimin seems to be west of Garristown. Must seek it out and add to the 'Hell of the North' route

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Blackhills - Ardgillan
    Cross of the Cage - further on up the Darcytown Road
    Pluckhimin- Garristown to Ardcath Road I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Just looking at the Ras schedule and the last day stage to Skerries. There are mentions of climbs at Pluckhimin, Cross of the Cage and Black Hills.

I kind of know the roads around there but not the names. Is the Black Hills climb the climb that's usually known as Ardgillan? Is the Cross of the Cage climb the road from Skerries Road up to Ardgillan?

Pluckhimin seems to be west of Garristown. Must seek it out and add to the 'Hell of the North' route
    Black Hills summit is at main entrance to Ardgillan.
    Pluckihimin is about 400 mtrs from Garristown on the road across from the N2 to the village.
    Cross of the Cage is after leaving Balrothery in the direction of Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I cant put a picture to the Darcytown road climb. I am sure I have done it numerous times but would not have know the name of it. Is it anywhere near the man o war pub:confused:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

wav1 wrote: »
    Black Hills summit is at main entrance to Ardgillan.
    Pluckihimin is about 400 mtrs from Garristown on the road across from the N2 to the village.
    Cross of the Cage is after leaving Balrothery in the direction of Skerries

Oh now I think I know it. Its the climb straight out of Balrothery towards the Ardgillen direction or as you say Skerries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

billyhead wrote: »
    Oh now I think I know it. Its the climb straight out of Balrothery towards the Ardgillen direction or as you say Skerries?
    Roger.Starts directly on leaving Balrothery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

http://app.strava.com/segments/802698

The top 50 or so are Ras riders. I'm just outside the top 100. :o Must give it a blast soon!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

With the Ras and the Giro coming through the area in May our potholes should be getting their regular fill before too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

"Pluckihimin is about 400 mtrs from Garristown on the road across from the N2 to the village."

Correct. It's a piece of piss, slowly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Beasty wrote: »
    With the Ras and the Giro coming through the area in May our potholes should be getting their regular fill before too long...

Cycle Against Suicide appears to be Dublin-bound from the North same day as Giro.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycle Against Suicide appears to be Dublin-bound from the North same day as Giro.
    I hope they've been in discussion with the Giro organisers as a lot of those roads are going to be closed for a large chunk of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

I'd say from these climbs the only one that catches there attention is Ardgillan just at the steep bit (also a good viewing point) and that's usually because they have 100k plus in the legs already and 7 days racing. I have seen them just lash up the Cross of the Cage quicker than I would come down it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I cant put a picture to the Darcytown road climb. I am sure I have done it numerous times but would not have know the name of it. Is it anywhere near the man o war pub:confused:?

If you pas the pub on your left heading for Balrothery, take the next right and that's Darcytown. It brings you out on the road just down from cross of the cage.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    If you pas the pub on your left heading for Balrothery, take the next right and that's Darcytown. It brings you out on the road just down from cross of the cage.
    That's not the one being referred to here - it's the one Wishbone Ash provided a Strava link to

Advertisement