Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemption For Irish

Options
  • 29-01-2014 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm 13,just started first year. Can I get a exemption,I was born in a different country and came to Ireland when I was 5. So do you think I can get a DES exemption or nui exemption. Or any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm 13,just started first year. Can I get a exemption,I was born in a different country and came to Ireland when I was 5. So do you think I can get a DES exemption or nui exemption. Or any?

Do you actually find Irish difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

In answer to your question I don't think you can get an exemption, as far as I'm aware you would have needed to be out of the country for the past 2/3 years. You must have been doing Irish since you started in primary school, so in fairness it wouldn't be any different to someone born here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I moved to Ireland at 12/13 and was exempt from Irish as I had never studied the language before and was going straight into 1st year.

If you moved here when you were 5 and have been doing Irish like everybody else since primary school I seriously doubt you would get an exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You can apply but it's unlikely you will get it.

My daughter moved here at age 5 and also thought about applying for an excemption as she severely struggles with no Irish speaking parent. After some thought she decided to do pass Irish and have the extra points in her leaving in case she slipped somewhere else and needed them. Might be worth your while doing it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

The best way to learn irish is by speaking it, not learning grammer etc (I find this will come naturally when you begin speaking it). libraries have irish speaking evenings or the Gaeltacht is great if affordable.

I don't think you would be exempt unfortunately. It is actually a nice language and I know a lot of adults going back to learning it outside of the school environment and enjoying it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you moved here aged 5, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I was born in US, moved here at 18 months, did Irish from junior infants all the way up to 5th year and then applied for the exemption and was given it on the basis of birthplace alone.

That was quite a while ago (80s) so not sure if things have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Unless the rules have changed in the last few years, you will get an NUI exemption if you were not born in Ireland. Check their website to be sure. But if you've been in the Irish system since you were 5, you really should be able to pass Irish, and it's also a requirement for several jobs, so not having Irish might cut down your career options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

If your language options were French and German, but your parents studied Spanish, would you get an exemption from the school because of that? Even though you started at the exact same age as everyone else?

The answer is no, you don't qualify for an exemption unless you have severe learning disabilities. Here are the rules:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/exemption_from_irish.html#l1f4da

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Language requirements for matriculation: exemptions Irish

Generally speaking, anybody applying to an NUI institution who was born and had all their education in the Republic of Ireland must present Irish (achieving at least Grade D at Ordinary Level) for Matriculation purposes. Students not born in the Republic of Ireland or educated for an extended period outside Ireland may apply to NUI for an exemption from the Irish language requirement. Students with specific learning difficulties affecting language acquisition (dyslexia) may also apply for exemption from Irish. To apply for an exemption, it is necessary to send in a completed Exemption Application Form and other relevant material.

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

Irish not required for those born outside of Ireland for entry to NUI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

OK so things haven't changed since the 80s in that case.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I came to Ireland from the US in sixth class, didn't have to do Irish. Another guy I knew in secondary school arrived in 5th class. Had to do Irish. If you're here since 5, it's not like you're at a distinct disadvantage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Language requirements for matriculation: exemptions Irish

Generally speaking, anybody applying to an NUI institution who was born and had all their education in the Republic of Ireland must present Irish (achieving at least Grade D at Ordinary Level) for Matriculation purposes. Students not born in the Republic of Ireland or educated for an extended period outside Ireland may apply to NUI for an exemption from the Irish language requirement. Students with specific learning difficulties affecting language acquisition (dyslexia) may also apply for exemption from Irish. To apply for an exemption, it is necessary to send in a completed Exemption Application Form and other relevant material.

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

Wow, that's amazing. My son was born in the UK and moved to Ireland at 10 days old, so unless the rules change by the time he is old enough, he can be exempted from Irish for NUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We moved abroad for 3 years when I was 9 and when we came back my mother applied for an exemption for me and my younger sister and it was granted so it might be doable.

But then, my mother had no time for Irish anyway ("why would they waste their time on a dead language that's of no use to them?") - even less so when the kids I was in class with abroad already spoke 2/3+ languages fluently (side note: these are the kids that the multinationals we so depend on now have to "import" to fill the jobs).

We didn't do religion either - mam's attitude was that that was a choice we should make when we were old enough to understand it properly, rather than being indoctrinated in primary/secondary school by the Catholic Church

Very strong enlightened woman my mother - especially as a young single mother in the 70s/80s - something I've only realised and grown to appreciate as I've gotten older myself :)

Advertisement