Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,377 ✭✭✭pgj2015

get over it, this thread is for stingy stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,944 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

At a wedding , baskets in Ladies , with various items that might be of use during the evening , which swiftly disappeared . Into handbags to be brought home . I kid you not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    get over it, this thread is for stingy stories.

Point of ordure - he was being stingey with a comma, so well in keeping.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Old Landlord who cut down a small tree in the yard and had travellers collect it. Was only a small amount and this phucker is a millionaire.

Another time he took a roll of loo roll with him as 'he left it behind'!.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Point of ordure - he was being stingey with a comma, so well in keeping.

Ye and you where being stingey with the s.Im a she :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-mourner-been-crashing-every-11195963

Crashing funerals for 17 years for free grub!.

Has to be in here she has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    At a wedding , baskets in Ladies , with various items that might be of use during the evening , which swiftly disappeared . Into handbags to be brought home . I kid you not.

I've been to weddings and the couple provided this. It's great when people don't take the piss.

I was at a family wedding 2 weeks ago. Full basket at the start of the meal, empty basket after the dessert. Very stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,944 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I've been to weddings and the couple provided this. It's great when people don't take the piss.

I was at a family wedding 2 weeks ago. Full basket at the start of the meal, empty basket after the dessert. Very stingy.

Exactly the same here - family wedding . Two baskets in ladies , one in the gents.

Unbelievable behaviour tbh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Epic stinge.

A girl I work with who's a huge stinge told me a story the other day. She was checking into a hotel (she was just staying alone) she had a job interview with another company in Tralee (she lives in Dundalk). She didn't pay for breakfast in her stay.

She told me that she eavesdropped to another lone woman checking in, looked at her room key and heard her name.

She got up the next day at cock crow to drive back and went into the restaurant, she said "good morning, I'm Murphy , Smith (whatever) from room 123" and masqueraded as the other woman! Free breakfast! This woman is my hero!

She also told me that she took a photo of the hotel parking pass (to use a local council car park for free for hotel residents as the hotel has no car park and you have to return it upon checkout). It's a flimsy laminated card with no security marks for authenticity. She said she's going to fake one she'll have free parking in the town if she gets the job down there :D

Minister for finance in the making!

She may be back as a defendant in the District Court over that breakfast

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I couldn't believe it when my 19-year old son won the lottery and didn't want to have anything to do with me when I rang to congratulate him.

His foster family have obviously raised him to be really stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Was in a coffee shop in Emo House the other weekend.

Guy behind me comes in, absolute nonce of a chap. Ordered a coffee and absolutely tormented the poor young one that was making it. Insisted that fresh cream be used instead of milk, asked for it in two take away cups - with chocolate on one and a splash of hazelnut in the other. When the cups were handed to him he ran through everything again just to make sure they were as he ordered. Condescending pr1ck the whole time to the girl. I am standing at the till waiting on some grub to be heated so I am standing right between him and the cashier.

He gets a bottle of water too, the transaction comes to €4.85. He opens the wallet and it is stuffed. He takes out a €50 and is handing it to her only to swipe it back just before she takes it. He says oh I might have something smaller for you. Out comes a €5.

He then says "Hold on to the change for yourself love".

I was snapping. I looked at him and said "All 15c of it, good man yourself". He didnt even acknowledge me and turned and walked out.

Girl on till says that he is a regular apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kneebreaker

Tzardine wrote: »
    Was in a coffee shop in Emo House the other weekend.

Guy behind me comes in, absolute nonce of a chap. Ordered a coffee and absolutely tormented the poor young one that was making it. Insisted that fresh cream be used instead of milk, asked for it in two take away cups - with chocolate on one and a splash of hazelnut in the other. When the cups were handed to him he ran through everything again just to make sure they were as he ordered. Condescending pr1ck the whole time to the girl. I am standing at the till waiting on some grub to be heated so I am standing right between him and the cashier.

He gets a bottle of water too, the transaction comes to €4.85. He opens the wallet and it is stuffed. He takes out a €50 and is handing it to her only to swipe it back just before she takes it. He says oh I might have something smaller for you. Out comes a €5.

He then says "Hold on to the change for yourself love".

I was snapping. I looked at him and said "All 15c of it, good man yourself". He didnt even acknowledge me and turned and walked out.

Girl on till says that he is a regular apparently.
    Is it stingey not to tip when getting take away coffees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Nonce?

Slang for kiddie fiddler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mam of 4 wrote: »

That happened recently enough at a wedding I was at. 2 baskets emptied in the Ladies, one of the bridesmaids saw who'd done it. Reported it to the reception, half an hour later the 2 baskets were replaced by newly bought stuff (obvs the porter was sent down to the local shop).

About 20 mins after that they went missing again. I think this time the Hotel followed up directly with the culprits (other guests staying in the hotel, not part of the wedding).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

Less whinge more stinge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Off topic posts cleaned up. Stingy story or don't post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Live with someone that works in a shop.

Can't leave anything anywhere. It'll get robbed. Stopped leaving toilet paper in the bathroom because it immediately disappears. I don't mean, it gets used, it gets lifted by the next time you use the effing toilet.

Only time toilet paper has been left in there by him is huge rolls obviously robbed from work.

He's going shortly, thank Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

the brother constantly lifts things from my Ma and Da's, anything he can get his hands on.

frying pan's, oven dishes, bottles of whiskey even down to the small jars of herbs and spices.

he waits until no one is home and drops in hangs around until someone comes home and in the mean time stuff just disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Continuing the hotel theme, a couple of years ago I had to drive to Dublin regularly and would park in one of the Q Parks.

Sometimes I stayed overnight and most of the hotels offer a discount card that saves up to 50% of the parking.

If I wasn’t staying I’d go into any hotel on my way and tell them I had stayed there the previous night and had lost the discount card I had been given. Usually saved €5 but once or twice saved €25 as I had stayed in Airbnb’s or with friends who had no parking for me.

Not sure if it’s stingey or not but certainly saved a lot on the privilege of city centre parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

joe stodge wrote: »
    the brother constantly lifts things from my Ma and Da's, anything he can get his hands on.

frying pan's, oven dishes, bottles of whiskey even down to the small jars of herbs and spices.

he waits until no one is home and drops in hangs around until someone comes home and in the mean time stuff just disappears.

I used to that but usually left a bag of washing off aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

mackeire wrote: »
    I used to that but usually left a bag of washing off aswell

I'm convinced he doesn't wash his clothes, he fooking stinkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

went to college with a lad that used to get sausage and chips in the canteen and (he woudl be wearing a hoodie with pockets) and by the time he got to the till he would have the sasauges in his hoodie pocket so he would only have to pay for the chips. i didnt think he was stingy, i thought he was a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

duffysfarm wrote: »
    went to college with a lad that used to get sausage and chips in the canteen and (he woudl be wearing a hoodie with pockets) and by the time he got to the till he would have the sasauges in his hoodie pocket so he would only have to pay for the chips. i didnt think he was stingy, i thought he was a legend!

You’re right he’s not stingy. He’s a thief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

wally79 wrote: »

...with a very smelly, greasy hoodie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Aglomerado wrote: »
    ...with a very smelly, greasy hoodie

And fluffy sausages:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Thought I was reading the Ballyragget thread for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

wally79 wrote: »

yes, i see the error in his ways now. lock him up and throw away the keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

duffysfarm wrote: »

You can imagine his date saying to him...

"So that is just a sausage in your pocket and you're not happy to see me" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

everlast75 wrote: »
    You can imagine his date saying to him...

"So that is just a sausage in your pocket and you're not happy to see me" :(

"Put your hand in my pocket and feel my sausage. It's a bit battered."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

This is very relevant to me right now!

Had an old mate from Belgium staying all week. He invited himself as he was doing some work here in London...I wasn't that keen but agreed as I'm trying to be more charitable etc this year. He stayed Monday to Friday. Ate dinner with us every night, drank loads of our cans/wine..stressed me out a bit as we're very tight on money this month due to my hours being cut at work, but he's fairly good company so I didn't make a big deal of it.

I met him in a cafe this evening to have a quick dinner before he headed home. Went to a cheap Korean place, came to about 7 quid a head, but I only had a card and it turns out they don't take cards. My friend, who had a wallet full of notes, suggested I go to a cash machine, I said there weren't any around that area (this is true)...he begrudgingly agreed to pay for my half and then he said "you can buy me one back next time you're in Belgium."

took me

I just sat and looked at him in amazement and he asked what was up...I couldn't bite my tongue and said "you've stayed with me for free all week, saving about £400 on a hotel bill, you've eaten dinner for free all week, saving about £100 on food, you've drunk loads of our booze which directly cost us about £20, and you're seriously feeling hard done by about paying £7 for my dinner?" The worst part was that he still didn't seem to get it, started going on about how it hadn't cost us anything to have him in our house as he was just sleeping on the sofa and food scales up well.

We had an awkward goodbye hug and he invited me to stay with him in Belgium, but seriously? Is it just me? Staying with someone for 5 nights, bringing no gift, not offering to buy a takeaway and then grumbling over £7?

took me a while to lift my lower jaw after reading this - gee i bring bickies to any house i visit - and if i stay or something i bring wine chocs what ever.. i think it depends on how one is raised

fair play to you for saying it to him - you don't need mates like that, do you?

Advertisement