Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

It sounds like you already work with someone who sees you as a pushover and a free taxi driver. Not much to lose by telling him you don’t fancy driving him. Forget the money, what about your time?

Yeah you're right. Maybe I am a pushover. I'd not be too bothered about the time. But, it would be nice to be offered a bit of money for doing a favour. I'd chip in with money if someone was driving me around. I'd feel awful if I didn't. So I just don't understand why he'd have to be asked. It's kinda common sense this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Kyle More wrote: »
    I'm not so sure if you'd call this stingy or just plain cunning, but here you go: I visited my friend in the UK recently and any time we went out during the day he would insist on paying for 'the small stuff' as we shall refer to it (cup of coffee, slice of cake etc). Then when the evening came and we went out for dinner, he would order a starter, main course, dessert and he even treated himself to a bottle of wine on one such outing. Then when the bill came, his response was 'I assume you're getting this since I paid last time'. Last time? For a cup of coffee vs a full three course dinner? I wasn't there long enough to raise the issue, but just long enough to notice the pattern emerging.

I knew someone who would play that trick as well.
    This is going back about 9-10 years ago but a bunch of us used to go to a bar here in Dublin that did 3 euro drink specials midweek.
    You would always see him start the night buying shots for people (shot was 3 euro each and he'd usually buy about 5-7) He would then go around and ask people for a drink through-out the night. Seeing as how he got you a shot earlier of course you would get him a drink. Thing was he would want a jd and coke (6 euro) but more often a double jd and coke (9 euro)

He would con people with taxi's too. Always giving the speech of having no money by the end of the night and will get it next week. Utter moocher. I really dislike people like this because they think you are not clever enough to see through it or hoping you'll be too soft to pull them up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My brother was telling me a story about our uncle the other day. Uncle Mick hasn't a stingy bone in his body but he can be a bit odd.
    Earlier in the year he asked my brother to bring over a few tools and give him a hand making some kind of a mini greenhouse. They needed a jigsaw(which my brother hadn't got) to cut some perspex. Mick went next door and borrowed a neighbour's one and they got the job done.
    When they were tidying up, my brother found a brand new B&D jigsaw in its box and asked Mick why didn't he use it.
    Mick answered, "Shur it's brand new".

My mother in law is a bit like that too. Buys stuff in Lidl and Aldi and afraid to use it in case anything happens to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People like this ^^ Is it a mental illness ?
    Basically yes. They are miserable grasping people who can never really be happy and who are shunned and laughed at by the rest of society. They have money but cant actually enjoy it.
    I suspect a psychologist would frame it as a personality disorder, not mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

knew someone who would be watching every thing you'd buy like book then in a couple months want to borrow it. I once said to him i had got a cheap 8gig usb key and he wanted me to download a youtube to my pc on my download allowance, copy to new usb - i had not even used it-and give the new unused usb to him to copy to his pc.

I was at a launch of a lady who published a book of poems. i bought one to support her effort even thought i am not into poetry. A couple of months later he wanted to borrow it even though he was at the launch and could have bought. That is what i mean by watching what you buy. he keeps a mental note of everything you would say for future reference borrowing. before i stopped hanging around with him i just stopped telling him anything i bought. once he was trying to get me to buy books so he could borrow them and he would be picking up one cent coins in the street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

job seeker wrote: »
    Well ya. When I first started working with him I was happy to help out! I'd never see someone stuck. because I may be in that situation some day. But I stop these things after a while when I find out more about the person. If there are just take advantage of people or if they are will to pay someone back for helping you out.

My coworker was just a pric* who just took advantage of people. So that's why I stopped it. However, I wouldn't mind about the time, but if someone isn't willing to at least pay me back. I'm not gonna bother with them anymore..

It's a sad reality but there are plenty out there ready to be vultures on those who are kind to them.

Many years ago I remember driving to a fellow I used to know in the Curragh... What was meant to be a visit for a chat and yip-yap (I'd the complimentary biscuits and all, set for a good yap) turned into me playing taxi to do their errands, thus they were saving on their own petrol (the sly bastard said sure lets go for a spin then landed this hatload of errands on me) going to several different places in the process. Bigger fool I was to agree

To top it all off we ended up going to Subway in nawwwwbridge, where he politely asked me could he get a sub. I wasn't hungry but not to seem rude I decided to get something. Then he says he has no money... Foolishly I said I'd get this and he get the next one (never did, wouldn't you know...), he asks sheepishly could he get a drink to which I said yes. Turns to the cashier and says "Make it a large one and a cookie too please"

This was an eye opener to what kind of degenerated, greedy, self centered wannabe hipster this chap was, and probably still is. Ostracized themselves over the coming weeks and months when they tried the same busload of crap on those that he saw as personal cash machines, not friends, all while trying to live in their perfect fantasy land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's a sad reality but there are plenty out there ready to be vultures on those who are kind to them.

Many years ago I remember driving to a fellow I used to know in the Curragh... What was meant to be a visit for a chat and yip-yap (I'd the complimentary biscuits and all, set for a good yap) turned into me playing taxi to do their errands, thus they were saving on their own petrol (the sly bastard said sure lets go for a spin then landed this hatload of errands on me) going to several different places in the process. Bigger fool I was to agree

To top it all off we ended up going to Subway in nawwwwbridge, where he politely asked me could he get a sub. I wasn't hungry but not to seem rude I decided to get something. Then he says he has no money... Foolishly I said I'd get this and he get the next one (never did, wouldn't you know...), he asks sheepishly could he get a drink to which I said yes. Turns to the cashier and says "Make it a large one and a cookie too please"

This was an eye opener to what kind of degenerated, greedy, self centered wannabe hipster this chap was, and probably still is. Ostracized themselves over the coming weeks and months when they tried the same busload of crap on those that he saw as personal cash machines, not friends, all while trying to live in their perfect fantasy land

Jaysus that's shocking alltogether.
    Surprised he didnt try to fit in the aul "anna shnakey packhet o chrishps loike"!

I once knew a swedish chap who didnt understand that the heating wasnt free here. Apparently it's the norm that in the nordics you get heating and hot water for free? Anyway he turned on the heating when he got home and it was ridiculous, he just wanted to warm up his hat on the radiator. I'm not sure if that's stingy (expecting everyone to pay for his hat) or "precious". But i found it odd, and just another reason I'm glad not to live in a houseshare anymore!

Actually, thinking back, I'd have preferred if he used the free heating to wash the damn hat instead of just warming it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

knew someone who would be watching every thing you'd buy like book then in a couple months want to borrow it. I once said to him i had got a cheap 8gig usb key and he wanted me to download a youtube to my pc on my download allowance, copy to new usb - i had not even used it-and give the new unused usb to him to copy to his pc.

I was at a launch of a lady who published a book of poems. i bought one to support her effort even thought i am not into poetry. A couple of months later he wanted to borrow it even though he was at the launch and could have bought. That is what i mean by watching what you buy. he keeps a mental note of everything you would say for future reference borrowing. before i stopped hanging around with him i just stopped telling him anything i bought. once he was trying to get me to buy books so he could borrow them and he would be picking up one cent coins in the street

This is also true of people who listen to everything you say, only to you to find that they are using your anecdotes, jokes, facts/info to talk to people and brazenly do so right in front of you whenever you're out with them. It's like they have no ability of their own, or just plain lazy, and ride on your coat tails for everything.. at first you're just confused when it happens, wondering if you had heard the story from them rather than the other way round.. a real mind f***. And they remember every tiny detail of where you go and what you say, creepy.

I have noticed a couple of people do this to varying degrees over the years. Now, at the first sign of anything like that, I'm out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    This is also true of people who listen to everything you say, only to you to find that they are using your anecdotes, jokes, facts/info to talk to people and brazenly do so right in front of you whenever you're out with them. It's like they have no ability of their own, or just plain lazy, and ride on your coat tails for everything.. at first you're just confused when it happens, wondering if you had heard the story from them rather than the other way round.. a real mind f***. And they remember every tiny detail of where you go and what you say, creepy.

I have noticed a couple of people do this to varying degrees over the years. Now, at the first sign of anything like that, I'm out of there.

Cool story bro.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That reminds me of a girl I was friends with in secondary school. She'd do weird stuff like that. There was a series of books out at the time that she was really into but I wasn't really keen on. Her Mum wouldn't buy her the new book because she'd given her money for other stuff already that month.

It was my birthday the following week and she arrived to the party and handed me a present - the book SHE wanted. She knew her mum would pay for the birthday present, so she told her I wanted the book. I hadn't even got all the wrapping paper off and she was saying I could give her a lend of it when I'd finished with it. I'd only read one other book in the series and didn't like it, so had no desire whatsoever to read this one. I didn't read it, but I didn't lend it to her either, scabby cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some years ago, three of us were away on a job and were gifted three bottles of whisky. One of them was a 17 year old Ardbeg single malt. Last day of the trip when we were sharing the spoils, one of the lads said he didn't want the Ardbeg as he already had one.
    Bottles were selected and we parted ways. It was only the next day I got a flash of the Ardbeg (which I didn't take) being a 10 year old. I called my colleague to confirm this and reminded him that it was a 17 year old we had been given.

Basically, third guy went and bought a 10 year old Ardbeg, substituted it and took the 17 year old for himself.

I was in his house a couple of months later and there was the 17yo sitting proudly in the room I was staying in. I always regretted not nicking that bottle from him.

Neil, if you're reading this, we know what you did!

Cool story, I know.

I remember a girl in Uni, really got on my goat at the time because I was young, polite and didn't quite know how to be assertive. If it happened now, haha, I'd tell her or anyone without batting an eye where to go.. more difficult then of course.

She was doing research for her dissertation and went on and on about it, ad nauseam, like no one else had ever written anything before. Her parents had given her a lot of cash to fly to Europe as part of her history research and she was saving up the last amount herself to increase her spending money while there.

Anyway, she began to help herself to the end of our cigs/roll ups, some of our drink.. finish a sandwich, call in when dinner was being cooked etc. But she was very subtle and cute about it, so got away without anyone fully noticing.. that is, until she started to ask people outright for stuff.

One day she asked me in front of a crowd of people for a cigarette. I had only 2 left from a treat to myself pack as normally could only afford rollies so I told her that as a no. She then asked, looking dumbfounded at me:

"But can you not buy more if you've only 2 left?"

I muttered something or other still not agreeing to her cadging my last fag.. she then turned on me, got angry and gave off ****e saying I can well afford to give her fags as I work in a bar on weekends and have money. We all looked at her stunned - those of of us who worked while at Uni was so we could eat, go out and not be completely skint. She, otoh, didn't have to work as parents were wealthy.. clearly some people live on a different planet thinking the rest of us exist purely for their benefit.

Anyhow.. that was the day I learnt to say F*** off rather eloquently, I have always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mr.Wemmick wrote:
    I remember a girl in Uni, really got on my goat

You dirty dog....... :-)

jcd5971 wrote: »
    You dirty dog....... :-)

Is that your euphemism for it? I've a different one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    I remember a girl in Uni, really got on my goat at the time because I was young, polite and didn't quite know how to be assertive. If it happened now, haha, I'd tell her or anyone without batting an eye where to go.. more difficult then of course.

She was doing research for her dissertation and went on and on about it, ad nauseam, like no one else had ever written anything before. Her parents had given her a lot of cash to fly to Europe as part of her history research and she was saving up the last amount herself to increase her spending money while there.

Anyway, she began to help herself to the end of our cigs/roll ups, some of our drink.. finish a sandwich, call in when dinner was being cooked etc. But she was very subtle and cute about it, so got away without anyone fully noticing.. that is, until she started to ask people outright for stuff.

One day she asked me in front of a crowd of people for a cigarette. I had only 2 left from a treat to myself pack as normally could only afford rollies so I told her that as a no. She then asked, looking dumbfounded at me:

"But can you not buy more if you've only 2 left?"

I muttered something or other still not agreeing to her cadging my last fag.. she then turned on me, got angry and gave off ****e saying I can well afford to give her fags as I work in a bar on weekends and have money. We all looked at her stunned - those of of us who worked while at Uni was so we could eat, go out and not be completely skint. She, otoh, didn't have to work as parents were wealthy.. clearly some people live on a different planet thinking the rest of us exist purely for their benefit.

Anyhow.. that was the day I learnt to say F*** off rather eloquently, I have always thought.

Did she have pure daycent baps at least?

That's shocking!! :eek::eek:

Another thing I just renenbered my coworkier done..

So on one of our drives to his house he wanted to go to home base first, to buy a lock for his gate. So I was like fair enough, it wasn't much out of the way as we were passing it. So I drove into the car park and he was like "park there!" and he pointed at a disabled parking place. So I pretended I didn't hear him and pulled into an normal parking place. Then he goes "why did you do that? now I have to walk an extra 6 meters". He was really pissed off about this. :D So I asked him why he hated walking the extra 6 meters! His reply was "My shoes have holes in the soles and I'm trying to walk as like as possible in them." :eek::eek: I sh1t you not!

Then, we went into home base and went down to the door and gate lock section. He stood there looking at the locks. There where two types of gate locks. From memory one was €3.50 and a sturdier tougher one was €8.00 or close to it. He picked up the €8.00 one and walked over to the till and stood in line. He, proceeded to search for money in his pockets. He took out €3 in coins (1 €1 and 1 €2 coin). He then called me over (I was stood at the door wait for him) and asked if I had €5, so he could buy his gate lock. I pulled my empty pockets out to show that they were empty! He then called over one of the employees of home base and says "have you got €5" :eek::eek::eek::eek: She gives him 5 euro and he pays for his lock! It turned out that the employee was his cousin.

A different time and different stingy person..

I done a catering course in Leitrim about 6 years ago and one such fellow who also done the course was a farmer! He was about mid 60's and wore **** stained slacks, tied with a baler twine keeping them up! A ripped jacket and a paddy cap!

So, one day he arrived into the course late, holding an empty petrol can and explains to the course administrator that his car ran out of petrol 6 miles away and had to thumb for a lift. That was all grand. As the day progressed he asked a few people if they would bring him to get petrol and do a shopping later that day. Everyone he asked made up excuses that they had this, that or the other. So came to me to ask, so not wanting him to leave him stuck, I said I would help him out.

So after the course that day I brought him to a local petrol station where he got his petrol and then he got into my car and he directed me to his farm. He, needed to feed his pigs. He fed his pigs and arsed around moving thing for the following two hours. :rolleyes: I hung around and then we went to his car where he had left it on the side of the road. He got out and filled his car and then came around to the driver side window and said "This is for helping me out, thanks very much!". Here comes few pound I thought! He reached into his pocket and took out a Yorkie bar wrapper with one square left. It had melted into sh1t... So I was like "Thanks".. :rolleyes: He then goes. Sorry I have no money left. I spent it on the petrol. The following day he walks into the course with a brand new pair of Nike Air Max's.. I was in shock!!

A few days later, when everyone was going home. I was talking to this same fella, we were the last two to leave. Then I started my car and he walked over to his. His car, it wouldn't start! :rolleyes: I started to drive off in my car slowly and noticed that he was running after me. :eek: So I thought "Not gonna happen mate!" and stood on the accelerator! With the tyres screeching like mad I continued to drive home.. So, yes, I left him there but felt awful for doing that! :o

Fast forward two years, I was up in Killybegs enrolling in my college course. I walked into the computer room and there he was sitting on the computer reading the farmer's Journal online. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I done a catering course in Leitrim about 6 years ago and one such fellow who also done the course was a farmer! He was about mid 60's and wore **** stained slacks, tied with a baler twine keeping them up! A ripped jacket and a paddy cap!

So, one day he arrived into the course late, holding an empty petrol can and explains to the course administrator that his car ran out of petrol 6 miles away and had to thumb for a lift.

A stingy farmer using a petrol engined car? Seems like he's missed a trick there with the aul' agricultural diesel.

check_six wrote: »
    A stingy farmer using a petrol engined car? Seems like he's missed a trick there with the aul' agricultural diesel.

Out of the whole story THAT'S what you take from it!? :pac:

Ano, he had a 97 1 litre opel corsa! He didn't have a large farm and because his brother had a tractor, he got the bother to do all the tractor work for free... Oh ya, that's another thing!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Out of the whole story THAT'S what you take from it!? :pac:

Ano, he had a 97 1 litre opel corsa! He didn't have a large farm and because his brother had a tractor, he got the bother to do all the tractor work for free... Oh ya, that's another thing!! :D

Ha! You're right. I've been so intrigued by this thread and discovering all kinds of stinge possibilities that I could never have imagined before that I'm starting to get inside the mind of a stinge-meister and look for new angles.

It's a bit like when the detective has to put himself inside the mind of the serial killer if he wants to catch him. Maybe every time you catch a stinge-aholic in this manner you lose a bit of your soul too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A few days later, when everyone was going home. I was talking to this same fella, we were the last two to leave. Then I started my car and he walked over to his. His car, it wouldn't start! :rolleyes: I started to drive off in my car slowly and noticed that he was running after me. :eek: So I thought "Not gonna happen mate!" and stood on the accelerator! With the tyres screeching like mad I continued to drive home.. So, yes, I left him there but felt awful for doing that! :o

Fast forward two years, I was up in Killybegs enrolling in my college course. I walked into the computer room and there he was sitting on the computer reading the farmer's Journal online. :rolleyes:

Thanks for a much need laugh on Monday :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Lived with a girl once who was using my Netflix account religiously every night. Raved about House of Cards (and most of the other Netflix's only shows). Always came home and sat down on the couch and watched something on Netflix for 3-4 hours every night.

Both my BF and I had accounts and he said there was no point in us both paying so I closed my account.

Housemate signed up for the free month of Netflix and then said she was cancelling it as 'It wasn't worth the money'. So it was brilliant when she wasn't paying for it but when she had to pay for it herself it wasn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I was at the match in Copenhagen.

As you might imagine there was a fair amount of drinking done.

I noticed that there was a really well dressed guy going through the bins regularly and he was taking empty cans out.

I reckon he was collecting them for money.

There was no reason for him to be rooting in the bins, he didn't look homeless or anything. If anything he looked really wealthy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I noticed that there was a really well dressed guy going through the bins regularly and he was taking empty cans out.

There was no reason for him to be rooting in the bins, he didn't look homeless or anything. If anything he looked really wealthy

You don't get wealthy by throwing you cans away sure.

Years ago I was at a wedding.

One of our fellow guests was a well known shop owner.

What he did was take the hotels unused newspapers and cut the tops of them so he could collect the money on them.

People still talk about it to this day.

You don't get wealthy by throwing you cans away sure.

True enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Lived with a girl once who was using my Netflix account religiously every night. Raved about House of Cards (and most of the other Netflix's only shows). Always came home and sat down on the couch and watched something on Netflix for 3-4 hours every night.

Both my BF and I had accounts and he said there was no point in us both paying so I closed my account.

Housemate signed up for the free month of Netflix and then said she was cancelling it as 'It wasn't worth the money'. So it was brilliant when she wasn't paying for it but when she had to pay for it herself it wasn't worth it.

That reminds me. I used to share my Netflix with my cousin. I was paying for it anyway so I didn't think much of it.

Anyway between work and life in general I didn't really have the time to use it so I cancelled it. Very next day I get a call wondering why the Netflix stopped working. It was soon followed by comments about how I'm a mean aul ****e and I can well afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Years ago I was at a wedding.

One of our fellow guests was a well known shop owner.

What he did was take the hotels unused newspapers and cut the tops of them so he could collect the money on them.

People still talk about it to this day.

I used to work in the head office of a family owned wholesaler. They used to advertise in the top Right hand corner of the front page of the local paper every week.

My colleague in the accounts office used to have to go out every Thursday and buy the local paper with her own money, snip out the ad and attach it to the invoice from the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Denmark has a robust recycling system where the majority of cans can be recycled, you'd rack up quite an amount of money per year from the cans it has to be said. I don't see anything stingey about that at all. Fair play to him.

I, personally wouldn't go into the trash but I'm not going to judge him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lad in work used to be a whore for the meanness.

Every Monday there were 4 of us at the 1 table. 3 of us would pull out our biccies for the lunch. Used to get a laugh when one would pull out something fancy and we'd laugh and rub our hands at the treats coming. Sometimes you'd see shortbread and there would be a "ah jesus lovely, haven't had those in ages".

Misery hole used to "pretend" he'd forgotten to go to the supermarket at the weekend but he'd have a stash for us tomorrow....except tomorrow never came. We'd pull him regular on it but he'd brazen it out.

To top it off he used to scab tobacco off another lad every day with the promise of "I'll get some tomorrow".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I used to live in a bedsit in Dublin City and there was a lad next door who never came out except to ask me for a "loan" of a cigarette until Thursday. Needless to say I never seen him on a Thursday. God love him though, I didn't really begrudge him.

On the other hand, my daughters friend sometimes uses my Netflix and when the 2 of them are logged in I can't get in so I'll give my daughter a shout to tell her friend to get off and she logs herself out rather than ask the friend to log out cause she'll "freak out". :eek:

Advertisement