Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

pilly wrote: »
    I used to live in a bedsit in Dublin City and there was a lad next door who never came out except to ask me for a "loan" of a cigarette until Thursday. Needless to say I never seen him on a Thursday. God love him though, I didn't really begrudge him.

On the other hand, my daughters friend sometimes uses my Netflix and when the 2 of them are logged in I can't get in so I'll give my daughter a shout to tell her friend to get off and she logs herself out rather than ask the friend to log out cause she'll "freak out". :eek:

Change your password and discourage the "friendship"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

This thread should be titled, "Leechy things you've seen leeches do".
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    This thread should be titled, "Leechy things you've seen leeches do".

Quit leeching of the thread's success :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

joe stodge wrote: »
    I've seen a woman who's daughter is in my kids class filling a small rubbish bin in a shopping centre car park with bags form the boot of her car numerous times.

imagine driving around with bin bags in the boot of your car until you find a bin to stick them in.

Watched a guy with a big binbag of rubbish walk along the street stuffing rubbish into all the bins. When he was finished he got back into is not quite a year old car and drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    This thread should be titled, "Leechy things you've seen leeches 2".

Fyp... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

A relative took €50 petrol money of his 81 year old father for the journey to the outpatients appointment where the father was to get the news if his cancer was malignant or not. Boasted afterward that his car was so efficient the drive only used €12 petrol. Also took the hospital parking fee of the man and the price of meal on the journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

FanadMan wrote: »
    Watched a guy with a big binbag of rubbish walk along the street stuffing rubbish into all the bins. When he was finished he got back into is not quite a year old car and drive away.

Did he save the bin bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My dad was self employed and used to rob stationery from home and bring it to work such was his determination to hang onto his operating capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Is not having a netflix account seen as stingy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    A relative took €50 petrol money of his 81 year old father for the journey to the outpatients appointment where the father was to get the news if his cancer was malignant or not. Boasted afterward that his car was so efficient the drive only used €12 petrol. Also took the hospital parking fee of the man and the price of meal on the journey home.

"I'll take things that never happened for $500 please, Alex..."

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I used to work in the head office of a family owned wholesaler. They used to advertise in the top Right hand corner of the front page of the local paper every week.

My colleague in the accounts office used to have to go out every Thursday and buy the local paper with her own money, snip out the ad and attach it to the invoice from the paper.

No. No she didn't have to.

Irish people love making a martyr outta themselves... must be something to do with Catholic Guilt or a need for a Sense of Purpose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I bring my own teabags to college so I don't have to pay €1 for a cup of tea.
    Stingy and proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That's disgusting. What a prick.

anna080 wrote: »
    Stingy and proud!

That's not even remotely stingy. That displays a healthy respect for money... try harder, Anna! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    "I'll take things that never happened for $500 please, Alex..."

I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out.
    I have a neighbour that had an elderly aunt down from Dublin for a week.
    the aunt got the bus down and had planed to bus back but couldn't on that last day due to times of buses .

neighbour decides that she will drive the aunt up. all good or so the relatives thought until the aunt rang back that evening. the neighbour charged her 80 euro for the taxi , 4 tolls, and dinner on the way.

worst part is she didn't even use her own car but her brothers.
    she only did it so that she could get a free trip to Dublin so she could go to ikea .

I know its true , I know several involved and they all have the exact same story and I have see her brother bring it up with her when he has a few drinks down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

No. No she didn't have to.

Irish people love making a martyr outta themselves... must be something to do with Catholic Guilt or a need for a Sense of Purpose...

I agree; I wouldn't have done it. We were all on minimum wage there! :mad:

I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out.
    I have a neighbour that had an elderly aunt down from Dublin for a week.
    the aunt got the bus down and had planed to bus back but couldn't on that last day due to times of buses .

neighbour decides that she will drive the aunt up. all good or so the relatives thought until the aunt rang back that evening. the neighbour charged her 80 euro for the taxi , 4 tolls, and dinner on the way.

worst part is she didn't even use her own car but her brothers.
    she only did it so that she could get a free trip to Dublin so she could go to ikea .

I know its true , I know several involved and they all have the exact same story and I have see her brother bring it up with her when he has a few drinks down

Culchies are f*ckin weird, Man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I know. who would want to go to Dublin let alone look forward to it:eek::D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I've heard this story a lot in my life. I'm beginning to doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Weird and stink like fook as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

nice_guy80 wrote: »

No, but scrounging off someone else for ages, and then complaining it's crap when you have to pay for it yourself, or throwing a hissy fit when the rightful account owner asks you to log off, definitely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Stingy and proud!

I'd call that prudent.
    Nothing stingy about not paying through the nose.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

When I was a teenager in the '90s, the father of one of my friend's was a notorious stinge.

He installed a landline phone in their house that could only take incoming calls, so that people always had to ring them.

When my friend and her sisters objected, he then installed a payphone so that if they wanted to call someone, they had to pay for themselves.

The latter wasn't so bad, I guess. My parents and some of the other parents of my friend's and her sister's friends resented the one-way phone. Teenagers are going to call each other and they felt that they were all paying part of his phone bill for him. It should be two-way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I used to work in the head office of a family owned wholesaler. They used to advertise in the top Right hand corner of the front page of the local paper every week.

My colleague in the accounts office used to have to go out every Thursday and buy the local paper with her own money, snip out the ad and attach it to the invoice from the paper.

I still don't understand the stinge here :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,493 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I still don't understand the stinge here :confused:

the stinge was on the part of the company. the employee had to buy the paper with their own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

he would be picking up one cent coins in the street

That might not be stingy, remember the saying "pick a penny up and all day long you'll have good luck?" somewhere along the way that got warped for my dads family and they see it as bad luck to not pick it up and put it in a charity bucket. I've no clue where it came from but whenever my dad see's we have 1c's its straight to a charity bucket!

I was in a nice little country pub when there was a rugby match on so all the locals were there. One man pulls out 3 tubs of pringles and a 2 lr of coke for his kids and then proceeds to buy himself a few pints and ask the barman for 3 glasses for the kids while they watch the match. His poor wife looked mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I was in a nice little country pub when there was a rugby match on so all the locals were there. One man pulls out 3 tubs of pringles and a 2 lr of coke for his kids and then proceeds to buy himself a few pints and ask the barman for 3 glasses for the kids while they watch the match. His poor wife looked mortified.

In fairness to him it would have cost him the GDP of a small country to keep the kids in coke and pringles if he was buying them in the bar! Would have been the first to cry stinge before I had kids but with 2 of them in tow everything becomes infinitely more expensive. Surprised the barman put up with it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭benny79

In fairness loads of people do this when you have kids you will understand.. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

nice_guy80 wrote: »

If you use someone else's it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Stingy and proud!

I don't know how people drink cold tea, but if it saves you €1 more power to you.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement