Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't know how people drink cold tea, but if it saves you €1 more power to you.

It's not cold! I just ask for a cup of hot water and there's no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

cantdecide wrote: »
    My dad was self employed and used to rob stationery from home and bring it to work such was his determination to hang onto his operating capital.

Another day, another box of stolen pens!

oLFSaqR.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Milk bought at the discount section, then said milk was frozen when brought home.

New one on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I know someone who used to buy bread in the evening as it was 2 pence -pre euro- cheaper. He goes to a different city to go for drink with friends and stays over and brings sandwiches so as not to have to spend on chipper.

All thses penny pinchers lead miserable lives and have no more than i have. One has an old bedsit and says he does not care about material thing and hates capitalism. he just hates it because capitalism includes spending money. For a long time he was using a USB key he found after it was rolled over by a van to back up files, trying to tell me they are really stong inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A friend of mine lived near a main road and he owned a car but if he wasn't under pressure and the weather was good, he'd hitch a lift into town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

cantdecide wrote: »
    A friend of mine lived near a main road and he owned a car but if he wasn't under pressure and the weather was good, he'd hitch a lift into town.

Hardly stinge, just 'cute' as we would say. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

pilly wrote: »
    If you use someone else's it is!

No it's not. I dont even know who's paying for my Netflix. Neighbour gave me details of one of his buddies accounts who's ok with it seemingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

No it's not. I dont even know who's paying for my Netflix. Neighbour gave me details of one of his buddies accounts who's ok with it seemingly.

Maybe not so much stingy as leechy as someone else mentioned earlier.

Why wouldn't you pay for the excellent service Netflix provides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

pilly wrote: »
    Maybe not so much stingy as leechy as someone else mentioned earlier.

Why wouldn't you pay for the excellent service Netflix provides?

I did up until 2 or 3 years ago, but never really used it tbh. Even now I use it only occasionally. Have a couple of paid and unpaid stream sources.
    I don't feel like I'm leeching, it was offered to me I took it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I know someone who used to buy bread in the evening as it was 2 pence -pre euro- cheaper. He goes to a different city to go for drink with friends and stays over and brings sandwiches so as not to have to spend on chipper.

All thses penny pinchers lead miserable lives and have no more than i have. One has an old bedsit and says he does not care about material thing and hates capitalism. he just hates it because capitalism includes spending money. For a long time he was using a USB key he found after it was rolled over by a van to back up files, trying to tell me they are really stong inside

What do you mean he goes to a different city to go for a drink...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

What do you mean he goes to a different city to go for a drink...?
    he has friends there and as far as i know has not got much social life where he lives. i think they go to a nightclub or a pub with disco. he stays over and the sandwiches are to save money on chipper after.

i thought of something else and it is gone out of my head not about him i don't think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

he has friends there and as far as i know has not got much social life where he lives. i think they go to a nightclub or a pub with disco. he stays over and the sandwiches are to save money on chipper after.

i thought of something else and it is gone out of my head not about him i don't think

Maybe he just doesn't like chipper food. I find most chipper food disgusting as well as unhealthy, I'd prefer a sandwich any day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

anna080 wrote: »
    It's not cold! I just ask for a cup of hot water and there's no charge.

I use too do the same in my old college, mainly because the ones they supplied the tea was weak and was most likely lyons tea bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I'm so mean I wake up at night to see did I lose any sleep....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I use too do the same in my old college, mainly because the ones they supplied the tea was weak and was most likely lyons tea bags.

I did the same. Brought in a travel mug to keep it warm for later. 20c for a large hot water and you're set.

I was drinking gunpowder green tea at the time so it didn't need milk.

It was stingy to be fair but I was p1ss poor so im not sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

I did the same. Brought in a travel mug to keep it warm for later. 20c for a large hot water and you're set.

I was drinking gunpowder green tea at the time so it didn't need milk.

It was stingy to be fair but I was p1ss poor so im not sorry.

By doing that you got more bang for your buck! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Five years ago I was studying in the Netherlands. I go to know a lovely Dutch girl with whom I was quite friendly. I was 21 at the time and she was 18.

She's now 23 and finish up her history masters degree, so she is somewhat penniless. I still have contact with her. She shared her money-saving tips with me.

She does her shopping in a supermarket where you can scan your own stuff and put it into the trolley (similar to Superquinn / Supervalu here).

If, on the rare occasion a spot check on the contents of the trolley is done, it is never very thorough.

She will often scan 6 cans of beer and put in 9 into her trolley, she'll weigh a few fruit and veg on the scales and put some more in the bag after the sticker is printed, sometimes she weighs more premium fruit & veg as "onions", she'll scan the bar code for tiny baguettes and put big ones into the trolley, she'll often scan shop brand cola and put Coca Cola in the trolley (the device will say "Cola", so the shop staff probably won't cop on), on the odd occasion, she'll put food into the trolley and bury it under other things without scanning it.

She usually saves €7 on €50 worth of messages.

She hasn't been caught yet. Fingers crossed she won't.

I love her and her ideas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Five years ago I was studying in the Netherlands. I go to know a lovely Dutch girl with whom I was quite friendly. I was 21 at the time and she was 18.

She's now 23 and finish up her history masters degree, so she is somewhat penniless. I still have contact with her. She shared her money-saving tips with me.

She does her shopping in a supermarket where you can scan your own stuff and put it into the trolley (similar to Superquinn / Supervalu here).

If, on the rare occasion a spot check on the contents of the trolley is done, it is never very thorough.

She will often scan 6 cans of beer and put in 9 into her trolley, she'll weigh a few fruit and veg on the scales and put some more in the bag after the sticker is printed, she'll often scan shop brand cola and put Coca Cola in the trolley (the device will say "Cola", so the shop staff probably won't cop on).

That's theft!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

That's theft!

Was thinking the same it's basically stealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Hococop wrote:
    Was thinking the same it's basically stealing

No basically about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

No basically about it!

Yeah, it's literally the same as walking into a shop, loading up your pockets with random stuff and walking out. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

She will often scan 6 cans of beer and put in 9 into her trolley, she'll weigh a few fruit and veg on the scales and put some more in the bag after the sticker is printed, sometimes she weighs more premium fruit & veg as "onions", she'll scan the bar code for tiny baguettes and put big ones into the trolley, she'll often scan shop brand cola and put Coca Cola in the trolley (the device will say "Cola", so the shop staff probably won't cop on), on the odd occasion, she'll put food into the trolley and bury it under other things without scanning it.

She usually saves €7 on €50 worth of messages.

She hasn't been caught yet. Fingers crossed she won't.

Despite her History Masters, she has not learned right from wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Anyone who's worked in the hospitality industry could vouch for the scabiness of a lot of the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭storker

nuac wrote: »
    Despite her History Masters, she has not learned right from wrong

Nor how to weigh risk vs reward, I'd say.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Crime doesn't pay, and neither does she! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

We pretty much know this woman is hot based on the above.

She's a common thief and many of the things she does aren't even clever, just brazen. She *will* get caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Those scales are very accurate.The other day I scanned a load of stuff and a 3 litre carton of milk when the self service till started beeping. Turns ou t there was a leak in the carton and it was fifty grammes short of the recorded weight. I got another carton and a free half litre of cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,825 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

sligojoek wrote: »
    Those scales are very accurate.The other day I scanned a load of stuff and a 3 litre carton of milk when the self service till started beeping. Turns ou t there was a leak in the carton and it was fifty grammes short of the recorded weight. I got another carton and a free half litre of cream.

Did you (ahem) take the Dutch option? :D
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

That would actually be hilarious, if you worked towards a masters and career and then ended up with a criminal record over 7 quid of shopping :pac:

To be fair, no one would get a criminal record over a few messages. :p

Advertisement