Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

To be fair, no one would get a criminal record over a few messages. :p

I doubt you’d be praising her if you weren’t so clearly fond of her.

Try and make an arms-length judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

That would actually be hilarious, if you worked towards a masters and career and then ended up with a criminal record over 7 quid of shopping :pac:

They should. Stealing is stealing and gloating over stealing shows a lack of character.

I wouldn't want to work with her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Imagine sharing a house with her. She would *shudder* take your best stuff from the fridge and not replace it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine how far she would go if she actually existed!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Another thing she does is she buys some clothes in Penneys in Amsterdam (Primark, whatever). She’ll then no back in with the receipt the next day and take an identical item off the shelf for a refund :p money back and free clothes still at home :D That might be verging on slight dishonesty though :p

• Advertisement

Another thing she does is she buys some clothes in Penneys in Amsterdam (Primark, whatever). She’ll then no back in with the receipt the next day and take an identical item off the shelf for a refund :p money back and free clothes still at home :D That might be verging on slight dishonesty though :p

No I know we're being WUM'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sainsbury's and Tesco in the UK have really coped on to the "onion" trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

So how many times has she rejected you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

All the clothing have anti-theft labels on it as well so it clearly wouldnt have been purchased.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    So how many times has she rejected you?

We were never any more than buddies. I’ve been with my gf 5 years since shortly after my return to Ireland. She’s constantly lamenting about being single. I feel bad for her, she’s a nice girl.
    All the clothing have anti-theft labels on it as well so it clearly wouldnt have been purchased.

No alarms in Penneys / Prinark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Barcodes wouldn't match.....and a manager would be called to the Customer services desk....and eventually maybe the police 👮

Clearly you've never shopped in the one in Liverpool.

Barcodes wouldn't match.....and a manager would be called to the Customer services desk....and eventually maybe the police 👮

Of course they would. All identical items have the same barcode. It’s how the till knows what it’s scanning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Five years ago I was studying in the Netherlands. I go to know a lovely Dutch girl with whom I was quite friendly. I was 21 at the time and she was 18.

She's now 23 and finish up her history masters degree, so she is somewhat penniless. I still have contact with her. She shared her money-saving tips with me.

She does her shopping in a supermarket where you can scan your own stuff and put it into the trolley (similar to Superquinn / Supervalu here).

If, on the rare occasion a spot check on the contents of the trolley is done, it is never very thorough.

She will often scan 6 cans of beer and put in 9 into her trolley, she'll weigh a few fruit and veg on the scales and put some more in the bag after the sticker is printed, sometimes she weighs more premium fruit & veg as "onions", she'll scan the bar code for tiny baguettes and put big ones into the trolley, she'll often scan shop brand cola and put Coca Cola in the trolley (the device will say "Cola", so the shop staff probably won't cop on), on the odd occasion, she'll put food into the trolley and bury it under other things without scanning it.

She usually saves €7 on €50 worth of messages.

She hasn't been caught yet. Fingers crossed she won't.

I love her and her ideas :D

Clearly Education doesn't mean intelligence in all cases and I guess she's using the self scan in Albert Heijn :) which has some bizarre conditions attached to it like:

Are you a Citizen of a Country that the US has a trade embargo with ? :D

Public Prosecutor will go to town on your for taking even small items.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fnos.nl%2Fartikel%2F2013754-zelfscan-kassa-lokt-diefstal-uit.html&edit-text=

Dope could end up with a criminal record, bye bye any visa opportunities outside the EU and even some jobs that will request a criminal record check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

We were never any more than buddies. I’ve been with my gf 5 years since shortly after my return to Ireland. She’s constantly lamenting about being single. I feel bad for her, she’s a nice girl.

she is clearly not a nice person

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

_Dara_ wrote: »
    We pretty much know this woman is hot based on the above.

She's a common thief and many of the things she does aren't even clever, just brazen. She *will* get caught.

Shes already guilty of stealing......@OPs Heart! awwwww :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Off topic stuff removed. Back on track please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Clearly you've never shopped in the one in Liverpool.

For the Primark in Lille, the security asks everybody with a backpack to open them up as you enter and leave the store :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭aj89

At a wedding a few months back - a couple who didn't book a room for the night asked the best man if they could stay in his room (he was a bit taken a back but kipped in another mate anyway). They fecked off to bed around 11pm and never offered him money for the room.

Earlier in the night when we realized they were staying, a friend said they could get a lift back with them the next day. Low and behold there was a knock on said friends door at 8am by couple saying they were ready to go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

I work in an office in Cavan and I S#*t you not.

Theres a lad that peels oranges up his sleeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,493 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Delta1138 wrote: »
    I work in an office in Cavan and I S#*t you not.

Theres a lad that peels oranges up his sleeve.

does he also eat his dinner from a drawer?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

aj89 wrote: »
    At a wedding a few months back - a couple who didn't book a room for the night asked the best man if they could stay in his room (he was a bit taken a back but kipped in another mate anyway). They fecked off to bed around 11pm and never offered him money for the room.

Earlier in the night when we realized they were staying, a friend said they could get a lift back with them the next day. Low and behold there was a knock on said friends door at 8am by couple saying they were ready to go home!

Did they get breakfast using the room number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭aj89

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Did they get breakfast using the room number?

Hmmm that I don't actually know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was at a wedding a few years ago , a well dressed woman was sat chatting at the bar after the meal . I was chatting to the parents of the groom and asked who she was .They thought she was on the brides side .Later we saw her up dancing and eating the sandwiches etc . Mother of the groom later asked the other side who she was and no one knew her !! Someone reported it to the hotel in the morning .Manager asked to see them as he was getting suspicious that this was a regular feature and he had got other complaints that year about a gate crasher !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

That cr*p happened to me as well, except it was a relative came up and said "I gave them your room as they want to stay on and have a few drinks"

He couldn't fathom why I was pissed off as I'd traveled from Abroad after booking the room myself and giving credit card details.

I booked a room in another hotel close by, went to reception and complained they shouldn't have changed my booking without my consent.

Stayed in the other hotel, then the next day got a call from the relative that had taken our room with his girlfriend "Hey come ere, were checking out and they say we have to pay for the room, where are you can you come over and sort this out"

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Told them to take a hike :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you read the motor tax renewal form carefully, it instructs you that, for example, your current disc expires in November - application must be made prior to or during December ie, it must be expired for a month or more before you're doing anything wrong.

My dad (probably the stingiest person I know) has the looking after of his car, my mother's car and two work vans. Now, the vast majority of us would tax a vehicle such that we never drove with an expired disc. My dad has himself, his staff and my mam hooning around with expired discs several times a year. He will always pay (except when he forgets and has to pay the arrears) but I'm sure all he gets is a gratifying experience of beating the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you read the motor tax renewal form carefully, it instructs you that, for example, your current disc expires in November - application must be made prior to or during December ie, it must be expired for a month or more before you're doing anything wrong.

My dad (probably the stingiest person I know) has the looking after of his car, my mother's car and two work vans. Now, the vast majority of us would tax a vehicle such that we never drove with an expired disc. My dad has himself, his staff and my mam hooning around with expired discs several times a year. He will always pay (except when he forgets and has to pay the arrears) but I'm sure all he gets is a gratifying experience of beating the system.

On my work commute I regularly see Garda checkpoints for tax & insurance, it's stinges like your dad the Gardaí are looking to catch!

Funnily enough I haven't seen a breath testing checkpoint in a number of years despite the high numbers of tests carried out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

cantdecide wrote: »

Really? I thought if you forgot to renew (intentionally or genuinely) when you eventually paid it was back-dates to the actual date of renewal; i
    .e. Renewal date Nov. 5th 2017, don't pay until December 2017 but when you do pay it's backdated to Nov. 5th 2017 anyway so next renewal is Nov. 5th 2018?

I know our civil service are bad at times but surely someone had spotted this before now?

On my work commute I regularly see Garda checkpoints for tax & insurance, it's stinges like your dad the Gardaí are looking to catch!

I was driving my mother in her car the other day and we came to a checkpoint and I had totally forgotten about this habit. The first thing my mother said 'my tax is out' but the guard just waved us through - they can't do anything until it's out over a month. My mother tells me that sometimes, they'll stop her and say 'errr your tax is out' and she has to pretend she's just forgotten and promise to tax it :rolleyes: I think my dad's name is probably cursed at that point.
    Funnily enough I haven't seen a breath testing checkpoint in a number of years despite the high numbers of tests carried out :rolleyes:

I've been breathalysed just once in my life.

• Advertisement

Really? I thought if you forgot to renew (intentionally or genuinely) when you eventually paid it was back-dates to the actual date of renewal; i
    .e. Renewal date Nov. 5th 2017, don't pay until December 2017 but when you do pay it's backdated to Nov. 5th 2017 anyway so next renewal is Nov. 5th 2018?

I know our civil service are bad at times but surely someone had spotted this before now?

The system only works in whole months. In my example above, the full text is "your current disc will expire on the last last day of November 2017. Application must be made prior to or during December 2017. The new disc will begin at the start of December 2017 as long as you apply before the 31st of December. If you wait until January, you will get a 3 month disc (or 6 mth or 12mth) that starts in January but you will pay a back month of the December as an extra month.

It's not a loophole, it's just a month's 'grace' period for you to get it sorted. You're not driving illegally until it's expire more than a month but it will still have to be paid for at some point. Leaving it go for the month just gives you some explaining to do if a guard is having a quiet day.

EDIT: jaysus, it's like I'm advocating kicking it down the road!!

Advertisement