Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

where is the depetion or thieft

If the price the shop is asking is paid I don’t see a problem with it, but if the customer is getting a special price due to knowing someone in the shop it’s a bit underhanded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    If the price the shop is asking is paid I don’t see a problem with it, but if the customer is getting a special price due to knowing someone in the shop it’s a bit underhanded

that's my thinking. if he is getting stuff at reduced rates then its wrong but it doesn't seem to be that way. just a heads up that its for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

that's my thinking. if he is getting stuff at reduced rates then its wrong but it doesn't seem to be that way. just a heads up that its for sale

Well there’s also the fact that the good stock is gone before anyone else sees it so people are less likely to go to the shop

wally79 wrote: »
    Well there’s also the fact that the good stock is gone before anyone else sees it so people are less likely to go to the shop

yes but that could happen anyway. some people go around to charity shops every day just to see if anything new came in. .

nothing stingy , or inappropriate going on

yes but that could happen anyway. some people go around to charity shops every day just to see if anything new came in. .

nothing stingy , or inappropriate going on

And if this shop never has any good new stuff they’ll stop going

But all the same

Less whinge more stinge

• Advertisement

And if this shop never has any good new stuff they’ll stop going

But all the same

Less whinge more stinge

yes but where is the deception or thieft

yes but where is the deception or thieft

Well they are taking custom from a charity shop.

Well they are taking custom from a charity shop.

in what way. the shop still gets paid. that is its goal.to make money for the charity.
    it is also freeing up space for other stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Will ye shut up!

I get excited at the prospect of a good stinge story only to find this crap!

Will ye shut up!

I get excited at the prospect of a good stinge story only to find this crap!

exactly. too much rubbish nonsense being posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Quit the arguing. More stinge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

exactly. too much rubbish nonsense being posted

Eh you're one of the main culprits :pac:

Eh you're one of the main culprits :pac:

no . this is a thread for stinge stories. someone posted a story with no sting in it, I pointed that out . then other claims were made about it like it being theft . also un true.

all I am doing is standing up for the quality of this fine thread

in what way. the shop still gets paid. that is its goal.to make money for the charity.
    it is also freeing up space for other stuff

But the good stuff draws customers in and they also buy some of the less good stuff. If there’s never good stuff then less people will come in. Same as a normal shop.

Short term gain long term loss

Sorry won’t keep going on about it

But the good stuff draws customers in and they also buy some of the less good stuff. If there’s never good stuff then less people will come in. Same as a normal shop.

Short term gain long term loss

Sorry won’t keep going on about it

I agree there are other knock on effects and it mightn't be the best plan overall but its not stingy , dishonest or theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Maybe start a thread on AH about it. Id even join in myself.

My tuppence worth. If the guy pays the shops asking price , well and good. If his mate is selling more valuable stuff for a few quid then that's wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,662 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Let’s move it on from the charity shop discussion, 2 pages is more than enough. More Stinge Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Years ago a friend was going out with a barman in a pub we used to drink in. She would announce that she was going to the bar and did anyone want pints. She would take money from people and very kindly go to the bar.

This part alone would immediately turn me off someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

elefant wrote: »
    This part alone would immediately turn me off someone.

I've no problem with that.
    Rounds are a really stupid way to drink.
    Let's all drink at the pace of the fastest drinker!
    Also, so many different priced drinks, now. Not everyone drinks standard pints.

When drinking in rounds, you almost always end up either drinking more than you've paid for paying for more than you drank. How is that a good thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭veryangryman

When drinking in rounds, you almost always end up either drinking more than you've paid for paying for more than you drank. How is that a good thing?

Trick is to only do rounds in 2-3 people who do roughly the same drinking speed. If this is not possible, go solo.

It saves ye all lining up like miserable students, especially in a packed bar and gets the transaction out of the way and more time for fingur and a shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

It saves ye all lining up like miserable students, especially in a packed bar and gets the transaction out of the way and more time for fingur and a shift[/QUOTE]

You aul smoothie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You don't have to drink in huge rounds.

But I can't imagine a situation where I'd offer to get drinks, and then go from person to person looking for cash. Do people really do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Especially when the missus has decided she suddenly likes Gin and Tonic with elderflower.

I dont like asking for that particular drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

I find rounds to be the fairest to be honest.

A, buys drinks for B & C. B buys drinks for A & C. then, C buys drinks for A & B. Each person buys 3 drinks. So it ends up the same as if you bought yourself 3 drinks. As for the speed of drinking. I'd not be a fast drinker, but I'd not be sipping it either.. Never actually had an issue with the speed of someons drinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

job seeker wrote: »
    I find rounds to be the fairest to be honest.

A, buys drinks for B & C. B buys drinks for A & C. then, C buys drinks for A & B. Each person buys 3 drinks. So it ends up the same as if you bought yourself 3 drinks. As for the speed of drinking. I'd not be a fast drinker, but I'd not be sipping it either.. Never actually had an issue with the speed of someons drinking..

Thanks, I'll have a double G&T please while you;re up getting your Smithwicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What if you're in the pub with A, B, C, D, E, and F? What if someone is on spirits and someone else is on wine?
    I'd rather buy people a drink if I'm going up and not worry about it balancing out that evening, or ever. If someone takes the piss, stop drinking with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Oh for fück sake. Knock it off. From now on if you've no stinge story don't bloody post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McCrack

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I went to a Wetherspoons for something to eat with two of my friends recently, me and one of my mates ordered a steak and chips (each) and some onion rings to share. Friend 2 said he wasn't hungry, but ate most of the onion rings, asked us to save him some steak, and helped himself to our chips too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I arranged a weekend away a few years ago, around 16 people, most of whom knew each other but a few newcomers there as well. I booked dinner in a really nice restaurant, food was fantastic and a good time was had by all.

One of the new girls who had come along was seated up at the other end of the long table so I didn't realise this had happened, but apparently she only ordered the salad starter, said she didn't want a main course, ate every piece of bread that arrived and then over the course of the meal managed to bag herself a "taste" of what everyone around her was having before then asking for the leftovers of every single plate within reach. By all accounts she ate pretty well that night.

It was so strange, this was a very social group and a great bunch to get to know and for the sake of a €20 euro meal (one that was superb to boot) she made an impression that very much left her as an outsider. I mean, asking a bunch of people you have just met for all their leftovers, was it really worth it?

And before anybody asks, no it wasn't the actions of a desperately hungry but skint young woman. She just had meanness in her bones, I saw more and more examples of it the longer I knew her.

Advertisement