Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I arranged a weekend away a few years ago, around 16 people, most of whom knew each other but a few newcomers there as well. I booked dinner in a really nice restaurant, food was fantastic and a good time was had by all.

One of the new girls who had come along was seated up at the other end of the long table so I didn't realise this had happened, but apparently she only ordered the salad starter, said she didn't want a main course, ate every piece of bread that arrived and then over the course of the meal managed to bag herself a "taste" of what everyone around her was having before then asking for the leftovers of every single plate within reach. By all accounts she ate pretty well that night.

It was so strange, this was a very social group and a great bunch to get to know and for the sake of a €20 euro meal (one that was superb to boot) she made an impression that very much left her as an outsider. I mean, asking a bunch of people you have just met for all their leftovers, was it really worth it?

And before anybody asks, no it wasn't the actions of a desperately hungry but skint young woman. She just had meanness in her bones, I saw more and more examples of it the longer I knew her.

I had a similar situation when I was leaving a job, but it was the most well off person at the table (and notorious stinge). The place was cheap as chips, and he insisted on only having a starter, which was fine.

The main courses were mostly shared among the table, including yer man who absolutely stuffed his face. Bill came down later on for roughly 20 people and it was agreed to split it, leaving me out as I was the guest of honour. This was despite the fact that some people had a beer, some had dessert etc, no one really minded that much as it came to a round figure per person.

This is when he started kicking up a fuss about not ordering any of the mains, so why should he be included in the bill. Given that it was a crowd of work people, a lot of which didn't know each other very well, it got really awkward for a while as everyone just wanted to fcuk off to the pub. I eventually just covered the difference (about 7 quid + tip).

When we got to the pub, the guy tried to join a round, but was politely told to get his own drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I went to a Wetherspoons for something to eat with two of my friends recently, me and one of my mates ordered a steak and chips (each) and some onion rings to share. Friend 2 said he wasn't hungry, but ate most of the onion rings, asked us to save him some steak, and helped himself to our chips too.

He would have had to prize the steak from my cold, dead hands...

I went to a Wetherspoons for something to eat with two of my friends recently, me and one of my mates ordered a steak and chips (each) and some onion rings to share. Friend 2 said he wasn't hungry, but ate most of the onion rings, asked us to save him some steak, and helped himself to our chips too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Ha ha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Have just heard from a friend who saw a guy in M&S yesterday hanging around the discount shelves when the staff member was discounting stuff that was going to expire.
    This was his plan:
    He grabbed as much discounted stuff as he could fit in his basket when it was initially discounted.
    He then walked around the shop for a while until the next discounts were applied then took back all the stuff to the staff member so that they could mark the stuff down further. For the sake of 10 or 20p like. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Our staff Christmas party is on this Friday night coming. We normally finish at 16:30 on a Friday afternoon. Staff who are going to the party are allowed finish at 15:30 this Friday to allow time to get home, clean up and head back out. The catch... the MD has circulated an e-mail saying that anyone availing of leaving the hour early on Friday must work an additional 15 minutes per day from Mon-Thu of this week to make up the hour.

I know workers are contracted to their hours... but come on.. the Scrooge-ness of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I once bought a relative headed stationery as she wrote lots of letters.

8 months later on my birthday - guess what my present was ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Save you some steak?? What? I'd offer a chip and maybe even an onion ring but not a chance would they be getting any steak! Steaks are not exactly cheap when you're eating out so I'd be eating every bite of it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭kg703

I was recently 30. I threw a party in my house, BYOB but I had plenty of drink, bought a couple of crates, had wine, spirits, provided food etc. One person turned up and brought 4 cans of Tuborg with them plus 4 cans to give to me as a birthday present. They drank their cans, someone elses prosecco, half the beer in the fridge, my wine and was opening and swigging from bottles of wine and gin at 6am and best of all - at the end of the night told me they asked could they take the four cans of Tuborg they had bought me for my birthday home with them for later. I said yes.

The time before I saw the person was the first time in a couple of years. We were at a bar and they said I'm buying everyone a round of shots, ordered them, we took them and then told us they had no money.

This is a consistent thing but I thought taking the four cans back was a pretty funny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Lesson learned. Don't invite him to anything ever again.
    I know a family who when doing the shopping goes to at least 3 different supermarkets. Scans the lidl and Aldi brochure every week for the few bargains. Most of the afternoon is gone from travelling to each of the supermarkets to buy things they don't need.
    My mother told me, "it's not a bargain if you don't need it"
    But these people will buy ceiling paint in Woodies when it's the end of the line and are selling it for 25% of original price. The paint is never used. I've seen their shed. Full of "bargains" they'll never need or use. Then they buy tomatoes and spuds in Aldi, mince and apples in Lidl, go to Dunnes to buy fruit and meat, and go to supervalu on the way home for dog food and bin bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭kg703

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Lesson learned indeed. Falls within a mutual group of friends so will see them again no doubt but won't be allowed in my house again. The amount drank also caused other problems, but that for another thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I know a family who when doing the shopping goes to at least 3 different supermarkets. Scans the lidl and Aldi brochure every week for the few bargains. Most of the afternoon is gone from travelling to each of the supermarkets to buy things they don't need.
    My mother told me, "it's not a bargain if you don't need it"
    But these people will buy ceiling paint in Woodies when it's the end of the line and are selling it for 25% of original price. The paint is never used. I've seen their shed. Full of "bargains" they'll never need or use. Then they buy tomatoes and spuds in Aldi, mince and apples in Lidl, go to Dunnes to buy fruit and meat, and go to supervalu on the way home for dog food and bin bags.

....and likely spend €20 more on petrol/diesel than they need to negating any saving made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

....and likely spend €20 more on petrol/diesel than they need to negating any saving made.

Exactly. I remember one time the man in the family told be about the time the fuel was going cheap in the next town. He drove the 20+ miles to this town, filled up and drove home. He was delighted telling people this story. The petrol was about 3c a litre cheaper. I said to him "yeah but you had to do a 40 mile round trip to get it". It didn't click with him. Same fella hand delivers his Christmas cards when possible, sometimes could be a 10 mile journey. Oh and the Christmas cards are used, tipex over what was originally on them. This fella thinks we're all fools because we don't use his great money saving ideas (which are actually costing him more in the long run)
    Funny though.
    One time we were out, 3 couples, I got first round in, 3 pints, a wine, a vodka and coke, and a gin and tonic. Friend got next round, same again, when it came to yer man, we had to wait it out, he eventually got up at went to the bar, came back with 3 pints, a wine, a vodka and coke, and a glass of water for his wife. Around it came to my round again, and she says, "oh I'll have a gin and tonic this time". Friend got next round in, and that was it, they were leaving. So there was 5 rounds bought, and he bought 1, and it wasnt even a full one. Lesson learned. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

And before anybody asks, no it wasn't the actions of a desperately hungry but skint young woman. She just had meanness in her bones, I saw more and more examples of it the longer I knew her.

Stop stinging on the stinge, out with it!!

frag420 wrote: »
    Stop stinging on the stinge, out with it!!

I've worked with people who get gifts and take them home whilst expecting everyone else to open theirs and share!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

A friend of mine is a notorious stinge who wouldn't drink if he was buying it himself, or would often just order starters and the like. I nearly lamped him once on holiday when we were out for dinner. I ordered a half bottle of wine just for myself as he 'doesn't drink', and he helped himself to a glass of it. Which is half the bottle. I was raging the way other people are when someone helps themselves to their chips or steak :mad:

Anyway he bought his first gaff last year in once of the most exclusive parts of the city so all his stingeing must have paid off!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

I know a guy who took his kids to see Santa's grave.

missmatty wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a notorious stinge who wouldn't drink if he was buying it himself, or would often just order starters and the like. I nearly lamped him once on holiday when we were out for dinner. I ordered a half bottle of wine just for myself as he 'doesn't drink', and he helped himself to a glass of it. Which is half the bottle. I was raging the way other people are when someone helps themselves to their chips or steak :mad:

Anyway he bought his first gaff last year in once of the most exclusive parts of the city so all his stingeing must have paid off!

He'd have had to pay the 100 euro fee to A&E to have the bottle removed if he did that to me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I know the chap that killed him...
    pawdee wrote: »
    I know a guy who took his kids to see Santa's grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

When a stingy guy I know had a heart attack in his late 40s I remarked that "he wasn't overweight, he didn't smoke and....." before I could finish someone butted in and said "and he only drank what was bought for him". And it was true. Same fella still has his communion money I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

pawdee wrote: »
    When a stingy guy I know had a heart attack in his late 40s I remarked that "he wasn't overweight, he didn't smoke and....." before I could finish someone butted in and said "and he only drank what was bought for him". And it was true. Same fella still has his communion money I'd say.

How did he get the heart attack? Did someone say "It's your round"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I met an old school mate a couple of years ago on the street, had not seen him in years, we got chatting, we decided we would go for a drink, got to the pub, and both of us at the counter, I said what are you having? a pint he said, ok, so i bought a pint for him and a coke for me, as I was driving. he finished his pint, and was looking at me as if to say I will have another one, obviously I didn't go near the bar, we chatted for another couple of hours, in which time he drank another 4 pints, never offered to buy me back a drink. he rang me a few times after this day, looking to meet up for pints etc i always had an excuse ready. no chance im hanging around with a scrooge like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A new Spidey suit?

Birneybau wrote: »

A new Spidey suit?

Hahaha I wish !!! The black one is cool !!

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I met an old school mate a couple of years ago on the street, had not seen him in years, we got chatting, we decided we would go for a drink, got to the pub, and both of us at the counter, I said what are you having? a pint he said, ok, so i bought a pint for him and a coke for me, as I was driving. he finished his pint, and was looking at me as if to say I will have another one, obviously I didn't go near the bar, we chatted for another couple of hours, in which time he drank another 4 pints, never offered to buy me back a drink. he rang me a few times after this day, looking to meet up for pints etc i always had an excuse ready. no chance im hanging around with a scrooge like him.

Incredible... I'm at a stage in life now where, not that I would have caused a scene - I wouldn't - but, before I left, I would have had to say "Do you really think it's appropriate to sit in someone's company like this and not reciprocate after they've bought you a beer?" People like that should be told...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

missmatty wrote: »

yes but no one will visit the tight fisted git at his plush address

yes but no one will visit the tight fisted git at his plush address

Reminds me of a Scottish chap who once worked with a mate of mine in said mate's father's business. He was a bit of craic etc but unfortunately endorsed some of the sterotypes that abound about his countrymen - ie, he was tighter's than a duck's a*se...

At a pal of mine's 21st birthday, I was there with my GF and we had just found out she was pregnant. I didn't know this chap too well but he came over to have a chat and we did - he could be a laugh, not the worst company in general. He asked my GF why she wasn't drinking and we explained that she was pregnant etc.

He insisted on buying us a drink, which was a tiny bit awkward as I didn't know him so well but he did and we said thanks very much and off he went... only to return about 20 minutes later to, somewhat aggressively, tell me it was "my round"... for the sake of an easy life, got him a pint and he seemed to calm down from his agitated state.

Another occasion, another birthday night out, he insisted we all go back to his for a late drink. He lived in a tiny place so it wasn't a thrilling prospect, but a gang of us did. He then produced a tray of cheap beer (not that we were at all the fussy types) and there was enough for a can or two for everyone... only for him to, as you can probably guess, then individually badger every single person - again, somewhat aggressively - into giving him €2 for the beers... made himself a profit no doubt the miserable b*stard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Incredible... I'm at a stage in life now where, not that I would have caused a scene - I wouldn't - but, before I left, I would have had to say "Do you really think it's appropriate to sit in someone's company like this and not reciprocate after they've bought you a beer?" People like that should be told...

I can imagine Larry David doing that ha. I just left it, knowing that I would never be in his company again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Reminds me of a Scottish chap who once worked with a mate of mine in said mate's father's business. He was a bit of craic etc but unfortunately endorsed some of the sterotypes that abound about his countrymen - ie, he was tighter's than a duck's a*se...

At a pal of mine's 21st birthday, I was there with my GF and we had just found out she was pregnant. I didn't know this chap too well but he came over to have a chat and we did - he could be a laugh, not the worst company in general. He asked my GF why she wasn't drinking and we explained that she was pregnant etc.

He insisted on buying us a drink, which was a tiny bit awkward as I didn't know him so well but he did and we said thanks very much and off he went... only to return about 20 minutes later to, somewhat aggressively, tell me it was "my round"... for the sake of an easy life, got him and a pint and he seemed to calm down from his agitated state.

Another occasion, another birthday night out, he insisted we all go back to his for a late drink. He lived in a tiny place so it wasn't a thrilling prospect, but a gang of us did. He then produced a tray of cheap beer (not that we were at all the fussy types) and there was enough for a can or two for everyone... only for him to, as you can probably guess, then individually badger every single person - again, somewhat aggressively - into giving him €2 for the beers... made himself a profit no doubt the miserable b*stard!

What was his name? Rob C Nesbitt?

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    What was his name? Rob C Nesbitt?

His nickname was Swampy! :D

Advertisement