Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

This one is about myself I'm not too embarrassed to say.....

Ok. I had this ongoing problem with a public carpark in that when I'd put in my 3 euros to exit, the barrier had a habit of not rising. So, I'd have to reverse (often with a queue behind me...in the rain), park up again, go into a newsagents, buy a paper to break a fiver or tenner, go back and try again. In-fckn-furiating.

Anyhow, one day it happened so I pressed the intercom button to speak to the girl in the town council whose job it was to sort this out (presumably by pressing a button). It was exactly 1pm and she said she was going on lunch, couldn't help me until 2pm and the line went dead. I almost had a Michael Douglas in Falling Down kind of moment but I thought of my 3 beautiful babies at home, backed up and tried again.

Having successfully exited I was stopped at the lights adjacent to the car park. As I waited for green (and did my breathing exercises) I noticed the spacing of the the bollards on the tour bus entrance / exit. Then I surveyed the vast expanse of my VW Lupo bonnet. I didn't need a measuring tape to know that I'd never pay for parking there again. Funnily enough, the security man in the hut that I saluted on my way in (twice) every day never twigged that he never saw me coming out. I saved 30 euros a week for about 2 years like that.

ps. I didn't drive a Lupo cos I was tight.....I had a lot of outgoings.....plus they're a cute little car......and chape to tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

pawdee wrote: »

Ok. I had this ongoing problem with a public carpark in that when I'd put in my 3 euros to exit, the barrier had a habit of not rising. So, I'd have to reverse (often with a queue behind me...in the rain), park up again, go into a newsagents, buy a paper to break a fiver or tenner, go back and try again. In-fckn-furiating.

Anyhow, one day it happened so I pressed the intercom button to speak to the girl in the town council whose job it was to sort this out (presumably by pressing a button). It was exactly 1pm and she said she was going on lunch, couldn't help me until 2pm and the line went dead. I almost had a Michael Douglas in Falling Down kind of moment but I thought of my 3 beautiful babies at home, backed up and tried again.

Having successfully exited I was stopped at the lights adjacent to the car park. As I waited for green (and did my breathing exercises) I noticed the spacing of the the bollards on the tour bus entrance / exit. Then I surveyed the vast expanse of my VW Lupo bonnet. I didn't need a measuring tape to know that I'd never pay for parking there again. Funnily enough, the security man in the hut that I saluted on my way in (twice) every day never twigged that he never saw me coming out. I saved 30 euros a week for about 2 years like that.

ps. I didn't drive a Lupo cos I was tight.....I had a lot of outgoings.....plus they're a cute little car......and chape to tax!

I'm not sure I've ever been prouder of someone I don't know ever !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

pawdee wrote: »

You're not stingy with words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

chewed wrote: »
    What was his name? Rob C Nesbitt?

Rab C would have bought his share.
    The Rab Cs of the world are not backwards in coming forwards, but the shiny-suited shyts are the ones to watch (c.RCN)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I have a story where I was once labelled a stinge but I don’t think I was. I’ll let the good people of boards decide! I was in Edinburgh a few years back with my boyfriend at the time. I had some friends over there and they knew I was over, so when one of them (we will call him C) text me to see were we out, I told him the pub we were in.

My ex and I had half a drink in front of us at the time and were talking about getting a shot of aftershock (we had been pissed on aftershock when we got together) when C arrived. I hadn’t seen him in a bit so it was all hugs and he straight away insisted on buying us both a drink even though we weren’t finished ours. I thanked him, and when we finished our first drinks, still not onto the drinks he bought, I offered to get some shots in. He launched into a full. out. lecture. Apparently I was trying to get out of buying him a proper drink and it was such a stingey thing to do. I explained that I wasn’t ducking out of anything but we were planning to get shots anyway and I would gladly buy him something else if that’s what he wanted. He ordered a glass of expensive whiskey, presumably to teach me a lesson and left shortly afterwards.

I met up with some other friends along with C the following night, where he started telling people I was a round dodger etc. It was crap!

I hate rounds at the best of times, they are the worst but C unfairly labelling me as a stinge kind of killed our friendship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I have a story where I was once labelled a stinge but I don’t think I was. I’ll let the good people of boards decide! I was in Edinburgh a few years back with my boyfriend at the time. I had some friends over there and they knew I was over, so when one of them (we will call him C) text me to see were we out, I told him the pub we were in.

My ex and I had half a drink in front of us at the time and were talking about getting a shot of aftershock (we had been pissed on aftershock when we got together) when C arrived. I hadn’t seen him in a bit so it was all hugs and he straight away insisted on buying us both a drink even though we weren’t finished ours. I thanked him, and when we finished our first drinks, still not onto the drinks he bought, I offered to get some shots in. He launched into a full. out. lecture. Apparently I was trying to get out of buying him a proper drink and it was such a stingey thing to do. I explained that I wasn’t ducking out of anything but we were planning to get shots anyway and I would gladly buy him something else if that’s what he wanted. He ordered a glass of expensive whiskey, presumably to teach me a lesson and left shortly afterwards.

I met up with some other friends along with C the following night, where he started telling people I was a round dodger etc. It was crap!

I hate rounds at the best of times, they are the worst but C unfairly labelling me as a stinge kind of killed our friendship.

There's bad behaviour there .... just not from you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't get it, aren't shots just as expensive as a pint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My ex was drinking pints but C and I were both drinking spirits and mixer. The shots were probably a pound cheaper because no mixer... I was completely floored by his reaction tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod please don't drag threads from other forums in here. It's frowned upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Here it’s quite close but a Uk short is smaller than an Irish shot( 37.5ml versus 25ml )
    So in Uk it is cheaper than beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,489 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Here it’s quite close but a Uk short is smaller than an Irish shot( 37.5ml versus 25ml )
    So in Uk it is cheaper than beer

yeah but you end up ordering doubles because the measure is so miserable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I have a story where I was once labelled a stinge but I don’t think I was......

I don't see how you are a stinge. Rather C is an assh0le.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Did you defend yourself to the second-night group of friends? I’d be FURIOUS at someone badmouthing me like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

In a new job where we have to pay 25 cent for a coffee and 50 cent for a bottle of mineral water. never had that in any job before.

so disgraceful and stingy from the bosses imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

tara73 wrote: »
    In a new job where we have to pay 25 cent for a coffee and 50 cent for a bottle of mineral water. never had that in any job before.

That is shocking stingy.. I'd be so tempted to invest in a flask if I were you. Fcuk paying for coffee at work..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

job seeker wrote: »
    That is shocking stingy.. I'd be so tempted to invest in a flask if I were you. Fcuk paying for coffee at work..

yeah, isn't it? I actually feel embarrased for them and if you get that feeling it's a pretty bad sign...I don't buy any water, drink the tap water but need coffee at least once a day so have to entertain that crap unfortunately..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Assuming the water is already bottled and your not paying 50 cent to fill your own bottle out of the small soft water spout then I don't really see how that's stinge. Bottles of water are over €1 in my workplace (unsure of the exact price, never buy them there) and I don't think there are any workplaces that give free pre-bottled mineral water to staff on a continuous basis save for workplaces were meals is part of the staffs remuneration package/ or family business maybe?

25 cent for a coffee is on the other hand pretty stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

Public service job here. We have to pay for milk/tea/coffee. They also charge us €40 per year for the privilege of parking on their property!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

TheBody wrote: »
    Public service job here. We have to pay for milk/tea/coffee. They also charge us €40 per year for the privilege of parking on their property!

Public servant here too. I don't even drink tea or coffee but still I'm the "stinge" if i don't put money in the kitty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

TheBody wrote: »

Parking for 40 Euro a year ! That is a bargain. Have you checked the actual cost of parking in nearby carparks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The OH has an uncle who often drops in unannounced just before dinner time and hangs around until he's offered some. Its not just us, he does it on other relatives too. Tight git has probably never cooked a dinner in his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cbreeze

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Using one teabag to make two cups of tea is fine.

Leaving your teabag to dry out so you can reuse it later is :eek:

I know someone who pulls the teabags out of the rubbish to make another cup ...

cbreeze wrote: »

That's just boggin'.
    Stinge taken to a new level of mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

cbreeze wrote: »

If you're going to reuse the teabags, why would you put them in the rubbish at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

260: total number of days that can be worked annually based on a 5 day work week
    25: average number of holidays per year in Ireland
    9: official number of bank holidays in Ireland
    226: total number of days parked in work
    €40: Total amount paid per year for parking
    €0.18 paid for parking per day
    €0.02 paid per hour for parking
    Priceless: The Body’s level of stinginess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I've heard of someone forging those presents of money donations on your behalf to third world countries.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I've heard of someone forging those presents of money donations on your behalf to third world countries.

The giver feels good, the recipient feels good, the would-be foreign recipient never knows about it but would feel goosed if they did.
    Pretty low thing to do, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

we have a kitty at work for the year
    to pay for tea, coffee, milk

we have to pay for everything in work. even the xmas party.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

ToddyDoody wrote: »

The Human Fund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

An aftershock in Edinburgh would have cost more than a pint of Tennants or Fosters I'd say. No blame on you!

It happens quite a lot in Edinburgh with tight folk, they'll ask for a ridiculously priced dram of whiskey. I used to always call them out but now I just call a normal whiskey, they've never come back saying it wasn't what they asked for. Folk that drink those types of whiskeys wouldn't be ones to get into rounds anyway as its not usually fair on others.

Advertisement