Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

tara73 wrote: »
    In a new job where we have to pay 25 cent for a coffee and 50 cent for a bottle of mineral water. never had that in any job before.

so disgraceful and stingy from the bosses imo.

In about half my jobs across public and private sector, tea and coffee wasn’t provided for free. I don’t expect it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

_Dara_ wrote: »
    In about half my jobs across public and private sector, tea and coffee wasn’t provided for free. I don’t expect it at all.

Many offices give unlimited coffee as it has the workers wired and it actually gets them to do more work as they will be awake.

I've seen many companies that do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

razorblunt wrote: »
    An aftershock in Edinburgh would have cost more than a pint of Tennants or Fosters I'd say. No blame on you!

It happens quite a lot in Edinburgh with tight folk, they'll ask for a ridiculously priced dram of whiskey. I used to always call them out but now I just call a normal whiskey, they've never come back saying it wasn't what they asked for. Folk that drink those types of whiskeys wouldn't be ones to get into rounds anyway as its not usually fair on others.

I don't understand why people ask for a high cost whiskey or brandy in a round. A ridiculous level of selfishness and pure thickness is my guess. Very bad form.

Once we were out with a couple we didn't really know, friends of family and got roped into meeting up with them as they moved near to where we lived.
    Anyway, after having a bit of a walk about, we took them to one of our drinking spots in the afternoon thinking non of our crowd would be about at that time, but sure enough one decent lad came in and straight over to us.

After a quick chat he was off to the bar and politely offered/asked if any of us wanted a drink. We said no as we were all leaving soon, but of course the pair of a'holes we were with asked for brandies knowing full well they wouldn't have to buy him back as we were leaving. We were mortified.

He looked a bit shocked, but shook it off being the good lad he is and got them their Hennessys. That stopped the flow of talk soon after, felt really awkward.
    After we left, I made a pretense of something or other and slipped back to tell our friend we'd be in later that night and sort it out, which we did.
    Made our excuses and got rid of the pair soon after.. and the next week I gave off stink to the family member who roped us in to look after a pair of f*** ups like that.

At least that night in the pub we had a good laugh letting rip and, not to mention, a few stinge stories were doing the rounds that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Many offices give unlimited coffee as it has the workers wired and it actually gets them to do more work as they will be awake.

I've seen many companies that do this.

I'd say not being asleep improves productivity all right. What is your job? Travelling coffee inspector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

A friend of mine told me he was in a pub just at closing time and a stinge kept offering him a drink knowing it was past ordering time and he would not have to buy it. But the stinge got a shock when my friend said "you can give me the money and i will buy it myself next time i am in." Stinge wasn't so mad to push the drink then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Not a stinge per se but more like the stingy people's assumption that everyone is like them

An old boss took a few of us to the hotel bar near work one time just cos he thought we'd had a rough week. Told us to order whatever we wanted. I'd asked for a vodka. He'd bought a double Grey Goose. His bill must have been 500 quid easy. Lovely thing to do.

I said as much and two people went "sure it's on the company credit card"; "he'll claim it on expenses. They all do that."

Wtf is wrong with people? Why not just accept some people are generous ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd say not being asleep improves productivity all right. What is your job? Travelling coffee inspector?

Yes and yes;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thestinge

Was the start of first year in college. After a party in our flat we are just sorting the place out the following day and having dinner when up comes one of the lads.
    Worth noting this chap had a minor physical disability, I only say this because I always give people that have had it tougher than the rest of us more of a chance than your average Joe.

We were just sitting around talking bolx when yer man gets up and says he's heading over to a gaf party nearby. As he's on the way out he opens up the fridge and helps himself to a few bottles of beer from our Fridge saying "I'll just grab a few of these to bring with me".

We were all so surprised noone said anything, he didn't ask, just helped himself to as many as he could carry which was only 2 or 3.

Anyway we just stopped returning his calls or texts after that

two guys I know from work were playing golf with two other guys who were from another company (Irish Bank!) where they all worked together on a project.

One of the guys from the bank asked them for the green fees - pretty high I think as a well-known club.

Turns out the bank guys were using an "open fairways" voucher so they effectively got in for free (aside from having the voucher book) as it was pay 2 - other 2 go free.

obviously the decent thing to do would have been to split the actual cost to be paid amongst all 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My dad's 'work boots' are a pair of boots that used to be my brothers 'school' boots. They look like steel toe cap boots but the aren't. My brother did the leaving cert in 1999 - the year my maternal grandfather died. My dad's work coat is a coat my grandmother gave my dad after my granddad died. Knowing my dad, nostalgia is not the reason he hangs onto this well worn clothing.

• Advertisement

Another college story:

A girl in the class I was friendly with was from Donaghmede. One day after college it was teaming rain and one of the lads suggested I drop her home, no idea why (presumably boredom, not for reasons you might think) but I did a few of us went for the spin and she was very thankful etc.

Another time we were pre drinking in my apt before a night out and at the end of the night she asked could she stay at mine as her friend who she was supposed to stay with had gone missing. I was on campus where the security guards were extremenly strict about non residents staying over and no amount of pleading would persuade them to let her in so not wanting to leave her stranded I walked her over to another mates house over in Shanowen, who were thankfully still up, and had no problems putting her up for the night.

So I think I've established that I was a decent friend, or I like to think so anyway.

A few weeks later after I missed a few Friday morning lectures in a row, I asked herself if I could I borrow her notes. She says sure no problem I'll bring them in next week.

Next week arrived and I asked her did she have the notes with her and I got this reply:
    "Well I've been thinking about it and I don't think it's fair that I should give you my notes when you didn't bother going to the lectures"

I didn't know what to say. Ended up getting the notes off someone else.She even started work in the same company as me a few years later which was awkward but luckily enough I moved on soon enough, but not before we were on the same tag rugby team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

thestinge wrote: »
    Another college story:

A girl in the class I was friendly with was from Donaghmede. One day after college it was teaming rain and one of the lads suggested I drop her home, no idea why (presumably boredom, not for reasons you might think) but I did a few of us went for the spin and she was very thankful etc.

Another time we were pre drinking in my apt before a night out and at the end of the night she asked could she stay at mine as her friend who she was supposed to stay with had gone missing. I was on campus where the security guards were extremenly strict about non residents staying over and no amount of pleading would persuade them to let her in so not wanting to leave her stranded I walked her over to another mates house over in Shanowen, who were thankfully still up, and had no problems putting her up for the night.

So I think I've established that I was a decent friend, or I like to think so anyway.

A few weeks later after I missed a few Friday morning lectures in a row, I asked herself if I could I borrow her notes. She says sure no problem I'll bring them in next week.

Next week arrived and I asked her did she have the notes with her and I got this reply:
    "Well I've been thinking about it and I don't think it's fair that I should give you my notes when you didn't bother going to the lectures"

I didn't know what to say. Ended up getting the notes off someone else.She even started work in the same company as me a few years later which was awkward but luckily enough I moved on soon enough, but not before we were on the same tag rugby team!

She was obviously miffed you never slipped her a length !

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    She was obviously miffed you never slipped her a length !
    No definitely not, we were just good friends.. or so i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭pgj2015

cantdecide wrote: »
    My dad's 'work boots' are a pair of boots that used to be my brothers 'school' boots. They look like steel toe cap boots but the aren't. My brother did the leaving cert in 1999 - the year my maternal grandfather died. My dad's work coat is a coat my grandmother gave my dad after my granddad died. Knowing my dad, nostalgia is not the reason he hangs onto this well worn clothing.

what sort of work does your dad do while wearing the boots? I would go through about 4 pairs of steel toe cap boots a year so I find it hard to believe he has a pair of boots from 1999 that he works in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what sort of work does your dad do while wearing the boots? I would go through about 4 pairs of steel toe cap boots a year so I find it hard to believe he has a pair of boots from 1999 that he works in.

Chief coffee drinker whilst telling everybody else what to do I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would go through about 4 pairs of steel toe cap boots a year so I find it hard to believe he has a pair of boots from 1999 that he works in.

I'd find it just as hard to believe that you go through about 4 pairs of them a yeartongue.png. What are you doing with em?pacman.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I buy dewalt challangers and get about 8-9 months from them. not great at 150 a pair. cheap boots I get about 3months from but I get a lot of pains and aces from hem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Neighbours of ours a so mean they won't eat. The son and his mother go around to meetings to eat sandwiches and she brings them home in here bag. The son is now in hospital over malnutrition and won't come out now because he has a warm bed,food and has a shower once a week rather than once a year.

a distant relative has a neighbour that is so mean. she gave my relative a small set of chocolates for her 40th birthday. the box was covered in Christmas stuff and out of date 3 months . relatives birthday is in may.
    worst part was you could clearly see where the little folded label was torn off so it was a regift

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    I don't understand why people ask for a high cost whiskey or brandy in a round. A ridiculous level of selfishness and pure thickness is my guess. Very bad form.

Once we were out with a couple we didn't really know, friends of family and got roped into meeting up with them as they moved near to where we lived.
    Anyway, after having a bit of a walk about, we took them to one of our drinking spots in the afternoon thinking non of our crowd would be about at that time, but sure enough one decent lad came in and straight over to us.

After a quick chat he was off to the bar and politely offered/asked if any of us wanted a drink. We said no as we were all leaving soon, but of course the pair of a'holes we were with asked for brandies knowing full well they wouldn't have to buy him back as we were leaving. We were mortified.

He looked a bit shocked, but shook it off being the good lad he is and got them their Hennessys. That stopped the flow of talk soon after, felt really awkward.
    After we left, I made a pretense of something or other and slipped back to tell our friend we'd be in later that night and sort it out, which we did.
    Made our excuses and got rid of the pair soon after.. and the next week I gave off stink to the family member who roped us in to look after a pair of f*** ups like that.

At least that night in the pub we had a good laugh letting rip and, not to mention, a few stinge stories were doing the rounds that night.

Hennessy is the same price as a pint, about €4.50 - €5.50 at the priciest, unless you're getting VSOP or something, which is wildly inconsiderate in a round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

davidk1394 wrote:
    Neighbours of ours a so mean they won't eat. The son and his mother go around to meetings to eat sandwiches and she brings them home in here bag. The son is now in hospital over malnutrition and won't come out now because he has a warm bed,food and has a shower once a week rather than once a year.

There's stingy and then there's poverty.
    I doubt the mother likes living on sandwiches rather than providing meals for her child.

You don't know what's happening behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I'd find it just as hard to believe that you go through about 4 pairs of them a yeartongue.png. What are you doing with em?pacman.gif

i used to go through at least 4 pairs a year, working on building sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭davidk1394

There's stingy and then there's poverty.
    I doubt the mother likes living on sandwiches rather than providing meals for her child.

You don't know what's happening behind closed doors.

The mother is 80 his 40. Their just a mean farming family who wouldn't spend time. Theirs heaps of stories I could tell about that family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

nee wrote: »
    Hennessy is the same price as a pint, about €4.50 - €5.50 at the priciest, unless you're getting VSOP or something, which is wildly inconsiderate in a round.

Only a stinge bag would know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I did a job for a woman a few weeks ago. Part of it was to tile a small kitchenette floor. After measuring the floor I told her she'd need to get 8 square metres of tiles. She said she measured it and it only came to 7m . I said it was actually 7.2 but she'd still need 8 to allow for waste and mistakes. I didnt tell her about the potential mistakes.
    Anyway the tiles came and there were only 7.5m . 5 x 1.5m boxes. I did my best but I was 4 tiles short to finish the job the evening before she was moving back to Spain till xmas. So she paid me in full for the job and gave me 20 quid to get another box and keep them till she got back.
    Today I went in to get the box and threw a 20 on the counter only to find out the box cost 35. I'll get it back off her but it'll take me half a day to do what would have taken me a half an hour to do if I'd had enough tiles at the time.

Sorry about the big long rant but I'm still annoyed over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

sligojoek wrote: »
    I did a job for a woman a few weeks ago. Part of it was to tile a small kitchenette floor. After measuring the floor I told her she'd need to get 8 square metres of tiles. She said she measured it and it only came to 7m . I said it was actually 7.2 but she'd still need 8 to allow for waste and mistakes. I didnt tell her about the potential mistakes.
    Anyway the tiles came and there were only 7.5m . 5 x 1.5m boxes. I did my best but I was 4 tiles short to finish the job the evening before she was moving back to Spain till xmas. So she paid me in full for the job and gave me 20 quid to get another box and keep them till she got back.
    Today I went in to get the box and threw a 20 on the counter only to find out the box cost 35. I'll get it back off her but it'll take me half a day to do what would have taken me a half an hour to do if I'd had enough tiles at the time.

If I was paid in full I know what I'd be doing. Give her back the 20 and tell they were all sold out.

If I was paid in full I know what I'd be doing. Give her back the 20 and tell they were all sold out.

yes and the next thing she would do is tell all her fellow stinges that joe miss measured her floor and that her dream kitchen is now a disaster and its all joes fault

sligojoek wrote: »

I turned down a big job last week due to the homeowner having every tile worked out and exact areas worked out. he said he needed 91 m2 (very big floor) and bought enough tiles to do 92m2. they were imported from somewhere out of the country so no going back for another box. its not worth working for stinges like that. you really need 10-15% wastage on stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Her daughter is a good friend of mine and often puts work my way. It'll be finished to perfection. I made money on the job overall so it's not the end of hte world but what annoys me is that she knew exactly how much the tiles were but just threw me twenty quid thinking I'd say nothing and absorb it. No way José.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

yes and the next thing she would do is tell all her fellow stinges that joe miss measured her floor and that her dream kitchen is now a disaster and its all joes fault

No doubt but she would. You'd just be hoping most of her acquaintances would know the form and see the wood for the trees.
    She left herself short not Joe, and if I were in his position I'd consider doing one job for her and her ilk one too many.
    Job done, paid, done. Only caught for time and diesel dropping back the 20.

Advertisement