Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sligojoek wrote: »
    Her daughter is a good friend of mine and often puts work my way. It'll be finished to perfection. I made money on the job overall so it's not the end of hte world but what annoys me is that she knew exactly how much the tiles were but just threw me twenty quid thinking I'd say nothing and absorb it. No way José.

that's more annoying that anything. should have been a 50 for your time and hassle

No doubt but she would. You'd just be hoping most of her acquaintances would know the form and see the wood for the trees.
    She left herself short not Joe, and if I were in his position I'd consider doing one job for her and her ilk one too many.
    Job done, paid, done. Only caught for time and diesel dropping back the 20.

iv seen in a few times doing timber floors. they see a few offcuts add them together in their head and all they see is that they would have finished the floor.
    they seem to think that you can have zero waste. most are too mean to buy the extra bit and bring it back if they can.

also I have had one woman go into the floor shop to get a sample, then send in her sister , then send in her father to get more just so they could get the last 3-4 boards to finish the floor. crazy carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

yes and the next thing she would do is tell all her fellow stinges that joe miss measured her floor and that her dream kitchen is now a disaster and its all joes fault

She tried to put the blame on the shop because they didn't read her diagram properly. She threatened them with Marian Finnucane and Gerry Ryan. She lives in Spain all the time so I informed her that Gerry Ryan was dead. She was unfazed by that bad news.

Contrast that with the job I finished at 10.30 last friday night. Paid in full plus 24 cans of Guinness and a bottle of red wine.

• Advertisement

also I have had one woman go into the floor shop to get a sample, then send in her sister , then send in her father to get more just so they could get the last 3-4 boards to finish the floor. crazy carry on.
    A lot of shops charge a fiver a sample now. refundable if you make the purchase. Tiles are gone so big and expensive that some tiles cost more than a fiver each anyway. The last ones I was using were 6 kg in weight each before there was any back buttering or blobs of adhesive on the back of them.

Sorry to be drifting away from stinginess. We'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i used to go through at least 4 pairs a year, working on building sites.

Yeah, the toes get the shyt knocked out of them and the soles get cut to bits.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I did a job for a woman a few weeks ago. Part of it was to tile a small kitchenette floor. After measuring the floor I told her she'd need to get 8 square metres of tiles. She said she measured it and it only came to 7m . I said it was actually 7.2 but she'd still need 8 to allow for waste and mistakes. I didnt tell her about the potential mistakes.
    Anyway the tiles came and there were only 7.5m . 5 x 1.5m boxes. I did my best but I was 4 tiles short to finish the job the evening before she was moving back to Spain till xmas. So she paid me in full for the job and gave me 20 quid to get another box and keep them till she got back.
    Today I went in to get the box and threw a 20 on the counter only to find out the box cost 35. I'll get it back off her but it'll take me half a day to do what would have taken me a half an hour to do if I'd had enough tiles at the time.

Sorry about the big long rant but I'm still annoyed over it.

Stinges can't see the world beyond the end of their nose. Most sensible people would just accept that tiles come in boxes and it's best to get them all at once in case the next box you need to finish the job is from a different batch and slightly off-colour. Anyway, having a half-box of tiles spare is a bonus if one or two crack and need replaced at some point, and the chance of getting an exact match diminishes with time.
    They can't see that though, because they think they've saved a few quid.

Contrast that with the job I finished at 10.30 last friday night. Paid in full plus 24 cans of Guinness and a bottle of red wine.

Best tip I had, from a customer who always paid in full and never quibbled, was a freakin' laptop only a couple of years old. Surplus from his company.
    I always did a good job for him, and so did everyone else who did work on his gaff.
    Stinges never see that. They think everyone's out to rook them.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Stinges can't see the world beyond the end of their nose. Most sensible people would just accept that tiles come in boxes and it's best to get them all at once in case the next box you need to finish the job is from a different batch and slightly off-colour. Anyway, having a half-box of tiles spare is a bonus if one or two crack and need replaced at some point, and the chance of getting an exact match diminishes with time.
    They can't see that though, because they think they've saved a few quid.

It's better to be looking at them than looking for them.Two different pallets can have the same name but two different shades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Invited friends to a BQ last summer and they brought a packet of crackers with them ...

Wouldn't spend fricking Christmas between them - absolute miserable sh!tes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

nee wrote: »
    Hennessy is the same price as a pint, about €4.50 - €5.50 at the priciest, unless you're getting VSOP or something, which is wildly inconsiderate in a round.

It was the flipping afternoon, we weren't in rounds.. I had a Ballygowan and my OH a tea. We only stopped in for a sit down chat after the walk. We weren't staying long.

Our friend was getting himself a coke, meeting someone else to head off somehwere. He only asked out of politness, being a decent-mannered guy, as he was heading to the bar.. but the two f***wits asked for brandy.

Bad form, bad pub etiquette and just self-absorbed ****es.. when we said no thanks you're grand, we need to be leaving, they still went ahead and asked for brandy. Ignoring us and any decent behaviour in the process, but as long as they got a free brandy, eh?

A lot of shops charge a fiver a sample now. refundable if you make the purchase. Tiles are gone so big and expensive that some tiles cost more than a fiver each anyway. The last ones I was using were 6 kg in weight each before there was any back buttering or blobs of adhesive on the back of them.

Sorry to be drifting away from stinginess. We'll leave it at that.
    It is kind of on topic. It's what shops do to combat stinges or giving away all the profit

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

gozunda wrote:
    Invited friends to a BQ last summer and they brought a packet of crackers with them ...

If some one invited me to B&q I wouldnt even bring crackers 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Drove 200 miles,leaving at 5.30am to discuss a management position in a large company.Appointment was at 9.30....on arrival on the way to the office was met by the owner who quipped "I'd offer ya a cup of tea only we've no milk!!" to which I replied "maybe I drink it black!"....his face was priceless, I had eaten a fine full breakfast at a local hotel.....needless to say I turned down the job.....never regretted it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A fella I was in college with was mean out. In the summer time when he was driving he'd give out stink if you turned on the air conditioning as it used an extra litre of petrol out of the full tank. When he would be driving down a hill he'd put the car in neutral.
    Driving on the motorway he wouldn't go over 100km as he'd use too much petrol.
    He'd bring a tea bag to college because he could get the hot water for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A fella I was in college with was mean out. In the summer time when he was driving he'd give out stink if you turned on the air conditioning as it used an extra litre of petrol out of the full tank. When he would be driving down a hill he'd put the car in neutral.
    Driving on the motorway he wouldn't go over 100km as he'd use too much petrol.
    He'd bring a tea bag to college because he could get the hot water for free.

This can't be true, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

davidk1394 wrote: »
    When he would be driving down a hill he'd put the car in neutral.

This uses much more fuel than letting off the throttle and staying in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Kolido wrote: »

Many a person won't turn on the air con. no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭davidk1394

According to your man it was. But I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Depends on a lot of factors, the outside temperature, the inside set temperature, the size of the car, number of occupants, whether on fresh or recirc not to mention the design, age and maintenance state of the system etc. etc. For me in my 17 year old Toyota when the outside temperature is in the high 30's and the aircon set to 24 it will use way, way more than just a litre from a full tank, especially if sitting in traffic. Petrol is cheap here so it's not really a factor, wouldn't be running aircon like that at Irish fuel prices though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Ah ffs lads we're going to have 17 pages of Air Con talk now aren't we...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Ah ffs lads we're going to have 17 pages of Air Con talk now aren't we...

we could do Con Air instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ablelocks wrote: »

Put the bunny down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

He's got the whole world in his hands (and he is that stingy he is not giving it back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

ablelocks wrote: »

Definition of insanity - bunch of idiots on a plane singing a song made famous by a band who died in a plane crash.

Love that film!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

D'ya know who's not stingey? Jonny 23, with room on his arm for more baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

razorblunt wrote: »
    D'ya know who's not stingey? Jonny 23, with room on his arm for more baby.

Can you fly ??? Cos if your d*** jumps out of your pants, you jump out of this plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Years ago when my mate and I started work around the same time, we both got our first mobile phones. Soon after when we'd be arranging to meet for pints or lunch or whatever, I'd always notice that I'd a missed call from him so i'd ring him back to see what the craic was. I couldn't understand this until he called another time and it rang, but cut straight off after a couple of rings before I could answer. Didn't take too much notice until it kept happening and then the penny dropped. The tight f**ker was basically ringing me for a couple of rings and long enough so that I'd see I'd a missed call and instinctively ring him back, thus it would be me paying for the call all the time instead of him. Called him out on it and didn't happen anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Years ago when my mate and I started work around the same time, we both got our first mobile phones. Soon after when we'd be arranging to meet for pints or lunch or whatever, I'd always notice that I'd a missed call from him so i'd ring him back to see what the craic was. I couldn't understand this until he called another time and it rang, but cut straight off after a couple of rings before I could answer. Didn't take too much notice until it kept happening and then the penny dropped. The tight f**ker was basically ringing me for a couple of rings and long enough so that I'd see I'd a missed call and instinctively ring him back, thus it would be me paying for the call all the time instead of him. Called him out on it and didn't happen anymore!

I went out with a Polish girl years ago - 12/13 years back. One morning I got to work and saw a missed call from her so I rang her back to see what was up. She said she wasn't ringing me just giving me a 'missed call' to let me know she was thinking of me. And that it was quite a common thing for her and her friends to do. I thought it was quite sweet.

Maybe your pal just had a crush on you and wanted to let you know he was thinking of you.

Advertisement