Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Years ago when my mate and I started work around the same time, we both got our first mobile phones. Soon after when we'd be arranging to meet for pints or lunch or whatever, I'd always notice that I'd a missed call from him so i'd ring him back to see what the craic was. I couldn't understand this until he called another time and it rang, but cut straight off after a couple of rings before I could answer. Didn't take too much notice until it kept happening and then the penny dropped. The tight f**ker was basically ringing me for a couple of rings and long enough so that I'd see I'd a missed call and instinctively ring him back, thus it would be me paying for the call all the time instead of him. Called him out on it and didn't happen anymore!

That just gave me flashbacks to those stupid free "Call Me" messages you used to be able to send on some networks. They were so obnoxious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

That just gave me flashbacks to those stupid free "Call Me" messages you used to be able to send on some networks. They were so obnoxious.

In college (2011) my friend had a small flip phone that just sent calls and texts.

She would constantly send me "please call me" messages. And when she did top up it'd be €5 at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

My sister sent me a "call me" so I did. She said she had no credit and asked me to ring for a takeaway for her and give them her number. I did it and didn't really think too much of it until she did it again. This time I told her that she really should get some credit because it was expensive to makes calls at the time and I wasn't exactly loaded on minimum wage.

I was talking to my mother and apparently she was pulling the same stunt with her so that just p!ssed me off. The third time I got a "call me" from my sister I texted her to go and get some credit or better yet buy some food and cook for herself or starve. Never got any more :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

In the past few months we have had a new colleague at work. While she is nice for the most part she does have some erratic moments and can sometimes make you feel uneasy being in her presence.

Anyway, Christmas party last week. This was an unofficial event that was organised amongst staff and not by management, so 3 course meal was 30 a head. The new girl arrives and quickly announces that she 'forgot' her purse. Still has the meal and someone with more compassion than me after hearing this asked her did she want a drink. "Oh yes a glass of merlot" was the reply.

I now know to steer well clear away from this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

There are quite a number of people in my town that go to funerals just for the free meal/ food afterwards. Most of them are no way related or connected to the deceased family, just go for a gawk too, to see who else went.
    One time at a neyburs funeral 1 couple were asking me all about the person who died like personal stuff, I just said I was bursting for the jax +went off.

Another example of stinge and down right nastyness is another guy in town does steal euro coins from the pooltables when no1 is looking, resulting in rows and arguements from the people next to play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

They were very handy the very odd time when I was a broke student. I wouldn’t abuse the facility but did use it on occasion! And I reciprocated if I had money and the sender was broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I went out with a Polish girl years ago - 12/13 years back. One morning I got to work and saw a missed call from her so I rang her back to see what was up. She said she wasn't ringing me just giving me a 'missed call' to let me know she was thinking of me. And that it was quite a common thing for her and her friends to do. I thought it was quite sweet.

Maybe your pal just had a crush on you and wanted to let you know he was thinking of you.

Or maybe your ex Polish girlfriend was a stinge also?tongue.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There are quite a number of people in my town that go to funerals just for the free meal/ food afterwards. Most of them are no way related or connected to the deceased family, just go for a gawk too, to see who else went.
    One time at a neyburs funeral 1 couple were asking me all about the person who died like personal stuff, I just said I was bursting for the jax +went off.

Another example of stinge and down right nastyness is another guy in town does steal euro coins from the pooltables when no1 is looking, resulting in rows and arguements from the people next to play

A neighbour used to come to our house every morning to have a read of my father's Independent. The first thing he'd do was go to the back pages for the deaths to see which funeral he'd go to that day. Of course he never went to the church or drove in a cortege. He'd arrive at the graveyard while the coffin was going down and find out where the grub and booze was going to be.

That was 25 and more years ago and my brother told me lately that he's still at it, except nowadays he gets his info off the wireless.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    They were very handy the very odd time when I was a broke student. I wouldn’t abuse the facility but did use it on occasion! And I reciprocated if I had money and the sender was broke.
    This isn't a stinge post but a nostalgic one. It's mad to think how the price of communication has come down. I remember ads for Telecom Eireann in the 90's on the tele saying you could ring your relatives in America for "only a pound a minute". Roll on the 00's and you can use your mobile for only 50c a minute (my first mobile). Now it's the teenies (???) and it's "wait you expect me to pay per minute when I can talk to anyone anywhere in the world for free on the internet?? Go **** yourselves phone company. And now I'm paying 30 euro per month to talk to anyone for as long as I like and I'm never off the thing.

They say technology is a bad thing but I love it. A neighbour of mine was telling me how his mother would send her sister a letter telling her to be at X person's house at Y time so that she could ring her! Imagine having to arrange a phone conversation by mail through the post!

Sorry for going off topic but I may or may not have had some alcohol and am rambling a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

NufcNavan wrote: »
    In the past few months we have had a new colleague at work. While she is nice for the most part she does have some erratic moments and can sometimes make you feel uneasy being in her presence.

Anyway, Christmas party last week. This was an unofficial event that was organised amongst staff and not by management, so 3 course meal was 30 a head. The new girl arrives and quickly announces that she 'forgot' her purse. Still has the meal and someone with more compassion than me after hearing this asked her did she want a drink. "Oh yes a glass of merlot" was the reply.

Maybe I am naive but I wouldnt hesitate about giving someone a dig-out here assunig it was an isolated event. No way would I leave someone sitting there with no drink. I would just sort a straightforward loan for the evening 50 or 100 or whatever they needed for the night, to be paid back in work. Forgetting your purse is definitely feasible.

I did it not so long ago also out for a dinner with work colleagues. I only realised when the taxi pulled in. I apologised to the driver and as I was semi-regular customer explained the situation and offered to pay him later when I was home. I still had every intention of going into dinner and assumed one of my colleagues would lend me money and I would do a quick online transfer or give money back on Monday. I would not have envisioned any problem here. As it happened, the taxi driver turned out to be soundest man alive and handed me 100 euro cash
    and told me to text him when i was home. I paid him later that evdning, use him exclusively have since recommended him to every local person I know. He told me he has done similar many times and never ever been let down.

To be honest you would be the person I would avoid with that reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    This isn't a stinge post but a nostalgic one. It's mad to think how the price of communication has come down. I remember ads for Telecom Eireann in the 90's on the tele saying you could ring your relatives in America for "only a pound a minute". Roll on the 00's and you can use your mobile for only 50c a minute (my first mobile). Now it's the teenies (???) and it's "wait you expect me to pay per minute when I can talk to anyone anywhere in the world for free on the internet?? Go **** yourselves phone company. And now I'm paying 30 euro per month to talk to anyone for as long as I like and I'm never off the thing.

They say technology is a bad thing but I love it. A neighbour of mine was telling me how his mother would send her sister a letter telling her to be at X person's house at Y time so that she could ring her! Imagine having to arrange a phone conversation by mail through the post!

Sorry for going off topic but I may or may not have had some alcohol and am rambling a bit.

€30 a month? you're being ripped off!!
    48 months have a €10 per month - all mobile calls and texts included deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Katgurl wrote: »
    Maybe I am naive but I wouldnt hesitate about giving someone a dig-out here assunig it was an isolated event. No way would I leave someone sitting there with no drink. I would just sort a straightforward loan for the evening 50 or 100 or whatever they needed for the night, to be paid back in work. Forgetting your purse is definitely feasible.

I did it not so long ago also out for a dinner with work colleagues. I only realised when the taxi pulled in. I apologised to the driver and as I was semi-regular customer explained the situation and offered to pay him later when I was home. I still had every intention of going into dinner and assumed one of my colleagues would lend me money and I would do a quick online transfer or give money back on Monday. I would not have envisioned any problem here. As it happened, the taxi driver turned out to be soundest man alive and handed me 100 euro cash
    and told me to text him when i was home. I paid him later that evdning, use him exclusively have since recommended him to every local person I know. He told me he has done similar many times and never ever been let down.

To be honest you would be the person I would avoid with that reaction.

If I had no cash on me I would be mortified to get another drink off somebody and not be able to get them back. Especially when I don't know said person that well.

Maybe that's just me. Avoid me all you like in this completely hypothetical encounter.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    €30 a month? you're being ripped off!!
    48 months have a €10 per month - all mobile calls and texts included deal!

I'm on pay as you go. I didn't know you could get bill plans that low :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

NufcNavan wrote: »

Meh she was asked what she wanted and replied. Maybe she'll get them back soon enough.

*Can't believe I wrote 'meh'. Hate that word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm on pay as you go. I didn't know you could get bill plans that low :eek:

It's not even a bill plan, you can ignore it for a few months if you like (without having credit of course) and then top up for €10 again whenever you like! Only downside is 48 has no functionality outside Ireland, but still.

So as not to derail the topic, I've decided to reveal the boundless stinge of my landlady, which will require some context.

I live in a suburb of Paris. Paris is as bad as Dublin for rent, but the suburbs cost significantly less and are very well connected for the most part. I live with a friend who had been living here since last year, but by the time I decided to move in, the landlady had already promised my room to a guy from the south who was going to take it for very sporadic periods of time (one month here and there). Really odd to agree to that in somewhere like this, but she had and I can't complain - fair enough. My friend was paying €640 and I was going to pay that too. She suggested for the months where I wouldn't have the room that I sleep in the living room and pay €500 (lol), or that me and my friend "share, and then you can split it". Thinking she meant we'd pay €320 each (which was the only sensible deduction to be made), we agreed, and she took half a month's rent off me in May "to make sure I don't give the room to anyone else"... when she already had. :confused: So I was more or less obliged to move in like, otherwise I'd have at least kept an eye out.

Anyway, September came and it turned out she wanted us to pay our respective rents EACH, regardless of the fact that we were sharing the same f*cking room but would be paying different amounts. In light of that, she kindly lowered it to €500 each... again, for a room for which she'd happily been receiving €640 up til then, she now wanted a total of €1000. You can get entire apartments in this area for that amount!
    When I argued that with her, she got extremely hostile and told me how she'd find someone else if I didn't like the deal. I pointed out that no one else would take such a ridiculous deal and that me being there for the other months (and hence guaranteeing her €640 x2) was also very convenient for her, not least because she doesn't declare us and so she gets this cash in hand. Didn't compute. We had no private space of our own, but she insisted that because we both lived there we had to pay the same amount, because yeah, that's how renting works. :confused:

She also refuses to let us use the washing machine so we have to pay that much rent, then use the laundrette down the road, while she comes back regularly and uses it all the time, so it's not like it's faulty. She charges us €10 per guest per night, and last year while my friend was away she a) took his room for four days for her family and then b) charged him €40 because his mam had stayed for four days. No idea why he paid her it, but he did and she saw no problem with it!

There are tons more stories I could share, but I'll leave it at that for now. Meanwhile, she's just come back again with her entire family, taken my roommate's room since he's gone home for the holidays, and I entered the kitchen this morning to find my new cereal (which I'd bought to tide me over til I went home) opened and left open on the counter. :) Ah, renting life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

In a wine bar I work in sometimes, last night a couple came in and the second I saw them I just knew there'd be some bullshít of some sort, the kind of people who go for a night out and having a confrontation with a waiter or barperson is part of the experience for them, I think.

Ordered one glass of wine between them after scowling over the wine list. Glass of wine is €6, not extortionate for the size of the glass and quality of the wine. Yer man handed over a fistful of change, my colleague took it, turned to the till, it added up to €4.90.

"Sorry sir, I need another €1.10 from you please"

"What? How much is the wine?"

"It's €6"

"Well then that's what I gave you"

"No I'm afraid this is €4.90"

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is, see"

Luckily he still had the coin in his hand, otherwise the guy would have insisted he was right I'd say. As it was, in the most sneering, contemptuous tone that a middle-aged middle-class man can muster he came out with

"Oh and I suppose you want your bloody euro and ten cents from me so do you?"

Yes you CRETIN. That's how it works, money is exchanged for goods and services at a pre-agreed rate. It's not our job to explain the concept of bars or commerce or fcuking capitalism to you. I suppose if you'd handed in a tenner and we gave you back €2.90 instead of €4 that would have been fine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In a wine bar I work in sometimes, last night a couple came in and the second I saw them I just knew there'd be some bullshít of some sort, the kind of people who go for a night out and having a confrontation with a waiter or barperson is part of the experience for them, I think.

Ordered one glass of wine between them after scowling over the wine list. Glass of wine is €6, not extortionate for the size of the glass and quality of the wine. Yer man handed over a fistful of change, my colleague took it, turned to the till, it added up to €4.90.

"It's €6"

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is, see"

Luckily he still had the coin in his hand, otherwise the guy would have insisted he was right I'd say. As it was, in the most sneering, contemptuous tone that a middle-aged middle-class man can muster he came out with

Yes you CRETIN. That's how it works, money is exchanged for goods and services at a pre-agreed rate. It's not our job to explain the concept of bars or commerce or fcuking capitalism to you. I suppose if you'd handed in a tenner and we gave you back €2.90 instead of €4 that would have been fine :rolleyes:
    You should have took a 1.10 glug out of the glass and then put it back in front of him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^^ ABSOLUTELY!!! That's a genius idea! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

You should have took a 1.10 glug out of the glass and then put it back in front of him.

Then put two straws in, free of charge.. while smiling sweetly at them.

I have also worked in bars - there's no escaping the cretins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

"It's €6"

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is, see"

That cracked me up brilliant solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd have poured it down the sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

That was done in a pub near me......with a pint. The guy that ordered it (in the pub every day) was 10p/10c short for his last pint. The barman took a swig and asked for the money. The guy refused the less that pint offered and walked out and never went back.
    There are times that a bit of cop-on is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Is it wrong that I've done this to someone's pint before? He'd been pulling the stunt with other barstaff who were too nice for him so the boss sent me down to that end of the bar.

Yes I had a big ****ing grin on my face when I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Have one from yesterday.

There is a local garage near me where I go to get my car cleaned. It's a self service wash with the brush and pressure washer. So I head up there yesterday morning and start washing the car. So once you've entered the code into the machine there are 3 stages all of which are on a timer:

First stage - spray shampoo on car
    Second stage - use brush/cloth to clean
    Third stage - use pressure hose washer to clean it off

So as I'm on the second stage scrubbing away I see an oul fella beside a jeep looking over at me. He's parked opposite the wash area. He's appears to be checking his tyres / engine bay but every now and again is looking over watching me doing my cleaning. I thought it was odd as there's normally nobody ever hanging around there that early on a Sunday morning but just thought he was waiting next in line in the que to use the machine. I wasn't wrong:

So I get onto the stage 3 pressure washer and hose down the car. This doesn't take long and there'd normally be a minute or 2 left over on the machine when I'm done. I start putting the pressure hose back on the hook - your man strides over and asks me for it..i reluctantly give it to him. He sprints over to his jeep dragging the hose and starts half-arsed power-hosing the car with water. Now he knows he's on a very tight timer so he is like an olympic athlete running around the jeep lugging the hose with him. The bell rings indicates theres 1 minute left. Frantically spraying the car. I'm sitting in my car watching this. Timer is up. He throws the pressure washer on the ground. Hops in the jeep and drives off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ran into an old friend in town yesterday, hadn't seen her in years, and we decided to grab a coffee and have a catch up.
    For anyone unfamiliar, at this time of year, Cork City is saturated with teenagers collecting money for SHARE, a charity which helps the elderly.
    They can be quite annoying but they literally stand outside for 12 hours a day for Christmas week only, and its part of Cork Christmas culture at this stage.

If you throw a couple of cent (or euro, whatever you have) into the bucket you get a bright yellow sticker and then the rest of the collectors will leave you alone.

We were walking past a group of lads collecting, I already had a sticker from throwing a few euro in earlier. She walked up to them and told them that she had donated a tenner earlier in the day, but that her sticker had fallen off her coat, and could she please have another sticker because she didn't want people to think she hadn't given anything, and she also didn't want any other collectors to try to approach her for a donation. The lad said no problem and gave her one.

As we walked away, she laughed about how she hadn't given a penny and never does any year, but it annoys her when the collectors think she hasn't donated, and she hates to look like a stinge, so she always uses that trick to get a free sticker so she looks charitable.

All respect lost in a matter of seconds and I couldn't get away from her fast enough. Maybe others won't think this is a stinge story because its a tough time of year financially for everyone, and normally I'd agree, but the sneakiness of it disgusted me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Ran into an old friend in town yesterday, hadn't seen her in years, and we decided to grab a coffee and have a catch up.
    For anyone unfamiliar, at this time of year, Cork City is saturated with teenagers collecting money for SHARE, a charity which helps the elderly.
    They can be quite annoying but they literally stand outside for 12 hours a day for Christmas week only, and its part of Cork Christmas culture at this stage.

If you throw a couple of cent (or euro, whatever you have) into the bucket you get a bright yellow sticker and then the rest of the collectors will leave you alone.

We were walking past a group of lads collecting, I already had a sticker from throwing a few euro in earlier. She walked up to them and told them that she had donated a tenner earlier in the day, but that her sticker had fallen off her coat, and could she please have another sticker because she didn't want people to think she hadn't given anything, and she also didn't want any other collectors to try to approach her for a donation. The lad said no problem and gave her one.

As we walked away, she laughed about how she hadn't given a penny and never does any year, but it annoys her when the collectors think she hasn't donated, and she hates to look like a stinge, so she always uses that trick to get a free sticker so she looks charitable.

All respect lost in a matter of seconds and I couldn't get away from her fast enough. Maybe others won't think this is a stinge story because its a tough time of year financially for everyone, and normally I'd agree, but the sneakiness of it disgusted me.

I'm not sure which is worse here , the stinginess or the chuggers. I half admire her for finding a way to repel them . saying that a few cents would have gotten her the sticker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm not sure which is worse here , the stinginess or the chuggers. I half admire her for finding a way to repel them . saying that a few cents would have gotten her the sticker

Yeah they can be quite annoying, alright. But if she's so against donating, which is her prerogative, then she should "own it", so to speak, rather than sneakily getting herself a sticker so she looks like a "good citizen".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't know Cork or these charity collectors, so maybe I'm wrong - but I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as chuggers who are employed and paid for their (annoying) efforts.

This sounds like a gang of schoolkids who are out doing their bit at Christmas time, and fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Ordered one glass of wine between them after scowling over the wine list...

Just imagine living with a stingy, rude individual like that, what a miserable existence! 'Lets go out for ONE glass of wine'...' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

Saw my beighbour hanging her Teabags on the clothes line this morning. Stingy as f..

Advertisement