Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I don't know Cork or these charity collectors, so maybe I'm wrong - but I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as chuggers who are employed and paid for their (annoying) efforts.

This sounds like a gang of schoolkids who are out doing their bit at Christmas time, and fair play to them.

sorry , they mightn't be that bad at all.
    I have seen some of these chugger be very rude and in your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

JustShay wrote: »
    Saw my beighbour hanging her Teabags on the clothes line this morning. Stingy as f..
    You did, yeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Murt10

Canard wrote: »
    It's not even a bill plan, you can ignore it for a few months if you like (without having credit of course) and then top up for €10 again whenever you like! Only downside is 48 has no functionality outside Ireland, but still.

I was worried about being abroad too with 48. Up to earlier this year (I think) you had to buy add ons if you were traveling.

I have have 2 friends, both on 48 (E10 pm PAYG), currently on a short break in Austria. They didn't do or buy anything prior to leaving. I spoke to them both yesterday, I rang them once and they rang me later - no problems.

Happy days!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

frag420 wrote: »
    Stop stinging on the stinge, out with it!!

Without giving away too many identifying details, I once went with her and a few others to an event outside of Dublin. I drove (no offer of petrol money of course), and I also bought a small bit of kit that was needed to compete in the event. It wasn't too expensive, a specific type of footwear, around €30 from Argos as I recall and I was happy enough to let other people competing take a lend if they had forgotten to bring a pair. That was sort of a thing there, people were lending out wetsuits and goggles and other equipment as much as they could, it was a very friendly atmosphere.

I did my run, finished, gave the pair to herself for her run and thought little more of it, apart from noting that afterwards she had passed them on to some other lad for him to use as well. Which is sound.

Cut forward a few hours, everybody is packing up and I see her deep in conversation with this lad, him with a perplexed look on his face. I'm curious, so when we're back in the car I ask what that was all about?

Turns out that during his run one of the shoes had fallen off. Think lots of mud, deep water, strenuous activity, no surprise at all that one might get lost and not really a big deal. But what had she done? Cornered the lad and made him pay €10 for the missing shoe.

10 ****ing euro like. For a bit of gear that wasn't her's in the first place, that I was never going to use again anyway, that you couldn't blame the lad for losing, at a place where everybody had pitched in to help everybody else. I hadn't even looked for the damn things to bring home again, the organisers gathered up a communal bundle of all that stuff to have for next years event, I assumed they had them and was content with that. And no the €10 wasn't getting passed back to me either.

I was disgusted, and raging that I hadn't known about it earlier because no way would I have let her pull that stunt. Like I said in the earlier post it was just in her breeding, she would pull crap like that for a measly few euro when normal people would see a slightly bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Saw my beighbour hanging her Teabags on the clothes line this morning. Stingy as f..

Maybe she is prepering ice tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

Kolido wrote: »
    Maybe she is prepering ice tea.

I doubt somebody is preparing ice tea in Ireland. Unless they are a stranded American who just woke up suddenly here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I doubt somebody is preparing ice tea in Ireland. Unless they are a stranded American who just woke up suddenly here.

Fairly stingy with the sense of humour there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I never thought about how stingy my cousin is until the last couple of years.

She was born and raised in London. She comes over every year for her yearly visit to my home house with one arm longer than the other. She expects an all inclusive holiday where she doesn't do a tap.

She would never rent a car to tour around in. Instead, she expects everyone to drop everything and ferry her to whatever excursions she wants to do. My family have to take time off work to act as her tour guide.

She wouldn't get much as get a box of chocolates to say thank you or offer to do the dishes or whatever.

You might think I sound like the stingy one but if I went to London, she wouldn't even offer for me to stay in her family home. The hospitality is never reciprocated. Anytime I went to London, I always stayed in my brothers living room on the sofa of his one bedroom flat. On one visit, there was 5 of us staying in his little flat. There was never an offer to stay in my cousins house even though there is plenty of space.

On one trip, after a night out she sent me in a taxi home across London to go back to my brothers flat. I didn't have a clue where I was going and her house was very close by. She didn't even offer for me to stay in her house that night and drive me back the next morning (in her latest model car).

We went on a 2 week driving tour of Ireland one summer in my car. I did all the driving and diesel buying. I must have spent the guts of €150 on diesel, driving every highway and byway of Ireland. At the end of the trip, she half heartedly and very reluctantly handed me €20 for diesel. I think she expected me to hand it back to her.

This women is in her mid 30s with a good job. She lives with her parents and has plenty of disposable income. She goes on plenty of holidays to far flung places but I've realised she can afford it because she never puts her hand in her own pockets.

I'm much more wise to her now and when she comes over, I'm always busy. She's such a leech. I know she's family but I wouldn't treat family like she treats others. Use and abuse for her own gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

In a wine bar I work in sometimes, last night a couple came in and the second I saw them I just knew there'd be some bullshít of some sort, the kind of people who go for a night out and having a confrontation with a waiter or barperson is part of the experience for them, I think.

Ordered one glass of wine between them after scowling over the wine list. Glass of wine is €6, not extortionate for the size of the glass and quality of the wine. Yer man handed over a fistful of change, my colleague took it, turned to the till, it added up to €4.90.

"Sorry sir, I need another €1.10 from you please"

"What? How much is the wine?"

"It's €6"

"Well then that's what I gave you"

"No I'm afraid this is €4.90"

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is, see"

Luckily he still had the coin in his hand, otherwise the guy would have insisted he was right I'd say. As it was, in the most sneering, contemptuous tone that a middle-aged middle-class man can muster he came out with

"Oh and I suppose you want your bloody euro and ten cents from me so do you?"

Yes you CRETIN. That's how it works, money is exchanged for goods and services at a pre-agreed rate. It's not our job to explain the concept of bars or commerce or fcuking capitalism to you. I suppose if you'd handed in a tenner and we gave you back €2.90 instead of €4 that would have been fine :rolleyes:

If I was the manager and saw that, I'd immediately ask them to leave. No business needs to pander to obnoxious cheapskates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm not sure which is worse here , the stinginess or the chuggers. I half admire her for finding a way to repel them . saying that a few cents would have gotten her the sticker

They're not chuggers, they're 4th, 5th and 6th year secondary school students out standing with a collection jar. They'd give you a sticker if you gave 1c.
    That's one of the most stingy things you can do, but it does happen all the time. You'd often hear folk complaining after they changed coats and the new one didn't have a sticker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

loyatemu wrote: »
    If I was the manager and saw that, I'd immediately ask them to leave. No business needs to pander to obnoxious cheapskates.

Oh that's like a three on the dickhead scale in there. Water off a duck's back. Only guy I asked to leave that night was the guy who called me a cranky auld bitch! And he gave away his bottle of wine in the way out so he's no place in this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

She was born and raised in London. She comes over every year for her yearly visit to my home house with one arm longer than the other. She expects an all inclusive holiday where she doesn't do a tap.

She would never rent a car to tour around in. Instead, she expects everyone to drop everything and ferry her to whatever excursions she wants to do. My family have to take time off work to act as her tour guide.

She wouldn't get much as get a box of chocolates to say thank you or offer to do the dishes or whatever.

You might think I sound like the stingy one but if I went to London, she wouldn't even offer for me to stay in her family home. The hospitality is never reciprocated. Anytime I went to London, I always stayed in my brothers living room on the sofa of his one bedroom flat. On one visit, there was 5 of us staying in his little flat. There was never an offer to stay in my cousins house even though there is plenty of space.

On one trip, after a night out she sent me in a taxi home across London to go back to my brothers flat. I didn't have a clue where I was going and her house was very close by. She didn't even offer for me to stay in her house that night and drive me back the next morning (in her latest model car).

We went on a 2 week driving tour of Ireland one summer in my car. I did all the driving and diesel buying. I must have spent the guts of €150 on diesel, driving every highway and byway of Ireland. At the end of the trip, she half heartedly and very reluctantly handed me €20 for diesel. I think she expected me to hand it back to her.

This women is in her mid 30s with a good job. She lives with her parents and has plenty of disposable income. She goes on plenty of holidays to far flung places but I've realised she can afford it because she never puts her hand in her own pockets.

I'm much more wise to her now and when she comes over, I'm always busy. She's such a leech. I know she's family but I wouldn't treat family like she treats others. Use and abuse for her own gain.

"Your home house"

Ehhh ..... does this mean you are living with your Parents ... isn't it her Parents that are stingy if they aren't reciprocating ????

How can she invite you over if it isn't her place anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

redcup342 wrote: »
    "Your home house"

Ehhh ..... does this mean you are living with your Parents ... isn't it her Parents that are stingy if they aren't reciprocating ????

How can she invite you over if it isn't her place anyway ?

I meant the house I was brought up in.

My cousin could easily have offered for me to stay in her room but she is just spoilt.

I would say it's her parents too but I know they don't have a lot of money rather than don't want to spend it.

Just thought of another one about her. I had my daughter's birthday party in a soft play centre during the summer. She came along with my family as it was during her all inclusive week here and she didn't even bring a card with a nice message on it. I don't care about buying a gift but who comes to a child's party without so much as a card!

It's actually boiling my blood thinking of her. I wish I was wise to her years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭fitzparker

lad in work is bad for it, he sits next to the kitchen so anything going on he can get to it first.

We get fruit every morning, about 40 pieces get put on table for around 70 people, he takes about 5 pieces.

when there is a birthday cake, even if he barely knows the person he is there to get a slice.

He stays here from 8 in the morning until 8 at night to save heating

has no tele, he and the wife just reads

5 chicken fillets do him and the wife a week for dinner (sometimes lunch aswell)

people leave cereal in press he goes to it and eats 6 weetabix in one go

colleagues that are there late have said he supposedly goes around meeting rooms when everyone is gone home and brings back the left over sandwiches.

he comes in the weekend to do some college work and walks out with handfuls of teabags.

this lad is the worst of the worst, but still goes on an expensive holiday once a year.....

come to think of it, i might start myself :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Secret Santa on Friday. It was optional so no need to take part. One person got no gift. Found out who it was (known stinge) and he had 'had bought it and wrapped it, and forgotten to bring it in'. No worries, bring it in Monday.

Today he had nothing so the no nonsense secretary asked him for it, conversation went like this :
    So, did you bring her Secret Santa?
    But it was over Friday.
    Yeah, but she got no gift off you.
    There's no point me getting one, she's off from tomorrow.
    Bring it in anyway, we'll look after it till the New Year.
    I've no time to get her something now.
    But you got her something Friday.
    No, I never said that.
    Eh, you did
    No I didnt.. (etc etc)

Tight prick.

Took his wife to the office Party as one of the other lads dropped out due to a sick baby. They ate a fair whack of the buffet and took stuff home in tinfoil sheets that they brought with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    €30 a month? you're being ripped off!!
    48 months have a €10 per month - all mobile calls and texts included deal!

I'm on pay as you go. I didn't know you could get bill plans that low :eek:
    €10 per month, pay as you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Greybottle wrote: »
    Secret Santa on Friday. It was optional so no need to take part. One person got no gift. Found out who it was (known stinge) and he had 'had bought it and wrapped it, and forgotten to bring it in'. No worries, bring it in Monday.

Today he had nothing so the no nonsense secretary asked him for it, conversation went like this :
    So, did you bring her Secret Santa?
    But it was over Friday.
    Yeah, but she got no gift off you.
    There's no point me getting one, she's off from tomorrow.
    Bring it in anyway, we'll look after it till the New Year.
    I've no time to get her something now.
    But you got her something Friday.
    No, I never said that.
    Eh, you did
    No I didnt.. (etc etc)

Tight prick.

Took his wife to the office Party as one of the other lads dropped out due to a sick baby. They ate a fair whack of the buffet and took stuff home in tinfoil sheets that they brought with them.

He deserves a kick in the nuts, dreadful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You and your parents need to wise up and just say that you have other friends staying over. Live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Greybottle wrote: »

:eek:...
    There are no words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

LynnGrace wrote: »
    :eek:...
    There are no words!

There sure are. Just none the swear filter will allow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    €10 per month, pay as you go

Ah here.. You're mentioning this 10 euro monthly pay as you go deal in THIS thread? Do I have to be the one to say it? :P

Only messing.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

I had a grandaunt used to hang teabags off the line and reuse them. Seriously!!! I can still remember them hanging off the line. Though maybe it was the generation she came from, she spent most of her twenties living in England during WW2 and the Blitz, so it could have been a habit left over from rationing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Reading this thread one thing I can't believe is just how shameless stingebags can be. Some of them even seem proud of their stinginess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Reading this thread one thing I can't believe is just how shameless stingebags can be. Some of them even seem proud of their stinginess.

I bet theres a few reading this thread for new ideas:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Xmas really brings out the stinge in people.

One of my neighbors is incredibly tight with presents. Some of her highlights include:

Giving us a bottle of wine. Apparently it was her favorite brand she bought all the time. She’d obviously been drinking too much to remember I was there when she won it in a raffle two weeks before.

Last year she gave us a box of biscuits. When we opened it it was full of sewing gear. She’s obviously found a tin in the back of the press and decided she’d pawn it off on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

That reminds me, not so much stingey as embarrasing. My sister got a box of sweets for her friend last Christmas, she got few boxes in for the family and to give as gifts. Anyway, her OH had one of the boxes opened and took a handfull of sweets from it. Lo and behold, didn't my sister wrap the box that was opened and give it to her friend. Luckily enough, they all saw the funny side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Xmas really brings out the stinge in people.

One of my neighbors is incredibly tight with presents. Some of her highlights include:

Giving us a bottle of wine. Apparently it was her favorite brand she bought all the time. She’d obviously been drinking too much to remember I was there when she won it in a raffle two weeks before.

Last year she gave us a box of biscuits. When we opened it it was full of sewing gear. She’s obviously found a tin in the back of the press and decided she’d pawn it off on us.
    Lol. Invite her over for tea and then act like you've just remembered the tin of biscuits, say 'I'll open these now and we can have a few with the cuppa'. Proceed to open them in front of her and watch her go scarlet.
    For maximum effect have a few other neighbours/friends there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

A colleague of mine was caught out by a stinge in our Kris Kindle thing in work the other day. His boss was the one who had him as her kris kindle. She is notorious for not buying presents and hasn't done it for the past seven years (she's another notorious stinge). She happened to get a present of a hamper from a supplier earlier that day and because she's pregnant the hamper was full of non-alcoholic drink.

Anyway, rather than go out and buy something, she leaves the office for the evening only telling one other person at the very last minute that she wouldn't be going to that evening's party where the presents were to be exchanged. One or two of our colleagues, who knew yer man would be the only one of the group without a present that night, did the only thing they could do and persuaded her to let them lift a bottle from her hamper. Non-alcoholic sparkling wine! We thought, at least he'll have something. Sure enough, he took it in the right spirit and we all had a great night.

The next day she came in and eventually left a wine bag with a set of socks in it (our budget was 20 quid) and said nothing. I heard her asking him later if he'd drunk the wine yet. How he didn't say anything to her is beyond me!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lol. Invite her over for tea and then act like you've just remembered the tin of biscuits, say 'I'll open these now and we can have a few with the cuppa'. Proceed to open them in front of her and watch her go scarlet.
    For maximum effect have a few other neighbours/friends there too.

You'll have them all in stitches! :pac:

(Sorry Mods, couldn't resist).

Not my stingy anecdote, but I remember many years ago someone complaining about having received from their mother in law a soap on a rope. It had been previously used, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anatom wrote: »
    A colleague of mine was caught out by a stinge in our Kris Kindle thing in work the other day. His boss was the one who had him as her kris kindle. She is notorious for not buying presents and hasn't done it for the past seven years

Translation: She doesn't want a bit of the stupid kris kindle routine but people won't take the hint. :pac:

Advertisement