Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Kolido wrote: »
    That reminds me, not so much stingey as embarrasing. My sister got a box of sweets for her friend last Christmas, she got few boxes in for the family and to give as gifts. Anyway, her OH had one of the boxes opened and took a handfull of sweets from it. Lo and behold, didn't my sister wrap the box that was opened and give it to her friend. Luckily enough, they all saw the funny side of it.

Ah thats nothing. Once worked in a gruesome big call centre and Secret Santa few year ago got a half drank naggin of vodka from a burntout English boozehound who worked in the office. The wrapping was the midas touch though. I was impressed with the toilet roll wrapping around the naggin beautifully presented in a crinkled microwave popcorn box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ah thats nothing. Once worked in a gruesome big call centre and Secret Santa few year ago got a half drank naggin of vodka from a burntout English boozehound who worked in the office. The wrapping was the midas touch though. I was impressed with the toilet roll wrapping around the naggin beautifully presented in a crinkled microwave popcorn box.

Reduce, re-use and re-cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Tis the thought that counts. :D
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Translation: She doesn't want a bit of the stupid kris kindle routine but people won't take the hint. :pac:

Its an opt-in situation which she chooses, every year, to say she'll take part in. There's no pressure on her. She just wouldn't spend a penny on anyone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

dubstarr wrote: »
    I bet theres a few reading this thread for new ideas:D:D

Can't believe the stinge for thanks on this post.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Many years ago I worked with a complete stingy p***k! I had 2 tickets to see a comedian (I think it was Rich Hall), but I couldn't go, so I sent a mail around to see if anyone wanted them. I didn't even bother asking for money so offered them for free. Your man responds in a split second saying he'll take them. So a few days later I find out through someone else in the office, the tight git had sold them and was bragging that he made a tidy profit off me! When I confronted him about it he was all embarrassed, so I asked him for the money, which he reluctantly handed over to me. I gave it to charity and told him a few days later....he didn't look very pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I have refused to go to work xmas party or be involved in secret santa, many have called me stingy.

I like to think i just dont like this stupid holiday and would rather have a nice quiet time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭kg703

chewed wrote: »
    Many years ago I worked with a complete stingy p***k! I had 2 tickets to see a comedian (I think it was Rich Hall), but I couldn't go, so I sent a mail around to see if anyone wanted them. I didn't even bother asking for money so offered them for free. Your man responds in a split second saying he'll take them. So a few days later I find out through someone else in the office, the tight git had sold them and was bragging that he made a tidy profit off me! When I confronted him about it he was all embarrassed, so I asked him for the money, which he reluctantly handed over to me. I gave it to charity and told him a few days later....he didn't look very pleased!

Fair play to ya for getting the money off him!

What a k**b

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I have refused to go to work xmas party or be involved in secret santa, many have called me stingy.

I like to think i just dont like this stupid holiday and would rather have a nice quiet time.

Thats some lame excuse, what a stingy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anatom wrote: »
    Its an opt-in situation which she chooses, every year, to say she'll take part in. There's no pressure on her. She just wouldn't spend a penny on anyone else...

In a previous job of mine KK was also opt-in and every single person in the office bar one guy chose to participate. Somehow, between the jigs and the reels, his name was put into the hat so someone got him as a recipient and bought him a present. Which he happily accepted knowing full well that he wasn't supposed to be in it and he hadn't bought a gift back, meaning someone else was going to be left with nothing.

When it was copped a few hours later, he was asked to give the gift back and made a HUMONGOUS song and dance about it, the scabby fcuker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have to admit, I absolutely hate KK. It genuinely left me in a cold sweat this year. The way our office does it, the gift has to be something absolutely hilarious and all gifts are opened one by one, with the whole office watching in anticipation. I don't know my colleagues too well and all the fun was taken out of it trying to think of something "hilarious".
    If there was a way I could opt out without looking like a massive stinge, I'd definitely do it!

chewed wrote: »

Had tickets to Bill Bailey a few years ago and my now wife couldn't make it, put a post up amongst friends asking if anyone was interested in the second ticket. Got a message off a friend who asked "was the ticket free". I replied of course it was and his next message was along the lines of, "I'm out with friends and they're buying drinks for me for the night, if you buy me drinks at the gig I'll go with you". I asked was he serious and he was, since that day I've never spoken to him again. I liked him but would never go in rounds with him but never thought he was such a stingy scumbag. I ended up giving the ticket in at the ticket desk and told them to give it to the next person who came to buy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not my stingy anecdote, but I remember many years ago someone complaining about having received from their mother in law a soap on a rope. It had been previously used, too.[/QUOTE]

How hairy was the soap on a rope

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I didn't want to know. I keep thinking about this:

YIxGkKr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Kolido wrote:
    That reminds me, not so much stingey as embarrasing. My sister got a box of sweets for her friend last Christmas, she got few boxes in for the family and to give as gifts. Anyway, her OH had one of the boxes opened and took a handfull of sweets from it. Lo and behold, didn't my sister wrap the box that was opened and give it to her friend. Luckily enough, they all saw the funny side of it.

As a young lad I did this loads of times.
    Mother buys tins of biscuits for neighbours - I'd take the tape off eat a few from the bottom layer and then tape it back up..

Plenty of our neighbours got USA boxes of biscuits half gone..

If you go for the bottom layer - the neighbour won't realise for a few days after opening and blame their kids.

The perfect crime!! (Well mid 80's rural Ireland crime)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Tis the thought that counts. :D

Could have given the full naggin the drunk ould stingy fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Mother buys tins of biscuits for neighbours - I'd take the tape off eat a few from the bottom layer and then tape it back up..

If you go for the bottom layer - the neighbour won't realise for a few days after opening and blame their kids.

there is something wonderfull about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Genius :D

not sure is this stingy or not.

guy I was working with today told me that his family have decided to cut out the post man from their card delivering. his brothers and sisters all live in local towns and villages close by.
    they met up last week and pooled all the cards. then they delivered all the ones in their area.

@1€; a go it saved a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

guy I was working with today told me that his family have decided to cut out the post man from their card delivering. his brothers and sisters all live in local towns and villages close by.
    they met up last week and pooled all the cards. then they delivered all the ones in their area.

I think that's nice - a personal visit instead of a card in the post. I don't think that's stingy at all.

• Advertisement

I think that's nice - a personal visit instead of a card in the post. I don't think that's stingy at all.

I don't either but dropping in with cards from the rest of the family could be seen as them being stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Myself and my siblings done this and still do!

A few years ago, my older brother swapped a tin of full roses. with a tin of roses containing a sewing kit. Twine, needles, etc. etc. The neighbours received it when they were visiting us. Then decided to have a sweet from the tin we give them, while they were at our house.

John Willie, opened the tin only to find the sewing kit and stones within sandwich bags to replicate the weight inside the rose tin. My mother nearly died with embarrassment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I did something like that yesterday . I sent my mother an envelope with four cards. One each for her, my brother, sister and uncle. €1.40 after being weighed in the PO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

my mum doesn't want to see me for christmas. she was murmuring: why don't you visit for your birthday instead?(which is shortly after christmas). she only wants me to come over for my birthday so she doesn't have to pack and send a birthday parcel via post. are there any words for this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

tara73 wrote: »
    my mum doesn't want to see me for christmas. she was murmuring: why don't you visit for your birthday instead?(which is shortly after christmas). she only wants me to come over for my birthday so she doesn't have to pack and send a birthday parcel via post. are there any words for this...

Sensible.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can't she give you your birthday present at Christmas, or the next time you're over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

New Home wrote: »
    Can't she give you your birthday present at Christmas, or the next time you're over?

?? haha, tell that to my mum. your destroying her cold hearted stinge plans here:) it's actually the double, ultimate stinge: stingy with emotional warmth coupled with financial stinginess. but I guess it often goes hand in hand.

Ah, yes. The good, old, maternal emotional blackmail. A classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Talking of avoiding that €1 for a stamp...
    Mother in law has a travel pass. She lives about 2 hours bus journey from us. Last week she was going to get the bus to our house and post our Christmas card through the door, then head back home. She wasn't going to even call in to us (she probably thought she'd have to buy biscuits or something), just trek back across the city to get a bus home. Daft woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭dinneenp

tara73 wrote: »

Ask her to visit you for your birthday...she'd have a heart attack.

Advertisement