Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

I was hounding my farther two years ago for him to buy a karcher power washers. I explained to him that it would make it effortless to wash the car. I really wanted it for myself as well but I didn't let on. So I asked him to buy it like once a day for 6 months to get one. After the 6 months passed I give in and bought it.

He asked me a week later, if he could "borrow it." I was happy enough for him to use it. However, to my shock, these "borrowings" became more regular. How these days he washes his car every evening without fail. During the summer he washes it every 2/3 days.

I used it about twice in the last 2 years..

We had a mobile WiFi dongle, he suggested that I top up by 20 euro each month to use my phone as a hot spot. As he claimed that it was always missing. I started topping up by 20 euro each month. He then started asking if he could connect to the hot spot.

Just yesterday the brother told me that the old fella used to hide the dongle on me, as he was afraid of it exceeding the limit, but he canceled it shortly after getting it. **** sake like...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

This is one about me. I feel fucking terrible about it. I ordered pizza, chips, cookie dough and two portions of ice cream from a well-known pizza establishment. I paid by card through justeat.ie.

The ice cream didn’t come. I noticed this and ran out the door and flagged down the delivery driver to see if it was in the car and maybe he just forgot to give it to me.

It wasn’t there. He said he’d give me back the €7. I stoood there waiting as he rooted out the change.

Chances are, that came out of his tips and he had to pay for the mistake. I feel like a monster.

I should have just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

On Xmas Eve we laid out boxes of roses for customers to pick at etc.

I had one at my desk and after helping a customer for 20 mins or so she asked for a sweet.I said there their for the taking so help yourself.

She said she was making rice crispy cakes and took all the dairy milk ones to melt.About 12 of them.Thanked me and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I had one at my desk and after helping a customer for 20 mins or so she asked for a sweet.I said there their for the taking so help yourself.

She said she was making rice crispy cakes and took all the dairy milk ones to melt.About 12 of them.Thanked me and left.

Jesus ****ing christ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

What a cow, I wonder who she scabbed the Rice Krispies off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My sister bought me for xmas a pack of Tesco 3 pack of boxer underwear. She left the sticker of the price on them. In general she never shuts up about how valuable Tesco club points are. God I do feel special sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I did well the other night.

My daughter works part time in a restaurant. Due to a breakdown in communications I won't go into, a customer got a rare steak instead of a fish dish. The problem was rectified and as it was near the end of the night the chef went to dump the steak. My daughter, who knows me only too well shouted, "Stop. My father will eat that.".

Half an hour later I sliced it and fired it into a wok with a few other bits and pieces.

AllForIt wrote: »
    My sister bought me for xmas a pack of Tesco 3 pack of boxer underwear. She left the sticker of the price on them. In general she never shuts up about how valuable Tesco club points are. God I do feel special sometimes.

For the third year running I got aftershave from the "Bargain Basket" from the same person. .

I've had a beard for the last twenty five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

sligojoek wrote: »
    I did well the other night.

My daughter works part time in a restaurant. Due to a breakdown in communications I won't go into, a customer got a rare steak instead of a fish dish. The problem was rectified and as it was near the end of the night the chef went to dump the steak. My daughter, who knows me only too well shouted, "Stop. My father will eat that.".

Half an hour later I sliced it and fired it into a wok with a few other bits and pieces.
    Not stingy at all! That's great, it's always a shame when food is thrown out. A mate of mine works as a chef so I know the craic. Had a steak come out well done instead of medium rare from a hotel once, it was near the end of the night so I brought it to their attention and told them to save it for themselves. They did so and were super nice about the whole thing. I hate seeing food go to waste, especially a full steak.

• Advertisement

Don't know if this is stingy, a scam, or just clever free enterprise, but anyway. Some years ago I worked in a factory with this guy who seemingly by sheer coincidence always "had a friend" who was selling something you happened to mention you were looking to buy.

It would work like this (and this is an actual example). We would sit around the canteen at lunch time and in conversation someone says "my washing machine is on the blink again, happens all the time, no way I'm paying for another repair but I just haven't got the money for a new one this month". Cue your man, chimes in with "a neighbour of mine is moving house, looking to sell their machine, I can get you a good price".

All very friendly and helpful you might think, except all he does next is rifle through the pages of that Buy&Sell magazine, find a cheap washing machine, and sell it on at twice the price to his target. And you can't haggle the price because he says it's not his property, he's only acting as some sort of third party agent, a go-between between buyer and seller out of the goodness of his heart.

I'm not exaggerating when I say your man was at this constantly. Ear to the ground 24/7. Didn't matter what you were looking for, he had a "friend" selling one on the cheap. It was a pretty big place too, so I'm surprised I was the only one who figured him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Don't know if this is stingy, a scam, or just clever free enterprise, but anyway. Some years ago I worked in a factory with this guy who seemingly by sheer coincidence always "had a friend" who was selling something you happened to mention you were looking to buy.

It would work like this (and this is an actual example). We would sit around the canteen at lunch time and in conversation someone says "my washing machine is on the blink again, happens all the time, no way I'm paying for another repair but I just haven't got the money for a new one this month". Cue your man, chimes in with "a neighbour of mine is moving house, looking to sell their machine, I can get you a good price".

All very friendly and helpful you might think, except all he does next is rifle through the pages of that Buy&Sell magazine, find a cheap washing machine, and sell it on at twice the price to his target. And you can't haggle the price because he says it's not his property, he's only acting as some sort of third party agent, a go-between between buyer and seller out of the goodness of his heart.

I'm not exaggerating when I say your man was at this constantly. Ear to the ground 24/7. Didn't matter what you were looking for, he had a "friend" selling one on the cheap. It was a pretty big place too, so I'm surprised I was the only one who figured him out.
    great business idea.
    nothing stinge about him doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

great business idea. nothing stinge about him doing that

great business idea. nothing stinge about him doing that

Spoken like a true stinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Was his last name Trotter? or maybe Daley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Spoken like a true stinge!

how is it any diferent to someone saying their brother runs a home appliance shop and acting as a middle man.
    if you are happy with the price then pay it , don't if your not.

he is running a small business , buy cheaper that you sell makes good business sence. he isn't a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

For the third year running I got aftershave from the "Bargain Basket" from the same person. .

I've had a beard for the last twenty five years.

Maybe she is trying to tell you something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

how is it any diferent to someone saying their brother runs a home appliance shop and acting as a middle man.
    if you are happy with the price then pay it , don't if your not.

he is running a small business , buy cheaper that you sell makes good business sence. he isn't a charity.

Ok, if he's running a business, he won't mind offering a warranty, will he?
    No? Thought not. In which case he's being nothing more than a dishonest trader.
    Not just a guy who spots an opportunity - that would be a one off, or if more than a one-off, would be honest about it, instead of the bollocks he comes out with about his neighbour or some relative selling the item.

<obligatory stinge content>
    I'd vote for stinge, because if any of the items breaks, he won't want to know, and he won't be putting his hand in his pocket.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: As per OP, no stinge, no post!

Either take chat to PM or include a stinge in your post.

Buford T. Justice

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057824293/1

1. Putting a staff member (likely on min wage) in a position to have to fend off a scab (trying to charm / sleeze their way into a staff member putting their job at risk)

2. Spend 4 days whinging about it in the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I have a family member who epitomises stinge.

He is a student, but for various reasons (inheritance) he has more money than any student I have ever encountered.

He is the meanest person I have encountered in a long time. I have lots of examples, but one I learned of this week takes the biscuit. He lives in a shared accommodation for uni. He sourced the house so got the best room. Fair enough. They split the rent equally between all housemates. He was the lead contact with the landlord, and behind his housemates backs he negotiated a rent decrease and a deal on the bills, which he didn’t inform his housemates of. So he has had a reduction of ~150 a month in his outgoings, while ripping his friends off.

His dad gave him a TV when he was going to college, but he told his housemates that he bought it and charged them a share of it.

He sold his old PlayStation to his friend, and then took it back when his friend upgraded his.

He buys things, uses them, repackages them and then returns them.

He’s frugal to the point of stinge. He will only eat food from the reduced aisle of the supermarket. If he’s going out for dinner and paying himself he’ll eat the cheapest thing off the menu, but if someone else is paying he’ll get the steak. He won’t stand his round in the pub, but gets away with it because he’s a student :rolleyes: (I benefited from that when I was a student but I had no money!)

He will travel at ungodly hours to save €10 on a flight, unless someone else is paying, in which case he’ll choose the dearest option.

It’s not that he can’t afford it, he’s just mean. He has the latest iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Applewatch. He only wears designer underwear. Latest headphones & technology.

I had a tub of Haagen Dazs ice cream which i had hidden in the freezer. He found it and ate it. When I called him on it he apologised and replaced it. With tesco own brand ice cream. Even though the tesco stocks the Haagen Dazs.

He frustrates me beyond belief.

• Advertisement

Beat this.

Someone I know told me this about a friend of hers.
    Her friend Jane went out with a guy named Tim for two weeks. <Not real names>

They split up and later Jane found out she was pregnant. Between hoppin and trottin they now have a three year old daughter and they hate each others guts. Last week Tim had the daughter for a day and at some stage she wet herself. Tom bought a 3 pack of underwear in Dunnes for 4euro. When he brought the child home he put the receipt on the table and demanded 2 euro from her for the 2 unused knickers. He thought he was being gracious by paying 2 euro for the one the child was wearing.

Here's the good bit. He was stopped by the cops on the way home and the car was lifted for no tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,108 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A quality parent so to speak :D
    Beat this.

They split up and later Jane found out she was pregnant. Between hoppin and trottin they now have a three year old daughter and they hate each others guts. Last week Tim had the daughter for a day and at some stage she wet herself. Tom bought a 3 pack of underwear in Dunnes for 4euro. When he brought the child home he put the receipt on the table and demanded 2 euro from her for the 2 unused knickers. He thought he was being gracious by paying 2 euro for the one the child was wearing.

Here's the good bit. He was stopped by the cops on the way home and the car was lifted for no tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

In the local around Christmas the landlord usually gives the locals a couple free drinks.

There's a fella that only comes in at Christmas to get his free drink.

A quality parent so to speak :D

I know him vaguely. A top class tosser in other fields.

Your Face wrote: »
    In the local around Christmas the landlord usually gives the locals a couple free drinks.

There's a fella that only comes in at Christmas to get his free drink.

My father used to get a botttle of whiskey every xmas in his local. One year he won a bottle in the draw and got none for xmas. He never went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

My father used to get a botttle of whiskey every xmas in his local. One year he won a bottle in the draw and got none for xmas. He never went back.

Feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

great business idea.
    nothing stinge about him doing that

Not sure I agree. Guaranteed he was buying any old ****e and if there was a problem.... "sorry I'm just a messenger".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think I posted this in the Christmas forum before.
    One day we had just opened a tub of Heroes and my father asked my mother what was the nicest sweet was and she said the eclair. A few minutes later I caught him taking all the eclairs out of the box and hiding them. They weren't for my mother they were for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Beat this.

Reminds me of a lad I know. He had a kid with a girl and they broke up. He got with another girl who already had kids with two other guys who don't pay anything towards the kids. He had another kid with her. He stopped paying for maintenance for his first kid because he was 'paying enough for his new family'.

One of his more bizarre things he said to the judge was he couldn't afford to get the bus to collect his child and wanted the mother to drop him over to him. The judge told him to walk.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a lad I know. He had a kid with a girl and they broke up. He got with another girl who already had kids with two other guys who don't pay anything towards the kids. He had another kid with her. He stopped paying for maintenance for his first kid because he was 'paying enough for his new family'.

One of his more bizarre things he said to the judge was he couldn't afford to get the bus to collect his child and wanted the mother to drop him over to him. The judge told him to walk.:D

Not so much stinge as more a reflection of the callous, "up yours" mentality that the courts and partners have towards fathers who break up with the mothers of their children.

Advertisement