Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Some pr!ck put a bag of rubbish in my bin (pay by weight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not so much stinge as more a reflection of the callous, "up yours" mentality that the courts and partners have towards fathers who break up with the mothers of their children.

Three fathers who don't pay maintenance for their kids here, and you look to blame the courts and the mothers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Not so much stinge as more a reflection of the callous, "up yours" mentality that the courts and partners have towards fathers who break up with the mothers of their children.

that's what you took from that story?

anyway stinge in-coming

A lad I work with was without a car for a while and had to walk to and from work.
    I started earlier but finished same time so brought him home as it was more or less on my way, just took a slightly longer route.

this went on for about 6 weeks. He got his car back and that was that.

fast forward a few weeks and there is a meeting in dublin we both have to go to, he offers to drive i accept delighted.

Half way up he pulls in for fuel, i pop into shop get him a coke and one for myself, jump back into car and he goes "right i topped her up 25 is your share"

I looked at him and laughed thinking a joke but no dead serious.
    I pointed out that I brought him home for weeks for free. he gets in a huff and says fine then we're even now.

meeting ends at 4 and lo and behold fcuker leaves without me stranding me in dublin with no way home. Ended up gettin a taxi to bus station and having to wait an age to get bus home.

When work found out my manager was shocked and said your man had got mileage for going up and all.

he ended up cutting his mileage in half and giving me half (happy days as it was a nice bit)

your man didnt speak to me again after that ever unles he absolutely had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

They don't get to break up with the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

At the end of an office lunch just before Christmas, as we were leaving the restaurant one of the lads I work with walked around the table we'd all been at and loaded up his hoody pockets with the unopened little packets of biscuits that come with the tea/coffee, and worse, with the little hard white & brown sugar cubes he'd just scooped out of the bowl from the table :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

I take brown sugar packets from coffee shops. I'm paying enough and I'm not bothered buying brown sugar when I barely use it. I just have them so when I'm in the mood for a coffee with sugar it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭kg703

I guess I'm a stinge - I always take the free biscuits/sweets if people leave them. Especially the little chocolate mints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

[monotone]Oh great, let's drag gender politics into the stinge thread. How delightful.[/monotone]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sullivlo wrote: »

He only wears designer underwear.

How do you know he wears designer underwear?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

jcd5971 wrote: »
    that's what you took from that story?

anyway stinge in-coming

A lad I work with was without a car for a while and had to walk to and from work.
    I started earlier but finished same time so brought him home as it was more or less on my way, just took a slightly longer route.

this went on for about 6 weeks. He got his car back and that was that.

fast forward a few weeks and there is a meeting in dublin we both have to go to, he offers to drive i accept delighted.

Half way up he pulls in for fuel, i pop into shop get him a coke and one for myself, jump back into car and he goes "right i topped her up 25 is your share"

I looked at him and laughed thinking a joke but no dead serious.
    I pointed out that I brought him home for weeks for free. he gets in a huff and says fine then we're even now.

meeting ends at 4 and lo and behold fcuker leaves without me stranding me in dublin with no way home. Ended up gettin a taxi to bus station and having to wait an age to get bus home.

When work found out my manager was shocked and said your man had got mileage for going up and all.

he ended up cutting his mileage in half and giving me half (happy days as it was a nice bit)

your man didnt speak to me again after that ever unles he absolutely had to.
    Win-win situation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

my sister is the stingiest person in the world.

She cant help herself.

She cooked a pizza today that was meant to be for both of us. Tried to take it all and run off to her room leaving me without dinner.

I was gonna leave her off but the mother went down and told her cop on. (sister is 27 by the way....)

So she sent me back up 1 slice of the pepperoni AND SHE HAD TAKEN ALL THE PEPPERONI off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

How do you know he wears designer underwear?

Because he lived with us for the summer and I was doing his laundry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's an aul dear that's a member of the local golf club that comes in to it every day to have a shower, not to golf. Too tight to use her own leccy, the other members call her wash n go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

enricoh wrote: »
    There's an aul dear that's a member of the local golf club that comes in to it every day to have a shower, not to golf. Too tight to use her own leccy, the other members call her wash n go!

Must be very cheap membership if she's saving money by doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Has she not got running water? That do my head in!

My contribution!

For Christmas, my brother give my parents a check of €1,000 .. The stinge being that he owed them this money since the start of February 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

What’s stingey about that, assume she pays a members fee like everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Female member at my local Golf club used to order a mug of hot water.no charge,and the sneak a tea bag into it when she got back to the table!All to avoid paying 1 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

First, they came for the Stinges.
    And I sed nuttin'
    Cos I didn't want to be banned.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There should be allowed 2 replies made to each stinge post, I can see how endless discussions on something trivial would get annoying but part of the fun is discussing something.

Like that woman using the shower, she might not have hot/running water or maybe her shower just isn't as good as the one at the club. I'm not saying she isn't a stinge but that alone doesn't qualify someone as a stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭AllForIt

sligojoek wrote: »
    For the third year running I got aftershave from the "Bargain Basket" from the same person. .

I've had a beard for the last twenty five years.

Maybe they just wanted to buy you gifts that would last a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Some posts remind me of my own friends/family.

My mother joined a gym with me year before last. After a few weeks she had come to the conclusion that she was actually saving money by going to the pool each day. She had gotten the membership on a special deal, was saving money on not having to shower at home, and was using the towels left out for guests of the hotel the gym belonged to (regular members were supposed to bring their own towels), so she didn't have to wash and dry towels. She had no shame in telling everyone she met in the pool all about how they all had to be saving money.

She also started shopping in Aldi when she noticed all the local "rich" people were shopping in it. "Maybe that's how they stay rich..." She now gets her full shop in it after years of just assuming it was poor quality produce before she started copying the rich.

On the rich staying rich, my uncle lives abroad and owns property, is well off but you wouldn't know by looking at him. Dresses in old clothes when he's home. On his last trip, my brother who was a student at the time offered to run him up to the bus stop (45 mins away) to get the bus to the airport. Up he gets at 5 in the morning, collects uncle and the family and drops them to bus stop. Get to the stop and realise they're early. Uncle asks brother to stay around with them until the bus gets here as it's cold and they could sit in the car. Brother leaves car running for 30 minutes until bus arrives. Out hops uncle and family, uncle turns back "see ya then thanks for that." Brother was disgusted. His car was very heavy on petrol and he was a student. Any normal person would throw you 20 Euro. We all laughed when he got home, my mother knowing full well he'd get nothing out of her brother in law. "I'm telling you that's how people like that stay rich."

I think I'd rather be poor than be stingey. You can't bring it with you so what's the point? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From the negative person thread. It's the attitude.
    The most negative person I know recently complained that they had lost a tenner on a horse....except they hadn't....the horse had won but they had forgotten to take the odds at time of bet so they would have won an extra tenner if they had. They actually stood there when the horse won saying "ffs, I lost a tenner on that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

A work colleague was telling me recently of her sister. In December she went in to an Irish shop, picked their brains and looked at different sizes of something, and then bought online from abroad. The shop abroad sent her the wrong size, and she then tried to change it in the Irish shop. Some cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I saw a lady in a charity shop once trying to haggle from 3 euro down to 1 despite the fact there was a sign behind the counter kindly telling customers not to haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I saw a lady in a charity shop once trying to haggle from 3 euro down to 1 despite the fact there was a sign behind the counter kindly telling customers not to haggle.

I was dropping a bag of stuff into a charity shop in carlow town last week and their was a woman arguing with the assistant over an item for €1.. She wanted it for 50 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Before I get banned I've no stinge story yet.

But I do think we need more "Gotcha" stories against the Stingies. They are great and make me want to do a high five.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was dropping a bag of stuff into a charity shop in carlow town last week and their was a woman arguing with the assistant over an item for €1.. She wanted it for 50 cent

My daughter works in a local charity shop, haggling is a regular occurrence. Some of the stories are unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

rushfan wrote: »
    My daughter works in a local charity shop, haggling is a regular occurrence. Some of the stories are unreal.

Well? Dont be stingy with the examples

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

When my husband and I got married, his aunt, a notorious stinge with several houses, presented us with a massive glass crystal decanter. We were surprised at her generosity until we noticed later her name engraved on it as the winner of some recent golfing tournament....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

My boss used to wash those green plastic forks you see nowadays in the likes of centras, chopped etc and keep them and re use them!

Felt ridiculous!

Advertisement