Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

And another one my boss fell victim to. About 3 weeks before Christmas a young woman came into the shop we work in, not to be too judgemental but she didn't look like a drug addict or homeless person at all really. She looked upset, she came over to the side of the counter and kinda whispered to my boss that she'd lost her purse and had no money to get home about 45 minutes away from where we were. My boss being a kind person said hold on sure we will drop you home as we're finished in a half hour. She kept refusing the lift and wanted money promising she'd drop it back in the morning and that she worked in the hairdressers a few doors down.

After her sounding so genuine he handed her about 18 euro out of the till, with lots of thank you thank you from her.
    Never seen her again!

And there was no hairdressers on our street.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭fitzparker

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

sligojoek wrote: »
    Beat this.

Someone I know told me this about a friend of hers.
    Her friend Jane went out with a guy named Tim for two weeks. <Not real names>

They split up and later Jane found out she was pregnant. Between hoppin and trottin they now have a three year old daughter and they hate each others guts. Last week Tim had the daughter for a day and at some stage she wet herself. Tom bought a 3 pack of underwear in Dunnes for 4euro. When he brought the child home he put the receipt on the table and demanded 2 euro from her for the 2 unused knickers. He thought he was being gracious by paying 2 euro for the one the child was wearing.

Here's the good bit. He was stopped by the cops on the way home and the car was lifted for no tax.

Ha. Reminds me of the time my step sons dad brought him shoe shopping. When he was dropping him off, we had the following exchange:

Him: Kids shoes aren't cheap!
    Us: Yup.
    Him: Well sure we'll figure out how to split the cost of them later. 50/50 is probably fair.
    Us: ......

Sure enough, next months maintenance was minus half the cost of the shoes. Can't remember the actual cost but they were in the region of €60. Not cheap but not the worst. Thing is that it's the only time I think he ever bought him shoes and the kid goes through them about every 2-3 months. Never any mention of reimbursing us for all those other shoes I've shelled out for. To be honest though, I don't think it's stingy as much as clueless. He probably thinks the bit of maintenance he does pay every month covers half the cost of raising a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭enricoh

maryishere wrote: »
    A work colleague was telling me recently of her sister. In December she went in to an Irish shop, picked their brains and looked at different sizes of something, and then bought online from abroad. The shop abroad sent her the wrong size, and she then tried to change it in the Irish shop. Some cheek.

Mate of mines missus used to have a bridal dress shop. Regularly the brides to be would come in with a couple of mates and spend a couple of hours trying on dresses, glass of prosecco, getting measurements etc. They'd select the dress to die for, take loads of snaps and then ask for the list of measurements.
    So they could send the measurements to the Chinese website. After a few of these she said no. The nice as pie brides would go bananas, called every name under the sun! Id say if the future hubby's got sent the CCTV the wedding would be off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

From the negative person thread. It's the attitude.

Actually as it happens they're entirely unstingy and would never be found in this thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭kg703

Stinge abroad: When I lived in Australia, the guy we rented from (also lived in house about 7 of us all together) was given the house by his wealthy parents. Inner city marketing exec who had a different girl in every week despite being fierce ugly and a massive fan of the marching powder. He was insufferable and I used to refer to him as Satan as even to this day, I don't think I've ever met anyone like him. 100% had to be a proper psychopath. Anyway, he had no problem taking things from other people including his friends car, who had to go to work, picked up his keys and walked out cause he wanted to use it. In 40 degree heat, with no air con, took the only big fan in the house into his room bragging that it cost over 200 dollars. Used to take our food, despite leaving notes and asking everyone please do not eat our food. Would walk in and take food, even off our plates. When we got a package from home, ate some of the Irish food (I actually cried)

I had enough and I baked muffins one day and filled a couple of them with death sauce(this stuff was lethal) Left them in the kitchen and was sitting playing xbox, he walks in without a word, grabs a muffin and walks out, I watched him go down the corridor, stop dead in his tracks and spit the muffin on the floor and run back to the kitchen to grab milk spewing profanities. Before we left we got our own back a couple of other ways but they can't ever be repeated ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

kg703 wrote: »
    This is hugely common. While it's unfair to waste someone's time and drinking the prosecco etc. is awful scabby, getting a knock off dress can make sense when they looking for 2-3 grand a dress and the only way to know what one is to try them on.....(I bought off a high street shop so I'm scabby in a different way:pac:.)

Getting a knock off dress can make sense if you're willing to take the risk, wasting hours of a business' time and drinking complimentary booze is different entirely.

I've had to send measurements for suits away to friends in different cities before, I'd walk into a formal hire shop and say "I need to send measurements to a friend, could you size me up and let me know the measurements". There's never been an issue, if I do this in Suit Dept or Suit Stores they've often asked what fit is the suit and let me try on their versions.

If I walked into a custom tailor and got fitted while knocking back Peronis with the biys talking about my wedding then asked for the measurements I'd expect to be told to fock off and quickly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭joeguevara

My cousin had his 40th birthday 2 or 3 years agoI was invited and his family made a big deal about me coming. I bought him a United jersey and got giggs on the back as a present as he was his favorite player and it was his last season (that dates the birthday as it is hazy). I arrived and was told I had to order off a particular menu. Didn’t bother me but this lead me to believe that it was gratis. Would have preferred to order off the a la carte.

Anyway at the end of the meal I was told my portion of the bill. Absolutely no problem. But I noticed that no tip was being collected. So I paid by card but left 60 cash under my glass for the staff who were brilliant. I left but realized I left my cigarettes on the table. Went back inside only to see my other cousin swipe the cash and put in his pocket. Stingiest thing I ever saw. But I made sure it was put back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Stinge abroad: When I lived in Australia, the guy we rented from (also lived in house about 7 of us all together) was given the house by his wealthy parents. Inner city marketing exec who had a different girl in every week despite being fierce ugly and a massive fan of the marching powder. He was insufferable and I used to refer to him as Satan as even to this day, I don't think I've ever met anyone like him. 100% had to be a proper psychopath. Anyway, he had no problem taking things from other people including his friends car, who had to go to work, picked up his keys and walked out cause he wanted to use it. In 40 degree heat, with no air con, took the only big fan in the house into his room bragging that it cost over 200 dollars. Used to take our food, despite leaving notes and asking everyone please do not eat our food. Would walk in and take food, even off our plates. When we got a package from home, ate some of the Irish food (I actually cried)

I had enough and I baked muffins one day and filled a couple of them with death sauce(this stuff was lethal) Left them in the kitchen and was sitting playing xbox, he walks in without a word, grabs a muffin and walks out, I watched him go down the corridor, stop dead in his tracks and spit the muffin on the floor and run back to the kitchen to grab milk spewing profanities. Before we left we got our own back a couple of other ways but they can't ever be repeated ;)

Ah go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Before we left we got our own back a couple of other ways but they can't ever be repeated ;)
    happyday wrote: »
    Ah go on!

6a73411dc8f1d5dee575d144b5d0bb45b7bb0d0d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I am not sure if i posted this about my 'friend' but when he had had to go funeral he bought a black trousers in Dunnes, wore in and then brought it back for refund

Stolen from the YLYL8 thread.

G4cwNB0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I am not sure if i posted this about my 'friend' but when he had had to go funeral he bought a black trousers in Dunnes, wore in and then brought it back for refund

Was he from Cavan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

My boss used to wash those green plastic forks you see nowadays in the likes of centras, chopped etc and keep them and re use them!

Felt ridiculous!

I understand why it seems stingey, but the sad reality is that's what is wrong with the world...our throw away culture!
    sorry for getting off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

gucci wrote: »
    I understand why it seems stingey, but the sad reality is that's what is wrong with the world...our throw away culture!
    sorry for getting off topic

I do it as well, also wash and reuse coffee cups, the amount of waste is crazy these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Went for a walk with my neighbour yesterday. She told me she's bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding of one of her friends. The bride being in full Bridezilla mode.
    Anyway she told me yesterday that the brides future husband had an work accident a while ago and got an INSANE pile of cash.
    The wedding is taking place in a Hotel not far from the village where she picked the cheapest wedding package (not judging here) and she is being stingy on all corners. She wants the big princess wedding for literally no money.
    So while their package is cheap she found another way to get the money for the wedding. She has a huge bridal party with 5 bridesmaids and her hen that's in 2 weeks consists of 23 members. My neighbour is in charge of the hangover packs that will set her back a huge load of money.
    The bride booked make up appointments, tans and everything for them with only paying for the deposit and afterwards rang all bridesmaids with their appointment times and said how much they have to pay for it. When my neighbour confronted her she went on a huge tirade of how she can't spend money on all these things and that it's their job to pay for it.
    She basically speculates other peoples money, whoever wants a Tshirt for her hen gets one, because it's the girl's that's in charge for the shirts job to pay for it. Along those lines.

All in all the wedding will set every bridesmaid back for like 1500 Euro. All bridesmaids together will end up shelling more money out than the wedding itself will cost the bridal couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I'm not sure if many bridezillas are actually stingy or if they just go legitimately insane approaching the big day and just don't see the crazy carryon they're up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

benjamin d wrote: »
    I'm not sure if many bridezillas are actually stingy or if they just go legitimately insane approaching the big day and just don't see the crazy carryon they're up to.

I dunno. I think you have to actually already be a cnut to be a bridezilla.

LirW wrote: »
    Went for a walk with my neighbour yesterday. She told me she's bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding of one of her friends. The bride being in full Bridezilla mode.
    Anyway she told me yesterday that the brides future husband had an work accident a while ago and got an INSANE pile of cash.
    The wedding is taking place in a Hotel not far from the village where she picked the cheapest wedding package (not judging here) and she is being stingy on all corners. She wants the big princess wedding for literally no money.
    So while their package is cheap she found another way to get the money for the wedding. She has a huge bridal party with 5 bridesmaids and her hen that's in 2 weeks consists of 23 members. My neighbour is in charge of the hangover packs that will set her back a huge load of money.
    The bride booked make up appointments, tans and everything for them with only paying for the deposit and afterwards rang all bridesmaids with their appointment times and said how much they have to pay for it. When my neighbour confronted her she went on a huge tirade of how she can't spend money on all these things and that it's their job to pay for it.
    She basically speculates other peoples money, whoever wants a Tshirt for her hen gets one, because it's the girl's that's in charge for the shirts job to pay for it. Along those lines.

All in all the wedding will set every bridesmaid back for like 1500 Euro. All bridesmaids together will end up shelling more money out than the wedding itself will cost the bridal couple.

Easy solution to that. Just say that you're not going and leave it at that. If the bride to be breaks off a friendship because of that, then she was never a true friend anyway.

My ex-GF had something similar. Was asked to be a bridesmaid at a wedding in the Seychelles. All in would have cost €5,000 back in 2011 (or 2012). She declined.

Bride to be saw her point. They are still friends today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I dunno. I think you have to actually already be a cnut to be a bridezilla.

I’m not sure about that. There’s a lad in work who I don’t know that well who is getting married in May. Seems he got pissed drunk last week and spouted out that he wants to cancel the wedding, because the bride has turned into a mental case during the preparations in the lead up to the big day. Falling out with bridesmaids, crying at cake makers, hassling him about his weight etc. Can’t imagine he’d have proposed to her if she always demonstrated such characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Have to be honest I lost the will to live reading this.has she a gun to your heads that ye have to spend 1500 euro.if ye don’t want to go tell her to rev up and fcuk off with her wedding.you can also spend as much as you like.nobody else’s business.
    And as for hangover packs.what the sweet fcuk are they.in my day you either went for a cure drink or else suffer it out and get on with things.country is gone soft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Just spent an hour with a ould lad who was removing nails from roof knocked in storm Ophelia and straightening some for reuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

rushfan wrote: »
    My daughter works in a local charity shop, haggling is a regular occurrence. Some of the stories are unreal.
    My mother haggles all the time in charity shops. I don't think she's ever paid full price for anything in one of them.

Have to be honest I lost the will to live reading this.has she a gun to your heads that ye have to spend 1500 euro.if ye don’t want to go tell her to rev up and fcuk off with her wedding.you can also spend as much as you like.nobody else’s business.
    And as for hangover packs.what the sweet fcuk are they.in my day you either went for a cure drink or else suffer it out and get on with things.country is gone soft

I only briefly met the bride, she's a weird one alright. My neighbour though is a person that really can't say no and they have a close friendship and she'll get married at some point at the end of the year and has her as a bridesmaid. She really regrets that she said Yes but doesn't have the heart to back out.

I'd tell her to go f off alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

kmurph wrote: »
    My mother haggles all the time in charity shops. I don't think she's ever paid full price for anything in one of them.

Well they did get all their stock for nothing
    so... better the few euro they get for it than it sitting on the shelf unsold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I made hangover packs for a hen do last year. Pretty little baggies with painkillers, alka seltzer, Beroca, plasters, mints and hard boiled sweets, they were very well recieved :) Total cost was maybe €2 per pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

rawn wrote: »
    I made hangover packs for a hen do last year. Pretty little baggies with painkillers, alka seltzer, Beroca, plasters, mints and hard boiled sweets, they were very well recieved :) Total cost was maybe €2 per pack

6 cans of Dutch Gold guaranteed to kill any hangover after can 1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

jca wrote: »
    6 cans of Dutch Gold guaranteed to kill any hangover after can 1:D

If bridezilla can’t handle a wee hangover I’d love to see her after 5 nights awake with a sick new baby covered in vomit at 3 in the morning.her hangover will be just a distant memory.
    Hangover packs ffs the country is ruined.guaranteed it was a Celtic tiger cub who first invited this sh1te

The bride doesn't drink because she's breastfeeding at the moment.

Another small stinge story: My grandfather grew up in WW2 in a tiny mountain village where his mother abandoned him and he lived with another family. He had a tough upbringing and while he managed to earn himself a small fortune and did very well for himself, there were still a few things he did to save himself a bit.
    Like for example he lived off the cheap rotisserie chicken that you could buy out of these rotisserie trailers. It made him the happiest man.
    Also he would get really upset with us at Christmas when we as small children would just rip the presents open, because if we'd do it properly, we could re-use the paper. He'd then just sit on the couch and fold piles of used wrapping paper.

EDIT: One Christmas they bought for myself and my sister a doll house that we both badly wanted. Mind you, we were little girls back then and he was working in a manager position. After we unpacked it he pulled us both aside and sat us down and gave us a 10 minute lecture how long people on an average working class salary has to work to afford that and broke it down to us with all the numbers, I kid you not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've no problem with the stinges who reuse things normally not reused or do things like ensure lights are turned off, put on a jacket instead of turning on the heating, its a little weird but does no harm. Its the stinges who expect others to pay for their things really annoy me.

Advertisement