Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I worked with a woman and once at break i saw a penny on the floor -pre euro days. I picked it up and left it on the canteen table and she said " I'll toss you for it". I just gave it to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

LirW wrote: »
    . My neighbour is in charge of the hangover packs that will set her back a huge load of money.

What the fcuk is a hangover pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I worked with a woman and once at break i saw a penny on the floor -pre euro days. I picked it up and left it on the canteen table and she said " I'll toss you for it". I just gave it to her

A hand shandy in the canteen for 1p? Bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

rawn wrote: »

thanks . you learn something new everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

full-irish-breakfast-n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I asked the same thing.still none the wiser although I now associate it with a Celtic tigercub Reared and paid for by mama and papa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I asked the same thing.still none the wiser although I now associate it with a Celtic tigercub Reared and paid for by mama and papa

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Just spent an hour with a ould lad who was removing nails from roof knocked in storm Ophelia and straightening some for reuse

Is this not every ould fella ever?
    I have had the privilege of been a helping hand at manys a DIY job over the years at different houses and f*ck me the ****e that you would be trying to do a job with. Nails from the Jurassic period used about 30 times, rubbish screw drivers, saws that have less teeth than Shane McGowan, lack of certain basic tools.

Think its partially based on stinge, partially based on being wholeheartedly under prepared and reliant on someone else just sorting out their crap when it comes down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭piplip87

I was out for a meal with a group of friends over the Christmas. There was maybe 10 of us. The bill came to about 250 with wine. One of the lads had a E100 voucher he had won in the Christmas draw and fair play to him he threw it in. So we split rest evenally between us.

We said we would all throw 20 each and leave a tip. One of the girls a notorious stings took out her phone subtracted the price of wine, added up the rest because she had a cheaper starter and then counted out 13.50 in change to pay. When called out she said she does not tip, and she didn't drink wine. She has a good job, still lives at home, brand new car, so it was not down money worries.

We all went to the pub after it, because it was a big group we didn't do rounds, but everybody bought the fella who used the voucher a couple of drinks over the Christmas.... She didn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

piplip87 wrote: »
    I was out for a meal with a group of friends over the Christmas. There was maybe 10 of us. The bill came to about 250 with wine. One of the lads had a E100 voucher he had won in the Christmas draw and fair play to him he threw it in. So we split rest evenally between us.

We said we would all throw 20 each and leave a tip. One of the girls a notorious stings took out her phone subtracted the price of wine, added up the rest because she had a cheaper starter and then counted out 13.50 in change to pay. When called out she said she does not tip, and she didn't drink wine. She has a good job, still lives at home, brand new car, so it was not down money worries.

We all went to the pub after it, because it was a big group we didn't do rounds, but everybody bought the fella who used the voucher a couple of drinks over the Christmas.... She didn't

Not sure who the stinge is here! Why did you expect her to pay for your food and wine? Originally the bill was 250/10=25 each, one lad threw in a 100 to pay for your stuff so now it's 150/9=near enough 17 each. Her food only came to 13.50 but you seem to expect her to subsidize your food and wine because "She has a good job, still lives at home, brand new car".

"everybody bought the fella who used the voucher a couple of drinks over the Christmas.... She didn't" Why would she? She paid her full bill, unlike everyone else it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Not sure who the stinge is here! Why did you expect her to pay for your food and wine? Originally the bill was 250/10=25 each, one lad threw in a 100 to pay for your stuff so now it's 150/9=near enough 17 each. Her food only came to 13.50 but you seem to expect her to subsidize your food and wine because "She has a good job, still lives at home, brand new car".

"everybody bought the fella who used the voucher a couple of drinks over the Christmas.... She didn't" Why would she? She paid her full bill, unlike everyone else it seems!

The 20 was thrown in to cover food and tip. A very cheap night out once the voucher is taken into consideration (very kind gesture by that person btw)

Imagine how much of a pain eating out would be if everyone acted like said stinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Not sure who the stinge is here!

Does the 'S' in SuperS54 stand for "stinge"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Through work, I used to regularly eat out with colleagues.
    There is always the sort who wants to split the bill when they've had starter, main, wine and coffee.
    Hello?
    Why am I being asked to pay €22 for €10 meal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

As a non drinker I have been stung for more meals, once paid €50 for a starter and main course in a sub standard restaurant, I'd have gotten a Michelin star meal for that.

I don't think it's considerate or fair. Why should non drinkers not only have to listen to a load of drunk people but also pay for their wine?

Okay, the tipping bit is being a stinge but there must have been some drinking going on if after 100 euro discount it was still 20 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Good friend of mine back home is one of these cent-counters too. He's a great lad and superfunny but if you'd ever meet with him be prepared to pay for everything on your own (in fairness, it's pretty normal there to just pay for yourself).
    Anyway I went over and brought a huge bag of Cadbury chocolate with me because I know he likes it and can't get it there. We met up for a chat and we somehow decided to grab a small takeaway kebab, they are 3 euro in average.
    So he got it, we met up and I handed him the bag of chocolate but he also wanted to 3 Euro for the food.
    Not that I'm entitled to a free meal here but I'd never think about claiming 3 Euro back from someone I haven't seen in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think that all comes down to the situation: If I'm meeting up with a huge group of people and I'd be left to pay 50 Euro for something small that I had that wasn't even half of that, I'd definitely say that.
    But I'm meeting up with a large group and it all is pretty much equal and it only comes down to 5 Euro or so I really wouldn't care, was a fun night out after all. If people get stingy over a few bobs, that's such a mood killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

pilly wrote: »
    As a non drinker I have been stung for more meals, once paid €50 for a starter and main course in a sub standard restaurant, I'd have gotten a Michelin star meal for that.

I don't think it's considerate or fair. Why should non drinkers not only have to listen to a load of drunk people but also pay for their wine?

Okay, the tipping bit is being a stinge but there must have been some drinking going on if after 100 euro discount it was still 20 each.

100 split over 10 people is a tenner discount. That's two drinks max. Doesn't sound like anyone was taking advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Well they did get all their stock for nothing
    so... better the few euro they get for it than it sitting on the shelf unsold
    But every time you beat them down on a price you are taking money off of a charity. Also the staff work for free and they have overheads to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

piplip87 wrote: »
    One of the lads had a E100 voucher he had won in the Christmas draw and fair play to him he threw it in.

That's if he did 'throw it in '... poor fecker was probably waiting on his 75 quid back from your cash contributions and you shafted him!! It was a cheap night out anyway ...measly 25 quid a head and yet you all let him pay 100euro of the total bill? You were all as bad as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

pilly wrote: »

Why pay the €50???. Pay for what you got and say this. You are choosing to pay for their wine.
    If you pay for what you ordered they can't force you to pay for their wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Not sure if this counts.....

The step-dad organised a Christmas work party for his team in a Dublin City pub a few years ago.

They ordered more platters than they needed so gave the extra food to a group next to them.

30 minutes later, a manager approached the step-dad regarding a complaint about the food being too cold.

He said this was the first he heard of it as no one on his team said anything.

Turns out it was the ungrateful group next to them who complained!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Why pay the €50???. Pay for what you got and say this.

You'll be accused of being a stinge for not paying for their wine and meal then, going by this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Shouldn't this be in the bargain alert forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I got the impression that she didn't pay for her meal in full, that she just paid a "pro rata" amount based on the voucher being thrown in and her not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ohh, you are one of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Keep tapping that calculator you're doing a great job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Imagine a table of adults all rattling through change with their calculators out instead of rounding off to a note. My parents would be disgusted if they thought I was like that, getting in a tizzy over 3.50 at a social occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

jca wrote: »
    Keep tapping that calculator you're doing a great job there.
    Imagine a table of adults all rattling through change with their calculators out instead of rounding off to a note. My parents would be disgusted if they thought I was like that, getting in a tizzy over 3.50 at a social occasion

It's also possible that she had her fingers burnt in the past with the usual starters-steak for the main-dessert-and two bottles of wine crowd, who then decide that the bill should be split amongst those who ate or drank very little. Maybe she's somebody who just pays their way and doesn't want to feel that she "owes" somebody something.

Not paying a tip is stinge.

I would eat very little at an evening meal out. Just a main, don't drink wine, so might have a water or a beer. I've sat at the table and watch cnuts gorge themselves and then try to get the bill split.

THEY are the real stinges because they don't want to pay their full way, they look for a meal for half price. I don't stand for it.

And if some prat tries to take the cash and pay by card I'll make sure the tip is paid extra in cash. Had my fingers burnt this way loads of times when working in catering too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think its fair to say that we here think that a stinge is someone who
    takes advantage of someone else or
    doesn't want to pay their fair share
    or pay at all
    takes advantage of softer people that wont stand up for them selves
    etc
    etc

if you apply that to the splitting the bill situation then it has to be the person that is eating a lot more and not paying for all of it that has to the stinge.

saying that if 9 out of 10 are eating the same it gets greyer and harder to work out.
    but most people would be ok with a few euro here and there but not if your paying double what you got

Advertisement