Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

God this thread is getting boring...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

jca wrote: »
    God this thread is getting boring...

The mod's getting stingey with the threatened thread bans.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats wrong with a bit of chat. better than nothing

how about some imported stinge

When I studied abroad I always hung out with 3 other girls in our program. 3 of us were somewhat broke, so we all decided we would get together, combine our resources ($$$), and cook dinner most of the time. The one girl who actually had a lot of money never seemed to chip in for anything besides MAYBE a baguette here and there. One day we had a talk with her about how it was her turn to pay for everything since we had been paying for most of the semester. Well, she went to the store, came back, and bitched the whole day about how she had spent 12 Euro on the food/drinks...as if she had spent a fortune or something. Before we went back to our dorms we ran into another friend from the program and cheapskate friend invited her to dinner. After we cooked the food and ate, cheapskate friend sat down with a piece of paper, divided 12 by 5, and told the person she invited that they owed her 2 Euro and 40 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The mod's getting stingey with the threatened thread bans.

Well when it comes to warnings / bans etc I'll be first to hear about it.. guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Greybottle wrote: »
    It's also possible that she had her fingers burnt in the past with the usual starters-steak for the main-dessert-and two bottles of wine crowd, who then decide that the bill should be split amongst those who ate or drank very little. Maybe she's somebody who just pays their way and doesn't want to feel that she "owes" somebody something.

Not paying a tip is stinge.

I would eat very little at an evening meal out. Just a main, don't drink wine, so might have a water or a beer. I've sat at the table and watch cnuts gorge themselves and then try to get the bill split.

THEY are the real stinges because they don't want to pay their full way, they look for a meal for half price. I don't stand for it.

And if some prat tries to take the cash and pay by card I'll make sure the tip is paid extra in cash. Had my fingers burnt this way loads of times when working in catering too.

And, as seen in this thread, they are the ones to cry stinge! Based on the OP's account it looks like the only ones to pay full price for their meals are the voucher guy and the girl being called stinge. She paid for her meal in full and if you take into account her "share" of the voucher at 10 euro she also paid a substantial tip of nearly 100%.

The "let's split the bill evenly and don't be such a stinge with the calculator" crowd are always the ones who had starters, steaks, desserts and a fill of alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I had an online friendship with a girl many years ago, she lived in Vienna, we were chatting everyday by email and got on really well, so well in fact that I paid for her to fly to Ireland for the weekend, paid for her hotel room, took her out to Temple bar etc where she only drank one glass of cola for the night, on the Sunday we went driving to Glendalough etc. On the way back I stopped for petrol, at this stage i had paid for absolutely everything, she went into the petrol station shop and came out with ONE bottle of cola and a chocolate bar for herself.
    I was so bloody livid that i drove her straight to Dublin airport and dropped her there about 6 hours before her flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

smurfjed wrote: »
    I had an online friendship with a girl many years ago, she lived in Vienna, we were chatting everyday by email and got on really well, so well in fact that I paid for her to fly to Ireland for the weekend, paid for her hotel room, took her out to Temple bar etc where she only drank one glass of cola for the night, on the Sunday we went driving to Glendalough etc. On the way back I stopped for petrol, at this stage i had paid for absolutely everything, she went into the petrol station shop and came out with ONE bottle of cola and a chocolate bar for herself.
    I was so bloody livid that i drove her straight to Dublin airport and dropped her there about 6 hours before her flight.

Her stinge is the least shocking bit of that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

smurfjed wrote: »

Didn't get the ride I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Didn't get the ride I take it?

Got a ride in the car to wicklow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: More Stinge - less whinge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Imagine a table of adults all rattling through change with their calculators out instead of rounding off to a note. My parents would be disgusted if they thought I was like that, getting in a tizzy over 3.50 at a social occasion
    Its pretty normal in Ireland to think like this. But I have lived with many germans and spanish in the past and whats normal for them they dont get into drink rounds and they each seem to pay for their own meals by doing a quick calculation. This way all conflict is avoided, and it all seems to be so normal to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

James 007 wrote: »
    Its pretty normal in Ireland to think like this. But I have lived with many germans and spanish in the past and whats normal for them they dont get into drink rounds and they each seem to pay for their own meals by doing a quick calculation. This way all conflict is avoided, and it all seems to be so normal to them.

The restaurant business in Germany is geared towards that, though. If you ask for the bill, the waiter/waitress will first ask "Together or separate?". If you decide separate, each individual at the table will be brought their own bill.
    Makes it a lot easier to not just split the bill. In Ireland where you'd really need to break out the calculator in order to split it correctly, it's really just easier to split it evenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shenshen wrote: »
    The restaurant business in Germany is geared towards that, though. If you ask for the bill, the waiter/waitress will first ask "Together or separate?". If you decide separate, each individual at the table will be brought their own bill.
    Makes it a lot easier to not just split the bill. In Ireland where you'd really need to break out the calculator in order to split it correctly, it's really just easier to split it evenly.
    If you ask the staff in a lot of restaurants in ireland to split the bill you might as well have asked them to split an atom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

piplip87 wrote: »
    I was out for a meal with a group of friends over the Christmas. There was maybe 10 of us. The bill came to about 250 with wine. One of the lads had a E100 voucher he had won in the Christmas draw and fair play to him he threw it in. So we split rest evenally between us.

We said we would all throw 20 each and leave a tip. One of the girls a notorious stings took out her phone subtracted the price of wine, added up the rest because she had a cheaper starter and then counted out 13.50 in change to pay. When called out she said she does not tip, and she didn't drink wine. She has a good job, still lives at home, brand new car, so it was not down money worries.

We all went to the pub after it, because it was a big group we didn't do rounds, but everybody bought the fella who used the voucher a couple of drinks over the Christmas.... She didn't

Where is gods name did ye get a starter and a main course in a restaurant for €13.50????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you ask the staff in a lot of restaurants in ireland to split the bill you might as well have asked them to split an atom.

Have actually seen signs in restaurants saying they don't split bills individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Shenshen wrote: »

I often go out for meals in big groups and we find it easiest to go to restaurant offering a particular meal deal, ie 4 courses for €30. And if anyone wants drinks they order them separately at the bar. That way when the bill comes it's a flat rate for everyone and the people who just drank table water aren't subsidising the cocktail drinkers.

It's really straightforward and necessary as one of the first times I went out with one of those groups there were people there who literally picked the cheapest starter and main, had no dessert and drank water all night and also people who had the most expensive starter and steak mains with wine and finished with dessert and a liqueur. Then we split the bill equally and the people who really did appear to have been on a tight budget ended up paying for those who were really treating themselves. It just seemed so unfair. So for the following dinner the set menu and sort out your drinks privately plan was put in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

iguana wrote: »
    I often go out for meals in big groups and we find it easiest to go to restaurant offering a particular meal deal, ie 4 courses for €30. And if anyone wants drinks they order them separately at the bar. That way when the bill comes it's a flat rate for everyone and the people who just drank table water aren't subsidising the cocktail drinkers.

It's really straightforward and necessary as one of the first times I went out with one of those groups there were people there who literally picked the cheapest starter and main, had no dessert and drank water all night and also people who had the most expensive starter and steak mains with wine and finished with dessert and a liqueur. Then we split the bill equally and the people who really did appear to have been on a tight budget ended up paying for those who were really treating themselves. It just seemed so unfair. So for the following dinner the set menu and sort out your drinks privately plan was put in place.

Did any of them consider, ye know... opening their f*cking mouths?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Did any of them consider, ye know... opening their f*cking mouths?? :confused:

No, 'cos the well-practiced stinge depend heavily on the kindness of a non stinge, knowing full well they're too polite and do not want to come across as mean in a group, so pay up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

I went out with my friends I didn’t drink, I still split the bill. If you can’t afford it don’t go. Life’s too short for bill checkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There's a big difference between ending up paying twice the price of what you ordered on the one hand, and refusing to "subsidise" your friends a whole big old whopping €6.50 on a night out on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I went out with my friends I didn’t drink, I still split the bill. If you can’t afford it don’t go. Life’s too short for bill checkers

I go out regularly with friends . They drink wine and I drink water . We subract the wine then divide by four . They then divide the wine bill by three . It could add an extra €15 - €20 to a bill each , why would I pay €15 for their wine ! Nor would any of them even let me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There's a big difference between ending up paying twice the price of what you ordered on the one hand, and refusing to "subsidise" your friends a whole big old whopping €6.50 on a night out on the other.

Exactly. I'll happily pay a few extra quid to maintain an amicable relationship with friends, is it so strange that the social aspect of life isn't always free?

If I am paying double the price of my meal then I will say no, but a few extra quid if the bill was split equally? Put the ****ing calculator away and just pay the damn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

more copy and paste

A friend of mine used to have a gardening business and always said that teachers were the most stingy people he'd ever met. They just did not like paying. One owed him £50 and it took months to get the money, eventually the customer handed my friend an envelope with his "£50". My friend opned it to find it was £50's worth of money off vouchers this person had cut out of newspapers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Shenshen wrote:
    The restaurant business in Germany is geared towards that, though. If you ask for the bill, the waiter/waitress will first ask "Together or separate?". If you decide separate, each individual at the table will be brought their own bill. Makes it a lot easier to not just split the bill. In Ireland where you'd really need to break out the calculator in order to split it correctly, it's really just easier to split it evenly.

Same in Canada, they have no problem with everyone paying seperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Will someone PM me when the bill discussion is over?

*unsubscribes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-The bill discussion is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

more copy and paste

A friend of mine used to have a gardening business and always said that teachers were the most stingy people he'd ever met. They just did not like paying. One owed him £50 and it took months to get the money, eventually the customer handed my friend an envelope with his "£50". My friend opned it to find it was £50's worth of money off vouchers this person had cut out of newspapers!

That verges on the "not right in the head" approach to debt management.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

An ex bought me a new phone for Christmas one year. We broke up shortly afterwards but in the meantime the phone had broken and I had to get a new one. So I decided to use my upgrade entitlement to get another phone and when I went into the phone shop they told me that my upgrade had been used before Christmas! Turns out ex-boyfriend had ‘bought’ me my new phone using my upgrade without even consulting me!!!! Don’t know how he was allowed to even do it in the first place but he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Reminds me when we used to do secret santa among my siblings and inlaws€80 minimum..

I had got my myself a new phone around November and it came with one of those free nokia bluetooth headsets.

Come xmas day - I noticed my brothers wife had got him a new phone (she is proper stinge and the only in law who did partake) and when it comes to gift swap I got a nokia blue tooth headset from him (exactly the same as the one I got)

I asked him how much did that cost? He said his wife picked it up for him.
    I said oh I got a free one with my phone too. Cue awkward silence and eye 'throwing'..

I said to him just take it back and get me a voucher for a sports shop - which I got in February for the value of €50..

That ended secret santa in our house..

Same sister in law was asked by my mother to pick up some thyme or some kind of herb when passing by tesco when coming back to a dinner cooked by mam.

Sister in law brings the herb and mam says how much I owe you? 80 cent says SIL and when mam handed it to her she gladly took - then sat at the table and stuffed her fat head with the free steak dinner..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

An ex bought me a new phone for Christmas one year. We broke up shortly afterwards but in the meantime the phone had broken and I had to get a new one. So I decided to use my upgrade entitlement to get another phone and when I went into the phone shop they told me that my upgrade had been used before Christmas! Turns out ex-boyfriend had ‘bought’ me my new phone using my upgrade without even consulting me!!!! Don’t know how he was allowed to even do it in the first place but he did!

Sounds like fraud or theft. Tell the phone company that you don't know why they gave some randomer off the street a phone under your name and get the upgrade you paid for.

Advertisement