Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Sounds like fraud or theft. Tell the phone company that you don't know why they gave some randomer off the street a phone under your name and get the upgrade you paid for.

This happened a good few years ago. I was young and naive but if it happened me nowadays you can bet your bottom dollar i’d fight it tooth and nail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

An ex bought me a new phone for Christmas one year. We broke up shortly afterwards but in the meantime the phone had broken and I had to get a new one. So I decided to use my upgrade entitlement to get another phone and when I went into the phone shop they told me that my upgrade had been used before Christmas! Turns out ex-boyfriend had ‘bought’ me my new phone using my upgrade without even consulting me!!!! Don’t know how he was allowed to even do it in the first place but he did!

I did that before for the Wifes xmas present, in the Meteor shop when I said it was a gift they asked for the number said it was due an upgrade.

Got €20 off a €600 phone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Was at a new years party a couple of years ago. BYO so we all brought a few drinks and enjoyed a good night. Several hours after midnight a taxi arrives to bring one of my friends home. She starts to look for her bag but cant find it. We all search while the taxi sits outside the gate for about 10 mins. Eventually she finds the bag and surprisingly it is not some expensive handbag but the 25c plastic bag that she brought her wine in and wanted for her shopping the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

She made a commitment when she got a bag for life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Her stinge is the least shocking bit of that post

I could afford it, so what’s the issue ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Panthro wrote: »
    She made a commitment when she got a bag for life!

A 23-year-old man from Southend has been describing his anger to Southend News Network after he said he was ‘conned’ by Tesco’s new dating service and ended up with someone who he has described as a ‘bag for life.’

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

I heard from a not-very-close friend out of the blue that I hadn't seen for over a year, asking if she could crash at mine for a night. No problem, great chance for us to catch up after so long. Then it was could she stay for the weekend. Then the whole week. Then actually could she stay the month! I said a week was ok (altho it was already a bit awkward, being a houseshare) and even then she kept pushing and pushing to stay longer, making me feel like I was being rude by refusing! I stood my ground though, and then had a nice long week of her using my food, asking me to buy her food, leaving her things strewn around until I asked her not to (shared house!!) and barging into my room every morning before I was even awake to "borrow" some of my stuff, which she used up completely and then did not replace. On the day she was finally leaving I was utterly fed up and asked would she mind throwing me a few quid to chip in for internet, power etc while she was here, since she hadn't even thought to offer a bottle of wine or something for the house to say thanks for her sudden and extended visit. Sure, of course she says, no problem. Then packs up her stuff and is out the door without a penny offered....and without so much as a follow up text afterwards! I actually couldn't believe it, just goes to show you really don't know someone until you (are forced to) live with them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

yogi37 wrote: »
    Was at a new years party a couple of years ago. BYO so we all brought a few drinks and enjoyed a good night. Several hours after midnight a taxi arrives to bring one of my friends home. She starts to look for her bag but cant find it. We all search while the taxi sits outside the gate for about 10 mins. Eventually she finds the bag and surprisingly it is not some expensive handbag but the 25c plastic bag that she brought her wine in and wanted for her shopping the next day.

I hope she brought the wine home with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

smurfjed wrote: »
    I could afford it, so what’s the issue ?

you never told us if you got the ride or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not sure this is stinge, really, but the "bag for life" story reminded me...

My husband does take "bag for live" seriously. He always has a stash of bags in the boot of his car, and when going shopping, one or two get taken out and brought into the shop to carry the shopping back out (has to be the ones with the logo of the shop you're going into, but that's a different story).

Now, many years ago I remember coming home from work one evening and noticing the washing machine was on. I had done a wash the night before so was somewhat puzzled and asked my husband what was in there.
    He explained to me with the brightest of smiles on his face that he had a mishap in the car. A bottle of motor oil had opened and spilled all over his bags. So, being a very smart person, instead of binning his bags, he thought what could be done about this, and decided sure, he could simply wash them. As it would save him having to buy new ones.
    My face must have been a picture already when I asked him what temperature he used. 90, of course, he says, has to be a high temperature to wash the oil out.
    I calmly told him to please switch the washing machine off RIGHT NOW, before it melts the plastic and ruins the machine. And then asked him to try and work out how much the bags had cost vs how much it would cost in electricity running a washing machine at 90 degrees for an hour+, and was he still sure he was saving money?

He got a big lump of soft white plastic out of the machine, had to buy new bags and to this days absolutely hates the fact that I occasionally tell this story :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

yogi37 wrote: »

I don't see one thing wrong with this. Waste not want not. It's our throwaway attitude to everything that has world so polluted.

I would have done the same thing as her but not from a stingy point of view but from a I already have a bag so why do I need to buy another to add to landfill point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

@Shenshen
    You should change your username to Mrs Meldrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is stinge, really, but the "bag for life" story reminded me...

My husband does take "bag for live" seriously. He always has a stash of bags in the boot of his car, and when going shopping, one or two get taken out and brought into the shop to carry the shopping back out (has to be the ones with the logo of the shop you're going into, but that's a different story).

Now, many years ago I remember coming home from work one evening and noticing the washing machine was on. I had done a wash the night before so was somewhat puzzled and asked my husband what was in there.
    He explained to me with the brightest of smiles on his face that he had a mishap in the car. A bottle of motor oil had opened and spilled all over his bags. So, being a very smart person, instead of binning his bags, he thought what could be done about this, and decided sure, he could simply wash them. As it would save him having to buy new ones.
    My face must have been a picture already when I asked him what temperature he used. 90, of course, he says, has to be a high temperature to wash the oil out.
    I calmly told him to please switch the washing machine off RIGHT NOW, before it melts the plastic and ruins the machine. And then asked him to try and work out how much the bags had cost vs how much it would cost in electricity running a washing machine at 90 degrees for an hour+, and was he still sure he was saving money?

He got a big lump of soft white plastic out of the machine, had to buy new bags and to this days absolutely hates the fact that I occasionally tell this story :D

He needs some Hessian shopping bags.

I'm proud of your husband though, that's dedication :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it happens again, some warm (not scalding) water and washing soda will do the trick. Not sure about the pouring of motor oil down the drains, though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I don't see one thing wrong with this. Waste not want not. It's our throwaway attitude to everything that has world so polluted.

I would have done the same thing as her but not from a stingy point of view but from a I already have a bag so why do I need to buy another to add to landfill point of view.

If the taxi meter was running, it was hardly worth it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

you never told us if you got the ride or not.

Not even close !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

more copy and paste

A friend of mine used to have a gardening business and always said that teachers were the most stingy people he'd ever met. They just did not like paying. One owed him £50 and it took months to get the money, eventually the customer handed my friend an envelope with his "£50". My friend opned it to find it was £50's worth of money off vouchers this person had cut out of newspapers!

My dad is a tradesman and says exactly the same. Teachers in general are the worst for paying and will drag it out for as long as possible. Some of these bills will be hundreds or thousands. Just completely oblivious to the pressures self-employed people are subject to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Shenshen wrote: »
    I A bottle of motor oil had opened and spilled all over his bags. So, being a very smart person, instead of binning his bags, he thought what could be done about this, and decided sure, he could simply wash them. As it would save him having to buy new ones.

Any fule kno you wash plastic bags at 50 or less.
    I've also got a stash of bags-for-life I accumulated more than a decade ago. Not because I was stingy, but that I never remembered to take any out with me so always ended up buying more instead of paying the rip-off tax for the useless thin ones. That's fine, because for the past decade I've not bought another one, and when one gets milk spilled in it, it gets washed out.
    Much to my dismay, they eventually wear out, and I reckon I've only got enough to last another fifteen years or so.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My dad is a tradesman and says exactly the same. Teachers in general are the worst for paying and will drag it out for as long as possible. Some of these bills will be hundreds or thousands. Just completely oblivious to the pressures self-employed people are subject to.

That's for sure. Years ago a community were running one of those illegal relays for the UK channels. Between all the houses that were in the catchment area they decided on £20 per year towards costs was fair, small bit of juice, maintain the little hut etc. Two teachers in the area never paid the money, stings bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

So a friend of my mams from work has a very sick child and she said she was struggling to get by. My aunt who lives up the country has a young lad who grows like a weed so they're always throwing out clothes. They're fairly well off so it would be high end, good quality stuff.

Anyway last week mam rang her to see if she had anything she could give. Turns out she had loads. Just by coincidence my other aunt was visiting at the time and said she'd bring them with her on the way home. Great.

So we finally get the stuff and we discover it's almost entirely cheap tat destined for the bin. After a few calls we soon got to the bottom of it. Turns out my other aunt had raided the clothes for her own son and replaced them with all her own rubbish. The clothes she knew were going to a sick child.

There's mean and there's mean.

Edit: Funnily enough she's also a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭piplip87

That's if he did 'throw it in '... poor fecker was probably waiting on his 75 quid back from your cash contributions and you shafted him!! It was a cheap night out anyway ...measly 25 quid a head and yet you all let him pay 100euro of the total bill? You were all as bad as each other.

No every one of us except the stinge, offered to give him cash and bought him plenty of drink after the meal to say thanks. So he did very well out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ineedaname wrote: »
    So a friend of my mams from work has a very sick child and she said she was struggling to get by. My aunt who lives up the country has a young lad who grows like a weed so they're always throwing out clothes. They're fairly well off so it would be high end, good quality stuff.

Anyway last week mam rang her to see if she had anything she could give. Turns out she had loads. Just by coincidence my other aunt was visiting at the time and said she'd bring them with her on the way home. Great.

So we finally get the stuff and we discover it's almost entirely cheap tat destined for the bin. After a few calls we soon got to the bottom of it. Turns out my other aunt had raided the clothes for her own son and replaced them with all her own rubbish. The clothes she knew were going to a sick child.

Please tell us your mam told the aunt that she knows what she has done and got it back from her ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Please tell us your mam told the aunt that she knows what she has done and got it back from her ?

There were words yes. Still waiting for the stuff back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Ineedaname wrote: »

What a bitch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jpmmJmQ.png

Turns out you can't book a table in McDonalds :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The miserable cow with her bag for life reminded me of a story from a mate of mine's 30th, which he had in his parents' house (BYOB).

Actually this is probably closer to outright theft than stinge :D

I only knew a few people at the party and when I arrived I got chatting to a jolly, fat chap who seemed like a laugh - and he was... he told me he could only stay an hour or two as he was off to another party and had explained as much to the birthday boy etc.

Anyway, about an hour later, I'm chatting with my pal (birthday boy) when, spotting someone out the window, he says "well would ye look at this pr*ck..."

There was jolly, fay guy, who had arrived at the party with one arm as long as the other, skulled his share of beers for the hour and a half he was there, then had the temerity to nick a four-pack of cans and slink out the door to his other get-together with the beers tucked safely under his arm.

My mate, literally the most laidback man in Ireland, was not best pleased...

A man and his wife were out drinking with a big group of friends.

"Come on love," He said, to his wife. "Let's get up and dance."

"You never dance!" she said.

"I do when its my round."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stingy is the absolutely worst trait in anyone. I have no examples yet but I fkn hate the fekkers who try it on.

Either we are too terrified to confront them or we just carry on and post in places like here.

Either way it is despicable. IMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Stingy is the absolutely worst trait in anyone. I have no examples yet but I fkn hate the fekkers who try it on.

Either we are too terrified to confront them or we just carry on and post in places like here.

Either way it is despicable. IMV.

You're being stingy with an anecdote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The wife is frugal, bordering on stinge.
    I had asked her about Valentine's day, and where she wants to go (she's not one for surprises). She had already scoured groupon for restaurant deals that did not have feb 14th locked off, found one in a local (and decent) restaurant. She then waited for a few days knowing that groupon usually have push notifications with promo codes, lo and behold she got a 15% one and booked the place. So my 2-course valentines dinner will be around 21€, minus tip amd additional drinks.

Result!???

Advertisement