Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

retalivity wrote: »
    The wife is frugal, bordering on stinge.
    I had asked her about Valentine's day, and where she wants to go (she's not one for surprises). She had already scoured groupon for restaurant deals that did not have feb 14th locked off, found one in a local (and decent) restaurant. She then waited for a few days knowing that groupon usually have push notifications with promo codes, lo and behold she got a 15% one and booked the place. So my 2-course valentines dinner will be around 21€, minus tip amd additional drinks.

Result!???

Give me her number, sounds like my husband's dream woman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

. So my 2-course valentines dinner will be around 21€, minus tip amd additional drinks.
    Result!???

Are you going dutch? Or to McDonalds!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I had asked her about Valentine's day, and where she wants to go (she's not one for surprises). She had already scoured groupon for restaurant deals that did not have feb 14th locked off, found one in a local (and decent) restaurant. She then waited for a few days knowing that groupon usually have push notifications with promo codes, lo and behold she got a 15% one and booked the place. So my 2-course valentines dinner will be around 21€, minus tip amd additional drinks.

Result!???

Take the girlfriend out instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭4Ad

A lad I know has the meanest father, he's well known in the village. He used to take his father in law for a drink, when it was his round he would have a glass of Guinness, but when the father in law was paying he'd have a pint, the father in law was drinking a glass and always bought the first drink and they left after three, so no 2nd round to be bought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I could be all wrong now so correct me if I am . I always think of frugal as being careful with your own money and stingy is being careful with your money at the expense of another .Frugal I get , stingy I hate .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I did like Myles Na gCopaleen's comment about spongers "I say old man, you are living beyond my means"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

NSFW due to injuries.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MedicalGore/comments/7tltft/update_severe_frostbite_is_serious_business_more/

Guy decides to sleep in his car rather than get a hotel room in sub zero temps after he walked through the snow and got his socks wet. Battery drained, heating went off and he got frostbite.

He’s now had both legs amputated below the knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

razorblunt wrote: »
    NSFW due to injuries.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MedicalGore/comments/7tltft/update_severe_frostbite_is_serious_business_more/

Guy decides to sleep in his car rather than get a hotel room in sub zero temps after he walked through the snow and got his socks wet. Battery drained, heating went off and he got frostbite.

He’s now had both legs amputated below the knees.

That's just pure stupid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

A jewish guy owed a snooker hall when he died he left his son 2 snookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Result!???

I'm in favour of any 'workaround' that involves avoiding the over-inflated sucker prices that accompany made-up holidays... fair play to your missus... she got a sister??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm in favour of any 'workaround' that involves avoiding the over-inflated sucker prices that accompany made-up holidays... fair play to your missus... she got a sister??
    She's probably a twin, and yer man's been paying for both of them for years without knowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

4Ad wrote: »
    A lad I know has the meanest father, he's well known in the village. He used to take his father in law for a drink, when it was his round he would have a glass of Guinness, but when the father in law was paying he'd have a pint, the father in law was drinking a glass and always bought the first drink and they left after three, so no 2nd round to be bought..

That is scandalous carry on. I worked with a dude who got a reputation about being tight. Was on a night out with the job and arrived into the pub with stingy guy and one other bloke, I ordered 3 pints. Stingy guy drinks his pint at a hectic pace and stands there for a few mins with empty glass in his hand until our other mate orders three pints. Again stingy guy necks his pint at break neck speed and stands there with empty glass in his hand. Another guy arrives over from the office and says "anyone for a pint". Stingy guy goes "yep, me please" and exits our round. Me & other guy who had bought the 2 rounds just look at each other and burst out laughing at the sheer brazen stinginess. Made sure to stay well away from stingy guy in the pub from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭fitzparker

A guy in my brothers job bought his friend a creme egg last week, low and behold it was a white one and he won €1000... the hungry fecker didn't even buy him an egg in return, let alone throw him a €10er

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

fitzparker wrote: »
    A guy in my brothers job bought his friend a creme egg last week, low and behold it was a white one and he won €1000... the hungry fecker didn't even buy him an egg in return, let alone throw him a €10er

At college we had a Who Wants to be a Millionaire style quiz one evening organised by the SU. The money was quite substantial especially for students. One girl had no clue for a question and asked a friend of mine in the audience for the 'Phone a friend' question. He gave her the right answer and won a few hundred quid then too. My friend barely got a thanks at the end and not a dime thrown his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,489 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fitzparker wrote: »

he should have looked at the ingredients before he handed it over. the ingredients list for the white ones are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It's the little things that get me, I can almost understand meanness when it comes to bigger sums. I used to share a flat with a guy who wouldn't spend Christmas, which was his business , but I began to notice little things like he always let me buy the first round, then he would drink slowly and nearly always we would finish on an odd round with me standing around hands swinging after closing time waiting for him to finish.

I simmered over this for a while and finally one night I drained my Guinness at 11.25 and said: "Go on, I'll have another, we might as well finish out the round". He looked at me in borderline shock and said he didn't want another drink and didn't really want the last drink I had bought either (about 20 minutes earlier) and said "here take this" and handed me his pint of......... Smithwicks :eek::eek:!!

Whats worse, I took it. It finished me with the guy though, after we had shared years of hardship and craic together (we were both accountancy students), I moved out about three months later for the sake of my mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Deise Vu wrote: »
    It's the little things that get me, I can almost understand meanness when it comes to bigger sums. I used to share a flat with a guy who wouldn't spend Christmas, which was his business , but I began to notice little things like he always let me buy the first round, then he would drink slowly and nearly always we would finish on an odd round with me standing around hands swinging after closing time waiting for him to finish.

I simmered over this for a while and finally one night I drained my Guinness at 11.25 and said: "Go on, I'll have another, we might as well finish out the round". He looked at me in borderline shock and said he didn't want another drink and didn't really want the last drink I had bought either (about 20 minutes earlier) and said "here take this" and handed me his pint of......... Smithwicks :eek::eek:!!

Whats worse, I took it. It finished me with the guy though, after we had shared years of hardship and craic together (we were both accountancy students), I moved out about three months later for the sake of my mental health.

God that's awful. You should have downed the smithwicks and bought yourself another pint. He'd probably get the thirst for that last pint again once you were buying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Someone I would meet in Dunnes Stores would be looking at steak and able to tell me that it cost a penny less in Tesco an d the price of it in other laces. i met him once in Tesco where he was looking at a swiss roll reduced in price and he picked up salivating and saying he loved this particular cake. Then he said it would just give him heartburn and put it back

Sad lives these guys live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Someone I would meet in Dunnes Stores would be looking at steak and able to tell me that it cost a penny less in Tesco an d the price of it in other laces. i met him once in Tesco where he was looking at a swiss roll reduced in price and he picked up salivating and saying he loved this particular cake. Then he said it would just give him heartburn and put it back

Sad lives these guys live

Just thinking could it be that this person has or had it really tight with money?

Up until a few years ago I had it really tight with money raising a kid on my own and I know this situations all too well. You find yourself deciding buying that reduced cake or a big bag of pasta and some passata.
    Also was raised by a single mom having nothing.

This behavior sticks with you and haunts you for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2018/01/30/man-head-butted-friend-after-told-it-was-his-round/

Well that’s an expensive way of dealing with a stinge 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

hobie21 wrote: »

slave labour goes beyond stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Not sure if this is exactly stingy or not but my cousin told me that when he was a young lad he and his pals used to go to the swimming pool a lot in the summer holidays. It had one of those footbath things with antiseptic that you had to walk through when you left the changing room to go into the pool. The water in it was freezing cold and everyone hated walking through it.
    anyway one of his friends, and his nickname was Fatty so he was a big lad had the bright idea of lying face down in the footbath and letting the lads walk over his back to avoid the water, like a human bridge.
    His toll for the aforementioned service was 20p per person which usually was spent on a post swim sweet fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

^^

That's not stingy... that's actually kind of sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

Not sure if this is exactly stingy or not ... footbath things with antiseptic that you had to walk through when you left the changing room to go into the pool. The water in it was freezing cold and everyone hated walking through it. ...Fatty so he was a big lad had the bright idea of lying face down in the footbath and letting the lads walk over his back to avoid the water, like a human bridge.His toll for the aforementioned service was 20p per person which usually was spent on a post swim sweet fest.

Not stingy; Fatty was an entrepreneur and the friends were potential verruca victims.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

As was Fatty's back. :eek:

Not sure if this is exactly stingy or not but my cousin told me that when he was a young lad he and his pals used to go to the swimming pool a lot in the summer holidays. It had one of those footbath things with antiseptic that you had to walk through when you left the changing room to go into the pool. The water in it was freezing cold and everyone hated walking through it.
    anyway one of his friends, and his nickname was Fatty so he was a big lad had the bright idea of lying face down in the footbath and letting the lads walk over his back to avoid the water, like a human bridge.
    His toll for the aforementioned service was 20p per person which usually was spent on a post swim sweet fest.

some people pay others to walk on them. Not me though, no sirree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

This is brilliant. Go Fatty! ��
    New Home wrote: »
    As was Fatty's back. :eek:

It’s okay, I think the microbial climate of the back prevents verrucas. Maybe warts though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Just thinking could it be that this person has or had it really tight with money?

Up until a few years ago I had it really tight with money raising a kid on my own and I know this situations all too well. You find yourself deciding buying that reduced cake or a big bag of pasta and some passata.
    Also was raised by a single mom having nothing.
    you could say that for any of the mean with money people discussed here. Any of the people who don't want to buy their round/ eat others food etc could all have been poor

The person in the cake episode is not rich but has as much as me and i would not do that. i often buy cake at full cost. The person i refrerred to before also has as much as me, more as he does not own a car being on his own admission "too tight" to do so. The people i know are just sad miserable penny pinchers one of whom I dropped as a friend when i saw his game of watching what i buy so he could borrow it

Advertisement