Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Cos he said so!

As long as there’s gullible fools, there’ll be minge bags like that to take advantage of you. A hungry fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

As long as there’s gullible fools, there’ll be minge bags like that to take advantage of you. A hungry fcuk.

In my student years I used my thumb plenty of times to get to and from college to save money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This evening reminded me again why you should never order takeaway with a group of friends, I was short of pulling out the accounting books to breakdown to everyone what they each owed. Was even asked if I could split the change in the chipper to ensure they got their 20c back.

Stingy c*nts, who cares if you're a few cents out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I leave my bins out by the side of the road full-time.
    You use public space for storing your private property? Ultimate stinge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You use public space for storing your private property? Ultimate stinge...

Hardly a stinge if I own the part of the road in question.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hardly a stinge if I own the part of the road in question.

You own the road? You must be very rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

He's upfront from the get go.
    When I was a student I might be down to my last 20quid and hoping to get home for the weekend.
    Same as a Joe at the side of the road with his thumb out, you know you're picking up pro bono.

What would be stingy is if someone you DID know asked for a lift and never offered to chip in or mentioned they were stuck for cash at the moment.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You own the road? You must be very rich.

Many, if not most, houses that border country roads own the road out to the centre line. This is a pure technicality, as the Council takes it over for the common good. I'm not a lawyer, so there's likely a more involved legal explanation about the circumstances and the law relating to it.
    If I decided to take full ownership of my part of the road, I'd be liable for its upkeep and damages should anyone trip in a pothole, for example. In that regard, the Council are welcome to it, and I regard it as an equitable trade-off. I get to travel on mostly decent tarmac to the shops in return, while traversing hundreds of other people's roads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭amber69

Many, if not most, houses that border country roads own the road out to the centre line. This is a pure technicality, as the Council takes it over for the common good. I'm not a lawyer, so there's likely a more involved legal explanation about the circumstances and the law relating to it.
    If I decided to take full ownership of my part of the road, I'd be liable for its upkeep and damages should anyone trip in a pothole, for example. In that regard, the Council are welcome to it, and I regard it as an equitable trade-off. I get to travel on mostly decent tarmac to the shops in return, while traversing hundreds of other people's roads. :)

Other way around AFAIK. Council own about 6ft from the road into your property.

amber69 wrote: »

Not in my case, they don't.
    I checked the deeds, and it's exactly as I said.

What you likely mean is that the Council take over enough land to enable the road, and that would likely include a strip adjacent to the actual tarmac surface.

"Take over" is the operative term - they don't actually own it, I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not in my case, they don't.
    I checked the deeds, and it's exactly as I said.

What you likely mean is that the Council take over enough land to enable the road, and that would likely include a strip adjacent to the actual tarmac surface.

"Take over" is the operative term - they don't actually own it, I do.

Try leave your car parked on the road out touching the line, and see how far your deeds get you when it's taken away. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

amber69 wrote: »

Nope.

In most cases people own to the centreline of a road. The Local Authority have a permanent wayleave in place over the road and footpath. The 'Council' most certainly don't own land inside people's property boundary line.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Try leave your car parked on the road out touching the line, and see how far your deeds get you when it's taken away. :rolleyes:

That would be causing a public obstruction, though.
    They've thought of all that, the cunning sods.

Actually; istr that position is valid where the road is bordered by a wide margin. If I park my car on what looks like public / Council property, but is actually mine (and it isn't on the actual road, as such), then any parking enforcement would be on legally dodgy grounds and worth arguing about, as I haven't parked it on anyone else's patch but mine.
    Istr this being successfully fought about and won by householders in some towns, but that might have been across the water. The road adoption measures put in place to enable local authorities to acquire wayleaves and rights of way in perpetuity probably date back to a common period of over there and here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Don't know if that would count as stingy, probably somehow but it had a healthy portion of thickness to it.

Yesterday I read about someone asking the opinion of others: They're having this huge wedding costing 30k. She asked her folks for help and they threw 5 grand in, so he went and asked his folks too for the same amount, and they basically told them to f off. Now the couple is really upset and can't think of any way on how to cover these costs because they would really need the help of the second set of parents too.

Yes they got their opinions, was probably not the way she expected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Fair play to his parents for standing up to that crap.

If you can't afford it, then don't have it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

30 grand for a cake? How many months would that be, in mortgage repayments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I know I have said this before but my housemate has been drying her clothes free for over two years now. She refuses to put money in to feed the machine. I was going to wash a load of clothes this evening but she decided to use the dryer. There was no money left in it yet she still put her clothes in and turned it on to get the very last maybe four minutes out of it before it shut off. So her clothes are in there now and still wet? She knows full well she needed to put money in for it to work yet she refuses to part with two euros? I am ashamed for her at this stage. There is no level of scab low enough to describe her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I know I have said this before but my housemate has been drying her clothes free for over two years now. She refuses to put money in to feed the machine. I was going to wash a load of clothes this evening but she decided to use the dryer. There was no money left in it yet she still put her clothes in and turned it on to get the very last maybe four minutes out of it before it shut off. So her clothes are in there now and still wet? She knows full well she needed to put money in for it to work yet she refuses to part with two euros? I am ashamed for her at this stage. There is no level of scab low enough to describe her.

i would get an extention lead and pay next door the few euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Wouldn't it be sad if she came back to find her clothes had been removed from the dryer and put in a laundry basket, but the basket had fallen over, and she had to wash her clothes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bosco13

Our petrol station had a tyre gauge machine that you put 20p into and it activated the air pump for a few minutes. One day this old sod parked right up my arse, hoping to get my remaining time and I had to reverse out on to the main road, not being able to see properly because his car was blocking me.
    Wish I'd just sat there til my time ran out.

• Advertisement

Bosco13 wrote: »
    Our petrol station had a tyre gauge machine that you put 20p into and it activated the air pump for a few minutes. One day this old sod parked right up my arse, hoping to get my remaining time and I had to reverse out on to the main road, not being able to see properly because his car was blocking me.

The sort of miserable git who'd never buy an air pencil guage of his own, let alone a footpump at the minimum. It's hardly surprising there are thousands of cars on the road with dangerously under-inflated tyres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The sort of miserable git who'd never buy an air pencil guage of his own, let alone a footpump at the minimum. It's hardly surprising there are thousands of cars on the road with dangerously under-inflated tyres.

Anyone selling petrol or diesel should be forced to supply free air. It is ridiculous that road safety is disincentivised by charging for air.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Anyone selling petrol or diesel should be forced to supply free air. It is ridiculous that road safety is disincentivised by charging for air.

There is a real cost to supplying 'free' air. Compressors aren't cheap, and every forecourt loses (has stolen) a couple of inflator gauges per year. Luckily for me, my local garages aren't charging yet, but I was used to paying for it in England more than 20 years ago, so if it happens, it happens. It's not the end of the world.
    I always carry a pencil pressure gauge, and have a compressor in my own garage, so not really that likely to need it.

The real stinges are the ones who piggy-back on others' air payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,229 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

There are no words for that..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's because of the abuse the machines get, by charging some small amount, they are working more often than not (the stinges are also most likely to break it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Be a shame if someone got one of those little water sprayer bottles and gave the clothes in the dryer a fine mist of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think that any tesco with a carpark should provide free air. Its ridiculous, don't they care about safety?

I also think that every Woodies should provide free air. And that every place that sells tyres should check headlight alignment for free, don't they know that poorly aligned headlights are bad for safety!!!

(Just kidding, I really think that private businesses should have no obligation to provide free services what so ****ing ever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There is a real cost to supplying 'free' air. Compressors aren't cheap, and every forecourt loses (has stolen) a couple of inflator gauges per year. Luckily for me, my local garages aren't charging yet, but I was used to paying for it in England more than 20 years ago, so if it happens, it happens. It's not the end of the world.
    I always carry a pencil pressure gauge, and have a compressor in my own garage, so not really that likely to need it.

The real stinges are the ones who piggy-back on others' air payment.

Plus 1000. My local garage owner has 2 claims in for people who over inflated their tyres . Both claim to have been involved in accidents after over inflating their tyres. Now he has a pay machine set to 30 psi and no more. However, he told me there's a hidden pump for anyone who's trusted to know how to use the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Use to go to a busy Garage in Waterford. Same thing happened me more than once. Ould stinges parking beside ya to stinge the last 2 minutes of air.

I copped this ruse.

The trick is to use 4.35 mins of the allocated 5. Then say to said Stinge "work away my friend plenty of time on her. God bless and have a glorious memory worthy day".
    By the time he gets to it time just about out.

Mind you did see an ould stinge once with other driver pulling away pull in quickly dive on the hose rugby style engine still running and quickly connect it to a tyre to get the last few seconds on left it.

its quite common.

Seen some brazen stinges sit whole family in the car beside and seeing a fella with the coin operated power washer finishing up only to jump out and ponce on the hose and in a possessed manner tear around the car like the Flash as the family in the car exictedly and appresenively Point to spots the son might have missed and roar through the closed windows 'get the wheel arches too!" "rear window "as they know he has a minute flat to get every spot on their car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why though? I see a lot of cars driving about with one faulty headlight (or both!) - should bulbs be free? People will throw €60 of diesel into their car, but won't pay €1 to make sure their tyres are correctly inflated.

Advertisement