Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bosco13

I don't mind so using the remaining air. The first time I used it, I had to ask the owner to show me how and he told me if I was quick I could use the last guy's remaining time.
    It was having to reverse blindly onto the road so that man could save 20p that pissed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Bosco13 wrote: »
    It was having to reverse blindly onto the road so that man could save 20p that pissed me off.

How Irish is it to do something dangerous and illegal because you didn't want to discommode a gob****e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I know of a fella who gets his local pub to recap his bottles.

If he’s in a round he will always still take his bottle even if he’s had enough and isn’t drinking and then gets the barman to recap the bottle so he drinks it the next night he’s in.

One night he was in the local and was celebrating the birth of one of his kids and of course people were buying him bottles left right and Centre and he got a couple of nights drinking from that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Use to go to a busy Garage in Waterford. Same thing happened me more than once. Ould stinges parking beside ya to stinge the last 2 minutes of air.

I copped this ruse.

The trick is to use 4.35 mins of the allocated 5. Then say to said Stinge "work away my friend plenty of time on her. God bless and have a glorious memory worthy day".
    By the time he gets to it time just about out.

Mind you did see an ould stinge once with other driver pulling away pull in quickly dive on the hose rugby style engine still running and quickly connect it to a tyre to get the last few seconds on left it.

its quite common.

Seen some brazen stinges sit whole family in the car beside and seeing a fella with the coin operated power washer finishing up only to jump out and ponce on the hose and in a possessed manner tear around the car like the Flash as the family in the car exictedly and appresenively Point to spots the son might have missed and roar through the closed windows 'get the wheel arches too!" "rear window "as they know he has a minute flat to get every spot on their car.

In fairness that sounds like a bit of a laugh at least.

I have mentioned my friend of 20+ years before on this thread who is a notorious stinge. The etinge episodes are not so bad anymore purely because I simply don't ever get into rounds of any sort with her.

This is an extremely mild stinge example with her but very recent.

We went for dinner in a locsl Indian. A whole gang of us have been going there for well over a decade. The staff are always so nice, treat us like gold, the food is amazing and cheap as chips. They don't even charge corkage and allow any drinks you want. So this night it was just the pair of us, I wasn't drinking and she had 'stolen some booze' from her mum's. We are 40 btw. After much deliberation of the most economical combination of dishes we ordered and couldn't even finish they brought us so much. When the bill came It was just shy of 23€ so not even 12 each. I put €15 on my card and she said "ah thanks". I jumped in quickly "no, no. Im leaving a
    tip ." hoping that she would tip also but that's her call at the end of the dwy. We got up to leave and i saw her leave her money down.

It was only as we walked down the road I registered she had left a tenner. And me like the Irish non-confrontational dope that I am said nothing and quietly seethed about the fact she had used my tip to partially cover her share. It just never seems worth it to have words over s couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Katgurl wrote: »

I have mentioned my friend of 20+ years before on this thread who is a notorious stinge. The etinge episodes are not so bad anymore purely because I simply don't ever get into rounds of any sort with her.

We went for dinner in a locsl Indian. A whole gang of us have been going there for well over a decade. The staff are always so nice, treat us like gold, the food is amazing and cheap as chips. They don't even charge corkage and allow any drinks you want. So this night it was just the pair of us, I wasn't drinking and she had 'stolen some booze' from her mum's. We are 40 btw. After much deliberation of the most economical combination of dishes we ordered and couldn't even finish they brought us so much. When the bill came It was just shy of 23€ so not even 12 each. I put €15 on my card and she said "ah thanks". I jumped in quickly "no, no. Im leaving a
    tip ." hoping that she would tip also but that's her call at the end of the dwy. We got up to leave and i saw her leave her money down.

It was only as we walked down the road I registered she had left a tenner. And me like the Irish non-confrontational dope that I am said nothing and quietly seethed about the fact she had used my tip to partially cover her share. It just never seems worth it to have words over s couple of quid.

Is it really worth going out for a meal with her? Have you ever had it out with her? These people get away with murder. If you do go for a meal again I'd have change with me so I could pay for just my own share. You could tip the staff from your hand to theirs on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

loyatemu wrote: »
    why though? I see a lot of cars driving about with one faulty headlight (or both!) - should bulbs be free? People will throw €60 of diesel into their car, but won't pay €1 to make sure their tyres are correctly inflated.

They were been sarcastic......

Free air is a good thing as it will get some that usually wouldn't bother to check to do so and of course then we have the type that turn that thing called a key into a thingy ma Bob and it starts..
    The thingy ma jig then moves when some yoke is pushed and away they go.

As mentioned earlier it's shocking to see the amount of vehicles going around with the most dodgy of tyres to underinflated.

I was in a garage a while back and lady in front had the machine at 65psi for a Citroen estate. I helped her out as somehow she had 70 in one and 65 in two and 48 in another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,229 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

happyday wrote: »
    Is it really worth going out for a meal with her? Have you ever had it out with her? These people get away with murder. If you do go for a meal again I'd have change with me so I could pay for just my own share. You could tip the staff from your hand to theirs on the way out.
    Maybe this will turn into Lau and Cupcake Guy and they will fall in love...!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Not really. they arent having fun. Genuinely hate to spend €2/3 on power hose so scab others time on it.

Right proper scabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

You're far nicer than I am.. would've definitely said it to her, at least called her out in that you have noticed she did it.. she has nicked the staff's tip. The sneaky cow! It's their money, thanks to them for their kindness and great service.. the selfishness of it, does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

We went for dinner in a locsl Indian. A whole gang of us have been going there for well over a decade. The staff are always so nice, treat us like gold, the food is amazing and cheap as chips. They don't even charge corkage and allow any drinks you want. After much deliberation of the most economical combination of dishes we ordered and couldn't even finish they brought us so much. When the bill came It was just shy of 23€ so not even 12 each..

Sorry, but where is this restaurant? Might give it a shot some night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

MiL works as a cleaner in a local school. She gets paid for job, pay includes money for cleaning equip etc. Last time i was down spotted black wet Bin bags on clothes line drying. Worlds stingiest woman or worlds greatest recycler, i can't decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Our school cleaner brings her rubbish from home and puts it into the school wheelie bins.

She must always put it in the bottom of wheelie bin.....
    but she was caught out before the Easter holidays when we had to tip over a bin to look for something belonging to a child that was mistakenly put into bin.

Lo and behold, a bag full of household waste! She didn't even bother recycling the cans and cardboard!

I had great pleasure in telling the principal as we'd suspected it for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Our school cleaner brings her rubbish from home and puts it into the school wheelie bins.

She must always put it in the bottom of wheelie bin.....
    but she was caught out before the Easter holidays when we had to tip over a bin to look for something belonging to a child that was mistakenly put into bin.

Lo and behold, a bag full of household waste! She didn't even bother recycling the cans and cardboard!

I had great pleasure in telling the principal as we'd suspected it for a good while.

And was the child in the bin?
    A happy ending for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

Funny school bins mentioned

I was doing work at a rural school after hours and every so often a car or van would suddenly pull up and drive off.It was dark but I realized then they were dropping in their refuse to the school bins that were out for collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Three times now driving through the 'tag' lane at the toll booth on the M6 towards Galway a car has driven right up my arse so they can get through behind me before the barrier went back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was doing work at a rural school after hours and every so often a car or van would suddenly pull up and drive off.It was dark but I realized then they were dropping in their refuse to the school bins that were out for collection.

Stinge alright, but I'd prefer someone doing that than dumping in ditches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

rushfan wrote: »
    Stinge alright, but I'd prefer someone doing that than dumping in ditches.

It was the clatter of the lid dropping that was puzzling me at first.

Must be a regular thing out the country

Three times now driving through the 'tag' lane at the toll booth on the M6 towards Galway a car has driven right up my arse so they can get through behind me before the barrier went back down.

Next time stop at the barrier and let it close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

my ex wife use to buy xmas cards in January for the following year. For some reason it use to drive me nuts. In fairness to her she did remember where she put them 11 months later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

my ex wife use to buy xmas cards in January for the following year. For some reason it use to drive me nuts. In fairness to her she did remember where she put them 11 months later :)

Did that with wrapping paper after Christmas, I don't see anything wrong with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It would be very tempting to just clear the barrier and stop dead, so that they get caught and have to pay. I suppose the barrier has a sensor in the roadway that has to allow the current car to get clear, else the toll company would be getting bills for damage. Looks like stinges have sussed out the gap.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I do that with wrapping paper and cards every year. I keep them with the christmas decorations so I have a stash of them ready to go the next year when I take out the tree and I never forget where they are.

Wrapping paper and cards it's so 80's......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Seems like both of you are in the same boat.

First the "economical" Combination in a "cheap as chips restaurant"

then the full meal came to €23 and you only paid for yourself... Gentleman, make sure you used the leap card just for yourself aswell mate. id say you're anniversary and birthday gifts are unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

fitzparker wrote: »

then the full meal came to €23 and you only paid for yourself... Gentleman, make sure you used the leap card just for yourself aswell mate. id say you're anniversary and birthday gifts are unreal

Yeah, he/she definitely should have paid the bill for the notorious stinge that had come along to dinner. That's the best way to handle those stinges alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I though Katgurl was female.

She's right though. If you knew someone like this, you'd never pay for the stinge. They're just so annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Not sure why it's relevant but I'm female. Having said that would generally not split bills if out with a friend - it evens out over time anyway. But I never treat this friend anymore as funded her for years.

Also it was not me obsessing over cheaper combinations, everything on the menu is reasonable and the food / serivce is great.

I mentioned the restaurant is cheap as chips as to me this makes it doubly outrageous to not even cover your own cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Not sure why it's relevant but I'm female. Having said that would generally not split bills if out with a friend - it evens out over time anyway. But I never treat this friend anymore as funded her for years.

Also it was not me obsessing over cheaper combinations, everything on the menu is reasonable and the food / serivce is great.

I mentioned the restaurant is cheap as chips as to me this makes it doubly outrageous to not even cover your own cost.

Don't post here again unless all your meals are from at least one Michelin star restaurants :p

/not-a-mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,070 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I once saw a fellow chewing used beer mats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Was he trying to increase the fibre intake in his diet?

(BARF!!!)

Advertisement