Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Someone I know was like that in a restaurant before. Except there was a group of us and we were all throwing in around €2 each extra for tip. He was last to throw in and when the money was counted, there wasn't enough to even cover the bill. he obviously miscalculated the tips and thought it would cover most of this meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

fitzparker wrote: »
    Seems like both of you are in the same boat.

First the "economical" Combination in a "cheap as chips restaurant"

then the full meal came to €23 and you only paid for yourself... Gentleman, make sure you used the leap card just for yourself aswell mate. id say you're anniversary and birthday gifts are unreal

Stinge on the auld common sense there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Wheety wrote: »
    Someone I know was like that in a restaurant before. Except there was a group of us and we were all throwing in around €2 each extra for tip. He was last to throw in and when the money was counted, there wasn't enough to even cover the bill. he obviously miscalculated the tips and thought it would cover most of this meal.

I know a Restaurant owner who says this is way more common that you would think. She even witnessed one large group on a work night out, paying with a business credit card and having a cash whip around for a tip. One of them hung back as all her mates left and just swiped all the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I know a Restaurant owner who says this is way more common that you would think. She even witnessed one large group on a work night out, paying with a business credit card and having a cash whip around for a tip. One of them hung back as all her mates left and just swiped all the tip.

Thieving from her work mates; how uncool is that? Most stinges like that, simply don't see it as theft, but nevertheless that's what it is.
    I wonder if they know...
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I probably mentioned it before, but my old landlady used to swipe half rolls of toilet paper from work to bring home. She was a complete cow in so many other ways, though, that the TP thing could almost be considered one of her "quirks". :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I went back to a house in Drumcondra with a girl in fresher's week of second year. For some reason, I robbed a tube of toothpaste and two litres of milk on my way out of the house the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I went back to a house in Drumcondra with a girl in fresher's week of second year. For some reason, I robbed a tube of toothpaste and two litres of milk on my way out of the house the following morning.

Surprised she had any...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,229 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's like Ross O Carroll Kelly in his college days.
    Every girl he used have relations with, he'd rob a CD from their bedroom as a trophy.

To thine own self be true

It's like Ross O Carroll Kelly in his college days.
    Every girl he used have relations with, he'd rob a CD from their bedroom as a trophy.

This wasn't anything like that though. I had to race directly into Trinity for registration and I remember thinking that we didn't have any milk at home. The idea of buying some didn't come into me head. Not really sure what the toothpaste was about but I remember it was some fancy clear type, more a gel than a paste, that had little green hard bits in it. The fascination was obviously too much to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This wasn't anything like that though. I had to race directly into Trinity for registration and I remember thinking that we didn't have any milk at home. The idea of buying some didn't come into me head. Not really sure what the toothpaste was about but I remember it was some fancy clear type, more a gel than a paste, that had little green hard bits in it. The fascination was obviously too much to resist.

That’s ****ed up. Sex followed by milk and toothpaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Trying to get rid of the taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Poor girl. Gets ditched and can't even have a cup of tae or brush her teeth after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

rawn wrote: »
    Poor girl. Gets ditched and can't even have a cup of tae or brush her teeth after.

poor girl? probably more poor him. I bet she told every girl in university about his sc**bagbehaviour..:cool:

tara73 wrote: »
    poor girl? probably more poor him. I bet she told every girl in university about his sc**bagbehaviour..:cool:

Would only be fair. Thankfully she didn't know my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Pubs are great for exposing stinges.
    Two big huge stingebags of my acquaintance were in a round with work colleagues at one Christmas break up, about six people in it. Four bought their rounds, no bother.
    When it was time for a fifth to be bought, there was no stir from the stinges for a while. Two of the other four made a bit of a scene, saying something like 'it must be my round' before being told it wasn't. At this point one of the others says to the two stinges 'Get a round in, one of ye tight fckers' to much mirth, with even the stinges joining in the laughter. What did they do next only buy a round between them, splitting the bill, the two tightwads.

They've left the company since. One of them is very thin now and a former colleague says he is gone too mean to eat. It's possible. He once gave someone a second hand bedside locker for a wedding present.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

My Aunt moved to the US in the 80s looking for work. So as times weren't great at the start, she was pretty careful with her money. Which is completely understandable.

Then it a new level when she met a Cavan man.

As a family, we went over to visit them a few times over the years. We saw plastic knives & forks, paper plates & cups in the presses. Same in the fridge.
    My dad joked that they had robbed a cash & carry and the reply was "oh no, these are taken from his (her husband's) work place."

We said nothing. Later one night in Queens, we decided to head to a bar that we had gone to before on a previous visit. But were talked out of it as they charged a $4 door charge. Instead, we walked 12 blocks to another bar that they knew. If we had known it was that far, we'd have flagged a cab but it dawned on us that he said it was just down the street as to avoid paying 10 dollars to a cab.

^^^^ sound like a made up story. But the sad thing is that it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Used to know this madman who when buying loose tomatoes in his local Tesco would pull the little green things off the tops of the tomatoes before weighing so as to save weight and therefore money!:o

Spike Milligan, when he was in the army, described how his C.O., a Major Jenkins, used to gargle with mouthwash and then spit it back into the bottle!
    Yuck!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Count Down wrote: »
    Used to know this madman who when buying loose tomatoes in his local Tesco would pull the little green things off the tops of the tomatoes before weighing so as to save weight and therefore money!:o

My grandmother used to do the same kind of thing with Broccoli. She would snap off the stalk and leave it behind because she didn't want to pay for something she wasn't going to use :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

My grandmother used to do the same kind of thing with Broccoli. She would snap off the stalk and leave it behind because she didn't want to pay for something she wasn't going to use :o

My ex used to do this. I've also seen another woman do it. I'd probably choose one with the least amount of stalk, but I'd happily eat it tho. Annoying to see kids who think the stalk is just a handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There was somebody posted in the Rip Off Ireland forum here a few years ago who was complaining that the stalks on mushrooms were too long in Tesco.
    He/she went very quiet when about ten people told him/her that mushroom stalks are eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Superquinn used to have a little hacksaw beside the broccoli you could use to remove the excess stalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Back in the days when broccoli wasn't wrapped in about 3 layers of plastic to be sold (:mad:), supermarkets used to provide a little hacksaw for this very purpose. They're quite solid, those stalks - there really IS no point in paying them if you're not going to use them!

Other stinges thrifty people could then take the stalks for free for soup/stock-making purposes. Win win!

My uncle would make sure he got his money's worth in any car park he stayed in by waiting until the last minute to leave. He'd sometimes get back to the car about 20 minutes early (or more) and would wait patiently in the car until the time to the next nearest hour was nearly up before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

years ago a friends mam used to smoke her cigarette right down to the butt. even if you were finished your own smoke and about to put it out, she'd ask for it to finish it off.
    seems pointless smoking cotton, & it kinda gets hot on your lips as the smoke gets that low, but there ya go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭lorcand1990

My uncle would make sure he got his money's worth in any car park he stayed in by waiting until the last minute to leave. He'd sometimes get back to the car about 20 minutes early (or more) and would wait patiently in the car until the time to the next nearest hour was nearly up before leaving.

ha that's a good one! did anybody try to explain to him what 'opportunity cost' was?

Remember reading about this mad woman in England who used to time her bowel movements for working hours so as to save on buying toilet paper for her home!:(

ha that's a good one! did anybody try to explain to him what 'opportunity cost' was?

I did try to explain the error of his ways but he insisted on the correctness of his ways. He was as tight as a bull's arse in high summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Remember reading about this mad woman in England who used to time her bowel movements for working hours so as to save on buying toilet paper for her home!:(

Could get tricky hanging on over a long weekend :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Former mate of mine got exposed for ordering half-pints in a pint glass and asking the bartender (who also happened to be a mate of his) to fill the rest with water.

He was crafty as well he'd wait until everyone had a few pints in them before he'd start it.

Advertisement