Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Former mate of mine got exposed for ordering half-pints in a pint glass and asking the bartender to fill the rest with water.

He was crafty as well he'd wait until everyone had a few pints in them before he'd start it.

If true, that barman is the one who's the bigger issue here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

They were also mates, forgot to mention that. I'll edit to reflect, I thought I actually put it in brackets but nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

That’s ****ed up. Sex followed by milk and toothpaste.

Who said anything about sex??? Did he take the stuff cos there was none?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Count Down wrote: »
    Used to know this madman who when buying loose tomatoes in his local Tesco would pull the little green things off the tops of the tomatoes before weighing so as to save weight and therefore money!:o

When we were students, if my friend was buying coleslaw etc. from the salad bar, he would fill a tub, put an empty tub of the same size on the scales, tare/reset the scales to zero (which negated the weight of the tub), then put his filled tub on and printed the sticker.

He would only put the lid on once he had the sticker. This was all to avoid paying a couple of cent for the added weight of the plastic tub & lid, which he thought was a scam.

It was really the only stingey thing he ever did, but for some reason it was like a personal crusade for him.

I must confess that it was originally my idea, but I mentioned it as a thought experiment and never thought he would actually do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Arbie wrote: »
    When we were students, if my friend was buying coleslaw etc. from the salad bar, he would fill a tub, put an empty tub of the same size on the scales, tare/reset the scales to zero (which negated the weight of the tub), then put his filled tub on and printed the sticker.

He would only put the lid on once he had the sticker. This was all to avoid paying a couple of cent for the added weight of the plastic tub & lid, which he thought was a scam.

It was really the only stingey thing he ever did, but for some reason it was like a personal crusade for him.

I must confess that it was originally my idea, but I mentioned it as a thought experiment and never thought he would actually do it!

It's not unknown for an established line of pre-packed cheese or ham to come in a new packet and the price goes up. It somewhat irked me that I was being charged an extra 30c or so for the new 'easy-seal' packet, so would ferret out the older style packs, while the two were in simultaneous production.
    Does that make me a stinge? Of course it does, but I also object to hidden increases.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Former mate of mine got exposed for ordering half-pints in a pint glass and asking the bartender (who also happened to be a mate of his) to fill the rest with water.

He was crafty as well he'd wait until everyone had a few pints in them before he'd start it.

There's no way you'd not notice a pint that's half water.
    Unless the round was 9 people long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Former mate of mine got exposed for ordering half-pints in a pint glass and asking the bartender (who also happened to be a mate of his) to fill the rest with water.

Ain't having this one... some tin roofin' going on in this thread, lads...

razorblunt wrote: »
    There's no way you'd not notice a pint that's half water.
    Unless the round was 9 people long.

Or unless it was well after a few beers, when you'd be less inclined to notice something like that?:rolleyes:

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Ain't having this one... some tin roofin' going on in this thread, lads...

Ah here, the thread title is Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people 2 not Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people 2 I don't believe some stories so I'm gonna call them out.

I posted my experience with a stinge, rather than sit there and dissect it truth or false would ya not just read the experience and share your own, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Ah here, the thread title is Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people 2 not Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people 2 I don't believe some stories so I'm gonna call them out.

I posted my experience with a stinge, rather than sit there and dissect it truth or false would ya not just read the experience and share your own, no?

I'm too mean to, lad! :pac:

• Advertisement

Walked myself into that one there to be fair, should be more stingey with my steps from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Not really. Barman is fulfilling the request of the customer. Whether or not that customer is cheating his mates is of no concern to the barman (them being mates aside).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rushfan wrote: »
    Who said anything about sex??? Did he take the stuff cos there was none?

I took the stuff cos I was 19 years old and blitzed out of my mind at about 9 o'clock in the morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Arbie wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's some EU regulation or other that said that packaging mustn't be charged as food, so the scales should already have been set to take the tare into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New Home wrote: »
    Was he trying to increase the fibre intake in his diet?

(BARF!!!)

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

A little off topic but.. I hate waste and when I was last in Dunne;s they gave me an E5 voucher, with a 7 day limit.

As I knew I would not be back withn that time I offered it to the lady behind me etc but no one wanted it.

Grieved me that waste and left it wih the checkout lady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Remember reading about this mad woman in England who used to time her bowel movements for working hours so as to save on buying toilet paper for her home!:(
    cracked up here:pac:, I know it's off topic, but how do you time your bowel movements???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Graces7 wrote: »
    A little off topic but.. I hate waste and when I was last in Dunne;s they gave me an E5 voucher, with a 7 day limit.

As I knew I would not be back withn that time I offered it to the lady behind me etc but no one wanted it.

We do it all the time in my local Dunnes . I give my vouchers to whoever needs it and I have been handed vouchers which are out of date the next day from others
    Its sort of the done ( dunne ) thing here in Dublin where I am

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We do it all the time in my local Dunnes . I give my vouchers to whoever needs it and I have been handed vouchers which are out of date the next day from others
    lol re done dunne!

Good to hear. This was either Ballina or Castlebar and they looked embarrassed. I was tempted to fo round the shop again but...

Remember reading about this mad woman in England who used to time her bowel movements for working hours so as to save on buying toilet paper for her home!:(

Why? When I was a nipper we used newspaper, torn into neat squares, threaded on a string and hung by the toilet, The we graduated to San Izal, hard thin paper.. The modern stuff is multi purpose ;)

Necessity is the mother of invention etc,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Why? When I was a nipper we used newspaper, torn into neat squares, threaded on a string and hung by the toilet, The we graduated to San Izal, hard thin paper.. The modern stuff is multi purpose ;)

Necessity is the mother of invention etc,

Very Zero Waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Standard procedure here too. The cashier always has vouchers to hand and we all leave our unused ones with them.

The local brewery here used to leave six packs for certain people as Christmas gifts. One guy didn't drink and sold his gifts to his workmates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,811 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I never spend more than Eu15 in SupaValu, but every few months I get a Eu5 voucher at the till, but it's only valid if I spend Eu25 or more on the next visit. No use to me, so I usually nip into the pharmacist next door and give somebody a surprise. It's always taken in the spirit it's meant.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I went to a Wetherspoons for something to eat with two of my friends recently, me and one of my mates ordered a steak and chips (each) and some onion rings to share. Friend 2 said he wasn't hungry, but ate most of the onion rings, asked us to save him some steak, and helped himself to our chips too.

THIS. This is the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I know a Restaurant owner who says this is way more common that you would think. She even witnessed one large group on a work night out, paying with a business credit card and having a cash whip around for a tip. One of them hung back as all her mates left and just swiped all the tip.
    I really hope the restaurant owner pulled her up on it. That was extremely low, both to her colleagues and the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

tara73 wrote: »
    cracked up here:pac:, I know it's off topic, but how do you time your bowel movements???
    just wait to go till at  work i presume he means

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A guy I know was in a round with a couple but when it was his turn he only bought one for the male. A dickhead tbf.

He moved out of a house share one time owing rent and shares of bills, and when he was gone the other housemates found out he had deleted his number from their phones! Was caught out that time though, one of them was telling the tale of woe to a mate, who it turned out knew the stinge and how to contact him.

Actually remembering more stuff about this guy, he was moving to a new city and asked a friend if he could stay with him and his girlfriend for a night or too. Of course his friend said no problem but his generosity was poorly rewarded.
    When your man arrived he ended up eating their food and was making no effort whatsoever to find a place of his own. Plus he was really getting under their feet. He went back to his home place after 10 days or so and when he enquiries about coming back to stay the next week he was told that wouldn't be possible!

Strange guy actually, never knew anyone who liked him. Were rumours of him stalking someone at one stage, he has a good job in the public sector these days if Facebook is telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yet another tight fcker went to a black tie ball, tickets paid for by his wife's work.

There was a vacant seat next to them but your man kept telling the waiter someone was there and proceeded to order an extra starter, desert and main course. Of course himself and his wife tried to hoover it all up, in case one free dinner each wasn't enough.

Miserable people, they thought they were great, no one else did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I am not sure if I  already posted about someone i know who got a black trousers in Dunnes, wore to a funeral and retured it. he used to take the sugar sachets in coffe shops too and  go in to the loo, even if he did not need to use it, and tear off  some toilet paper to take home. not a complete roll but a long strip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A guy I know was in a round with a couple but when it was his turn he only bought one for the male. A dickhead tbf.

Was she buying a round too, or was he being stiff to buy two for the couple and only getting one back. Pretty stingey on the couple's behalf if that's the case

Advertisement