Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Yet another tight fcker went to a black tie ball, tickets paid for by his wife's work.

There was a vacant seat next to them but your man kept telling the waiter someone was there and proceeded to order an extra starter, desert and main course. Of course himself and his wife tried to hoover it all up, in case one free dinner each wasn't enough.

Miserable people, they thought they were great, no one else did!

Fat fooks as well no doubt. Funny how many of the stingey are always obese. Lazy, fat and tight - awful combo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I heard of a guy who walked into a bar once and ordered a glass of Guinness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Quazzie wrote: »
    Was she buying a round too, or was he being stiff to buy two for the couple and only getting one back. Pretty stingey on the couple's behalf if that's the case

Yep, he got two from them, bought one back.
    As I said earlier on the pub is the ultimate place for exposing the hardcore stinge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I heard of a guy who walked into a bar once and ordered a glass of Guinness...
    Should have been barred!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If people in Ireland would grow out of the round system, this thread would be 1/4 of the size, and most people would be happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

happyday wrote: »
    Very Zero Waste!

Just the way we lived. Post war UK..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If people in Ireland would grow out of the round system, this thread would be 1/4 of the size, and most people would be happier.

Nothing speaks to friendship and comradery like four people coming to the bar and one by one ordering themselves a drink.

If you can't do a round with your friends then are they really your friends? Or are they just passing acquaintances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Or unless it was well after a few beers, when you'd be less inclined to notice something like that?:rolleyes:

A pint glass that's half water? Of course you'd know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A pint of Guinness would look well if it was half water

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

tara73 wrote: »
    cracked up here:pac:, I know it's off topic, but how do you time your bowel movements???
    I think she ate the same foods at the same times every day.
    How she managed weekends I don't know, unless she worked weekends too or perhaps she timed her bowel movements to coincide with a visit to her friends/relatives.
    By all accounts she had it down to a fine art....:o

• Advertisement

One evening when I was young, I had just landed in Dublin after getting the train from Cork. I was waiting for a bus near Heuston Station. The bus arrived, stopped at the bus stop and this nice man, all smiles, gets off, hands me a one day unlimited travel bus pass and says "Here, have this. I'm finished with it but it's still valid until the end of the day".
    I thanked him, put my 50p back into my pocket and went to get on the bus. The driver looked at me with rodent-like eyes and said "Ye can't use that because it's non-transferable." Rather than spend the 50p I said "Fair enough, I'll wait for the next one", even though I knew the next bus was 20 minutes later! I just desperately wanted to save a mere 50p!

Used to know this tight fecker who wouldn't pay the adult fare on the buses until he was 20. He only gave up because the conductors stopped believing him when he used to try to convince them he was only 15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yet another tight fcker went to a black tie ball, tickets paid for by his wife's work.

There was a vacant seat next to them but your man kept telling the waiter someone was there and proceeded to order an extra starter, desert and main course. Of course himself and his wife tried to hoover it all up, in case one free dinner each wasn't enough.

Miserable people, they thought they were great, no one else did!

They weren't embarassed to do that ?

Jesus some people ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

They weren't embarassed to do that ?

Jesus some people ...

if stinges would feel embarrassemnt, they wouldn't be stinges..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Count Down wrote: »
    Used to know this tight fecker who wouldn't pay the adult fare on the buses until he was 20. He only gave up because the conductors stopped believing him when he used to try to convince them he was only 15!

Boyle Abbey in Roscommon. I visited the day before I reached the reduced entry for seniors so i said I would come back next week.

They were so amazed they let me in free ;)

Or the story of the family who moved house and discovered that the previous owners had taken all the light bulbs with them - and they weren't even CFLs, just ordinary cheapo ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Or the story of the family who moved house and discovered that the previous owners had taken all the light bulbs with them - and they weren't even CFLs, just ordinary cheapo ones!

Isn't that Normal ?

In Holland and Germany when you move in there is usually just wires hanging out of the roof and you go off and get your own light fixtures including bulbs or bring ones from your own place.

FFS when you rent in Germany it doesn't even come with a kitchen :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And in other countries you have to paint the whole place before handing it back, but I suppose it's a case of 'When in Rome', etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

redcup342 wrote: »
    Isn't that Normal ?

In Holland and Germany when you move in there is usually just wires hanging out of the roof and you go off and get your own light fixtures including bulbs or bring ones from your own place.

FFS when you rent in Germany it doesn't even come with a kitchen :)

If you get in touch with the previous renter in Germany you can make a deal with them and exchange money for fittings and lights etc they have bought or installed .Its common to take over some of the kitchen etc from the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I really hope the restaurant owner pulled her up on it. That was extremely low, both to her colleagues and the staff.

The owner was between a rock and a hard place really. You don't want customers like that and it was grotesquely unfair on the staff who lost their tip but next time that crowd are booking a night out, the thief is going to poison her colleagues against choosing that restaurant again if she is publicly embarrassed. Sometimes, you can't win, so she just let it slide I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The driver looked at me with rodent-like eyes and said "Ye can't use that because it's non-transferable." Rather than spend the 50p I said "Fair enough, I'll wait for the next one", even though I knew the next bus was 20 minutes later! I just desperately wanted to save a mere 50p!

The driver is the stinge in that story. What was it to him, like? Miserable git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The driver is the stinge in that story. What was it to him, like? Miserable git.

He's just doing his job. How is he being a stinge exactly? It's not like he was going to be getting that 50 pence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you get in touch with the previous renter in Germany you can make a deal with them and exchange money for fittings and lights etc they have bought or installed .Its common to take over some of the kitchen etc from the previous owner.

Yeah I'm aware but you pay for it like, it's not normal the stuff is just included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rasputin87

I'm working abroad - finishing up shortly - but in the office, we'll occasionally have dress-down Fridays once or twice a month, in aid of different charities. People come around collecting money usually at 10/11am, and most people throw in a couple of pounds. Fairly simple set up. If you're not dressed down and you're in business attire, they won't come to your desk looking for money.

There's a guy on our team that on these days, always comes in wearing shirt, tie, pants etc - fairly standard business wear - with a spare change on 'dress down' clothes in a kit bag. As soon as they've collected the money from our team - ignoring him as he's in business wear - off he goes to the changing rooms to change into his casual clothing. Every time, without fail.

Stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Rasputin87 wrote: »
    I'm working abroad - finishing up shortly - but in the office, we'll occasionally have dress-down Fridays once or twice a month, in aid of different charities. People come around collecting money usually at 10/11am, and most people throw in a couple of pounds. Fairly simple set up. If you're not dressed down and you're in business attire, they won't come to your desk looking for money.

There's a guy on our team that on these days, always comes in wearing shirt, tie, pants etc - fairly standard business wear - with a spare change on 'dress down' clothes in a kit bag. As soon as they've collected the money from our team - ignoring him as he's in business wear - off he goes to the changing rooms to change into his casual clothing. Every time, without fail.

Stingy.

I agree yer man is stingy but if I had someone shaking a bucket in my face every two weeks without fail at work I'd be raging!

It's bad enough in my place having to give money often enough for some eegit I dont even know who's leaving or having a birthday, imagine doing that every fortnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In Cavan they bring the wallpaper with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Rasputin87 wrote: »
    benjamin d wrote: »
    I agree yer man is stingy but if I had someone shaking a bucket in my face every two weeks without fail at work I'd be raging!

It's bad enough in my place having to give money often enough for some eegit I dont even know who's leaving or having a birthday, imagine doing that every fortnight!

If you don't want to pay, then don't wear casual/dress-down. That's the whole point. It's completely optional.

Think that whole idea of this collection stinks tbh. They’re using this clothes method to make sure everyone knows if you gave your money to a charity or not.

Had something at my work recently where a colleague created a group on a messaging app to organise buying someone a gift. Twenty people suddenly in this group involuntary. Most of them went along with it. I deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I once stayed in a b&b where despite the woman of the house coming across like Mrs Bucket and thinking it was a mini Hilton, they didn't provide towels. Not even a hand towel by the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I once stayed in a b&b where despite the woman of the house coming across like Mrs Bucket and thinking it was a mini Hilton, they didn't provide towels. Not even a hand towel by the sink.

I stayed in a place like that too although the ad was very clear that towels weren't provided. The owner explained that there was no laundry in the town and they were pretty much full occupancy during the summer so the logistics of dealing with all the towels forced the decision. She was considering reversing it though as the logistics of dealing with all the towels people left behind were getting to be a pain and the negative publicity from people who didn't read the specifics of the ad!

The little corner shop down the street had a massive sign advertising towels and was well overpriced on them too. I don't think the B&B owner got along with the shop owner so perhaps another factor in the reversal thoughts, small town politics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Chriiistttt.
    I remember staying in a rented apartment in Italy on a girlie break.
    The bathroom towels smelled rank and had stains.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement