Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Chriiistttt.
    I remember staying in a rented apartment in Italy on a girlie break.
    The bathroom towels smelled rank and had stains.

In fairness, a lot of tourist destinations in Italy in the budget and middle price class have shocking levels of comfort and hygiene.
    I've been to Italy a lot and I don't wanna go back simply because I don't wanna deal with Italians and their obnoxious money-grabbing attitude.

I know it goes both ways in Italy. A good friend of mine got kicked out of a church because he was carrying an empty coffee cup because he didn't find a bin, he wanted to take a picture inside and put the cup down. They asked him to leave immediately because he has a cup down the floor so he attempted to beg, which is not allowed.

Anyway, I mentioned this wedding a while ago in this thread and the saga continues. So a friend is bridesmaid and the big day is 2 days away.
    Bride being a total stinge and bridezilla. The couple is pretty well off but they try cutting costs everywhere.
    As a photographer they use one of the grooms workmates, "he has a good camera and does it for free". No real experience in the field whatsoever.
    Everything by now is a drama and it's all about costs. The guests don't need canapes because they can order something themselves at the bar.
    The menu is plain awful (I am aware this comes down to personal tastes but it's in a quite nice hotel and the menu is short of nuggets and chips kinda style).
    But the worst is the way the bridesmaids are treated. The bride doesn't drive and now sees one of them as her personal taxi service. Every refusal ends in a huge tantrum and everyone wants it to be over. She even told her she might consider getting a 7-seater because that could come in handy in the future (what the bride means with it is that her daughter starts playschool in the same as said BM and thinks that her brat will be taxi'd everywhere).
    A week ago all BMs got a text saying she booked them all in for Make-up, tan and nails, costs are X. Up until then these costs were never mentioned to anyone really and that's 150 quid per head. Hair was supposed to be paid for for bride, BMs and mother of bride by someone as present. Yesterday evening it turned out, the hair isn't paid for and that's another 50 per head.
    So my friend drove over to the bride and was giving her hell what she's thinking to put all the costs on them 2 weeks before, she never said anything about it and they struggle to afford the 200 bobs extra and collectively decided to sort everything of the above out themselves because they can get costs down a good bit and skip the tan.
    Bride broke down in a massive tantrum screaming that nobody understands the pressure on her. Her future husband was there too and somehow it turned out that bride didn't pay for the celebrant yet! He snapped, stripped her bank card and is not talking to her now because she didn't pay a few other important things either.
    At the end she got very bitter and mumbled something about but she paid for dresses, shoes and jewellery. (The dresses are 15 euro wrap dresses from China, while some can be nice, they are awful and unflattering on every girl, the shoes are 7 euro sandals from Penneys and the jewellery was 8 Euros in some discount store). Especially the curvier BMs feel mortified in what they are wearing, I saw pictures of them and they really look some Aldi version of a slavic girl band.

Also a week ago the bride started to drop hints on how much she expects in the gift cards from the BMs.

I'll be sad when this is over because it's more entertaining than any TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

LirW wrote: »
    Also a week ago the bride started to drop hints on how much she expects in the gift cards from the BMs.

At this rate, so will I.

Jeez, ye must have a great laugh about it all on a Friday night over a pint.

'Tis far better that the Bridesmaids look like a Slavic girl band.. we all know what boring Bridesmaids look like, lol. Any pics?
    Yer one sounds like a right head case.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    At this rate, so will I.

Jeez, ye must have a great laugh about it all on a Friday night over a pint.

'Tis far better that the Bridesmaids look like a Slavic girl band.. we all know what boring Bridesmaids look like, lol. Any pics?
    Yer one sounds like a right head case.

I have a pic, might post it after the affair.
    Just to make it nicer, they have pastel rainbow colours, every maid has a different dress. They're these awful multiway things, they all look like having bandages around their upper bodies and none of them has proper boob support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I think I would have handed back the stuff to that bridezilla long before now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have a pic, might post it after the affair.
    Just to make it nicer, they have pastel rainbow colours, every maid has a different dress. They're these awful multiway things, they all look like having bandages around their upper bodies and none of them has proper boob support.
    This would make a thread all by itself.
    Reminds me of the bridezilla/Lau/Cupcake Guy thread for anyone who knows it!

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was thinking exactly the same! Maybe it's the former bride who's getting remarried! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Count Down wrote: »
    Or the story of the family who moved house and discovered that the previous owners had taken all the light bulbs with them - and they weren't even CFLs, just ordinary cheapo ones!

We bought our house two years ago and according to the contract all light fittings, curtains and blinds were included in the sale. None were fancy, think Ikea not Brown Thomas, but they'd do until we could upgrade.
    When we got the keys on the day of closing and went to see the house everything had been stripped out, apart from one light fitting which we realized was broken.

Bridezilla stories never fail to amuse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

lazygal wrote: »
    We bought our house two years ago and according to the contract all light fittings, curtains and blinds were included in the sale. None were fancy, think Ikea not Brown Thomas, but they'd do until we could upgrade.
    When we got the keys on the day of closing and went to see the house everything had been stripped out, apart from one light fitting which we realized was broken.

Is that not breach of contract?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

As entertaining as this sounds, nothing will ever bet the epic story of the bride and groom who took their nearest and dearest for dinner and then started opening cards at the table to pay for it. Guests back at the "reception" didn't know what the hell was going on and the whole thing was a cluster fcuk.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    As entertaining as this sounds, nothing will ever bet the epic story of the bride and groom who took their nearest and dearest for dinner and then started opening cards at the table to pay for it. Guests back at the "reception" didn't know what the hell was going on and the whole thing was a cluster fcuk.

Wait I need details, don't be stingy with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Paddy Cow wrote:

Can someone link to that tale.....

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Best wedding thread ever! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

That was nearly 4 years ago already!! Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

LynnGrace wrote: »

Was there a thread before that about the build up to the wedding!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Was there a thread before that about the build up to the wedding!!?

There was an epic build up thread. Someone correct me if im wrong but i think it may have deleted due to the bride beginning to be identifiable or something, i could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Noo wrote: »
    There was an epic build up thread. Someone correct me if im wrong but i think it may have deleted due to the bride beginning to be identifiable or something, i could be wrong.

The build up thread was amazing. It culminated in live updates from the bridesmaid who started the whole thread from the event itself. I recall that all the predicted awful stingeyness came true and then some. It was up there with the thread about the fellow who found a safe in his new house, except that there was a remarkable payoff at the end. Very upsetting that so much of the thread was deleted ostensibly to protect the bride stinge-a-saurus. I thought that the horse had already bolted, but the powers that be felt that the many boardsies following would somehow turn up at the event itself if the thread was left up.

Should do some kind of freedom of information thing on it, or statute of limitations on it, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

i still like the story of the guest that **** all over the reception, hope I am remembering right and it was on here somewhere and not reddit etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

Looked after friend's (former) house before while they were all way a few summers ago in France. Had to drive up to the house twice a day, feed all the animals and made sure they were secured safely at night, same for the house itself. Did this back and forth (twice) every day for 3 weeks and they brought me back a mug from france for my efforts. I think the gift of a mug had some subliminal meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

check_six wrote: »
    The build up thread was amazing. It culminated in live updates from the bridesmaid who started the whole thread from the event itself. I recall that all the predicted awful stingeyness came true and then some. It was up there with the thread about the fellow who found a safe in his new house, except that there was a remarkable payoff at the end. Very upsetting that so much of the thread was deleted ostensibly to protect the bride stinge-a-saurus. I thought that the horse had already bolted, but the powers that be felt that the many boardsies following would somehow turn up at the event itself if the thread was left up.

Should do some kind of freedom of information thing on it, or statute of limitations on it, I reckon.

I really want to read that original thread!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks you lovely people, I'll finally get this piece of boards history into myself, I've heard so much about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭benny79

Anybody know what page it roughly starts on seen as the link has 93 pages ..lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

benny79 wrote: »
    Anybody know what page it roughly starts on seen as the link has 93 pages ..lol..

You gotta read it all :D

Almost halfway through, it's brilliant!

Noo wrote: »

Yes, I think the original build up thread might have been deleted. Not sure though. Must have a look later.
    Definitely my favourite ever wedding thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Almost halfway through, it's brilliant!

Just starting now - #NoSpoilers!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Advertisement