Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

My local Eurospar has taken all of the unsold Easter Eggs and put the individual bars on the shelf (even the ones without bar codes) and put the Easter eggs with just the foil around them into display baskets and are selling them for €3.

This reeks of scabbiness.

Just sell the fucking things off at a discount price ... or even full price. They are probably getting more money doing it that way than the original selling price and probably breaking terms and conditions from Cadbury, Nestlé, et. al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Conspectus wrote: »
    For anyone interested the ranting & Raving forum has a brilliant thread about retail. On gaining access to that forum I spent 6 hours reading every post.

The Colleagues thread also has a lot of stinge in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vgf1995

Used to work at the bar in a stadium. We got all kinds of stingy people. In fairness, yes the prices were crazy, but some people came up with ridiculously elaborate schemes for the sake of a couple of euros.

One of the best ones I saw was this chap who ordered a pint of Guinness from me, and asked for a second plastic cup to make it more stable. No bother. Gave it to him. He went away. No more than a minute later I saw him come up to another till at our bar, having split the one pint between the two cups and ask if his pints could be topped up as they tasted a bit dead and the head had disappeared. Now, as it was fairly busy, the girl working down that end of the bar probably had no idea if she had recently served him. He got his pints topped up and off he went. Two for the price of one. Saw him give the other pint to his mate, who I had served earlier when he bought his round.

Mad, stingy, but a bit genius all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why are such forums restricted to invitees? Cannot be any worse than AH at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Why are such forums restricted to invitees? Cannot be any worse than AH at times!

The reasons are above my pay grade(anything above 0 is above me) But once you get in it will become apparent as to why its private.

• Advertisement

The reasons are above my pay grade(anything above 0 is above me) But once you get in it will become apparent as to why its private.

Thanks Conspectus. I'd say my few transgressions will not bode in my favour, but I might give it a go sometime and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Thanks Conspectus. I'd say my few transgressions will not bode in my favour, but I might give it a go sometime and see!

I'll vouch for your good character if you apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People who go to the driver and ask for a €1.50 fare when they should be paying €2.15

Adults using child leap cards to save a few cent.

The worst ones are those that photocopy social welfare passes to get to go anywhere for free.

Scabby backstards

I'll vouch for your good character if you apply.

Thank you, that's so good of you. We shall see though.....!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

There should be a minimum fare for the bus and train

No wonder public transport isn't well funded
    So many people using it for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Notorious Stingebag i know was in a chipper getting food for 3 people. One of the orders was a snackbox for his mate.

He stole one of the pieces of chicken and when his pal got home ohh they gave me just 1 piece of chicken Im not arsed driving back.

Stinge had the piece of chicken hidden in his jacket wrapped in paper!.

Same guy would cycle literally about 3/4 kilometres out of his way to garage for a chicken fillet roll as it was 50 cent cheaper than local deli which was beside the office he worked in.

hed spend his whole lunch cycling only to return sweating with a cold fillet roll!.
    Maybe he likes getting out of the office on the bike at lunch, or burning a few calories every day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pablo128 wrote: »
    I recently turned down a chance to move from the warehouse to the sales office purely so I didn't have to deal with the public. I do have to deal with them occasionally, and there are some who you would wonder how they manage to dress themselves in the morning.

Shudders remembering my street market years.. SHUDDERS!

But then there were the lovely ones too.. Lots of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

L1011 wrote: »
    Compost bins and moisture levels therein have come up here before - mainly someone using residual heat from their oven to dehydrate their compostable waste (teabags) before it went out - so not costing them any more in power but possibly saving a relatively small amount in bin weight.

Copied from another forum

Before I read this thread I'd have assumed it was made up, but out there somewhere someone is more than likely preparing a tray of tea bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

riemann wrote: »
    Copied from another forum

Before I read this thread I'd have assumed it was made up, but out there somewhere someone is more than likely preparing a tray of tea bags

i know a woman that stores her rubish in the green house in the bin but open so that it dries it out. she doesnt even get charged by the weight yet.
    its probably not a bad idea when we do start getting charged . all that water adds weight

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thank you, that's so good of you. We shall see though.....!!!

If you want in its no worries. Just let me know.
    For anyone interested the ranting & Raving forum has a brilliant thread about retail. On gaining access to that forum I spent 6 hours reading every post.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057757954
    Apply here for access. Read the first post before requesting

CRITERIA FOR ACCESS
    A minimum of 50 posts on boards.ie
    A minimum of 3 months on boards.ie
    A relatively clean record (this is at the mods discretion)

Subscribers bypass the time and postcount restrictions (please mention in your request if you are a subscriber). Please note that the moderators decision is final with respect to access.

Thanks for the plug. Just spent about 2 hours granting access to people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

G_R you deserve a few nice cold beers and a night off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In R&R you can start a thread ranting about something and only people who agree with the rant can post. It's a great stress relief forum. There's a great stingy thread in AH but it's ruined because whenever someone posts a quality stinge story, it's followed by pages of people arguing over whether or not the person was stingy. You get none of that in R&R. B!tch away to your hearts content, get the stress of your day off your shoulders and go about the rest of your life.

AH can be great but loads of threads are ruined with petty bickering, gaslighting, the same few posters taking over the thread etc. In R&R the mods don't have to waste loads of time deciding whether or not posts are acceptable. The basic rule is "if you go against the rant, you are out". If you don't agree with something, then start another thread and don't clutter up the current one. It's a great system.

If you do venture into R&R, make sure to check out the "Cries of Retail" thread. It gives a real insight into the sh!tty nature of the public. Most of the "Cries of......" threads do but retail is the best one ;)

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    In R&R you can start a thread ranting about something and only people who agree with the rant can post. It's a great stress relief forum. There's a great stingy thread in AH but it's ruined because whenever someone posts a quality stinge story, it's followed by pages of people arguing over whether or not the person was stingy. You get none of that in R&R. B!tch away to your hearts content, get the stress of your day off your shoulders and go about the rest of your life.

AH can be great but loads of threads are ruined with petty bickering, gaslighting, the same few posters taking over the thread etc. In R&R the mods don't have to waste loads of time deciding whether or not posts are acceptable. The basic rule is "if you go against the rant, you are out". If you don't agree with something, then start another thread and don't clutter up the current one. It's a great system.

If you do venture into R&R, make sure to check out the "Cries of Retail" thread. It gives a real insight into the sh!tty nature of the public. Most of the "Cries of......" threads do but retail is the best one ;)

You mean you HAVE to be nasty about everyone and everything? That is terrible. Truly terrible. Negative...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What a horrible human being, you'd feel like thumping them kinda arseholes.
    Homer wrote: »
    I know if it was me in the q behind him I certainly wouldn’t stand there and let him speak to her like that. What a pr1ck.. and he will only ever speak to a female cashier like that generally.. bully

Sadly, my experience working in Tesco found that people hated Tesco so much that customers would often back each other against you. The cashier at the coalface would usually take the brunt of their weird Tesco hatred.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Sadly, my experience working in Tesco found that people hated Tesco so much that customers would often back each other against you. The cashier at the coalface would usually take the brunt of their weird Tesco hatred.

Where do you folk live please?I have never seen anything like this. The nearest has been in eg Dunne's when men (! ) have been buying booze and the checkout staff have told then to wait until 10.30. They have meekly stood to one side and waited.

In small towns though they know many of the customers and hold things up chatting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Graces7 wrote: »
    You mean you HAVE to be nasty about everyone and everything? That is terrible. Truly terrible. Negative...

Well no, you don't. You can just choose not to participate.

Well no, you don't. You can just choose not to participate.

:confused:

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

Pretty self explanatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Pretty self explanatory.

I think you missed their joke. They were having a rant about the ranting thread. As you didn’t agree with their rant you shouldn’t have posted (as per ranting thread)

I see. It was early so I was obviously a bit stingy with the humour. Apologies to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

A friends flat mate is incredibly stingy. He's always tagging along at things and scrounging drinks or food.
    One time everyone ordered chicken wings and he didn't bother ordering anything and just ate everyone's celery 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Just got into R&R last night.. and 'tis great! Love the neighbour thread. Very funny and it makes you feel better about your own next door neighbour woes. Very witty folk on boardsies, I must say..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

I also used to work in a place with free coffee, so in the subsidised canteen, one of the guys used to fill his coffee cup with pastries or whatever else he fancied robbing

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Access please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I never really have any epic stingy stories but a friend of mine really got on my nerves at the weekend with his stinginess.
    We have games nights regularly with a group of 8 people and rotate the hosts between 2 couples houses as we have the most room for everyone. Regardless of whether the game is at our house or the other couples' we'll always bring along snacks for everyone. Usually everyone brings some sort of snacks to the nights so there's a sugar overload but it's great. One guy who comes to the nights never brings snacks but just eats everything in sight as fast as he can without even a thanks. He brought stuff to our night on Saturday and we were shocked. Instead of sharing them out though, he kept it all in his own bag at his feet for the whole night. Ate everyone else's stuff as usual, but in between would sneak out his own tube of pringles and have a few crisps out of it, then put it back in the bag. Brought the bag home with him at the end of the night too. I was disgusted. :rolleyes:

Advertisement