Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Greybottle wrote: »
    We have free tea and coffee in work. I bring my own tea as I don't like the teabags that we have there.

Where does that put me?

Fussy 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd often have 10 cups of tea in the day when at work, a fiver a day soon adds up over the year. At 50 cent a pop I'd be spending over 1000 euro on tea at work so if in a similar situation I'd bring my own.

Get a load of this guy been stingy with his work!! How would you have time to drink 10 cups in a day in work?

Unless your a professional tea taster :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

TitianGerm wrote:
    Get a load of this guy been stingy with his work!! How would you have time to drink 10 cups in a day in work?

When I worked in a call centre I drank a minimum of 10 cups of coffee a day. Granted my desk was about 3 meters from the coffee machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I do have one mate who rather than pay for his bins to be taken away, he gets rid of his rubbish by squashing it up super small and tears stuff into very small bits and dumps it in a council bin right outside the door of his apartment building, sneaks down early in the morning or late at night to get rid of it.

Doesn't have to pay for bins at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Access request please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    Access request please.

Request granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd often have 10 cups of tea in the day when at work, a fiver a day soon adds up over the year. At 50 cent a pop I'd be spending over 1000 euro on tea at work so if in a similar situation I'd bring my own.

In one of my previous jobs, myself and a few others got into the routine of wandering into the canteen every two or so hours and grabbing a cup of tea/coffee/water from the machine. Great excuse to get up from the desk and waste five minutes. A senior manager would meet us in the canteen 9 out of 10 times. It became a running joke. That man drank nothing but tea. Must have literally drank 10 cups easily a day. We got to the point that we'd watch out for him and only go after we saw him walking back to his office balancing a cup of tea in one hand and his laptop in the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I do have one mate who rather than pay for his bins to be taken away, he gets rid of his rubbish by squashing it up super small and tears stuff into very small bits and dumps it in a council bin right outside the door of his apartment building, sneaks down early in the morning or late at night to get rid of it.

I did this sadly, bin right outside door in central Dublin. What you do is use a 1L milk carton with the top opened, you can cram loads in until the carton is rounded and hard as concrete, fits the, 'anti dumping' hole of the city bins perfectly.. :o (sorry) (been years since.. I recycle heartily..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Do you nip home at lunch for a dump if you don’t like the toilet roll?

You may laugh, but I knew a bloke who did that. Not a stinge, just tender. The cheap-ass rough-ass Izal in work was too much.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Not really stingy but a bus driver being a ****!

Years ago getting onto a 40C to Finglas from the city centre at 6.25pm, there is a mass of people surging on to the bus

There is a frail old woman in front of me and she flashed her bus pass at the driver (bus passes couldn't be used between 4.30 and 6.30pm in those days )

Bus driver: "here Mrs ya can't use tha now ..yill havta wait fir tha next one riii !!)

Me : "There's 55p I'll pay it for her !!"

Driver: "Tha ill ony get her ta Dorset street!!"

Me :"Ya and by time she gets to Dorset street it will be after half 6 and she can use her pass!!!

Driver: "Smar bleedin cnut ain't ya !!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reminds me of my street market trading days in a certain small village. I woujd be setting up around 8 am, and there was one nicely dressed lady who walked the main street, stopping at every litter bin and putting a small bit in.

TitianGerm wrote:

Very easy to do a 10 or 12 hour day and in my job I'm not tied to a desk or have to face customers. I'm trusted in my role and allowed to get tea whenever I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

No, he doesn't have to pay for them. We pay for them through all sorts of taxes.

Its something that seriously pisses me off. North Inner City where I live is rife with that. People dumping bags beside overflowing bins. Seagulls rip them apart and it blows everywhere. The place is a Fcuking tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Back in college I knew a real stinge. Myself, himself and another mate would go boozing, and we'd all buy our rounds as normal, including the stinge, no problem there.

What was amazing was when we'd be out the following week and when we'd walk into the bar the stinge would declare, "who's buying the first round tonight? I bought the last round that last night, so it's not me!"

He had a ton of other examples of amazing levels of stinginess... To be fair though, he's a nice fella and we've called him out on it alot so he's really improved.

Oh and access requested, please...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

TitianGerm wrote: »

Must be a High Court judge....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

elvis83 wrote: »
    Back in college I knew a real stinge. Myself, himself and another mate would go boozing, and we'd all buy our rounds as normal, including the stinge, no problem there.

What was amazing was when we'd be out the following week and when we'd walk into the bar the stinge would declare, "who's buying the first round tonight? I bought the last round that last night, so it's not me!"

He had a ton of other examples of amazing levels of stinginess... To be fair though, he's a nice fella and we've called him out on it alot so he's really improved.

I don't get it? If he buys his round, what difference does it make if he gets the first or last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I don't get it? If he buys his round, what difference does it make if he gets the first or last one?

I think because he made a big show of reminding his co-drinkers that he bought the last round on a previous session.

Only a stinge would keep track of things like that and carry it over to a whole new night out a full week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

When I was young and lived in Swords, Co. Dublin in the early 1970s before it became the sprawling metropolis it is now, the 41 bus used to come to Glasmore Park where I lived, because that's where the terminus was.
    There was this stingy fecker whose nickname was 'Clid' and he was as irritating as a nettle in your britches. School was only about a mile away, but it was lashing rain one morning and most of the schoolkids in the estate decided to take the bus.
    Most of us were upstairs and Clid was regaling everyone about how he scored a 'penno' in a recent match. We had all paid our 2p each, except Clid, and when it came to his turn he told the conductor that he'd already paid. The conductor said "Show us your ticket then". He'd no ticket of course, so he tried to convince the conductor that he'd lost it. The conductor was about to put him off when Clid started bawling crying, saying "I paid, I did, I swear!" Tears were running down his repulsive face, and the idiot of a conductor was completely fooled and reeled him off a ticket saying "Ye'd better not lose this one!"
    As soon as the conductor went downstairs Clid started laughing, saying "What did yiz think of that, lads! Fooled the eejit!"
    I'm convinced that the tears were actually genuine, and he thought he was rumbled, and when he got away with it he brazened it out for the benefit of all present to save face.
    All for 2p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Amalgam wrote: »
    I did this sadly, bin right outside door in central Dublin. What you do is use a 1L milk carton with the top opened, you can cram loads in until the carton is rounded and hard as concrete, fits the, 'anti dumping' hole of the city bins perfectly.. :o (sorry) (been years since.. I recycle heartily..)

Clever haha. Concrete, new building blocks perhaps cartons full of rubbish?. House might smell after bit mind!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Clever haha. Concrete, new building blocks perhaps cartons full of rubbish?. House might smell after bit mind!.

If he means the plastic ones, they would reseal perfectly ;) and see this..

http://www.instructables.com/id/New-Innovation-in-Construction-using-Waste-Plastic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You are mistaking being frugal with being stingy.

That's almost €400 a year saved if hes having 3 cups a day in work.

2 a day would be the max you could have in the canteen (refills are free), break and lunch. This dude is just stingy, he left our local running club because he thought the €25 a year fee was too expensive. I don't mind him making his own cup of tea, other people get free boiling water and add a green tea bag. It's the fact that he does it on the 3rd floor then walks the cup down to the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

elvis83 wrote: »

I had a workmate like that. We also played for the same football team. I mightn't have been out with him for two months but he would still be continuing the same round. In fairness he might say it was his round so it was more OCD than stingy but still disquieting nonetheless.

The same fella would also limit the amount of cash he was carrying in case he went mad. This often meant multiple trips to the ATM if the night was developing into a late one. I remember him going to the ATM three different times on the same night. My other friends would be staring at him open mouthed at he announced he was off to the ATM again and then glaring at me for bringing him along. I used to just crack up laughing but he developed a reputation among my other friends for being stingy that wasn't really correct. Freaky maybe, but not stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

HelgaWard wrote: »
    2 a day would be the max you could have in the canteen (refills are free), break and lunch. This dude is just stingy, he left our local running club because he thought the €25 a year fee was too expensive. I don't mind him making his own cup of tea, other people get free boiling water and add a green tea bag. It's the fact that he does it on the 3rd floor then walks the cup down to the canteen.

If there's free boiling water available is he stingey or just a bit stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

OhHiMark wrote: »
    If there's free boiling water available is he stingey or just a bit stupid?

Possibly both!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

John_D80 wrote: »
    I think because he made a big show of reminding his co-drinkers that he bought the last round on a previous session.

Only a stinge would keep track of things like that and carry it over to a whole new night out a full week later.

Yeah exactly, it was his quite amazing ability to keep track of rounds between nights out that was the kicker. And if it was only that I'd say it was just an oddity, but there were tons of examples... Never putting in for taxis, etc.

Like I said, we called him on it and he's behaved alot better since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Conspectus wrote: »
    For anyone interested the ranting & Raving forum has a brilliant thread about retail. On gaining access to that forum I spent 6 hours reading every post.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057757954
    Apply here for access. Read the first post before requesting

CRITERIA FOR ACCESS
    A minimum of 50 posts on boards.ie
    A minimum of 3 months on boards.ie
    A relatively clean record (this is at the mods discretion)

Subscribers bypass the time and postcount restrictions (please mention in your request if you are a subscriber). Please note that the moderators decision is final with respect to access.

I have access but I can't find the forum or the thread? I find Boards.ie very hard to navigate and I use it a lot. I tried looking up R&R in the A-Z but no luck. What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Access to R&R if you please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

happyday wrote: »
    I have access but I can't find the forum or the thread? I find Boards.ie very hard to navigate and I use it a lot. I tried looking up R&R in the A-Z but no luck. What am I doing wrong?

You'll have been given a link in the PM you were sent, no? Click on it and then save the R&R forum by clicking on the follow tab on the top left hand corner. That way it will always be in your drop down box under your name in followed threads. You also have a click option if you do/ do not want to received email notifications for every new post.

No need to reply on a thread to get linked into it, just use the follow tab on top of any thread that way all the threads you're interested in are there for you to access in your drop down box. I don't navigate boards as such but keep linked into all the threads I want to see/read.. unless I want to have a peek at other topics then I go for wee stroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Topics > Social and Fun > R&R

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hi

The first PM you were sent has a link to the forum, and the second has instructions on how to add it to your list of followed forums so it's easy to find.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Advertisement