Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Parkman77

A group of my friends and myself (4 or 5 of us) used to go out drinking most Saturday nights back in the day.
    We’d all walk down the Main Street heading for the first pub of the night.
    The stinge would always be the first to the pub, so he could open the door and leave everyone else in ahead of him. Which meant of course he’d be the last to the bar, avoiding having to buy the first round. Knowing full well that if he did this a couple of times for each different pub that we went to, that he would have missed out on buying at least one round over the course of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Charity cake sale in work this morning. I was that annoying prick going around with a bucket asking for money. One guy says he's got no change so he'll give it a miss. Grand.

Walked away from my desk (where the cakes are) to go to the toilet but forgot something so turned back. Above guy at my desk helping himself to cakes. I asked him what he was doing and he said he just wanted a little taste.

Absolute sleevenne going to my desk when I wasn't there to take some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Charity cake sale in work this morning. I was that annoying prick going around with a bucket asking for money. One guy says he's got no change so he'll give it a miss. Grand.

Walked away from my desk (where the cakes are) to go to the toilet but forgot something so turned back. Above guy at my desk helping himself to cakes. I asked him what he was doing and he said he just wanted a little taste.

Absolute sleevenne going to my desk when I wasn't there to take some.

hope you made him pay DOUBLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Great thread. Took a while to catch-up, but not bad when you just focus on the most thanked.

First off, to those moaning and bitching about rounds; get a life. You don't have to be involved, simple matter of choice. 6 of us regularly meet up and it makes sense to have one at the bar, pay for all together, rather than 6 of us individually stuck at the bar. Early days we'd a 7th, but he'd always go straight to the toilet upon arrival (missed the first round) and then as we'd near the end of the pint, he'd go again. Typical of the stuff he'd often do; so told him to cop on or f-off (friends don't try sponge off you like that - and it wasn't for him lacking the money).

Onto the stinge. First up, it's more sad than stinge. When I was young, we'd a neighbour who wouldn't spend a penny if he could avoid it. Would get the previous days paper (when the newsagent would have the top cut off for return), would free wheel down from the church (hill was ~1km downwards) but would bomb it (dangerously) to have enough speed to last the last bit (~300m) which was flat, would go to mass late to avoid the collection, only visited others peoples house (typically at lunch time for the bit of free grub) and always has his place locked up to avoid visitors, lived in a kip with no heating and he'd rarely light the fire,....................died alone and left 400k in his will to some sister abroad. What a terrible way to live you life.

Worked in a bar for a while. Guy came up with a £20 stuck onto his forehead. Ordered a few drinks. Took down the £20 while I was getting the drinks. Then gave me a tenner. Gave him his change.
    "I gave you a £20".
    "No you didn't".
    "Yeah, I did".
    No you didn't".
    He gets irate.
    I get the manager.
    "I gave this guy a £20, I was messing with it on a my forehead, and now he's calling me a liar".
    Manager: "Well, we have CCTV on the bar and tills, I'll go check".
    He moves off.

When the Jack Lunch tunnel opened up, the dignitaries went to the bar I worked in for a few drinks afterwards. Couple came up to the bar (well to do folks). He asks for a brandy and a G&T. Asks how much, told him it was a free bar. His eyes lit up, "make those doubles and I'll take one of the cigars". He was up to the bar 3 times for the same round during the 1hr free bar.

Was at a going away meal for a work colleague. 8 of us. 3 of them were on rum and coke for the night (must of had about 6 or 7 each), the rest of us were driving (work the next day). The bill comes, and one of the rum drinkers says "lets split it evenly". I could see the eyes on those who didn't drink. Told him it's probably best to remove the drinks, then split it. He was a bit startled and then agreed. Not sure if he was too dumb to know what he was doing, or trying to be smart. But you need to step on the a-holes who try it.

Finally, I knew a girl (lived with her and a few others) who was ridiculously tight with money. We'd to chase her for her part of the kitty for house hold stuff (toilet paper, dish washer liquid, etc...) as she'd repeatedly avoided it. Again, a case of stinge than a lack of money. One of the others saw her take potato peelings out of the bin to fry them up. I applaud not wasting food; but she waited for them to hit the bin and then slyly take them out rather than ask. She'd no lack of money, a new expensive bag each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antrim14

I lived in a house share for six months in 2016 with three other people. Two of them were completely fine but the other was a tight git.

Everyone had their own cupboard in the kitchen and shelf in the fridge but I soon noticed things going missing - tebags, biscuits, milk, bread etc. I had my suspicions but I could never catch the stinge on. He must have been getting up during the night (his room was right next to the kitchen so would not have been too hard). After a few weeks I got myself a mini fridge from Argos and just kept most things in my room. The other two did pretty much did the same.

On Mayday of that year he came back to the house in the afternoon with a massive rucksack full of water bottles, bananas and those energy gels that long distance runners use. It turns out that one of the water stations for the Belfast Marathon close to our house and he brazenly went and had his fill of whatever was left after the main group of runners had passed, and apparently this was not the first year he had done this! He had absolutely no shame whatsoever and was actually proud that he managed to get such a big haul.

He was the classic stinge, the food that he did buy was all reduced and, often enough, past its sell by date. He was one of those people that would rather use something that had gone off rather than throw it out. I'm really surprised he never gave himself food poisoning with the amount of out of date Tesco chicken he cooked with. I'm not just talking a day or two out of date, sometimes a week or more! I remember seeing carrots in the fridge that were no joke six weeks past their sell by date and covered in black and blue marks. I asked Stinge did he want to throw them out and he proceeded to cut the black and blue parts off, and proceed to make his dinner with them. He wore the same rotation of faded shirts, trousers and scuffed shoes to work every day and the same jeans and t shirt every single weekend so I'm convinced buying new clothes was totally out of the question for him.

It's not as if has was poor or anything, he had a good job as a Management Accountant in the Civil Service. I also work in the public sector and the pay scales are all publicised - he is on at least £38k a year. The landlord was charging £300 a month for rent and bills (great for Central Belfast), he didn't drive a car, didn't have a girlfriend, kids or dependent relatives, cycled to work, didn't drink or go out and didn't go on any holidays. His disposable income had to have been enormous! I think he will be one of those people who dies and leaves a huge amount of savings. Could never enjoy their money while alive - what's the point??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

This stinge I used to work with found out that a local pub used to dump most of the lunchtime food it didn't sell at 4.30 most evenings. So he used to skive off saying he was going to the dump and would be 30 minutes gone.
    One day one of the lads who was on a day off saw him in said pub gorging himself one evening on leftover sausages, burgers and chips. He stayed out of sight until the stinge left to go back to work and found out from the barman that "Ah yeah, yer man comes in here most evenings and asks for any leftovers from lunchtime. I'm fed up with him as he never buys anything and even asks for a glass of water with ice! Tomorrow I'm going to add some Senekot [a strong laxative] and see if he comes back".
    He didn't. I remember the day he returned to work about 3 days later. "Fock's sake lads, I'm not going back to that place any more, not even for a few Britney Spears [beers] the food there is shyte, gave me the fockin' gallops for 2 days!"

antrim14 wrote: »
    I lived in a house share for six months in 2016 with three other people. Two of them were completely fine but the other was a tight git.
    He was the classic stinge, the food that he did buy was all reduced and, often enough, past its sell by date. He was one of those people that would rather use something that had gone off rather than throw it out. I'm really surprised he never gave himself food poisoning with the amount of out of date Tesco chicken he cooked with. I'm not just talking a day or two out of date, sometimes a week or more! I remember seeing carrots in the fridge that were no joke six weeks past their sell by date and covered in black and blue marks. I asked Stinge did he want to throw them out and he proceeded to cut the black and blue parts off, and proceed to make his dinner with them. He wore the same rotation of faded shirts, trousers and scuffed shoes to work every day and the same jeans and t shirt every single weekend so I'm convinced buying new clothes was totally out of the question for him.

small point; tesco etc are not allowed to sell out of date food... I buy reduced so know these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Graces7 wrote: »

small point; tesco etc are not allowed to sell out of date food... I buy reduced so know these things

No stores are allowed to sell food beyond it's expiry date (best before is a different matter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He was the classic stinge, the food that he did buy was all reduced and, often enough, past its sell by date. He was one of those people that would rather use something that had gone off rather than throw it out. I'm really surprised he never gave himself food poisoning with the amount of out of date Tesco chicken he cooked with. I'm not just talking a day or two out of date, sometimes a week or more! I remember seeing carrots in the fridge that were no joke six weeks past their sell by date and covered in black and blue marks. I asked Stinge did he want to throw them out and he proceeded to cut the black and blue parts off, and proceed to make his dinner with them.

45% of all food produced never makes it to a plate. (54% in case of bread). To be fair to the stinge, a lot of us would be better off to not be so precious when it comes to food best before dates. 100 years ago there weren't even refrigerators and food production and consumption still happened. Nowadays, we should not be wasting so much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lots of places donate leftover food to soup kitchens and places like that - much much better than dumping it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'd be prone to cooking and eating food slightly gone past the use by date myself. If it smells and looks fine I just plough on. Wasted food just pisses me off too much to just throw it in the bin.

45% of all food produced never makes it to a plate. (54% in case of bread). To be fair to the stinge, a lot of us would be better off to not be so precious when it comes to food best before dates. 100 years ago there weren't even refrigerators and food production and consumption still happened. Nowadays, we should not be wasting so much.

So did food poisoning in all its nasty forms..

Our local tesco donates its spare to V De P for meals and the food banks. Not meat etc but bread and other less perishable food that carries far less risk.

The poster we challenged was saying that tesco was selling out of date chickenl.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'd be prone to cooking and eating food slightly gone past the use by date myself. If it smells and looks fine I just plough on. Wasted food just pisses me off too much to just throw it in the bin.

Yep but if you got it wrong? If if it is meat etc? risky,

New Home wrote: »
    Lots of places donate leftover food to soup kitchens and places like that - much much better than dumping it!

Tesco Ballina give alot to V de Paul. If you go into the V de Shop they have a shelf with wrapped rolls, packets of biscuits, bananas etc and you can just take it. Ad they give to the Food Bank.

We are getting better at this thankfully.

But not meat etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

I do too , with the exception of chicken or mince . They are too risky for me . Every thursday or friday I raid the leftovers in the fridge and make an omelette . Last week we had an omlette with beans , a bit of white pudding , a few slices of salami and the last scraps of red peppers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,227 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Last week we had an omlette with beans , a bit of white pudding , a few slices of salami and the last scraps of red peppers !

No just no.

To thine own self be true

No just no.

It tastes like a good aul fry up ! Yummy

I do too , with the exception of chicken or mince . They are too risky for me . Every thursday or friday I raid the leftovers in the fridge and make an omelette . Last week we had an omlette with beans , a bit of white pudding , a few slices of salami and the last scraps of red peppers !

Agree totally.. And the dog loves what I refuse..

some folk see frugality as stingieness.

"Stingiest thing's thread"
    Less omlettes, more stinginess.

• Advertisement

"Stingiest thing's thread"
    Less omlettes, more stinginess.

I will post my omlette recipies every Thursday just to annoy you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Donal Skehan was touting an, Irish omelette with pudding, I seem to remember.

Little slivers of red peppers, diamond shaped, add a lot of flavour, about the only thing out of sorts is the beans, but quite a few British folk would consider peas a valid Omelette ingredient, so..

Amalgam wrote: »
    Donal Skehan was touting an, Irish omelette with pudding, I seem to remember.

Little slivers of red peppers, diamond shaped, add a lot of flavour, about the only thing out of sorts is the beans, but quite a few British folk would consider peas a valid Omelette ingredient, so..
    The beans were actually really nice in it !! Ha Donal Skehan could have asked me about an Irish fry omlette !

It's the "Stingiest thing's thread" for a reason. I search elsewhere for omelette recipes.
    But keep it to once a week, and you have a deal!
    Now, more stinge please!

Told the misses of the thread.
    Said she'd a coworker at one stage that was seen to pick up cigarette butts and pocket them. She was always the last to leave the smoking area. Not a case of saving money either (but she did have poor hygiene in general as well).

It's the "Stingiest thing's thread" for a reason. I search elsewhere for omelette recipes.
    But keep it to once a week, and you have a deal!
    Now, more stinge please!

Told the misses of the thread.
    Said she'd a coworker at one stage that was seen to pick up cigarette butts and pocket them. She was always the last to leave the smoking area. Not a case of saving money either (but she did have poor hygiene in general as well).

Are you a mod or just very cranky ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Are you a mod or just very cranky ?

Neither, he's just pointing out that you're dragging the thread off topic talking about f*cking omelettes!

Great thread. Took a while to catch-up, but not bad when you just focus on the most thanked.

Finally, I knew a girl (lived with her and a few others) who was ridiculously tight with money. We'd to chase her for her part of the kitty for house hold stuff (toilet paper, dish washer liquid, etc...) as she'd rep

Again, a case of stinge than a lack of money. One of the others saw her take potato peelings out of the bin to fry them up. I applaud not wasting food; but she waited for them to hit the bin and then slyly take them out rather than ask. She'd no lack of money, a new expensive bag each month.

Never tried fried potato peel...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ye theres probably a reason for that:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

You're like a magpie Grace, distracted by each shiny new post :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: No Stinge story - No Post