Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sorr
    You're like a magpie Grace, distracted by each shiny new post :pac:

Yep; constant sense of wonder and joy; especially f t saves money which is what stingy is all about at base,
    And we eat potatoes in jackets...sorry mod! We got a little carried away..

Stinge? let me think...hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I worked with a chef in the uk who after baking potatoes for fish cakes would deep fry the skins and serve them to staff for their dinner, they were edible but not exactly pleasant. The same guy had to be pulled aside by a manager for trying to serve chickpeas for every meal as they were the cheapest protein food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Parkman77 wrote: »
    A group of my friends and myself (4 or 5 of us) used to go out drinking most Saturday nights back in the day.
    We’d all walk down the Main Street heading for the first pub of the night.
    The stinge would always be the first to the pub, so he could open the door and leave everyone else in ahead of him. Which meant of course he’d be the last to the bar, avoiding having to buy the first round. Knowing full well that if he did this a couple of times for each different pub that we went to, that he would have missed out on buying at least one round over the course of the night.

Reminds me of a saying my father often used to describe someone who was tight. Not sure if it is common as I never heard anyone else say it.

"He's last into a bar and first onto a bus"

Meaning, the last person into the bar would not have to buy the round and, in the old days of bus conductors with ticket machines, the first person onto the bus would be sitting in at the window and, apparently, the person on the end, nearest the conductor would often just say "Three, please" and pay for everyone... I still use it, even though it no longer makes sense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The worst type of stinges are the ones who try to make others out as stinges in order to swindle a bit of money.

Stingy cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antrim14

kingtut;106764731
    Graces7 wrote: »
    antrim14 wrote: »
    small point; tesco etc are not allowed to sell out of date food... I buy reduced so know these things
    No stores are allowed to sell food beyond it's expiry date (best before is a different matter).
    Sorry, what I meant to say that it would still be in date when he bought it but would often allow it to sit in the fridge for days/weeks at a time before using it when it was well past the sell by date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

There was an English magazine article a few years ago about this sap who used to wait until just before closing time at his local supermarket (Sainsbury's, I think) on a Saturday and buy the bread, cakes and some other perishables which would be half price about an hour before closing time. He was quite well off, but wouldn't dream of spending the extra money, and would freeze the bread and use it during the week, only taking out and defrosting what he estimated he and his family would need for that particular day.
    His children used to love Kellogg's corn flakes but when he took over control of the shopping from his wife he always bought the supermarket's own brand even though the children hated it. He said, "Corn flakes are corn flakes, and besides the own brand are only half price!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Count Down wrote: »
    His children used to love Kellogg's corn flakes but when he took over control of the shopping from his wife he always bought the supermarket's own brand even though the children hated it. He said, "Corn flakes are corn flakes, and besides the own brand are only half price!"

This makes perfect sense. His biggest mistake was not putting the own brand cornflakes into a kelloggs box, and the kids would've never noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Sorry for the off topic, if there is anything I can't substitute for it's kellogs, I've never found another brand of corn flakes that taste the same. I think its the crunch, most store brands taste like rubber in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Quazzie wrote: »
    This makes perfect sense. His biggest mistake was not putting the own brand cornflakes into a kelloggs box, and the kids would've never noticed.

He did, and they noticed straight away! He made them finish the box before he reluctantly agreed to revert back to Kellogg's!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Folks - We are repeatedly going off topic. If you would like to have a discussion about Corn Flakes, by all means open a thread on the subject in the appropriate forum as it's not really a discussion for the Stingiest things thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There was an English magazine article a few years ago about this sap who used to wait until just before closing time at his local supermarket (Sainsbury's, I think) on a Saturday and buy the bread, cakes and some other perishables which would be half price about an hour before closing time. He was quite well off, but wouldn't dream of spending the extra money, and would freeze the bread and use it during the week, only taking out and defrosting what he estimated he and his family would need for that particular day.

That still happens, have you ever seen the freeding frenzy in supermarkets when lads put out the repriced soon to expire stock? It would make piranhas take a long look at themselves.

I was on the tram to work today, it's £3.20 for a day return. Some fella had a ticket from Friday, said he bought two by accident and tried to use it, the inspector wasn't having any of it. The guy gave himself away with the line "I've been trying to use it for the last 20 mins" as he was asked to leave. The Inspector radio'd in that the guy was at Stop X, we heard the reply come back saying "he's been trying that for the last hour", no way was he getting away with it.

In fairness to them, the same thing happened to me I'd bought 2 returns on Friday by accident tried my luck on the Saturday and they let me away with it, I guess they thought Monday was pushing his luck a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

razorblunt wrote: »
    That still happens, have you ever seen the freeding frenzy in supermarkets when lads put out the repriced soon to expire stock? It would make piranhas take a long look at themselves.

My younger sister worked in Tesco when she was in college, she had to do price reductions on chilled food in the evenings and would need somebody to block of the aisle while doing it as people would barge and push to get stuff :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

mloc123 wrote: »
    My younger sister worked in Tesco when she was in college, she had to do price reductions on chilled food in the evenings and would need somebody to block of the aisle while doing it as people would barge and push to get stuff :confused:

Yeah I work with a guy who works in Tesco at the weekends. He said people act like animals when they're reducing stuff. All for 20p off something. He said he constantly has to tell people to stop pushing and shoving at him or he'll just take the whole trolley away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

There was an English magazine article a few years ago about this sap who used to wait until just before closing time at his local supermarket (Sainsbury's, I think) on a Saturday and buy the bread, cakes and some other perishables which would be half price about an hour before closing time.

When I was working in Derry, I lived quite close to a Sainsburys and used to get cooked chickens that way. Think they used to cost 25p or so. Otherwise they'd be thrown out. Two lunches and a dinner for 25p was bloody good value!

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah I work with a guy who works in Tesco at the weekends. He said people act like animals when they're reducing stuff. All for 20p off something. He said he constantly has to tell people to stop pushing and shoving at him or he'll just take the whole trolley away.

Vultures!

Although to be fair, in the last reductions, around 6 pm, they sell for less than half price. and also to be fair many these days are in dire need and using Food Banks

Tesco have 3 reductions each day.... early, then noon then 6 pm.

But no excuse for bad manners

FanadMan wrote: »
    When I was working in Derry, I lived quite close to a Sainsburys and used to get cooked chickens that way. Think they used to cost 25p or so. Otherwise they'd be thrown out. Two lunches and a dinner for 25p was bloody good value!

Wonderful and if that is stingy then stinge I am.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

Enough of the I’m not stingy I’m frugal happy clappy pat myself on the back stuff

Less whinge more stinge

wally79 wrote: »
    Enough of the I’m not stingy I’m frugal happy clappy pat myself on the back stuff

Less whinge more stinge

But.. but... but! Who defines it?

Your stinge IS my frugal often..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Wally79 and Graces7- 24 hour thread ban. Reason-backseat modding and off topic respectively.

Now for everyone else. Stinge please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'd often walk an hour home from work on dry days to save the 2.50 bus fare. How's that for stinge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ah you can find some great bargains in the reduced section in Tesco though, got my favourite 'Chef' ketchup for €0.50 the other day instead of like €3 cause the top was broken off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

And sometimes when I'm broke and going out for lunch I'll grab a couple of drinks for €1.50 in Dealz instead of paying €2.50 each or whatever in a pub....stinge much? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Stingy story...Just been on a business trip and claimed for the cost of lugagge that i bought for it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Non stinge posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Most of what people call stinge in this thread i'd call not bein a mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Stingy story...Just been on a business trip and claimed for the cost of lugagge that i bought for it :P

You really shouldn't do that. It ruins it for everybody else when somebody acts the maggot on their expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Greybottle wrote: »
    No, he doesn't have to pay for them. We pay for them through all sorts of taxes.

Its something that seriously pisses me off. North Inner City where I live is rife with that. People dumping bags beside overflowing bins. Seagulls rip them apart and it blows everywhere. The place is a Fcuking tip.

I agree, we called him out on it a few times but he said "hey it's there to be taken advantage of, you'd do the same"

He's to become a Dad soon, it'll be interesting to see how he'll get rid of nappies if he continues to live there. I thought he was frugal before, the next few months/years will be interesting if he continues living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

We have a friend we have known for a long time. Over the last year or two we have noticed a change in him which at first we tried to shake off as it didn’t make much sense.. but then, slowly but surely, we realised he had become a manipulating user and a stinge.

If he drops in and ends up staying long enough and we cook food, he will take our offer of food with a clear attitude that he is doing us a favour by eating a cooked meal.

"Ah, well, wouldn’t want you to throw it away if there’s plenty”

“I won’t disappoint you and say no, even if I have to be going soon”

"I’ll have a little so as not to be rude, but then I have to go”

"I’ll not hurt your feelings by saying no, hahaha"

He has done this quite a few times with rushed sentences like above, but then, quick as a flash, he is deep in another subject, subtly done too so we never really noticed until it happened quite a number of times. Easy to eat a meal by happening to just be there and then you do not have bring wine or dessert or gift for the kids, etc. Anytime we were all out in a group, he would put his hand in his pocket less and less, eventually meaning we all paid more for the drinks than he did.

But the straw that broke the camel’s back, was his prolonged pretense at being ill. Ended up at our place a lot because we were manipulated into feeling sorry for him - an injury with his leg meant he was in pain, couldn’t get around very well after a stint in hospital. One time when he was at ours, I happened to walk in on him in mid-flow conversation on the phone when he thought I was out getting something from the car. He was walking normally up and down the room with a light skip to his step and full of high spirits having a good chat with someone. I left the room, went into the kitchen to check the dinner and said nothing. He was soon back to grimacing and painful oohs and ahhs over dinner and left the house with his limp on show.

We are polite and friendly to him when we see him, but no longer have him over to the house and mostly avoid him. Why on earth would you go to the bother of milking it, manipulating friends to that extent, all for what, a free meal and a drink. We would never begrudge a friend a meal or a drink. It takes all sorts.. and some folks are just selfish, manipulative and twisted in their thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    We have a friend we have known for a long time. Over the last year or two we have noticed a change in him which at first we tried to shake off as it didn’t make much sense.. but then, slowly but surely, we realised he had become a manipulating user and a stinge.

If he drops in and ends up staying long enough and we cook food, he will take our offer of food with a clear attitude that he is doing us a favour by eating a cooked meal.

"Ah, well, wouldn’t want you to throw it away if there’s plenty”

“I won’t disappoint you and say no, even if I have to be going soon”

"I’ll have a little so as not to be rude, but then I have to go”

"I’ll not hurt your feelings by saying no, hahaha"

He has done this quite a few times with rushed sentences like above, but then, quick as a flash, he is deep in another subject, subtly done too so we never really noticed until it happened quite a number of times. Easy to eat a meal by happening to just be there and then you do not have bring wine or dessert or gift for the kids, etc. Anytime we were all out in a group, he would put his hand in his pocket less and less, eventually meaning we all paid more for the drinks than he did.

But the straw that broke the camel’s back, was his prolonged pretense at being ill. Ended up at our place a lot because we were manipulated into feeling sorry for him - an injury with his leg meant he was in pain, couldn’t get around very well after a stint in hospital. One time when he was at ours, I happened to walk in on him in mid-flow conversation on the phone when he thought I was out getting something from the car. He was walking normally up and down the room with a light skip to his step and full of high spirits having a good chat with someone. I left the room, went into the kitchen to check the dinner and said nothing. He was soon back to grimacing and painful oohs and ahhs over dinner and left the house with his limp on show.

We are polite and friendly to him when we see him, but no longer have him over to the house and mostly avoid him. Why on earth would you go to the bother of milking it, manipulating friends to that extent, all for what, a free meal and a drink. We would never begrudge a friend a meal or a drink. It takes all sorts.. and some folks are just selfish, manipulative and twisted in their thinking.

Or he's recently fallen on hard times and is embarrassed to tell anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Or he's recently fallen on hard times and is embarrassed to tell anyone.

Considering he bought himself an expensive lovely-looking new racing motorbike last year, I don't think so.

Advertisement