Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If it's a public estate then it's pretty stingy of the Council not to cut the grass themselves, as they're being paid in the LPT to do so! If it's a private estate then the management fees should cover it. Nobody should have to pay extra for grass being cut!

It's typical in this country. Another one which bugs me is schools relying on "voluntary" contributions from parents for our children's "free education". I don't blame the schools themselves, as some struggle to even pay the bare necessities, but our taxes should cover all essentials in schools, and by parents dipping in to their own pockets we're absolving the government of their responsibility to provide what's required instead. I'm not sure if it's stinginess or incompetence that results in not enough money going where it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

quickbeam wrote: »
    If it's a public estate then it's pretty stingy of the Council not to cut the grass themselves, as they're being paid in the LPT to do so! If it's a private estate then the management fees should cover it. Nobody should have to pay extra for grass being cut!

We have quite a large patch of land in front of the estate that belongs to the council, the estate is partly council owned. Since I'm living here the grass was cut once and it's more than overdue at the moment. Luckily a few members of the local Tidy town volunteer to do that with their own time and money.
    It's so annoying really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    A woman came into my work place a couple of days ago asking if she could leave one of those charity boxes with the sweets. I felt bad saying no as it was for a good cause (childline) but I didn't want to be responsible for it as I just knew that people would end up stealing from it and I would get the blame.

I didn't feel bad saying no at all when our guy came around asking if he could leave a box in reception, I knew full well it was a recipe for disaster. He kept asking and I relented with the very clear instruction that the first time he complains to me about it being short money will be followed by the box going in the bin.

Its been there a few years now, they must be making some profit out of it despite the rampant theft. And it goes without saying that the guy in our company most notorious for brazenly taking bars but never paying? One of the company directors, a fat **** who couldn't spend all of his money if he tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I didn't feel bad saying no at all when our guy came around asking if he could leave a box in reception, I knew full well it was a recipe for disaster. He kept asking and I relented with the very clear instruction that the first time he complains to me about it being short money will be followed by the box going in the bin.

Its been there a few years now, they must be making some profit out of it despite the rampant theft. And it goes without saying that the guy in our company most notorious for brazenly taking bars but never paying? One of the company directors, a fat **** who couldn't spend all of his money if he tried.

It’s nearly always a fat **** who’s the greedy bastard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

There’s someone over on reddit asking for a student to sign them up for the student deal on Vodafone!

• Advertisement

Stingy bride I told about a few weeks ago is getting married today. Since she didn't bother sorting breakfast out for her bridal party (they have 9 adults in the house today plus 2 kids) and the maids were staying at her place overnight, I felt so sorry for them and went shopping with one of them, got up at 7 to make them all a proper nice breakfast that she then took over.
    When she picked it up she told me there wasn't even milk or biscuits in the house and they had to go to the elderly neighbours to ask for some.

I feel pretty sorry for the bridesmaids in general, they were asked two days ago to split the travel costs evenly between all of them after paying for their whole beauty treatments on her own and they had no real choice really than taking it because they're all so busy.
    Their whole outfits with everything together are awful and cheap, the dresses are the cheapest around and are so unflattering, especially on the curvier ones and one of them really broke down in tears and they tried to sort her another one out from ASOS sale, which was a bodycon thing and she would have looked even worse in that. Bride has no consciousness to make her party feel comfortable whatsoever.

I'm not involved into the whole thing whatsoever, don't know the bride too well, but we'll see how the day goes but Drama is already predicted. I hope for everyone going they'll have a lovely day and may the marriage last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,106 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

crazyderk wrote: »
    There’s someone over on reddit asking for a student to sign them up for the student deal on Vodafone!

Send them here, you can signup with a Facebook account of 'student age'...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102848875

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Send them here, you can signup with a Facebook account of 'student age'...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102848875

You don't need to be a student as it's now the data user plan but you have to be porting your number from another provider..

Check it out on Vodafone forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

quickbeam wrote: »

It's typical in this country. Another one which bugs me is schools relying on "voluntary" contributions from parents for our children's "free education". I don't blame the schools themselves, as some struggle to even pay the bare necessities, but our taxes should cover all essentials in schools, and by parents dipping in to their own pockets we're absolving the government of their responsibility to provide what's required instead. I'm not sure if it's stinginess or incompetence that results in not enough money going where it should.

Maybe they think that we will only value something if we pay for it directly and "voluntarily"? Same as 2nd and 3rd collections at Mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I'll fill you in,

We had collections of Approx €2400 with maybe another 2-300 coming later.
    The quotes we received to get the grass cut ranged from 3500->4500.

So, the only option was to buy our own mower as we couldn't afford that, Which will need to be operated by volunteers willing to give up their Saturday/Sunday to cut the grass. Let alone look after the flower beds, etc.

It's also quintessentially Irish to expect some other chump to pay/do the work.

€40 to have the place looking well and to not have to lift a finger? You couldn't have it better.

Believe me, I know all about Residents' Associations and Maintenance Companies. RAs are generally populated by control freaks, busy c*nts and "martyrs" who genuinely think the world would stop revolving without them.

Despite what you seem to think, nobody has the right to put their hand in your pocket and spend your money on your behalf...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

LirW wrote: »
    Stingy bride I told about a few weeks ago is getting married today. Since she didn't bother sorting breakfast out for her bridal party (they have 9 adults in the house today plus 2 kids) and the maids were staying at her place overnight, I felt so sorry for them and went shopping with one of them, got up at 7 to make them all a proper nice breakfast that she then took over.
    When she picked it up she told me there wasn't even milk or biscuits in the house and they had to go to the elderly neighbours to ask for some.

I feel pretty sorry for the bridesmaids in general, they were asked two days ago to split the travel costs evenly between all of them after paying for their whole beauty treatments on her own and they had no real choice really than taking it because they're all so busy.
    Their whole outfits with everything together are awful and cheap, the dresses are the cheapest around and are so unflattering, especially on the curvier ones and one of them really broke down in tears and they tried to sort her another one out from ASOS sale, which was a bodycon thing and she would have looked even worse in that. Bride has no consciousness to make her party feel comfortable whatsoever.

I'm not involved into the whole thing whatsoever, don't know the bride too well, but we'll see how the day goes but Drama is already predicted. I hope for everyone going they'll have a lovely day and may the marriage last!

No you don't :D :pac: :D :pac:

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    No you don't :D :pac: :D :pac:

:D

Nah, I really hope it turns out to be a nice day, it's ideally a once in a lifetime thing and you want it to be perfect. Still don't need to be a fan of hers.

Haven't heard anything back yet though so I assume there are no casualties as of yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I was talking to my Mother this weekend and she was telling me about a local cat that, over the last couple of months, has started to visit her. He looks for and is given some grub or milk, he might then have a snooze by the stove only to wander off out the door after an hour or so. The thing is, she recently found out from another woman down the road, the very same cat has been visiting a couple more houses round their way. The same carry-on, sometimes given food or milk, sleeps for a spell, a cat song or two, and then off again.

She had a good laugh about it and said in a past life, he must’ve been a real scrounger. Like some old fella doing the rounds trying to get a mug of tea or a feed.

My mother now calls him the chancer.. a hairy stinge, I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Odelay

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    I was talking to my Mother this weekend and she was telling me about a local cat that, over the last couple of months, has started to visit her. He looks for and is given some grub or milk, he might then have a snooze by the stove only to wander off out the door after an hour or so. The thing is, she recently found out from another woman down the road, the very same cat has been visiting a couple more houses round their way. The same carry-on, sometimes given food or milk, sleeps for a spell, a cat song or two, and then off again.

She had a good laugh about it and said in a past life, he must’ve been a real scrounger. Like some old fella doing the rounds trying to get a mug of tea or a feed.

My mother now calls him the chancer.. a hairy stinge, I’d say.

That's lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Liam28 wrote: »
    These honesty boxes have provided some interesting research opportunities into human behaviour.
    the higher up you are the more self entitled you feel

indications of that came from the first honesty boxes in Silicon Valley.

IMHO someone needs to do research to see if there is a correlation between taking stuff for free and CEO or VP behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

indications of that came from the first honesty boxes in Silicon Valley.

IMHO someone needs to do research to see if there is a correlation between taking stuff for free and CEO or VP behaviour.
    On phone so link might not work. If it doesn't then Google freakanomics-bagel guy
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2004/06/06/magazine/what-the-bagel-man-saw.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just seen a woman make her daughter go to the toilet on a beach against a wall instead of paying for a public toilet. (Which was within view)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just seen a woman make her daughter go to the toilet on a beach against a wall instead of paying for a public toilet. (Which was within view)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JCX BXC wrote: »

MInd you, the state of some public toilets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

JCX BXC wrote: »

Jesus. That's really taking the piss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was reading yesterday about the woman who designed Jacqueline Kennedy's wedding dress. She was hugely busy at the height of her career, with a very wealthy clientele but was virtually broke because these rich clientele would frequently lean on her to give them massive discounts. The dresses would be very intricate with expensive materials used but she was often barely paid enough to even cover the cost of the fabrics. Mad. I guess you'd wonder why she persisted but I guess that was her training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do stingy thoughts count??
    I was sitting in the car in my local town on Friday afternoon when to my horror I noticed two freshly erupted spots on my chin in the rear view mirror.
    I knew I didn't have any makeup with me (I had makeup on my face but hadn't brought any in the car bar lipstick) to dab over it.
    For a few seconds I actually debated going into a chemist to 'browse' and maybe have a try of some foundation testers while I was in there!
    It wasn't my stinge conscience that got the better of me in the end..the chemist was too far to walk to!!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I was sitting in the car in my local town on Friday afternoon when to my horror I noticed two freshly erupted spots on my chin in the rear view mirror.
    I knew I didn't have any makeup with me (I had makeup on my face but hadn't brought any in the car bar lipstick) to dab over it.
    For a few seconds I actually debated going into a chemist to 'browse' and maybe have a try of some foundation testers while I was in there!
    It wasn't my stinge conscience that got the better of me in the end..the chemist was too far to walk to!!
    Don't do it. Those testers are a breeding ground for germs and you don't know what kind of mankbag used it before you. I try testers on the back of my hand but I'd never put any of them on my face. God knows what you'd catch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I'd never put any of them on my face. God knows what you'd catch ;)

A man ? :p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Don't do it. Those testers are a breeding ground for germs and you don't know what kind of mankbag used it before you. I try testers on the back of my hand but I'd never put any of them on my face. God knows what you'd catch ;)

I'm too stingy to care about germs :p

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Woman i know, managerial job, top brand clothing and accessories, drives only mercedes with the last +10 years (for the status), drives up to the nearest McDonalds carpark for the free wifi to download her music, movies and books. Won't even buy anything from maccy d's...just sits there in her new merc, downloading. Claims she couldn't justify buying wifi because she is at work too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Is that you Rosemary MacCabe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LirW wrote: »
    :D

Nah, I really hope it turns out to be a nice day, it's ideally a once in a lifetime thing and you want it to be perfect. Still don't need to be a fan of hers.

Haven't heard anything back yet though so I assume there are no casualties as of yet!

F5 F5 F5 F5

loyatemu wrote: »
    F5 F5 F5 F5

It's done, they are married!
    All in all it seems it went well enough, just before they left it escalated a bit, bride stole the bridesmaid's phones and only handed them back after dinner because she was scared someone could post something on social media.
    Then 45 minutes before they left a hailstorm started, she threw her bouquet around because she was so angry at the weather and then decided that she doesn't want the car she hired (some tiny vintage fiat) and wants to go in the Merc for the bridesmaids, so all 5 maids had to squeeze themselves into the tiny car instead.
    Morbid amounts of alcohol, horrible hangovers.

Have seen a few pictures now on Facebook and fair play to them, they look very happy and enjoyed the day. Might will get more details soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

she spent a lot of time and money catching and neutering stray cats that were multiplying like mad in the street and nobody helped her with this.

I had a giggle fit about this for some reason. I imagined some sort of twisted Pixar movie where some witch abducts cats and the next thing they know they're waking up surrounded by their friends but their nuts are missing!

"Do NOT go near that lady!" :D

Since it's the thread for it, if you want to control the cat population, be stingy with them! Cats will have more kittens if food is plentiful. If you stop feeding the feckers some will move on and the ones left might actually catch some pests.

Advertisement