Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Is the friend training to be a SNA the same friend who drives her to the playschool?

Yes, sorry that didn't come across properly. She doesn't want to drive her but the sheer expectation that she'd do it "because she has to do the way anyway".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,488 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

LirW wrote: »
    Yes, sorry that didn't come across properly. She doesn't want to drive her but the sheer expectation that she'd do it "because she has to do the way anyway".

so it is the same friend? the same friend that she is trying to shaft?

so it is the same friend? the same friend that she is trying to shaft?

Indeed, said friend is the SNA trainee she's sh1tting all over in the same facility her daughter is signed up. And since SNA drives there everyday she can still take her daughter with her everyday instead of just learning to drive and do it herself.
    On the one hand friend isn't good enough to care for the child but on the other she's a good enough taxi service.

said friend said already no way in hell she's gonna play taxi

Indeed, said friend is the SNA trainee she's sh1tting all over in the same facility her daughter is signed up. And since SNA drives there everyday she can still take her daughter with her everyday instead of just learning to drive and do it herself.
    On the one hand friend isn't good enough to care for the child but on the other she's a good enough taxi service.

said friend said already no way in hell she's gonna play taxi

No sympathy for your friend, if she is happy to be a doormat and be taken advantage of then so be it. If she had any backbone or sense of self-worth she would just say no and get on with her life even if it meant the end to a friendship.

No sympathy for your friend, if she is happy to be a doormat and be taken advantage of then so be it. If she had any backbone or sense of self-worth she would just say no and get on with her life even if it meant the end to a friendship.

I completely agree with it and I said the same thing to her, she's not interested either in engaging with her any further. Yes, they'll see each other again when the daughter starts playschool because she works there and will be her SNA but she has no interest in playing a taxi service or being treated like muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Neyite wrote: »
    "Just ringing Mary to let you know young Picture is getting married in July. I thought I'd let you know early so you've time to get the hat! Bless them haven't they only been scrimping and saving for aaaages for their new house but sure it's only fabulous now they've it finished and moved in. They've got everything Mary! top of the range appliances and everything!! Not like us when we got married and barely a pot to our name. No, all fancy they are! Still, isn't it great and we'll see you in July, please god. Byebyebyebyebye.":P:P

Perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

I wanted to put this here to check if i'm being stingy.

So myself and my fiance are getting married in just over a year- we've moved into a new house recently and have all the necessities we need in terms of housewares, furnishings etc.

Is it pure stinginess for us to ask for a gift of cash instead? I don't even know if it would be necessary to specify as most people give cash anyway, but it's something that I feel fairly conflicted by, as I really don't wanna come across as pure stingy.

I find this to be extremely rude and offensive. We have turned down a wedding invite simply because the bride and groom had the cheek to ask for cash only, no idea who they think they are but in my opinion it is absolutely vile to tell people that they are to hand over their hard earned cash, its like charging to attend the wedding

Now that said, I have ALWAYS put cash in a card, have never ever bought somebody a wedding gift.

My advice would be please don't do this, it will turn people sour and taint your special day, and if you do happen to get 2 toasters (which i doubt as people dont do this anymore) then so be it, nobody is going to die, you will just have 2 spare toasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

So myself and my fiance are getting married in just over a year- we've moved into a new house recently and have all the necessities we need in terms of housewares, furnishings etc.

Is it pure stinginess for us to ask for a gift of cash instead? I don't even know if it would be necessary to specify as most people give cash anyway, but it's something that I feel fairly conflicted by, as I really don't wanna come across as pure stingy.
    Yeah, I'd agree with most here who say you can't be stipulating in an invite that you want cash only. In my experience, there are 2 types of people who will give gifts.....one type that want to get you something special from them to remember the day by (e.g. family members) and another type that see it as a cheaper option for them. What I mean is that if you buy something, its not always easy to tell how much you've spent on their gift, e.g. you could pick up a couple of nice bits in TK Max for next to nothing compared to what the expectation are for a cash gift these days. With cash, its clear how much you're giving, but with a present you can get away with being stingy if you really want.

When I got married, pretty much everyone gave cash. Its just the easiest option for most people who are lucky enough not to be thinking too much about the outgoings associated with a wedding.....

I think you're better off trusting that people would prefer not to worry about buying a gift and just go with the flow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's your day, if you want it, go for it.

We didn't want presents at ours, it was a small enough wedding where the people we invited were the folk we really wanted there anyway. We had our own gaff at that stage too, so we said if anyone wanted to do a gift, cash is fine.

Some folk would see vouchers as cash too, which is grand, you just have to remember you have them and use them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

In case you get a load of picture frames??

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just wondering..what might happen if in the invitations you said nothing re gifts/money?

Just left it open to the recipients/invitees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just wondering..what might happen if in the invitations you said nothing re gifts/money?

451284.png

Damn, now I want a slick toaster.

Graces7 wrote: »

You'd likely get cash
    Ask for anything and you'll get nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Look, trust me on this, you will mostly get cash gifts. Probably north of 90% will be cash. It’s not worth putting noses out of joint to try and convert a few of the handful of physical gift givers to giving you cash. Plus, some of the non-cash gifts will probably be vouchers and they can be used to treat yourself. I got some nice new polarised Ray Bans with a Brown Thomas voucher I was gifted.

So just trust that you will mostly get cash, don’t mention anything about what gifts you would like to receive and enjoy your big day! :)

Damn, now I want a slick toaster.

I actually did get a toaster. My friend who couldn’t attend asked me what I would like. I’d wanted a four slot toaster for ages so that’s what I asked her to get me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I actually did get a toaster. My friend who couldn’t attend asked me what I would like. I’d wanted a four slot toaster for ages so that’s what I asked her to get me! :)

4 slot toaster, living the dream.

I know that sounds sarcastic but it's not. I really want a 4 slot toaster.

OhHiMark wrote: »

It’s amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It’s amazing.

We have a 4 Slot toaster at home which was good in the beginning, but now with three people wanting fresh toast there is some moaning when the first couple pieces come out. Need to upgrade to a 6 slot toaster. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Moving away from talk of toasters and weddings, and getting the thread back on track.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

loyatemu wrote: »
    Argos have had their Simple Value 2 Slice Toaster on sale for a fiver in the past.

Don't ask :o

But I can remember sticking slices of bread on a toasting fork and trying to get the angle right , too close to the coal fire and it burns , too far and the bread dries out and then you'd tear the bread when you tried to remove it to do the other side :(

One stinge/frugal tip is when you have stale bread , sprinkle some water on it and stick in the microwave for a few seconds. It works a few times, until you can't convince your self it works anymore.

Anyway I knew some students who tried to stretch out the breakfast milk by adding a bit of water to it, it works for a while but at about one in ten , even students give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

OhHiMark wrote: »

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. For years I'd been hankering after a Dualit 4-slicer, but they were/are a stupid price. I lucked into a really good two-slicer with a slightly dodgy timer, for a song. 99p start and no reserve. Nobody bid on it but me, I suppose everyone thought the price of a repair would be high. Turns out the timer just needed stripped and cleaned and it works perfectly.
    99p Dualit :) For that, I can forego the four slices.

Edit / yes, it's stingy, but so what, I'm happy.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

One stinge/frugal tip is when you have stale bread , sprinkle some water on it and stick in the microwave for a few seconds. It works a few times, until you can't convince your self it works anymore.
    Put it in a clingfilm wrap first, or even just a <gasp> toasty bag (the extravagance). No more than 10 seconds, and maybe another ten. 30 is probably too much, as it goes chewy.
    Been there, lived the dream.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

But I can remember sticking slices of bread on a toasting fork and trying to get the angle right , too close to the coal fire and it burns , too far and the bread dries out and then you'd tear the bread when you tried to remove it to do the other side :(

There is an art to that. As soon as you see the bread starting to curl, take it off the fork and turn in around and toast the other side. And as soon as the other side is toasted, back to the first side. All that is needed is a warmed plate and plenty of soft butter.

Bonus tip (and my stinge - not throwing away cooked sausages) ........if you have some leftover cooked sausages, stick them on the toasting fork and reheat them on the open fire. It takes a while and there will be lots of flame flares (dripping fat from the sausages) but they are absolutely beautiful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Thank you just reserved one for pick up Monday !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The stingiest thing I've seen lately is people not sharing their stingy stories and instead posting about toasters!!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I did my shopping in Lidl during the week. I put my shopping in the car and as I was finishing, a lad came over and said "I'll save you having to bring back the trolley." I said no problem. This happens often enough.

He put his hand on the trolley as I took the last bag out, which I though was a bit forward, and started to walk away. I called him back and said "do you want to give me a Euro as I've one in it?" He said "Oh I thought you'd let me keep it for saving you a job".
    I told him it didn't work like that. He then said he had no change and started to walk off. I called him back once more and said if I didn't get a trolley or a Euro, I'd follow him around the shop telling people he was a tight arse. He called me a rude name. :mad: But I got my trolley. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

The stingiest thing I've seen lately is people not sharing their stingy stories and instead posting about toasters!!

I wonder, is this still the 'stingiest thing you see stingy people do' thread? I already wrote to the mods, where this thread has gone...honestly:). They renamed it to 'stingiest things thread' and this other R&R stuff, whatever that should mean.
    I'm confused and want my 'stingiest thread you saw stingiest people do' thread back and I think many others too!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

tara73 wrote: »
    I wonder, is this still the 'stingiest thing you see stingy people do' thread? I already wrote to the mods, where this thread has gone...honestly:). They renamed it to 'stingiest things thread' and this other R&R stuff, whatever that should mean.
    I'm confused and want my 'stingiest thread you saw stingiest people do' thread back and I think many others too!!:confused:

I just don't want to hear anything more about toasters.

Advertisement