Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The Dad of a good mate of ours passed away and he was buried down the country, about 3.5 hours drive from Dublin. 3 of us (myself, "Tom" and "Paul") , and a work colleague of his ("Mike") headed down, we took my car as it's the most suitable for 4 big lads on a journexy like that.

Left Dublin at 7.30, breakfast on the way, funeral at 12, back to a pub for a buffet and headed for the big smoke after 5.00.

The intention was to get a pub about 1.5 hrs from Dublin, have some food and watch the Liverpool-Real Madrid match. Got to a nice pub, went in, I said that I'm driving so I'll stay out of the round, one of the lads (Tom) got me a pint of Bulmers.

First round drank, Paul goes for the 2nd round, asks me what I'm having, so I order a bottle of Cidona and tip it into the Bulmers, it's a "Bulmers Shandy" and something I drink in summer if I'm driving.

That was drank.

Next round, it's half time. I've 3/4 of a pint left, Tom and Paul head out for a fag, then this Mike guy turns to me and call me a "tight fisted ****" for not ordering the next round; conveniently forgetting that he hadn't ordered one himself. I told him I wasn't in the round and the other two got me a drink as I was the driver. He reluctantly got up and got 3 drinks (I didn't want one anyway).

Food was ordered, I got a bowl of chips and a portion of fish goujons as I'd just be dozy driving later, Paul had a salad, the others ordered a dinner with dessert. Tom's dessert was profiterroles, which he shared with myself and Paul.

Bill for food comes to €57, my portion was €8.50. I threw in a tenner. Mike then calls me a tight prick,as he wanted it split 4 ways at €14.25 each. No sign of a tip here. I get thick with him and tell him to go fcuk himself. He then argued as we had shared in the dessert, then we are obliged to pay 1/4 of the total. We told him what to do with himself.

Back in Dublin, dropped Paul at the Red Cow Luas, dropped Tom off at Heuston as he lives near there, both gave me cash for the petrol and tolls.

Went to drop Mike off at the Luas beside Abbey St as he lives 10 mins walk away from a stop near Dundrum and he asked me to drop him home. I said i wouldn't, as I live on the northside and was knackered and he lived on the Luas. Also a pain driving across Dublin at night.

So he said "if I have to pay for the Luas, then fcuk your petrol money".

I have what he said recorded on the dashcam.

Tight little shlt.

Never met him before yesterday, never intend to meet him again.

Greybottle wrote: »

If I was you I'd have left him at the pub after his two outbursts and not bothered to drive him the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If I was you I'd have left him at the pub after his two outbursts and not bothered to drive him the rest of the way.
    Yeah, wait till he goes to the toilet and then leggit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That would have been priceless...
    Of course you wouldn't be there to see it as you'd be gone...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

The Dad of a good mate of ours passed away and he was buried down the country, about 3.5 hours drive from Dublin. 3 of us (myself, "Tom" and "Paul") , and a work colleague of his ("Mike") headed down, we took my car as it's the most suitable for 4 big lads on a journexy like that.

Left Dublin at 7.30, breakfast on the way, funeral at 12, back to a pub for a buffet and headed for the big smoke after 5.00.

The intention was to get a pub about 1.5 hrs from Dublin, have some food and watch the Liverpool-Real Madrid match. Got to a nice pub, went in, I said that I'm driving so I'll stay out of the round, one of the lads (Tom) got me a pint of Bulmers.

First round drank, Paul goes for the 2nd round, asks me what I'm having, so I order a bottle of Cidona and tip it into the Bulmers, it's a "Bulmers Shandy" and something I drink in summer if I'm driving.

That was drank.

Next round, it's half time. I've 3/4 of a pint left, Tom and Paul head out for a fag, then this Mike guy turns to me and call me a "tight fisted ****" for not ordering the next round; conveniently forgetting that he hadn't ordered one himself. I told him I wasn't in the round and the other two got me a drink as I was the driver. He reluctantly got up and got 3 drinks (I didn't want one anyway).

Food was ordered, I got a bowl of chips and a portion of fish goujons as I'd just be dozy driving later, Paul had a salad, the others ordered a dinner with dessert. Tom's dessert was profiterroles, which he shared with myself and Paul.

Bill for food comes to €57, my portion was €8.50. I threw in a tenner. Mike then calls me a tight prick,as he wanted it split 4 ways at €14.25 each. No sign of a tip here. I get thick with him and tell him to go fcuk himself. He then argued as we had shared in the dessert, then we are obliged to pay 1/4 of the total. We told him what to do with himself.

Back in Dublin, dropped Paul at the Red Cow Luas, dropped Tom off at Heuston as he lives near there, both gave me cash for the petrol and tolls.

Went to drop Mike off at the Luas beside Abbey St as he lives 10 mins walk away from a stop near Dundrum and he asked me to drop him home. I said i wouldn't, as I live on the northside and was knackered and he lived on the Luas. Also a pain driving across Dublin at night.

Tight little shlt.

What an absolute miserable sh*t. There seems to be alot of them about though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

FanadMan wrote: »
    I just don't want to hear anything more about toasters.

My toaster is stingey!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    My toaster is stingey!

Must be a one slicer then.

Feckit........now I'm talking about them :mad: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Choking laughing here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Markcheese wrote: »
    That would have been priceless...
    Of course you wouldn't be there to see it as you'd be gone...

Imagining is MUCH better....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: May I remind you all, NO STINGE = NO POST/TOASTER DISCUSSION

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Went for a pint yesterday. Bought the first round. Fosters and a Heineken came to €6.40 . The fosters was €2.45 for the pint. A mate buys the second round, same as the first. I felt cheated out of €1.50 and thought of this thread, felt like the stingiest person :pac::(:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Where you getting fosters for 2.45 out of curiosity? That a normal price for that pis ,(which I will gladly start drinking if it costs that little)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭4Ad

That was drank.

Tight little shlt.

What a class A K##t...
    God the world is full of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Where you getting fosters for 2.45 out of curiosity? That a normal price for that pis ,(which I will gladly start drinking if it costs that little)?

The weatherspoons in blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I was at a Fosters promotion roughly 25 years ago whereby you got a voucher for each pint you bought and got a free pint with 2 vouchers. Was a slow day and the bar man didn't bother taking the vouchers off us so 8 hours or so of drinking Fosters for the price of the first 2 pints. I have never been, nor do I think I ever will be, so sick following a drinking session. It's been 25 years and I still remember not being able to hold down water for a full day, if you paid me enormous amounts of cash I would not drink that stuff again! Serves me right for stinging with the vouchers I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I remember a few years ago, Budweiser ran a promotion whereas when you downloaded their app you got a voucher for a free pint. I sat in the pub one day and downloaded the app on my phone therefore receiving my free pint. It was my local so I knew all the regular ould lads in the pub, so I went through their phones 1-by-1 and drank for the day without spending a penney :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Quazzie wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago, Budweiser ran a promotion whereas when you downloaded their app you got a voucher for a free pint. I sat in the pub one day and downloaded the app on my phone therefore receiving my free pint. It was my local so I knew all the regular ould lads in the pub, so I went through their phones 1-by-1 and drank for the day without spending a penney :D
    That's brilliant :pac:

....awaits 5 pages debating whether or not Quazzie should have given the pints to the old men...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I was at a Fosters promotion roughly 25 years ago whereby you got a voucher for each pint you bought and got a free pint with 2 vouchers. Was a slow day and the bar man didn't bother taking the vouchers off us so 8 hours or so of drinking Fosters for the price of the first 2 pints. I have never been, nor do I think I ever will be, so sick following a drinking session. It's been 25 years and I still remember not being able to hold down water for a full day, if you paid me enormous amounts of cash I would not drink that stuff again! Serves me right for stinging with the vouchers I suppose...

Years ago the bar in UCD used to have a Fosters promotion that sounds like the one you're describing - except it was 3 vouchers (Fosters dollars they were called) for a pint. I drank a lot of Fosters as a result. Couldn't look at a pint of it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

In Nenagh in the 90s Murphys used t do a similar thing. You'd get a card and when you got 3 stickers you'd get a free pint. The whole town converted from Guinness to Murphys. I used to save up a few cards with 2 stickers till I was low on funds, then I'd go out and "buy one and get one free".

Funny enough, when the promo ended the town reverted back to Guinness and after a month you couldn't get Murphys anywhere. Pity as I preferred it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's brilliant :pac:

....awaits 5 pages debating whether or not Quazzie should have given the pints to the old men...

I wonder more how the pub owners got their money back from Budweiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

tara73 wrote: »
    I wonder more how the pub owners got their money back from Budweiser.

It was a country wide promotion so every time I presented a phone he took down the voucher number into a book, then he just gave the list to Diageo and they refunded him for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

sligojoek wrote: »
    In Nenagh in the 90s Murphys used t do a similar thing. You'd get a card and when you got 3 stickers you'd get a free pint. The whole town converted from Guinness to Murphys. I used to save up a few cards with 2 stickers till I was low on funds, then I'd go out and "buy one and get one free".

Funny enough, when the promo ended the town reverted back to Guinness and after a month you couldn't get Murphys anywhere. Pity as I preferred it.

jeez, that brings back memories.
    you could get zippos and gear bags and all sorts of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Bought an mp3 for an ex as a gift, it was either Christmas or birthday.
    It was faulty so went to exchange it but they didn’t have any of the same brand, so got a similar one that ended up cheaper (he picked it out).

He then said he should get to keep the change because the initial gift was €X amount, not €Y. I said the gift was an MP3 player, not an MP3 player of a set value.

I think in my youthful naivety, I let him keep the cash.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

that mike guy should have been left at the pub on the way home, cheeky prick calling you tight two times and you driving him all around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

My wife is Spanish and we got married in her home town a couple of years ago. It was a really small event, just 11 guests. We wanted a really close wedding with just family and one or two friends.

It went on for a week and we laid on everything (including flights) for the guests. At the last minute we had a problem with one of the hotels we were going to be staying in for two nights near the end of the trip. We found an alternative hotel that we wanted everybody to stay in and we asked that they pay for that themselves as cash was tight right before the wedding. €79 euro a night for the room (not per person) No problem everybody said.

So we are in Spain and on the morning we were going to this hotel a friend of the wife says that herself and her partner were staying in another hotel. I asked why, and she says that she could not afford the hotel and they booked one a bit cheaper. She said they got one for €69 a night. Absolute stinge I thought. Both of them have well paid civil service jobs and they are splitting up the group for the sake of €20. Turns out it was the other side of the city. Imagine we were staying in Dublin city centre and they were staying in Lucan.

Best part is that we had two hire cars booked for the trip. She expected us to pick her up and drop her back each day to the hotel. I had a big barney with her and told her to get stuffed. She then asked to be let have one of the hire cars, which was not an option as she was not added as an additional driver.

Long story short, her stingyness trying to save €20 in the hotel cost her about €100 in taxis. Have not spoken to her since, the wife does but its a bit awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Tzardine wrote: »
    My wife is Spanish and we got married in her home town a couple of years ago. It was a really small event, just 11 guests. [/b{We wanted a really close wedding with just family and one or two friends.

Hmmm...🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Did you not get a refund from the hotel that had the issue and could this not have paid for the new hotel?

The rest of the story I get.

Kolido wrote: »
    Did you not get a refund from the hotel that had the issue and could this not have paid for the new hotel?

The rest of the story I get.

Unfortunately not, it was an issue on our end and so we cancelled (It was not suitable for one of the guests that is disabled). As a result we were not entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Caught the end of a stinge story on the radio: someone swaps free range and cheap eggs between boxes, so pays cheap price for 6 free range. Tough for the next customer who picks the box of free range and gets the battery farm eggs.

• Advertisement

Liam28 wrote: »
    Caught the end of a stinge story on the radio: someone swaps free range and cheap eggs between boxes, so pays cheap price for 6 free range. Tough for the next customer who picks the box of free range and gets the battery farm eggs.

Sure how would they ever know :D

Advertisement