Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Liam28 wrote: »
    Caught the end of a stinge story on the radio: someone swaps free range and cheap eggs between boxes, so pays cheap price for 6 free range. Tough for the next customer who picks the box of free range and gets the battery farm eggs.

That falls into the shoplifting bucket rather than stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quazzie wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago, Budweiser ran a promotion whereas when you downloaded their app you got a voucher for a free pint. I sat in the pub one day and downloaded the app on my phone therefore receiving my free pint. It was my local so I knew all the regular ould lads in the pub, so I went through their phones 1-by-1 and drank for the day without spending a penney :D
    Orchard Thieves did similar a while back with their app, it was so sweet I had a headache after the 3 pints and never touched it again though.

Actually that just reminded me, remember when McDonalds were doing Tastes of America a few years back and the app was doing a Christmas raffle every day, most of the prizes were crappy vouchers but there were free coffees and free burgers and meals in there aswell, someone posted a link to a hacked version of the app on here that let you choose your prize, burgers every night for 2 weeks :D

(Does anyone actually remember that McDonalds story by the way? I dont tell people about it in real life anymore because it sounds like bullsh1t)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Caught the end of a stinge story on the radio: someone swaps free range and cheap eggs between boxes, so pays cheap price for 6 free range. Tough for the next customer who picks the box of free range and gets the battery farm eggs.

Heard during the week of people at self service checkouts weighing big juicy avacados & selecting carrots on the fruit/veg menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Went for a pint yesterday. Bought the first round. Fosters and a Heineken came to €6.40 . The fosters was €2.45 for the pint. A mate buys the second round, same as the first. I felt cheated out of €1.50 and thought of this thread, felt like the stingiest person :pac::(:P

Ha ha funny story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,810 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

More like theft - in fact, it actually IS theft.
    I'd love to see some of these stinges charged and up in court for these kind of things. Might cause some of them to have a re-think.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

Loopy wrote: »
    Heard during the week of people at self service checkouts weighing big juicy avacados & selecting carrots on the fruit/veg menu.

It would be fun to hack the weighing machine to print out "Big Hairy Bollocks" on the receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Loopy wrote: »

That is theft.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Okay, not really stingy, but kind of "abusing the system" like in the drink promotion ones above.

Chef used to do these pasta pots (maybe they still do, though I haven't seen them in a while). Just add water and wait a few minutes and they were good to eat. Or at least, okay to eat, they did me for lunch anyway because I was too lazy to make anything else. They cost something like 85p per pot (pre Euro days). I was buying them anyway, but a promotion was launched to send in 5 foil tops and be given back a £5 HMV voucher. I'm not sure how it passed the marketing department head, because that surely didn't make sense. 5 foil tops would cost me 5 x 0.85 or £4.25, and even less than that going on profit margin to Chef themselves. But they were giving away £5 of vouchers, so surely somebody was losing out. It certainly wasn't me though. I bought loads, a month's worth or more, and got my voucher for each and every one. I was a CD fiend too back then, so it's not like it was for a voucher for something I wasn't going to buy anyway. I was completely delighted with my find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay, not really stingy, but kind of "abusing the system" like in the drink promotion ones above.

Chef used to do these pasta pots (maybe they still do, though I haven't seen them in a while). Just add water and wait a few minutes and they were good to eat. Or at least, okay to eat, they did me for lunch anyway because I was too lazy to make anything else. They cost something like 85p per pot (pre Euro days). I was buying them anyway, but a promotion was launched to send in 5 foil tops and be given back a £5 HMV voucher. I'm not sure how it passed the marketing department head, because that surely didn't make sense. 5 foil tops would cost me 5 x 0.85 or £4.25, and even less than that going on profit margin to Chef themselves. But they were giving away £5 of vouchers, so surely somebody was losing out. It certainly wasn't me though. I bought loads, a month's worth or more, and got my voucher for each and every one. I was a CD fiend too back then, so it's not like it was for a voucher for something I wasn't going to buy anyway. I was completely delighted with my find.

The vouchers likely cost Chef nothing or at least a hell of a lot less than a fiver.

If HMV gave the vouchers to Chef for free just for marketing then they would have had their numbers worked out that it was likely to make them more money in the long term. They might have lost out on a fiver from you if you were gonna buy a CD anyway, but a lot more people will find themselves with a voucher who then go buy something they wouldn't have otherwise bought just because they don't want to miss out on using it. Or they'll buy the thing they were gonna buy anyway from HMV when they'd usually go somewhere else.

The vouchers likely cost Chef nothing or at least a hell of a lot less than a fiver.

If HMV gave the vouchers to Chef for free just for marketing then they would have had their numbers worked out that it was likely to make them more money in the long term. They might have lost out on a fiver from you if you were gonna buy a CD anyway, but a lot more people will find themselves with a voucher who then go buy something they wouldn't have otherwise bought just because they don't want to miss out on using it. Or they'll buy the thing they were gonna buy anyway from HMV when they'd usually go somewhere else.

Don't be so sure! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_free_flights_promotion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SuperS54 wrote: »

But Pepsi didnt hand over the Harrier Jump Jet when someone acquire enough tokens :(

But Pepsi didnt hand over the Harrier Jump Jet when someone acquire enough tokens :(

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It also bit Kodak in the arse, when they offered a point and shoot digital camera for about a third of the normal retail price of a similar camera. Of course, they were swamped with orders (including mine) and they also tried to duck and dive out of it, but fair play to them, they stuck with the deal and eventually sent them out.
    I've still got mine. It still works fine, but the main use I had for it was a simple record-shot taker and nothing fancy. It's a fairly basic camera, and given Kodak's manufacturing abilities at the time, I'd be surprised if they actually lost money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    It would be fun to hack the weighing machine to print out "Big Hairy Bollocks" on the receipt.

I'm running low on those.
    Which aisle are they available on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I was at a Fosters promotion roughly 25 years ago whereby you got a voucher for each pint you bought and got a free pint with 2 vouchers. Was a slow day and the bar man didn't bother taking the vouchers off us so 8 hours or so of drinking Fosters for the price of the first 2 pints. I have never been, nor do I think I ever will be, so sick following a drinking session. It's been 25 years and I still remember not being able to hold down water for a full day, if you paid me enormous amounts of cash I would not drink that stuff again! Serves me right for stinging with the vouchers I suppose...

I honestly think that that classes as downright greed rather than stinge, :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,222 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Quazzie wrote: »
    It was a country wide promotion so every time I presented a phone he took down the voucher number into a book, then he just gave the list to Diageo and they refunded him for them.

Feckin hell - they design an app for the end customers, and their customer (the bar) has to write long numbers down in a book. Someone is missing some joined-up thinking there....

I've seen people taking the 'ready to eat' avocados out of the two-pack so that they can pay the cheaper unit price for the not-quite-ready individual avocados.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭yogmeister

Jamie_ wrote: »
    The OP used the qq Qq qq q '2' instead of 'do' to save bytes. All sounds the same...

Stingy fecker.

QqaaQqaQqaQq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

The thieving cow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

That's not stinge...that's theft. If management got word of it, she'd be out on her arse. And good riddance too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I work in a company in which I have a flexible attendance and one of my coworkers (a Polish lady) is on a contract with rigid hours. She lives near me, due to me working flexi hours we don't carpool, I otherwise would have arranged it.

At the end of the day I had forgotten about the vodca and I was out at the locker room. I saw another coworker with a bottle of Suplica under her arm. I asked her "did Agnieska get you a bottle too?" .. She shrugged "huh?" ..... I pointed to the bottle and said Agga got me one just like that .....

She went white as a sheet and pushed it in my hand and rushed out the door. It'll be interesting to see what she says tomorrow :P She tried to pinch my bottle :D:D

Oh Man, I'd get some mileage out of that - she should never be let forget it! Thieving get...

In an old job of mine, communal fridge, people would bring in lunch, dinners, leftovers etc - as you do... there were occasional cases of people's lunch going missing.

One famous day, a girl from the office couldn't find her leftover lasagne and then discovered a senior member of staff (70k earner) scoffing it! She said "What the heck? That's my lasagne!"

He just looked at her and said "Oh, I thought it was just... left there..."

She said: "It was. By me. This morning!"

After the world's most uncomfortable silence, he just, ye know, finished her lasagne*... it was excruciating.

*This is not a euphemism - dirty gets! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tzardine wrote: »
    Long story short, her stingyness trying to save €20 in the hotel cost her about €100 in taxis. Have not spoken to her since, the wife does but its a bit awkward.

We're going on a very fancy family holiday this year and a friend of mine decided to join us for part of it. She got a quote off our travel agent for her part of it - flights, transfers, checked-through bags, the lot - but then discovered that she could get it for €20 cheaper by booking everything direct herself. Not only did she have to contact a rake of different providers and make about three separate bookings, she now has to worry about her own transfers and picking up her bag in the transit airport and whatnot. All for the sake of twenty scabby quid on a two grand holiday. The mind boggles, it really does.

This is the same girl who was the subject of my infamous "Are you not annoyed they're spending all your inheritance?" story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dial Hard wrote: »
    We're going on a very fancy family holiday this year and a friend of mine decided to join us for part of it. She got a quote off our travel agent for her part of it - flights, transfers, checked-through bags, the lot - but then discovered that she could get it for €20 cheaper by booking everything direct herself. Not only did she have to contact a rake of different providers and make about three separate bookings, she now has to worry about her own transfers and picking up her bag in the transit airport and whatnot. All for the sake of twenty scabby quid on a two grand holiday. The mind boggles, it really does.

This is the same girl who was the subject of my infamous "Are you not annoyed they're spending all your inheritance?" story.
    Why are you going on holiday with this stinge? She'll ruin it for ye by trying to penny pinch the whole time.

It will give us loads of stories though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I work in a company in which I have a flexible attendance and one of my coworkers (a Polish lady) is on a contract with rigid hours. She lives near me, due to me working flexi hours we don't carpool, I otherwise would have arranged it.

Her car ended up in the shop for a few days so I said I'd drive her in and out of work at her hours. She was so grateful, it was nothing to me and I expected nothing in return.

Friday came (we work Monday to Friday) and I dropped her home. It was a long bank holiday weekend. She said that today would be the last day she'd need me as her brother picked up her car and left it at her house during the work day.

She drove her car back into work today (Wednesday) she brought me in a lovely bottle of Suplica (a Polish hazelnut spirit). She said you can only get it in Poland. I left it and my desk after I thanked her profusely for it. (She must have popped over to Poland over the long weekend).

At the end of the day I had forgotten about the vodca and I was out at the locker room. I saw another coworker with a bottle of Suplica under her arm. I asked her "did Agnieska get you a bottle too?" .. She shrugged "huh?" ..... I pointed to the bottle and said Agga got me one just like that .....

She went white as a sheet and pushed it in my hand and rushed out the door. It'll be interesting to see what she says tomorrow :P She tried to pinch my bottle :D:D

So, what did she say to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Why are you going on holiday with this stinge? She'll ruin it for ye by trying to penny pinch the whole time.

It's all-inclusive, thank fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FanadMan wrote: »
    That's not stinge...that's theft. If management got word of it, she'd be out on her arse. And good riddance too!

Yeah it needs to be reported on a serious note, if things have or start to go missing, they've got a prime suspect now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's all-inclusive, thank fook.

Sweet jesus. She'll have her pockets lined with tinfoil on the way down to the breakfast buffet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Sweet jesus. She'll have her pockets lined with tinfoil on the way down to the breakfast buffet!

Surely you mean the mammoth handbag. You can't fit more than a couple of croissants in your pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

seagull wrote: »
    Surely you mean the mammoth handbag. You can't fit more than a couple of croissants in your pockets.

I don't know about that. Some of the people referred to in this thread either have very deep pockets or very short arms. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I don't know about that. Some of the people referred to in this thread either have very deep pockets or very short arms. :pac::pac:

You need a pair of MC Hammer pants.

Advertisement