Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My mates called me a tight arse. So I decided to buy them a beer to prove I'm not.

Turns out they wanted one each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,221 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Back in my prime days, I met a hot Aussie guy who was in Ireland on holiday. We snogged and arranged to meet up a few days later in the city.
    He was meeting up with his Oz friend who was living here that same night so I brought my friend along.
    I can't remember the bar we met them in but it was Australia Day.
    Anyhow, either me or my friend went to the bar and got a round of drinks for 4 people.
    Then when the drinks were finished the boys went to the bar and got themselves tap water and seeing us standing there, the friend offers us girls a sip from his glass (come to think of it, I think there was only 1 glass).
    To top it all off, my handbag got robbed that same night by some guy outside on the street while I naively left it down momentarily!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I'd like access to R&R, please! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Back in my prime days, I met a hot Aussie guy who was in Ireland on holiday. We snogged and arranged to meet up a few days later in the city.
    He was meeting up with his Oz friend who was living here that same night so I brought my friend along.
    I can't remember the bar we met them in but it was Australia Day.
    Anyhow, either me or my friend went to the bar and got a round of drinks for 4 people.
    Then when the drinks were finished the boys went to the bar and got themselves tap water and seeing us standing there, the friend offers us girls a sip from his glass (come to think of it, I think there was only 1 glass).
    To top it all off, my handbag got robbed that same night by some guy outside on the street while I naively left it down momentarily!

Lol, the cheap git. Did you...ahem...you know? nudge, nudge...wink,wink, after that display of stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,221 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Lol, the cheap git. Did you...ahem...you know? nudge, nudge...wink,wink, after that display of stinge.

As if I'm going to divulge that on here to you pervs!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

As if I'm going to divulge that on here to you pervs!

So that's a yes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Can I get access to the R&R forum please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Jem and rory, link to access request thread is in the opening post of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Last weekend I has just done my weekly grocery shop for the family but when I got to the till I realised I had left my Necter card on the dashboard of the car. Check out guy said no problem just bring the receipt and card to customer service and they will log your points. I spend £100+ every week so it does add up..but anyway.

I just finished up collected card from car and went back in and stood behind this elderly gentleman who handed a small carton of semi-skimmed milk to the guy behind the counter while demonstrating that when you screwed off the plastic top the inner foil bit was stuck to the underside of the top. Basically it was like this when he got home and he wasn't sure if it was now safe and so wanted a new one.

He had traveled in from a neighbour town (being elderly you have to hear all the insignificant details).

The town is 8 miles away and the carton of milk (the smallest ones you can buy) cost all of .45p. It effing cost him more in fuel and hassle just getting back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My brother was eating lunch alone in his canteen yesterday, it's a tiny canteen that seats 12. He had brought in a curry from home and had maybe 2 bites and went out to take a phone call. He returned a few minutes later to find the food gone and the dirty plate in the sink. The cleaner was standing there with her mouth swinging open stuttering that she thought he was finished so she threw it out. The miserable bitch had eaten it cos he checked the bin and it wasn't there. She's notorious for being a mooch, always bumming smokes, stealing lighters, hovering around desks when people have sweets out for birthdays etc. One year a coworker did a collection of clothes for homeless people and found the cleaner rifling through the collection looking for stuff to sell at her car boot sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last weekend I has just done my weekly grocery shop for the family but when I got to the till I realised I had left my Necter card on the dashboard of the car. Check out guy said no problem just bring the receipt and card to customer service and they will log your points. I spend £100+ every week so it does add up..but anyway.
    I just finished up collected card from car and went back in and stood behind this elderly gentleman who handed a small carton of semi-skimmed milk to the guy behind the counter while demonstrating that when you screwed off the plastic top the inner foil bit was stuck to the underside of the top. Basically it was like this when he got home and he wasn't sure if it was now safe and so wanted a new one.
    He had traveled in from a neighbour town (being elderly you have to hear all the insignificant details).
    The town is 8 miles away and the carton of milk (the smallest ones you can buy) cost all of .45p. It effing cost him more in fuel and hassle just getting back.

How is that stingy please? He was not sure the milk was safe to use as it was not properly sealed and had no other milk for his tea. Just careful is all...Maybe stingy is how you reacted? Just a thought..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

rawn wrote: »
    My brother was eating lunch alone in his canteen yesterday, it's a tiny canteen that seats 1. He had brought in a curry from home and had maybe 2 bites and went out to take a phone call. He returned a few minutes later to find the food gone and the dirty plate in the sink. The cleaner was standing there with her mouth swinging open stuttering that she thought he was finished so she threw it out. The miserable bitch had eaten it cos he checked the bin and it wasn't there. She's notorious for being a mooch, always bumming smokes, stealing lighters, hovering around desks when people have sweets out for birthdays etc. One year a coworker did a collection of clothes for homeless people and found the cleaner rifling through the collection looking for stuff to sell at her car boot sale!

It's a good thing he hadn't planted laxatives in the curry.
    Maybe next time she mightnt be so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Graces7 wrote: »
    How is that stingy please? He was not sure the milk was safe to use as it was not properly sealed and had no other milk for his tea. Just careful is all...Maybe stingy is how you reacted? Just a thought..

Give over with that ****e. Leaving one town to travel 8 miles to another town to replace a 45c container of milk is miserable as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Because the 16 mile journey (round trip) would cost more than 45p in petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Was there something wrong with his nose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was there something wrong with his nose?

Plutonium has no smell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Graces7 wrote:

I think your being stingy with the brain cells there.... Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rawn wrote: »
    My brother was eating lunch alone in his canteen yesterday, it's a tiny canteen that seats 12. He had brought in a curry from home and had maybe 2 bites and went out to take a phone call. He returned a few minutes later to find the food gone and the dirty plate in the sink. The cleaner was standing there with her mouth swinging open stuttering that she thought he was finished so she threw it out. The miserable bitch had eaten it cos he checked the bin and it wasn't there. She's notorious for being a mooch, always bumming smokes, stealing lighters, hovering around desks when people have sweets out for birthdays etc. One year a coworker did a collection of clothes for homeless people and found the cleaner rifling through the collection looking for stuff to sell at her car boot sale!

We have a fridge in the canteen and as with all communal fridges, food tends to do a disappearing act at times.

Threw a new packet of 10 cheese slices into it one day recently, thinking it'd be grand for a while as it was sealed.

Came back two days later and someone had opened it and left just a single half of one slice in the packet.

There's obviously a mentality there "if I leave half of one slice, I didn't really eat it all?" :confused:

It's one of the few things in life that really gets under my skin. And I work in a fairly small place so it's not like there'd be dozens of people passing through the kitchen.

I wouldn't mind someone taking a slice of cheese from an open packet. But to tear open a sealed packet, eat the entire contents, in the knowledge that it's someone elses food.

I think it's actually some form of mental disorder.

and I should have added that he would have driven past several small shops on the route back.

Weepsie wrote: »
    No stingier than going back and queuing up again for the Nectar points

Oh I was waiting for someone to say that......surprised it took so long.

My car was outside the front door which was all of a 30 second walk and back. The points add up plus the coupons....I have 2 small children which eat me out of house and home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got some '99 cones for the kids at the beach yesterday. 50c per squirt of sauce on the cone. Stingy bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

When I was in first year of university, I lived in a shared complex with 13 other students and we all shared a living room and kitchen.

Anyway, we didn’t have a sofa and decided we’d all chip in 5€ and get a cheap one from IKEA. Grand job, one of the lads stuck it on his card and we all gave him the money except one lad from Malaysia.

Said he had no interest in it. Fair enough, some students are stuck for money but this guy was an international student studying medicine. His fees for college came in at around 30-40k per year I believe and he regularly was able to afford trips around Ireland and abroad. In other words his family were loaded.

Stingy prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Anyway, we didn’t have a sofa and decided we’d all chip in 5€ and get a cheap one from IKEA. Grand job, one of the lads stuck it on his card and we all gave him the money except one lad from Malaysia.

Just make sure he never uses it so.

When I was in first year of university, I lived in a shared complex with 13 other students and we all shared a living room and kitchen.

Said he had no interest in it. Fair enough, some students are stuck for money but this guy was an international student studying medicine. His fees for college came in at around 30-40k per year I believe and he regularly was able to afford trips around Ireland and abroad. In other words his family were loaded.

Stingy prick.

This is a regular complaint with international students. I remember living with a Spanish girl in 2nd year (she was a post grad).

At the start of the year we (5 of us altogether)put together a cleaning rota for the common areas and opened a kitty for milk etc. She point blank refused to contribute to the kitty or take her turn cleaning. She was gone by mid November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

One of my old college mates had a bit of a penchant for thrift and stinge.

Back when we were doing our post grad in Maynooth, I was living in Dublin and he was in Celbridge, so there was a bit of public transport involved getting too and from College.

This was when, instead of giving change on the bus, you got a little receipt for the monetary amount (20c or so) which I usually lost within minutes of receiving. My friend, however, kept these religiously, squirrelling them away for a rainy day.

Of course this in itself is not stingy, just thrifty and well organised. But then one day he asked me to do him a favour and pop in to the Dublin Bus headquarters on O'Connell St to redeem his bus receipts for him, as I'd be 'passing by' getting my bus from the quays (not quite passing but how and ever). I had no problem with this as I don't mind doing my mate's a solid, so he handed me the neatly stapled receipts, amounting to the princely sum of €10.

The issue arose, however, when he then announced that this would suffice as the repayment of a tenner that he owed me from a night out the previous week. The cajones on this gentleman to pay a loan back in bus receipts that i would have to cash in myself.

Of course, being a mug, I went ahead and cashed them in....but I ensured I handed him the tenner, so that he could give it back to me as a proper loan repayment in cold hard cash.

We still slag him to this day about it.

My wife is life long friends with a buddy from school and now married. She is a teacher and such a tight ass- in fact I hate when I have to go out with them as they are constantly watching the pennies and who is ordering what. You feel guilty ordering anything.

The worst one was 3-4 years ago they instigated a dinner out in a middle of the road restaurant. The bill came to about £80.00 so we handed £45.00 to her on the basis that she would put £90.00 on her card- they never have cash which is fine I'm just the same.

So anyway when the waiter came along with the card reader we saw her blatantly paying the exact amount although she was being a bit coy about it. Left no tip on the card or on the table.

So we paid £45 and they paid £35.00.

What's worse is that we (myself and wife) didn't pretend a bit or to notice but we could see them looking at each other proud out that they were only paying £35.00.

Afterwards, I said to thy wife: 'Did they really do what I think they did?' She confirmed it.

We have not been out with them since to a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Stingy prick.

Ye should have got this sofa.

81XBobpuS4L._SX466_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Le Bruise wrote: »
    One of my old college mates had a bit of a penchant for thrift and stinge.

Back when we were doing our post grad in Maynooth, I was living in Dublin and he was in Celbridge, so there was a bit of public transport involved getting too and from College.

This was when, instead of giving change on the bus, you got a little receipt for the monetary amount (20c or so) which I usually lost within minutes of receiving. My friend, however, kept these religiously, squirrelling them away for a rainy day.

Of course this in itself is not stingy, just thrifty and well organised. But then one day he asked me to do him a favour and pop in to the Dublin Bus headquarters on O'Connell St to redeem his bus receipts for him, as I'd be 'passing by' getting my bus from the quays (not quite passing but how and ever). I had no problem with this as I don't mind doing my mate's a solid, so he handed me the neatly stapled receipts, amounting to the princely sum of €10.

The issue arose, however, when he then announced that this would suffice as the repayment of a tenner that he owed me from a night out the previous week. The cajones on this gentleman to pay a loan back in bus receipts that i would have to cash in myself.

Of course, being a mug, I went ahead and cashed them in....but I ensured I handed him the tenner, so that he could give it back to me as a proper loan repayment in cold hard cash.

We still slag him to this day about it.

That’s... kinda weird. Why did you need the pomp and circumstance? It’s only a tenner and at least he paid it back. A true stinge wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

We have not been out with them since to a restaurant.

I'm not surprised, we have friends who, in the early days, when it came to tipping in a restaurant would leave the bare minimum, we got around this by handing our tip amount personally to the waiter/waitress. They've since come around to our way of thinking. On a slightly similar note, when my eldest started doing floor work in a local establishment, she told me that all tips paid by credit card were never forwarded to them , but instead retained by management. Since that day, I always tip with cash.

• Advertisement

rushfan wrote: »
    I'm not surprised, we have friends who, in the early days, when it came to tipping in a restaurant would leave the bare minimum, we got around this by handing our tip amount personally to the waiter/waitress. They've since come around to our way of thinking. On a slightly similar note, when my eldest started doing floor work in a local establishment, she told me that all tips paid by credit card were never forwarded to them , but instead retained by management. Since that day, I always tip with cash.

Funnily enough I was in some restaurant in England a few back. I can't remember which it was but when the waitress was there holding the card machine I was apologizing for not having cash and having to leave the tip on the card rather than hand it to her in cash.

She basically told me not to bother as the tips on the card do not get passed on anyway- so I didnt.

Advertisement