Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

Quazzie wrote:
    Do you not give the tip when paying. I know I do. I would assume if someone paid, they also gave the tip at the same time.

Depends on the place, quite often when paying it is not the server you pay and as such I have no interest in giving the tip to that person. As many places don't pass on credit card tips of it's taxed I try to leave cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

At the very least, everyone should contribute to the tip. I cannot imagine sitting there watching my hosts getting a tip together. That would be seriously scabby. You’re talking a fiver or less each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Do you not give the tip when paying. I know I do. I would assume if someone paid, they also gave the tip at the same time. :confused:
    If I'm paying the bill on the card, I generally leave cash on the table. Not at all unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Why have these weird rules if you are offering to pay? If you want to treat someone then drop the chip on your shoulder and just treat them. Or at the very least be up front that the expectation if you pay is that the other person(s) pay a tip. If anything the other party does is going to bother you after paying then don't offer to pay and just split the bill.

Personally I usually do offer to at least pay the tip if someone insists on paying, but I find it mind boggling that anyone would think less of anyone for not doing that, especially because they might not even be familiar with the custom, it's not exactly an established thing, just something some people feel the need to do.

If I'm paying the bill on the card, I generally leave cash on the table. Not at all unusual.

Did you edit that quote to attribute it to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Le Bruise wrote: »
    ...so there was a bit of public transport...

This was when, instead of giving change on the bus, you got a little receipt for the monetary amount (20c or so) which I usually lost within minutes of receiving. My friend, however, kept these religiously, squirrelling them away for a rainy day.

Of course this in itself is not stingy, just thrifty and well organised. But then one day he asked me to do him a favour and pop in to the Dublin Bus headquarters on O'Connell St to redeem his bus receipts for him, as I'd be 'passing by' getting my bus from the quays (not quite passing but how and ever). I had no problem with this as I don't mind doing my mate's a solid, so he handed me the neatly stapled receipts, amounting to the princely sum of €10.

I used to collect them and store them in my wallet, until I had a good few to redeem, which would make my cycle into the city centre worthwhile.

One time, I was looking forward to my cycle into town and collecting my 1.37 when, to my horror, I noticed that the receipts didn't have anything written on them :eek:. The ink Dublin Bus used to write the amount had disappeared. I'm pretty sure DB used some kind of spy ink on purpose to catch out fools like me. It was a dark day in the fatbhoy household that day. It took me a couple of years to collect those (I was an infrequent traveller, you see).Sick, I was.

1.37 ? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,444 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Personally I usually do offer to at least pay the tip if someone insists on paying, but I find it mind boggling that anyone would think less of anyone for not doing that, especially because they might not even be familiar with the custom, it's not exactly an established thing, just something some people feel the need to do.

I would find it less awkward to offer to buy the people who 'treated' for dinner a round of drinks, or paying for shared taxi home, if that was practical.

Adding the tip just seems a little weird to me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I would find it less awkward to offer to buy the people who 'treated' for dinner a round of drinks, or paying for shared taxi home, if that was practical.

Adding the tip just seems a little weird to me.

Not at all. When someone brings me out for dinner, I just casually say at the start “I’m/we’re getting the tip!”. Nothing awkward about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

So if you go out to dinner with someone and they pick up the bill you also expect them to pay for a tip if one is left, that is stingy as it comes.

I think I would feel ashamed if I was out for dinner with someone and they paid for dinner and I then sat there waiting for them to leave a tip on top. I assume that if you were getting someone back for dinner and they offered to leave the tip then you would insist that they hold onto their money as it is not the done thing as the person who pays for the meal pays the tip.

As for saying it's not the same, well it is and it isn't. With zero hour contracts being quite common in Ireland these days it's not uncommon for many wait staff to be only working a couple days a week and as such a tip goes a long way. When I was in college there was one girl who got two 4 hours shifts a week (on a good week) meaning that her tips were the difference between her eating that week or not.

March on the Dail and tell the jobs minister what a useless rat he is so, instead of dicking around with tips.

Kuva wrote:
    March on the Dail and tell the jobs minister what a useless rat he is so, instead of dicking around with tips.

Oh look another have a go hero with nothing to contribute beyond trying to get a dig in. Yawn typical of this thread, dragged off topic by petty posts like your desperate attempt at thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Oh look another have a go hero with nothing to contribute beyond trying to get a dig in. Yawn typical of this thread, dragged off topic by petty posts like your desperate attempt at thanks.

2sknbep.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Not getting credit car tips is only stingey employers. Any restaurant or bar or cafe I have ever worked in if someone tips with card we cash out the bill then take the remainder out in cash and pop it in the tip jar.

Did you edit that quote to attribute it to me
    Not intentionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well no, given that tips are 10%, you’re giving only less than 10% of the dinner+tip total. It’s not a norm or expectation, but I always pay the tip if someone brings me out for dinner. Feels like the polite thing to do. It’s somewhat common in our social circles.

Only 10%?! Stinge!! :D;)

Actually it's another point, in order to tip you would have to ask your host how much the bill was, a little odd in all but the most casual of dinners.

SuperS54 wrote: »

Yes in Ireland! In america the tip seems to have gone up to 87.5% or something but we need to hold the line here :)

SuperS54 wrote: »

Actually it's another point, in order to tip you would have to ask your host how much the bill was, a little odd in all but the most casual of dinners.

You could calculate an estimate pretty easily. You’ll know the prices by looking at the menu when ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Right, enough of this tipping malarkey. A few years ago we were running an annual football forecast (weekly picks for premier league games and championship). It was €20 to enter but had about 100 people involved. One girl wanted to know what was happening with €2k pot during the season. As in, was it earning interest. The tight arse refused to hand over €20 on the basis that her money might earn minuscule interest to be paid out in prizes to the winners. The mind boggles with some people. Why even enter the competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@Mongfinder General

Admit it, you spunked it all away on a packet of Polo Mints!

Know a lad who used to work on a large American tech firm based in Dublin.

A pretty senior fella, who would probably have been on north of 200k, was due to relocate back home to Spain sent an email around the office listing various items that he was trying to flog as he either couldn't bring them with him or didn't want to. Quite prominent amongst this stuff was opened but unfinished bottles of your standard spirits - Jameson, Smirnoff, Bacardi etc. The clown would try and paint it as him doing a good deed for everyone, e.g. he was looking €12 for an approximately half drunk bottle of Jameson and would proudly announce that it was cheaper than you could buy a half bottle/shoulder for in Tesco.

The worst bit about it is that he was deadly serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

We see that all the time with Americans leaving here, they want to sell items for the same as they paid for them years previously. Worst case was someone trying to see stuff from her deep freezer that had expired 15 years previously, or the couple trying to sell a can of beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I used to collect them and store them in my wallet, until I had a good few to redeem, which would make my cycle into the city centre worthwhile.

One time, I was looking forward to my cycle into town and collecting my 1.37 when, to my horror, I noticed that the receipts didn't have anything written on them :eek:. The ink Dublin Bus used to write the amount had disappeared. I'm pretty sure DB used some kind of spy ink on purpose to catch out fools like me. It was a dark day in the fatbhoy household that day. It took me a couple of years to collect those (I was an infrequent traveller, you see). Sick, I was.

Thermally-printed paper with fading ink, that old trick :)
    Having been caught with that before, I store my receipts in a dark place, usually in the box the item came in, so that when / if I ever need to return something under warranty, the receipt is still legible.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Friend just finished college and graduation is in November. Only allowed 2 guests at the ceremony and you have to tell the college who you want to bring. Always an issue as graduates want to invite more.

One of her friends is offering her 2 places for sale on FB. €50 each.

Owryan wrote: »
    Friend just finished college and graduation is in November. Only allowed 2 guests at the ceremony and you have to tell the college who you want to bring. Always an issue as graduates want to invite more.

On a certain level, you gotta admire that she spotted an opportunity with a scarce resource...

Stingy would be charging her own family for the ticket!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When the Cod Wars with Iceland ended in 1976 lots of UK fishermen lost their livelihoods.

The government compensated 2,500 of them with £1,000 each.

A good bit of money in 1976 when the average weekly wage was £72.

Except they got it in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

odyssey06 wrote: »
    On a certain level, you gotta admire that she spotted an opportunity with a scarce resource...

Stingy would be charging her own family for the ticket!

f*ck that, I'd be reporting her to the university. That must be against their policy.
    If she has not got anyone to bring , she should tell the college and let them re-distribute the tickets to someone who wants to share their life achievement with family. PRetty sh*t to tout these IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Owryan wrote: »

In my university it was 50 pounds for each graduation ticket. After spending thousands on a masters, I was pissed offf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

danslevent wrote: »
    In my university it was 50 pounds for each graduation ticket. After spending thousands on a masters, I was pissed offf

That is def stinge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

danslevent wrote: »

which university is that? that's scabby alright. wouldnt surprise me if it became the norm either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

When the Cod Wars with Iceland ended in 1976 lots of UK fishermen lost their livelihoods.

The government compensated 2,500 of them with £1,000 each.

A good bit of money in 1976 when the average weekly wage was £72.

Except they got it in 2012.

No, the ones who were awarded the extra payment were only 9 years late in getting it. Anyhow, I think the Icelandics were quite right in the stance they took - year after year, they saw the UK (and others) fishing fleets hoover up one of their main natural resources, and Iceland has precious few of those.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

sullivlo wrote: »
    Graces7 wrote: »
    How is that stingy please? He was not sure the milk was safe to use as it was not properly sealed and had no other milk for his tea. Just careful is all...Maybe stingy is how you reacted? Just a thought..

Because the 16 mile journey (round trip) would cost more than 45p in petrol.

I don’t get this. Stingy would be going out of your way to save money wouldn’t it? From this story the old man spent more money to get what he paid for at the supermarket and clearly is more interested in the fairness of a transaction than he is about saving money.

Advertisement