Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Owryan wrote: »
    Friend just finished college and graduation is in November. Only allowed 2 guests at the ceremony and you have to tell the college who you want to bring. Always an issue as graduates want to invite more.

One of her friends is offering her 2 places for sale on FB. €50 each.

B. Comm., right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭KH25

danslevent wrote: »
    Owryan wrote: »
    Friend just finished college and graduation is in November. Only allowed 2 guests at the ceremony and you have to tell the college who you want to bring. Always an issue as graduates want to invite more.

One of her friends is offering her 2 places for sale on FB. €50 each.
    In my university it was 50 pounds for each graduation ticket. After spending thousands on a masters, I was pissed offf

In mine it was mandatory to attend graduation. Unless you had an excuse such as a family bereavement they did their best to force you to attend, which of course you had to pay to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

B. Comm., right?

Humanities actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Right, enough of this tipping malarkey. A few years ago we were running an annual football forecast (weekly picks for premier league games and championship). It was €20 to enter but had about 100 people involved. One girl wanted to know what was happening with €2k pot during the season. As in, was it earning interest. The tight arse refused to hand over €20 on the basis that her money might earn minuscule interest to be paid out in prizes to the winners. The mind boggles with some people. Why even enter the competition?

Ha ha that's quite brilliant.
    You'd be fully entitled lose her £20 and say "invesments innit, you may not get back your original stake".

I'm running a Sweepstake at work and folk asked me, jokingly I presume if I was doing a Ponzi on it. A few around my desk said they'd throw in cash should we want to try it out for the lol. Replicated the 160 pot total and we're currently sitting above £1200 (reinvest all winnings as the next bet). Note we have been very lucky in 2 games (last minute Uruguay and England winners).

Should be a good update to the folk "jokingly" demeaning my character!

I think we'll lose our bottle now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

f*ck that, I'd be reporting her to the university. That must be against their policy.
    If she has not got anyone to bring , she should tell the college and let them re-distribute the tickets to someone who wants to share their life achievement with family. PRetty sh*t to tout these IMO.

No way the college would redistribute to some needy family:
    They'd have to hold a policy meeting to decide who would get the tickets, what criteria they would award them, appeals procedure, change of all notification material online and post. Possibly a lottery system.... but with rules and appeals procedure too.
    Screw that. Probably what would happen would be someone ringing the office pleading their case and the Secretary would tell em to ring a few days before the event and see if there were spares. By then families might have other commitments and couldn't hang around waiting.
    End result is the same, if the tickets aren't used they'd go in the bin.
    The student was doing someone a solid. €25 each ain't bad considering the overall cost of graduating ... meals after, gown, photos, possible overnight accommodation, travel.
    She's not forcing anyone to buy them either, and I'll bet open to a bit of haggling.
    It'd be similar to someone who can't go to a concert and offers tix for sale. Sure they'd be generous to give them away for free, but selling them ain't so stingy. Although maybe there is a price where it does become a bit scalpish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

They'd have to hold a policy meeting to decide who would get the tickets, what criteria they would award them, appeals procedure, change of all notification material online and post. Possibly a lottery system.... but with rules and appeals procedure too.
    Screw that. Probably what would happen would be someone ringing the office pleading their case and the Secretary would tell em to ring a few days before the event and see if there were spares. By then families might have other commitments and couldn't hang around waiting.
    The student was doing someone a solid. €25 each ain't bad considering the overall cost of graduating ... meals after, gown, photos, possible overnight accommodation, travel.
    She's not forcing anyone to buy them either, and I'll bet open to a bit of haggling.
    It'd be similar to someone who can't go to a concert and offers tix for sale. Sure they'd be generous to give them away for free, but selling them ain't so stingy. Although maybe there is a price where it does become a bit scalpish.

If she got the tickets free, then selling them is bad form. That's nothing like selling concert tickets which you originally would have purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Kolido wrote: »
    If she got the tickets free, then selling them is bad form. That's nothing like selling concert tickets which you originally would have purchased.

What if you won the concert tickets?
    On the whole graduation is ALWAYS a shakedown. Its never free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

What if you won the concert tickets?
    On the whole graduation is ALWAYS a shakedown. Its never free.

If I was out nothing in the first place, I would give them away free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,442 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kolido wrote: »
    If I was out nothing in the first place, I would give them away free.

I'd probably do the same now that I'm working.

But I might see things differently if broke and in debt at the end of a long haul in college and the €100 would mean you could turn up to the graduation without looking like a tramp?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Yeah trying to sell off stuff that didn't cost you anything in first place is the height of sting. I worked with a girl and at Christmas the suppliers would come in and drop off various bottles of stuff for the staff. Wine / biscuits / chocs etc. Some would be just for the general office and some would be given directly to someone but tbf most ppl just stuck it all in the mix (we all then got to divide it up between all staff on last day ) except this one stinge. ...she was given a bottle of vodka directly. Now she didn't drink vodka and this offended her hugely ....then she proceeded to spend the whole afternoon ringing off licences to see if they'd buy it off her !!!!!!!! She couldn't understand why they wouldn't !!! In the end she took it home with her. Not once did she attempt to give it to a vodka drinker or add it to the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The universities might take ages to re-distribute them, that's true. But so what? nobody has an automatic right to the tickets. This doesnt give your one the right to sell them.

I think it was said that it was 50 per ticket, not 25?

There's no way in hell this can be described as doing someone a solid. Especially if they didnt cost her anything . Doing someone a solid she would have just giving them the tickets.

With concert tickets, people have paid for them so it's fair enough to look for face value back. I dont agree with people touting concert tickets for extortionate prices either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I am just home from a trip to Liffey Valley. When I was in Penney’s there was a woman lashing sun cream (off the shelf) on to her kids. One of the kids asked why they couldn’t just buy their own, and the mother replied “why would we buy it when we can get it for free?”

Buy sun cream FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,221 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

sullivlo wrote: »
    I am just home from a trip to Liffey Valley. When I was in Penney’s there was a woman lashing sun cream (off the shelf) on to her kids. One of the kids asked why they couldn’t just buy their own, and the mother replied “why would we buy it when we can get it for free?”

Buy sun cream FFS.
    I know this is obvious but that's stealing.
    I hope the security guard got her on camera.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I know this is obvious but that's stealing.
    I hope the security guard got her on camera.
    And what happens when she needs to reapply? Is she going to spend her day walking to different shops for a free top up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

sullivlo wrote: »

Buy sun cream FFS.

That’s theft, not stinge. Another punter might not notice it’s not completely full and buy it. :mad:

_Dara_ wrote: »
    That’s theft, not stinge. Another punter might not notice it’s not completely full and buy it. :mad:

Yea I'd call it stingy if she was lashing into free samples on a sample counter but she's nothing but a thief.
    Hope she makes Crimecall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I have a free travel card ... sometimes (like right now!) I hop on a random bus going anywhere, just to use the WiFi for a while. :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have a free travel card ... sometimes (like right now!) I hop on a random bus going anywhere, just to use the WiFi for a while. :o

Honestly- its far easier to just go to the local library- and you don't end up in some random place wondering how to get home again...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Honestly- its far easier to just go to the local library- and you don't end up in some random place wondering how to get home again...........

I do that too, it's not open Sundays though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They don't turn the wifi off at home time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I think all public libraries are now open seven days a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

nuac wrote: »

If thats Fingal Libraries you're talking about, they are testing the waters with that, leaving libraries open with no staff and the management expecting things to be all fine and dandy during that time and for the staff cleaning up the mess on a Monday morning.

Big stinge from the LGMA (the people who run those libraries) and the latest in a long run of shitty behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,442 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

nuac wrote: »

Not in Dublin City unless they forgot to announce it...
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-recreation-culture-dublin-city-public-libraries-and-archive/locations-hours

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Rhyme wrote: »
    If thats Fingal Libraries you're talking about, they are testing the waters with that, leaving libraries open with no staff and the management expecting things to be all fine and dandy during that time and for the staff cleaning up the mess on a Monday morning.

Big stinge from the LGMA (the people who run those libraries) and the latest in a long run of shitty behaviour.

Madness! It won't end well.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Honestly- its far easier to just go to the local library-

My old fella's golf buddy goes to the library every morning (Mon-Fri) to read the days papers, this fella aint far from being a millionaire. Been doing it since he retired. All was going good till one day his car was rear-ended as he was inside the library.

tbh I dont think he's stingy. He's very generous. He just likes heading down to the library to chill for an hour each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

nuac wrote:

Think it's a scheme they are trialling in Dublin and hope to push nationwide next year. Would be great cos my local council library has the strangest opening hours. They seem to change from week to week.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think it's a scheme they are trialling in Dublin and hope to push nationwide next year. Would be great cos my local council library has the strangest opening hours. They seem to change from week to week.

My local one has the luxury of a 4 day week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My local one has the luxury of a 4 day week.

Mine is 3 - 5 days a week, depending on who is on or if Mars is in conjunction with Uranus and there is a high tide. Or something.......

I've used automated libraries in Finland and they are so bloody handy. Swipe to get in. Swipe your books and card. Swipe your card to get out. Scanners check that you don't have unregistered books out with you.

Sooner they get it all properly automated the better! Even OAPs were able to use it without a problem. But can never see it working here cos there will always be one that messes it up for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

FanadMan wrote: »

It takes me longer to read the opening hours on the window than it would to read any of the books in my local library.
    I think that scheme would work brilliantly in smaller communities. I'd be a bit dubious of cities though.
    If it's not tried we'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I know we are in a library now apparently, so I will keep my voice down... but could we maybe get back to the posts about the stingiest things that we have seen please?

Advertisement