Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Someone mentioned previously about his father being a stinge, and the miserableness of life because of it, and it brings to mind my father in law. He is the world's worst.

They live in a house dating back to the late 1800's and its as if he feels the house should remain stuck in that time-warp. Everything is prone to not working. He has an old school 'box' for the telly with ITV,BBC,E4 and a few more of the english stations on it, but the picture doesn't fit the screen so the edges are cut off. An absolute nightmare when trying to watch any sport.

Weirdly enough he has this located in the colder room in the house with uncomfortable chairs that belong from the 80s- the nice sitting room with the leather sofa and fire only has RTE etc on its telly. And the reception on that is very much depended on how windy it is outside.

The house is surrounded by a few old trees that block out phone coverage which means that you can only get good reception in certain pockets of it. Same applies to WIFI, which is even more tempermental. All it would take would for them to be clipped back a bit and it would automatically improve everything.

He delays any DIY that needs to be done for as long as possible, then gets a dodgy handyman in to the work to save costs. A new floor was put in recently that has a clear slant in it. The floor in a room upstairs is close to breaking through. The water has gone hard and needs refiltering. He won't even replace a lock on the bathroom door downstairs.

He's the sort of fella that makes sure every switch is turned off when going to bed or leaving the house, but yet a trip switch is going off the last while and won't get an electrician to sort the issue. He has a constant supply of 10c coins stacked up to buy the paper and other smaller items- removed them at your peril!

But the worst of all is that there is a beehive located on the roof joint just above the front-door for the last two years. That door is of course always left open when the weather is hot. He is allergic to bee stings and there is a steady flow of children visiting. But seemingly its bad luck to destroy a beehive.

I genuinely think its a mental illness. There is no way a house should be left in such a backward state in this day and age particularly when there is cash-flow coming into the household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭kg703

LirW wrote: »

My family drama beats your family drama.

Hehehe that’s not close to my in laws. Not even close. It’s pratically Eastenders. I just stay out of it cause that’s my husbands problem.

Some stinge though:

Doing the coffee run in work which I do a lot and twice someone’s gone oh wait you always get it, I’ll get these and has given me a swipe with no money on it so I pay for them anyway. Good thing I’m not a stinge and see the funny side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

My sister is acting the bollox at the moment, as much as I love her.
    So she's a single mother in her mid 20s and currently about to finish her degree in psychology, therefore there's a lot to do. Her boy is turning 1 next month.
    Now my mother and her mother had a big fall-out a few years ago and haven't spoken since, there was a lot of really heavy stuff involved. Anyway, a few weeks ago my mom had the idea to visit her mother for a week and stay with her and talk it all out (My mother lives on the canaries, my nan in Austria). Now my mother tried to find a reasonably cheap flight connection soon enough and asked my sister if she could imagine asking the nan how she'd think about it. But my mom couldn't find a reasonable flight and had to cancel the trip for the near future and told my sister that the plan is scrapped for now. My mom doesn't have a lot of money so it's kind of a big deal to find a cheap flight.
    Now my sister couldn't keep her mouth shut and asked the nan anyway and she actually got quite excited over it... silly silly her.

Then a week later, after my mother was a bit cross with her for hyping my nan up, my sister sent her a voice message: Hey if you still consider coming, how about you fly back with me when I visit you in September, you could stay with me and look after the baby, because there's sooo much going on at college at the moment (insert: I'm a stingy b1tch and my baby is too precious to be sent to a childminder) and in exchange I'll drive you down to nan and you can meet for lunch or so.

My family drama beats your family drama.

Eh what ? Is your sista’ from another mista’ or something ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

"Now my mother and her mother" = "Now my mother and my mother's mother"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Reading about stags and organising flights, money, people.. it's a nightmare, is it ever any other way?

Years ago we often did things as a group and one girl always had to organise it, drum up the excitement of a get together, or a trip away etc. Inevitably, you a have one or two stick in the mud types who never paid on time, owed money afterwards and made excuses - the usual stingy a'hole activity.

Anyway, the girl who insisted on organising these events, loved to wallow in the hardship of the stinges. Bad enough you have to witness a stinge full-on in all their glory, but to have to talk about what they did over and over and..

I bowed out of the get togethers after a bit, preferring to meet up with one or two decent ones rather than experience the group's full-on dramas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,221 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

miamee wrote: »
    "Now my mother and her mother" = "Now my mother and my mother's mother"

Like I said.. my grandma and your grandma sitting by the fire..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

After reading over it I think it didn't really come across what's the stinge about it! Shame on me.

I try summing it up, my sister took the opportunity to cheekily ask for a free babysitter for a week instead of simply paying someone like everyone else who works/goes to college. She genuinely doesn't see why she should pay someone to take care of her precious child of the century because my mother was considering coming over for a week for something entirely different which didn't work out.
    My first reaction to hearing of a single mother in the family who needs a bit of help to get her professional qualification would be to ask what kind of help she needs. Is it really 'stingy' to ask for help from a family member? Meanwhile, we're plastering the airwaves and online adverts with 'just ask' 'just talk to someone' campaigns around mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

My first reaction to hearing of a single mother in the family who needs a bit of help to get her professional qualification would be to ask what kind of help she needs. Is it really 'stingy' to ask for help from a family member? Meanwhile, we're plastering the airwaves and online adverts with 'just ask' 'just talk to someone' campaigns around mental health.
    In this case, yes. The op's mother has already reared her children and was coming to spend a week with her own mother. She is short of cash and wouldn't be making this trip often. For her daughter to expect her to come and stay with her to look after her child is incredibly cheeky and stingy. She's not asking for help. She's hijacking someone's much needed holiday. That's not a sign of someone with mental health issues. It's a sign of someone who needs a good kick up the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    In this case, yes. The op's mother has already reared her children and was coming to spend a week with her own mother. She is short of cash and wouldn't be making this trip often. For her daughter to expect her to come and stay with her to look after her child is incredibly cheeky and stingy. She's not asking for help. She's hijacking someone's much needed holiday. That's not a sign of someone with mental health issues. It's a sign of someone who needs a good kick up the arse.
    Congratulations on your ability to diagnose the situation with such certainty from such a long distance and such little knowledge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- my head hurts trying to make headwind into deciphering the two cases from the last day...........

I'm not sure that either case reflect anything out of the ordinary- other than perhaps the sister who wanted a free baby sitter- was conscious of money being short for her mum, and when the trip fell through- then still expected her to buy flights over to go baby sitting for a week. The least the sister could do is pay for the flight- if she wanted a baby sitter?

As for the name change on the flight tickets- I still don't know what happened- and I've reread it three times. Actually, I'm not even sure who the baddie is- or why..........

I'm getting old and grouchy (but not stingy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Honestly- my head hurts trying to make headwind into deciphering the two cases from the last day...........

I'm not sure that either case reflect anything out of the ordinary- other than perhaps the sister who wanted a free baby sitter- was conscious of money being short for her mum, and when the trip fell through- then still expected her to buy flights over to go baby sitting for a week. The least the sister could do is pay for the flight- if she wanted a baby sitter?

As for the name change on the flight tickets- I still don't know what happened- and I've reread it three times. Actually, I'm not even sure who the baddie is- or why..........

No clue either. Is the OP mad that the Father-in law gave his own son €90 because he was strapped for cash.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Same here, I can't figure out that story.
    Oh and I'm getting old and grouchy too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That’s a lot of words to basically say your sister is looking for free child care. The family drama is superfluous.

Congratulations on your ability to diagnose the situation with such certainty from such a long distance and such little knowledge.
    I read LirW's posts and took her at face value. She is after all the one in the best position to know what's going on. You're the one gaslighting about mental health.

Fitz has a friend who owes him €90. His father in law can't go on his stage so he was going to sell his FIL's ticket to his friend for €190. €100 to change the name on the ticket and then pocket the other €90 to recoup his loss from his friend. He realised that was a sh!tty thing to do and told the FIL's son he had got €90 back for his ticket. The FIL gave the money to his son and now Fitz has the hump because he thinks the money should be his.

Fitz you are 100% in the wrong here. Your friend owes you €90. Not your FIL or his son. Getting money back for your FIL does not make you entitled to it. People are spending 100's of euros to go to your stage and you're cribbing over €90 that isn't yours and you think you are in the right? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Fitz has a friend who owes him €90. His father in law can't go on his stage so he was going to sell his FIL's ticket to his friend for €190. €100 to change the name on the ticket and then pocket the other €90 to recoup his loss from his friend. He realised that was a sh!tty thing to do and told the FIL's son he had got €90 back for his ticket. The FIL gave the money to his son and now Fitz has the hump because he thinks the money should be his.

Fitz you are 100% in the wrong here. Your friend owes you €90. Not your FIL or his son. Getting money back for your FIL does not make you entitled to it. People are spending 100's of euros to go to your stage and you're cribbing over €90 that isn't yours and you think you are in the right? :confused:

Nope your wrong. Originally I was telling my friend to give me the €190 he was going to pay anyway €100 name change and the €90 he owed. But I didn't I never mentioned the €90 he owed and said to give me €190 so I can give FIL €90 to recoup from his loss... That's actually doing a good thing.

What I didn't like was a surprise I gave the father in law of this €90 and he basically didn't give a fcuk about it and gave to his son instead within 30 seconds without even saying thanks to me.

Put it this way. In easoer terms

I got father in law surprise €90 but told his son first. He called dad and dad said he can have it. Son calls me back and it's nasically "he doesn't want it transfer to me"

I would have rathered A decent person would have took the money said thanks then did want ever they want with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

My head is spinning. Please make it stop. Keep the tales simple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

A lady came up to me yesterday looking for a refund on a bottle of wine. It happens from time to time, exchange if it's not open or maybe it's corked.

She said she's drank a glass out of it and there's nothing wrong with the wine, it's just not to her taste. She got it as a gift and wanted the money back. I told her I couldn't give her a refund without a receipt and I'm not sure I can even let you exchange it because there's nothing wrong with it. I price checked it and it was an €18 bottle!!

I told my supervisor and she said yeah let her exchange it but it has to be from the alcohol section. I couldn't believe that she was allowed get an exchange on it, it's not a restaurant, you can't drink some and change it.

So I told her to get more wine to the value of €18 or higher. She comes back up with groceries and I said I'm sorry it has to be from the alcohol section. You can get beer, wine, spirits..
    She was furious. She still wanted her money back. I tried to explain that it was a goodwill gesture that we were even letting her exchange it, it probably wasn't even bought in our store.

She came back up with a bottle of wine for €6 and said she'll take the €12 cash. I was losing my patience at that point. You have to get at least another €12 in the alcohol section, or I swap the wine and you don't get any cash.

She storms back off, and comes back with bottles of 7up, coke, fanta etc. I had to walk her down and she begrudgingly chose some cans to make up the difference. F*cking entitled people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

PandaPoo wrote: »
    A lady came up to me yesterday looking for a refund on a bottle of wine. It happens from time to time, exchange if it's not open or maybe it's corked.

She said she's drank a glass out of it and there's nothing wrong with the wine, it's just not to her taste. She got it as a gift and wanted the money back. I told her I couldn't give her a refund without a receipt and I'm not sure I can even let you exchange it because there's nothing wrong with it. I price checked it and it was an €18 bottle!!

I told my supervisor and she said yeah let her exchange it but it has to be from the alcohol section. I couldn't believe that she was allowed get an exchange on it, it's not a restaurant, you can't drink some and change it.

So I told her to get more wine to the value of €18 or higher. She comes back up with groceries and I said I'm sorry it has to be from the alcohol section. You can get beer, wine, spirits..
    She was furious. She still wanted her money back. I tried to explain that it was a goodwill gesture that we were even letting her exchange it, it probably wasn't even bought in our store.

She came back up with a bottle of wine for €6 and said she'll take the €12 cash. I was losing my patience at that point. You have to get at least another €12 in the alcohol section, or I swap the wine and you don't get any cash.

She storms back off, and comes back with bottles of 7up, coke, fanta etc. I had to walk her down and she begrudgingly chose some cans to make up the difference. F*cking entitled people!

Am I reading this correctly
    You took back a partial bottle that she had drank from!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

dieselbug wrote: »
    Am I reading this correctly
    You took back a partial bottle that she had drank from!!!!

The neck of some people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The supervisor was in the wrong to allow that bint to get away with such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is it a case of people like that would do more damage by deterring people from going to the shop for being refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Panthro wrote: »
    The supervisor was in the wrong to allow that bint to get away with such nonsense.

Absolutely. I kept repeating 'there's nothing wrong with the wine, it probably wasn't even bought here' but she just said ah let her swap it. I was disgusted. It only encourages them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ok..
    My boyfriend gave me €20 last week to buy tickets for a gig we were supposed to go to. I said sure I’ll get dinner and I’ll get the tickets on my card with that €20 you gave me,All fine.

That night I got the dinner €30 our taxi €10 and bought us extra drinks to bring home, 6 bottles each or whatever. Another €15 euro.

We didn’t end up going to the gig so I kept the €20 but presumed it was MORE than covered.

He then initiated we get pizza last night which I paid for, all grand, €15. In his mind that €15 was his because we never bought the tickets. So his €20 was still ‘active’

He then initiated we visit the cinema tonight and proceeds to hand me €4 for his ticket. I paid for the sweets and popcorn and tickets. €30 total. And a taxi home, another €10

We’re standing in line to order our popcorn, I want my own because he will hog ours if we share, he then says ‘I have €5 credit left so that can cover the extra popcorn’

I say, credit for what? On your card or something?

He says no, I’ve a fiver credit left over from the €20 I gave you, since I only ‘spent’ €15 of that on pizza last night!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Ok..
    My boyfriend gave me €20 last week to buy tickets for a gig we were supposed to go to. I said sure I’ll get dinner and I’ll get the tickets on my card with that €20 you gave me,All fine.

That night I got the dinner €30 our taxi €10 and bought us extra drinks to bring home, 6 bottles each or whatever. Another €15 euro.

We didn’t end up going to the gig so I kept the €20 but presumed it was MORE than covered.

He then initiated we get pizza last night which I paid for, all grand, €15. In his mind that €15 was his because we never bought the tickets. So his €20 was still ‘active’

He then initiated we visit the cinema tonight and proceeds to hand me €4 for his ticket. I paid for the sweets and popcorn and tickets. €30 total. And a taxi home, another €10

We’re standing in line to order our popcorn, I want my own because he will hog ours if we share, he then says ‘I have €5 credit left so that can cover the extra popcorn’

He says no, I’ve a fiver credit left over from the €20 I gave you, since I only ‘spent’ €15 of that on pizza last night!!!!!!

Did he get his hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Ok..

You need to kick him to the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Time for that lad to be shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ok..

Do not have a baby whatever you do....

He will not pay a cent towards it by the sounds of it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ok..

That final fiver is the cheapest life lesson you'll ever learn. I expect ye are quite young but even so, someone that militant about spending money with a partner is not someone to plan long term with.

If you do expect to be posting things in future like "My husband was left his parents house and he wants me to pay 50% of market value directly to him before we move in to it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The scary thing is he’s 27

Advertisement