Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

fitzparker wrote: »
    Nope your wrong. Originally I was telling my friend to give me the €190 he was going to pay anyway €100 name change and the €90 he owed. But I didn't I never mentioned the €90 he owed and said to give me €190 so I can give FIL €90 to recoup from his loss... That's actually doing a good thing.
    Nope I'm right. You were going to charge him the €100 flight change (fair enough) and the €90 as a pay back on the loan, which in your own words, you bottled it. You actually thought about it, which is something that most people wouldn't, so don't be so quick to give yourself a pat on the back.
    What I didn't like was a surprise I gave the father in law of this €90 and he basically didn't give a fcuk about it and gave to his son instead within 30 seconds without even saying thanks to me.
    You are making a mountain out of a molehill and I find your reaction really bizzare :confused: Your FIL couldn't go on the trip and you managed to save him €90. He still lost €100 which he's not cribbing about. You seem to be really p!ssed off that his first reaction was to give it to his son, who is strapped for cash, rather than thanking, or giving it to you?

Put it this way. In easoer terms

I got father in law surprise €90 but told his son first. He called dad and dad said he can have it. Son calls me back and it's nasically "he doesn't want it transfer to me"

I would have rathered A decent person would have took the money said thanks then did want ever they want with it.
    I'll reiterate - your FIL LOST €100 on the flights. He's not crabbing about that. I can't believe you are still going on about the €90. It was nothing to do with your FIL or BIL. You had a chance to chase your friend who actually owed you the money but you let it go. Seriously????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The scary thing is he’s 27

Run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

They don't turn the wifi off at home time :D

Some of us do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

RUN FAST!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

As someone else said, that's the best fiver you ever spent. Lose interest in him, fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,220 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

As someone else said, that's the best fiver you ever spent. Lose interest in him, fast.

Unless he has a massive aubergine of course..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Ugh he sounds vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Did he get his hole?
    More to the point, did he get the elbow?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

PI forum that way --->

Altough you'd usually get better advice here, tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously- its one of the cheapest lessons you're ever going to learn.
    It doesn't matter how great he is in any other respect- get the hell rid of him, things like this will gnaw at you and eventually- in twenty years time- blow up into something explosive. You're young- you're unfortunate to have met an arsehole like him- use it as a lesson, move on, and I'm sure you'll meet someone perfectly nice who will deserve you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

It doesn't matter how great he is in any other respect- get the hell rid of him, things like this will gnaw at you and eventually- in twenty years time- blow up into something explosive. You're young- you're unfortunate to have met an arsehole like him- use it as a lesson, move on

Jesus fucking Christ... You'd swear he slapped her up and down the road. This lad is getting the guillotine over a few score.
    I'm sure you'll meet someone perfectly nice who will deserve you
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It doesn't matter how great he is in any other respect- get the hell rid of him, things like this will gnaw at you and eventually- in twenty years time- blow up into something explosive. You're young- you're unfortunate to have met an arsehole like him- use it as a lesson, move on, and I'm sure you'll meet someone perfectly nice who will deserve you.

A prime example of this, I posted previously about a work colleague / ex friend of mine who used to go to the ATM two or three times a night depending on how he deemed the craic to be going. He was going out with a really lovely quiet girl for a while. She told me one night that he regularly showed up for dates having "forgotten" his wallet. She took my advice and dropped him like a hot snot.

A friend of the wife's wasn't so lucky. She was such a doormat it was pathological in my opinion. She ignored all the signs during the courtship and is now stuck in a marriage with a guy who she took into her own house after he was chucked out of his first marital home. She tearfully told the Missus over a coffee lately (paid for by the Missus) that her darling husband goes through her handbag and would question her about a receipt for a pair of knickers. Meanwhile he has treated himself to a BMW that is his pride and joy to the extent that,.... wait for it,..... he won't allow the wife nor their child into it! He makes Emmet Bergin in Sleeping With The Enemy seem normal.

There are plenty of normal lads around, if someone seems a bit strange at the dating stage they will be fully blown bunny boilers after 10 years of marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

^^ Financial abuse is a legitimate form of domestic abuse and that's exactly what this lad is doing by going through the wife's purse. Not allowing her in the car is probably a form of gaslighting as well, making her think she's not trustworthy enough to get in a car ffs.

What you've described is way beyond being a stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

benjamin d wrote: »
    ^^ Financial abuse is a legitimate form of domestic abuse and that's exactly what this lad is doing by going through the wife's purse. Not allowing her in the car is probably a form of gaslighting as well, making her think she's not trustworthy enough to get in a car ffs.

What you've described is way beyond being a stinge.

When I read it first it reminded me of Stephen King's 'Rose Madder' book, where the wife has to give the husband all receipts and explain all expenditure on groceries. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Jesus ****ing Christ... You'd swear he slapped her up and down the road. This lad is getting the guillotine over a few score.

Have you not read the pages and pages here describing people like him here, or are you one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Nope your wrong. Originally I was telling my friend to give me the €190 he was going to pay anyway €100 name change and the €90 he owed. But I didn't I never mentioned the €90 he owed and said to give me €190 so I can give FIL €90 to recoup from his loss... That's actually doing a good thing.

What I didn't like was a surprise I gave the father in law of this €90 and he basically didn't give a fcuk about it and gave to his son instead within 30 seconds without even saying thanks to me.

Put it this way. In easoer terms

I got father in law surprise €90 but told his son first. He called dad and dad said he can have it. Son calls me back and it's nasically "he doesn't want it transfer to me"

I would have rathered A decent person would have took the money said thanks then did want ever they want with it.

I think your the stinge here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Jesus fucking Christ... You'd swear he slapped her up and down the road. This lad is getting the guillotine over a few score.

:rolleyes:

Some of us have been around the block and know an inveterate stinge when we see it described.

Slapping someone up and down the road is not the only way you can mistreat them. He’s a massive, huge stinge and a leech. It’s a highly unattractive quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

run dartboardio, run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Stringer Barksdale

Was at a wedding in the UK at the weekend, my wife's English friend was marrying an Irish man.

The best man was also Irish. There was a bus organised back from the church to hotel, old style double decker.

Best man had a word with the bus driver about stopping in the village nearest hotel on the way. He got off with his girlfriend, bus continued on to hotel.

In the middle of wedding party photographs which he was late for, he turned up in a taxi with a box of beer he gave his girlfriend to bring to their hotel room. He spent the night taking turns with his girlfriend to go back and forward to room to save himself having to buy a beer.

The guy had his suit and room paid for by bride and groom. Disgraceful cheapskates.

Was at a wedding in the UK at the weekend, my wife's English friend was marrying an Irish man.

The best man was also Irish. There was a bus organised back from the church to hotel, old style double decker.

Best man had a word with the bus driver about stopping in the village nearest hotel on the way. He got off with his girlfriend, bus continued on to hotel.

In the middle of wedding party photographs which he was late for, he turned up in a taxi with a box of beer he gave his girlfriend to bring to their hotel room. He spent the night taking turns with his girlfriend to go back and forward to room to save himself having to buy a beer.

The guy had his suit and room paid for by bride and groom. Disgraceful cheapskates.

I find that highly unusual. Usually the Irish are the most generous at any party standing rounds to anyone who passes by!
    He let the side down obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Surprised he didn't get the bus to wait, rather than incur the cost of a taxi :D

One of my husband’s friends is similar. He’s mid-30s, has an extremely cushy well-paid job and STILL brings hip flasks and naggins to the pub and to weddings in his socks. He even hates having to buy mixers. It’s truly pathetic stuff. I mean, I grew out of the sneaky naggin thing in college because it was such a pain in the arse. Plus, he clearly has no concept of the overheads businesses have. Yeah, booze is expensive but the price is the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

When I read it first it reminded me of Stephen King's 'Rose Madder' book, where the wife has to give the husband all receipts and explain all expenditure on groceries. :pac:

I think I've posted it before but years ago I used to work with someone who married a woman who was an utter fruitcake and he had to itemize any expenditure, down to the penny, in this little notebook. His lunch used to consist of one slice of white bread, halved, with some indescribable fish paste in it. He used to be starving all the time and would almost be drooling at other people's food or trying to cadge money or food off them continually. Not so much stingy as sad, what is worse is that they used to tithe a significant proportion of their income to some weird church. The whole thing was very odd. I was always expecting him to appear in a news story which ended ".....before turning the gun on himself."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

" I was always expecting him to appear in a news story which ended ".....before turning the gun on himself." ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Some years ago a 'friend' of mine who was divorced wanted me to torrent and burn a series of dvds from a collection he wanted for his son's birthday. i calculated that if i had i would be burning all day i.e burn/ leave come back /burn next. I would need 12 euro worth of disks and he said he would give me the 12 euro. Nothing for my whole day being tied up because i would have to be around the computer to start the next burn

The set in the shops was 25 euro but he was happy to give the child home made disks with the title written in marker rather than pay for the original. I told him get lost, don't know what happened

Some years ago a 'friend' of mine who was divorced wanted me to torrent and burn a series of dvds from a collection he wanted for his son's birthday. i calculated that if i had i would be burning all day i.e burn/ leave come back /burn next. I would need 12 euro worth of disks and he said he would give me the 12 euro. Nothing for my whole day being tied up because i would have to be around the computer to start the next burn

The set in the shops was 25 euro but he was happy to give the child home made disks with the title written in marker rather than pay for the original. I told him get lost, don't know what happened
    This reminded me of the following story..
    I was in a part time course years ago and the college we were studying with gave us self produced course manuals (bound ones with probably 60 to 80 pages printed on both sides).
    There was one guy who didn't interact with anyone or say a word but one day he turned around to another woman and asked her to photocopy the whole manual for him!
    I guess they cost us around €40 each to buy direct from college.
    She told him no and a few months later he stopped coming to the course anyhow as far as I could see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Someone mentioned previously about his father being a stinge, and the miserableness of life because of it, and it brings to mind my father in law. He is the world's worst.

They live in a house dating back to the late 1800's and its as if he feels the house should remain stuck in that time-warp. Everything is prone to not working. He has an old school 'box' for the telly with ITV,BBC,E4 and a few more of the english stations on it, but the picture doesn't fit the screen so the edges are cut off. An absolute nightmare when trying to watch any sport.

Weirdly enough he has this located in the colder room in the house with uncomfortable chairs that belong from the 80s- the nice sitting room with the leather sofa and fire only has RTE etc on its telly. And the reception on that is very much depended on how windy it is outside.

The house is surrounded by a few old trees that block out phone coverage which means that you can only get good reception in certain pockets of it. Same applies to WIFI, which is even more tempermental. All it would take would for them to be clipped back a bit and it would automatically improve everything.

He delays any DIY that needs to be done for as long as possible, then gets a dodgy handyman in to the work to save costs. A new floor was put in recently that has a clear slant in it. The floor in a room upstairs is close to breaking through. The water has gone hard and needs refiltering. He won't even replace a lock on the bathroom door downstairs.

He's the sort of fella that makes sure every switch is turned off when going to bed or leaving the house, but yet a trip switch is going off the last while and won't get an electrician to sort the issue. He has a constant supply of 10c coins stacked up to buy the paper and other smaller items- removed them at your peril!

But the worst of all is that there is a beehive located on the roof joint just above the front-door for the last two years. That door is of course always left open when the weather is hot. He is allergic to bee stings and there is a steady flow of children visiting. But seemingly its bad luck to destroy a beehive.

I genuinely think its a mental illness. There is no way a house should be left in such a backward state in this day and age particularly when there is cash-flow coming into the household.

That house actually sounds quite nice. His priorities might just be different to yours. I certainly wouldnt bother chopping down healthy trees over a bloody phone signal.

It's a lot harder to give a house a genuine old-world feel than to spend a few grand on modern flatpack MDF sh1te from Ikea and "modernise" it. I'd love to see the place

• Advertisement

I think I've posted it before but years ago I used to work with someone who married a woman who was an utter fruitcake and he had to itemize any expenditure, down to the penny, in this little notebook. His lunch used to consist of one slice of white bread, halved, with some indescribable fish paste in it. He used to be starving all the time and would almost be drooling at other people's food or trying to cadge money or food off them continually. Not so much stingy as sad, what is worse is that they used to tithe a significant proportion of their income to some weird church. The whole thing was very odd. I was always expecting him to appear in a news story which ended ".....before turning the gun on himself."

This is why it’s imperative to avoid stinges. A poster upthread thought we were being too harsh on the subject of an anecdote here but so many of us have witnessed people living in this misery. It’s no life.

Advertisement