Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Ok..

Just checking to see if you have dumped this waster yet!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭kg703

One of my husband’s friends is similar. He’s mid-30s, has an extremely cushy well-paid job and STILL brings hip flasks and naggins to the pub and to weddings in his socks. He even hates having to buy mixers. It’s truly pathetic stuff. I mean, I grew out of the sneaky naggin thing in college because it was such a pain in the arse. Plus, he clearly has no concept of the overheads businesses have. Yeah, booze is expensive but the price is the price.

Hmmmm. Not with you here at all. Every now and again myself and my husband bring nagins to the pub. Both in our 30s, have a fairly active social life and will easily save sixty quid doing this. I’ve never not bought rounds of drinks when I do go out without a hip flask. Bars have overheads yes but they are also charging 5/6 quid for a beer. Same with the 3arena etc. overcharge for everything.

I’d hardly consider myself or himself pathetic. We’re only saving ourselves a bit of cash!

In saying that, I wouldnt do it in a little family run pub, I’m talking Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

kg703 wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Not with you here at all. Every now and again myself and my husband bring nagins to the pub. Both in our 30s, have a fairly active social life and will easily save sixty quid doing this. I’ve never not bought rounds of drinks when I do go out without a hip flask. Bars have overheads yes but they are also charging 5/6 quid for a beer. Same with the 3arena etc. overcharge for everything.

I’d hardly consider myself or himself pathetic. We’re only saving ourselves a bit of cash!

In saying that, I wouldnt do it in a little family run pub, I’m talking Dublin City Centre.

Jesus, I'd be embarrassed to take out a naggin in the pub with my friends. You know how much the drinks cost, don't go out if you can't afford it.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Jesus, I'd be embarrassed to take out a naggin in the pub with my friends. You know how much the drinks cost, don't go out if you can't afford it.

I have a nice little hip flask. Your right, if I don’t have the cash, I should sit at home instead of going out and enjoying it. Or go out and drink water.

I’m sure everyone here is above sneaking in a little drink to places. I can live with the embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’d be mortified to be doing that in my 30s. It’s not a either hip flask or buying rounds. There’s a vast expanse of grey in between. Those businesses have to pay staff, maintenance, rates etc. If you don’t agree with the prices, don’t pay them but don’t use their facilities. Taking advantage of businesses like that is just so cheeky.

My husband’s friend’s behaviour is regarded as pathetic by many (myself included) and rightly so. And it’s not a sometime thing. He does this every time.

And yes, I am above sneaking drinks in. I discovered that at a very young age. Even in college, it felt wrong. I earn a low income and budget accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chatting to some folk who live in a magically lovely spot.

They told me that they live without mains water and toilet facilities as else all their friends ask to stay with them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,220 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Graces7 wrote: »

They told me that they live without mains water and toilet facilities as else all their friends ask to stay with them..

So how do they manage?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,456 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Would they not just turn their phones/email off? (or just say no!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

One of my husband’s friends is similar. He’s mid-30s, has an extremely cushy well-paid job and STILL brings hip flasks and naggins to the pub and to weddings in his socks. He even hates having to buy mixers. It’s truly pathetic stuff. I mean, I grew out of the sneaky naggin thing in college because it was such a pain in the arse. Plus, he clearly has no concept of the overheads businesses have. Yeah, booze is expensive but the price is the price.

Wow, are you for real? If a friend of mine, the same age as me, brought a nagin in to the pub I'd be mortified to be seen with them.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Wow, are you for real? If a friend of mine, the same age as me, brought a nagin in to the pub I'd be mortified to be seen with them.

Yeah. So do plenty of people I know. Each to their own I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Suckler

Outright stingiest to their own. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I have a nice little hip flask. Your right, if I don’t have the cash, I should sit at home instead of going out and enjoying it. Or go out and drink water.

I’m sure everyone here is above sneaking in a little drink to places. I can live with the embarrassment.
    I have no money at the moment. If I have to go to the pub (for whatever reason), I will drink water/mi wadi, pass myself to be social and then go home. Y’no, like a normal, non-stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fairly common practice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Fairly common practice

Yeah fairly common practice for skint students. If you're a grown, employed adult then you're a complete and utter stinge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fairly common practice

Yes. In the 18 to early 20's college going age groups. Not by many people in to their 30's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,434 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would never bring any booze into a pub but at gigs and events have done it given the mad queues, limited options and crazy prices.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

If they got caught by the bar staff doing the "crouching tiger, hidden naggin" would they get thrown out/barred? Or do they go to the jacks for their "wee dram" ;)

I remember dropping a fiesta load of students to Waterford for a college night out circa 2010. They didn't need to bring drink with them, they were totally legless before they even left their house.

They would drink at home so you wouldn't need to buy it in the club's. Smuggling in the drink via their bloodstream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,220 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Would never bring any booze into a pub but at gigs and events have done it given the mad queues, limited options and crazy prices.

I brought drink into an outdoor gig in my early 30s but it wasn't because I was tight, it was because with the limited variety of alcohol they sell at these events and I'm such a limited drinker that I had no choice haha.
    As to how I got it into the event to avoid being caught..I'll spare you all the blushes!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

A guy I know claims he gets a large coffee in the petrol station but takes the string off a tea bag and places it under the cap of the cup.

When he gets to the till, he pays for a tea instead of a more expensive coffee. Says he saves about €5 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Chewbacca wrote: »

When he gets to the till, he pays for a tea instead of a more expensive coffee. Says he saves about €5 a week.

That's not only stinge. ...but wasteful. So he opens a teabag ...rips off the strings and presumably dumps the bag.

You'd admire him more if he just said it was tea at the till. It's not like they check. They take your word for what it is. Sure most ppl dump the teabag once it's dunked anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A conversation between myself and my teenage son this evening.

Him: I'm going to the shop. Can I have 2 or 3 quid?

Me: OK.. Hang on. Didn't you get paid the other evening?

Him. Oh.. Ya.. But I only have a 50 and two 20s.

Me: They have change in the shops these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"George and Patricia want to come over at the weekend."

"Ok dear. I'll turn off the water and electric and hide the taps and all the appliances."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

A guy I know claims he gets a large coffee in the petrol station but takes the string off a tea bag and places it under the cap of the cup.

He's just a thief.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Couldn't agree more.

I play music in a pub I won't name. Regular session, and we're looked after very well. Owner and his staff are a sound as they come. Regularly have a lock-in, and leave with the dawn. Always drop a tray of food down to the table.

Some friends of one of the girls who plays with us started to come down, all in late 30s/early 40s, with handbags full of naggins. We asked them not to. We were told where to go. We had a word in the barman's ear, and out they were fcuked, never to return. They had discounted drinks available if one of the musicians bought it for them. They were taking the pi55, and they weren't welcome.

Do I feel bad for 'telling on them'? No. Not a bit.

That brain box should get a travel mug and bring his coffee with him.
    If the difference between tea/coffee is what €0.25 and he's saving €5 a week then he's buying 20 takeaway coffee's a week. That's 2k a year. After tax.

Penny rich, pound foolish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

That brain box should get a travel mug and bring his coffee with him.
    If the difference between tea/coffee is what €0.25 and he's saving €5 a week then he's buying 20 takeaway coffee's a week. That's 2k a year. After tax.

Penny rich, pound foolish...

Don’t think maths or tea prices are your strong points

Don’t think maths or tea prices are your strong points

Care to point out the errors? It's late. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I.
    As to how I got it into the event to avoid being caught..I'll spare you all the blushes!

Prison wallet? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OhHiMark wrote: »

Never ever done this, its pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So how do they manage?

same as rural folk did for generations... I had no electricity all last winter..

Advertisement