Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    "George and Patricia want to come over at the weekend."

"Ok dear. I'll turn off the water and electric and hide the taps and all the appliances."

funny! actually they lived without mains water from choice, and it being a tourist area folk tended to just arrive.. I lived last winter without electricity and it is perfectly do-able and rather peaceful.

it was the way they were quite open about why. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm waiting for the "it's not just a naggin I bring it's a 3litre bottle of coke too".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,434 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Graces7 wrote: »
    Chatting to some folk who live in a magically lovely spot. They told me that they live without mains water and toilet facilities as else all their friends ask to stay with them..

Is that really being stingy though? Stingy would be inviting people but telling people you don't have electricity or mains water so their bills aren't any higher :)

Or not having any electricity or mains water yourself but calling next door for a shower and charge of your phone!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Don’t think maths or tea prices are your strong points
    their heart is in the right place, that's all that matters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the "it's not just a naggin I bring it's a 3litre bottle of coke too".

Given pub prices these days it probably makes more sense to bring the mixer and buy the alcohol at the bar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Don’t think maths or tea prices are your strong points

Care to point out the errors? It's late. :D

You've cocked it up twice I think and multiplied the 20 coffees a week by the 52 weeks to come up with 2k rather than 1k.

The amount saved is the 5er a week by 52 weeks, i.e. 260 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

correction:
    The amount saved stolen is the 5er a week by 52 weeks, i.e. 260 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You've cocked it up twice I think and multiplied the 20 coffees a week by the 52 weeks to come up with 2k rather than 1k.

Yes but his point was that if he made his own coffee at home it'd be like getting a €2k a year pay rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Quazzie wrote: »

Yes but his point was that if he made his own coffee at home it'd be like getting a €2k a year pay rise

Fair enough. Sure I could save thousands a year I guess by never bother going to a restaurant and just eating at home. Or watching a movie on TV rather than going to the cinema. Etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Quazzie wrote: »

Yep. That was the point. And the €2k currently being spent is after tax so it would actually be more like a raise of €3K to €4k.
    Fair enough. Sure I could save thousands a year I guess by never bother going to a restaurant and just eating at home. Or watching a movie on TV rather than going to the cinema. Etc etc

Normally I'd say to each their own but in this instance an example of stingy behaviour was declaring tea but getting coffee. On the volume of coffee suggested, then that overall behaviour is more stupid than stingy.

Your point about not going to the cinema or always eating at home is only similar if you are watching every program in the cinema or eating out for every meal. If you are, then it would be equally stupid to be trying to be stingy when doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Would never bring any booze into a pub but at gigs and events have done it given the mad queues, limited options and crazy prices.

Well yeah I think this is fine to be honest. Bringing a hip flask into Slane is a different prospect to bringing a nagin into your local on a Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No no, I wouldn’t dump him over something like money! It’s hilarious and one for the books but I’d never go as far as to dump him because of it, I myself and many others have done things that are deal breakers to other people but in the big picture it’s not the biggest deal in the world. And it’s not like he acts like that regularly, he just has a moment or two where he doesn’t realise he’s being the way he is! :v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Two biggest reasons for marital rows, sex and finances.

You have been warned ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Two biggest reasons for marital rows, sex and finances.

You have been warned ðŸ˜

That's why i don't charge for sex :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I know a man who goes to a pub about 40 miles away for a night out. Travels on free pass and goes into pound shop gets a bottle of lemonade or other soft drink and brings into the pub for the night. He must stay with the people he meets as there would not be busses back after the pub. he is very poor in fairness,  really poverty stricken and has been all his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

In the pubs with the hip flask, would the pubs not complain or do you sneak it or add it to the pub glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,484 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In the pubs with the hip flask, would the pubs not complain or do you sneak it or add it to the pub glass

Of course the pub would complain. You would be out on your ear in most pubs i know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You'd be politely told that you're no longer welcome in the premises and please leave without creating a scene......... Its a pretty appalling way to treat a small business- many of which are operating on a shoestring. Just because they're charging a fiver for a pint- doesn't mean they're rolling it in.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I've only really seen people do this in my student days but usually the person would buy their mixer at the pub and then add their booze under the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Buying a mixer alone will have you watched like a hawk all night! You buy a normal drink then top up your glass for the night. If the pub is quiet you should buy one or two more over the night in case you're noticed. Source: was both a student and a barman.

I should also add that in student bars the bar staff likely couldn't give a f**k what you're at, but if you're an adult in a normal pub you should take a good long look at yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Sorry for the delay, We mods have just returned from Brussels after attending the European court of human stinginess and mean old bastards.

The ruling handed down was that bringing your own booze to a bozzeria is the height of stinginess. There was talk of bringing back the death penalty but they overruled us.

Now fücking drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,220 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Prison wallet? :)

If I knew what that was, I could confirm or deny!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If I knew what that was, I could confirm or deny!

You need to bend over to access it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,220 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

FanadMan wrote: »
    You need to bend over to access it :D

I can confirm that that was NOT the case.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The bum in work part 2...

He brought in his annual every 2 week box of fags today. After bumming at least 2/3 fags off different people everyday including myself. I asked him for one and he gave one with some head on him, asked him for another a few hours later just for the sake of it since he has no problem asking me for five. He then reluctantly handed me one, and when my other friend who ALSO supplies him daily asked for one cigarette he said ‘no, you can’t have one because dartboardio got one, these hav to last me two days’
    Where the hell does he think we get our cigarettes from? Our ears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He brought in his annual every 2 week box of fags today. After bumming at least 2/3 fags off different people everyday including myself. I asked him for one and he gave one with some head on him, asked him for another a few hours later just for the sake of it since he has no problem asking me for five. He then reluctantly handed me one, and when my other friend who ALSO supplies him daily asked for one cigarette he said ‘no, you can’t have one because dartboardio got one, these hav to last me two days’

That's probably how your boyfriend behaves in his workplace! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Make sure ye all say no the next time he asks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

With every cigarette he bums, make sure you riddle the cigarette with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭D3V!L

With every cigarette he bums, make sure you riddle the cigarette with this

Or Ricin :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well now you the perfect opportunity to refuse him anymore. Say that they have to last you.

Advertisement