Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

KevRossi wrote: »
    So every year between Christmas and New Years I do a bit of a road trip and visit a few cousins, aunts, uncles etc, on one day. This involves an early start and a late return to Dublin as I visit 3 houses in 3 different counties on the one day, sometimes vising people I haven't seen for 12 months.

There's a few kids of cousins and 2nd cousins in each house or living close to each one, some of them I don't know their ages/names etc. so to keep it simple they all get a selection box - 14 in total. Each house gets a 1L bottle of Powers for the adults. Thing with the selection box is that I don't buy them until the 26th or 27th of December as they are usually half price or just going for €1.

A work colleague called me stingy, I call it thrift.

I live a fair drive away from my siblings.... If I knew I definitely wasn't seeing them on the day I wait for the sales....the budget stays the same but they get bigger/ nicer presents.

I think your work colleague is just jealous they have to pay full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He doesnt know the difference between being stingey and being clever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think we have a winner here https://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi-bin/stanford?a=d&d=stanford19280412-01.2.52&e=07-07-1969-31-12-1970--en-20--1--txt-txIN-new+riders

In 1928 beforethe great depression,
    "MEAN MAN" JERKS TEETH OF WIFE TO SAVE FOOD EXPENSE

After persuading his wife to have all her teeth pulled, Mathias Blau of Chicago refused to buy her false teeth because, he said, it was cheaper to feed her on soup than on solids. Mrs. Blau went to court, was awarded two sets of store teeth and at least a beefsteak a week. Judge Jonas told Mr. Blau that he had committed "the meanest trick" he had ever heard of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When someone takes sandwiches from the canteen without paying it's theft.

But when you are on around a million a year and bonuses it's also pure stinge https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2020/0204/1113139-citigroup/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When someone takes sandwiches from the canteen without paying it's theft.

But when you are on around a million a year and bonuses it's also pure stinge https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2020/0204/1113139-citigroup/

Needs to watch them pennies don't you know.... The pounds will then of course watch themselves....

Couldn't expect him to be paying like the peasants.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

I had a friend who used to come over about twice a week . Over the the years I'd end up paying for more drinks meals and taxis for her than i care to disclose as she was quite good at what bills she chose to pay and different bits. My then boyfriend now husband always gave out about this but the final straw came a few months ago when he thought we were going through toilet roll really quickly. And we joked ah she's hardly taking it , so we realised she was when we started leaving a stack of of four rolls instead of a basket and and we let her do it for a few weeks until I jokingly said it to her (cause we're a very chill couple but I was wondering if she'd fallen on hard times) and she turned around and said oh ive been doing it for so long now its something I don't pick in my shopping anymore and I can put a fiver more a week in my savings. I could not stop laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

smurfjed wrote: »
    I know an aircraft captain who jumped out of the aircraft to remind the passenger that he hadn’t given him a tip. This is a guy who regularly cleans out the aircraft after landing and removes just about every consumable item, regardless of the fact that he is going to a hotel. Also saw him open his bag one day and it was full of hotel tea/coffee/sweetener sachets, he obviously had the hotel replace the stock every day and took them.

Ah maybe he was gathering them to give to some lonely old biddie…. ;)

I'm not the better for reading that!!!

Cat food sandwiches, jesus!

Seen that done in another remote place! Or heard the legend. lol...ie " looks like cat food in these sandwiches." Actually standards are as high for cat food as for tinned tuna but I don't fancy it and my cats would eat me...

voldejoie wrote: »
    Had to turn it off when they were sharing tooth floss, my stomach started doing flip flops :o

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I can't help but think people who are that cheap must have some sort of untreated mental illness.

Not at all. When you are on eg a small pension, every cent matters. Literally. Be glad you are not like that. Your mind is calculating the whole time. Just to pay the rent and buy coal and not get the ESB turned off, Trust me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not at all. When you are on eg a small pension, every cent matters. Literally. Be glad you are not like that. Your mind is calculating the whole time. Just to pay the rent and buy coal and not get the ESB turned off, Trust me on that.

As we have stated on numerous occasions, being frugal or careful with money (due to low disposable income) is 100% different to the majority of the stories on this thread. Also, there's no need to tell us your financial hardships in every single thread.

-

Stinge story:
    I bought a packet of biscuits last week. They were Mcvities chocolate digestives. I left them on my desk. Someone took them but left a note saying they would replace them. They replaced them the next day, but with own brand digestives. I jokingly said that the original biscuits were Mcvities and the person commented that they taste the same and the own brand ones were much cheaper.

Same person will refuse to go to the closest cafe for a coffee because the one 5 minutes walk away has cheaper coffee.

This person is not short of money. If they don't want to pay more for a coffee that's fine, but if you borrow something from someone and replace it, don't replace it with a cheaper product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

SusieBlue wrote: »

Highlights include a woman who fed her children cat food sandwiches every day (cat food is similar to tinned tuna apparently, for 30c cheaper), and a man who puts his clothes in the freezer for a few hours rather than washing them, because its cheaper than running a washing machine.

There was also a couple who shared a toothbrush, tooth floss and had joint showers to save money :(

My cat's children's breath smells like cat food.

My dad puts water in the soap....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My dad puts water in the soap....

Not sure that that is being frugal/stingy- as people will obviously use two (or more) squirts instead of one- and by putting water in, you actually empty out the container at the end? I don't see that as stingy- its just not being wasteful....?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

MissD93 wrote: »
    I had a friend who used to come over about twice a week . Over the the years I'd end up paying for more drinks meals and taxis for her than i care to disclose as she was quite good at what bills she chose to pay and different bits. My then boyfriend now husband always gave out about this but the final straw came a few months ago when he thought we were going through toilet roll really quickly. And we joked ah she's hardly taking it , so we realised she was when we started leaving a stack of of four rolls instead of a basket and and we let her do it for a few weeks until I jokingly said it to her (cause we're a very chill couple but I was wondering if she'd fallen on hard times) and she turned around and said oh ive been doing it for so long now its something I don't pick in my shopping anymore and I can put a fiver more a week in my savings. I could not stop laughing

That's a bit sad, I think, on her part. Stealing toilet rolls. :rolleyes: Was she packing them into her bag or how was she sneaking them out of the house?

And does she know why you no longer invite her around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm fairly sure the cleaners in our office dilute down the washing up liquid in the kitchens. It always confuses me. Like, do they have a strict budget for buying the washing up liquid so want it to last longer? Or are they skimping out on buying it so they can pocket the difference? Or they couldn't be bothered changing the bottle so just top it up with water? I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

MissD93 wrote: »

im calling BS on this story. if she was desperate for toilet roll, she could take it from work or college, and her response doesnt sound genuine. sorry. alot of stories here that i doubt but if they sound kind of true ive no problem.

im calling BS on this story. if she was desperate for toilet roll, she could take it from work or college, and her response doesnt sound genuine. sorry. alot of stories here that i doubt but if they sound kind of true ive no problem.

People in my job rob it.... The cleaner actually writes on the rolls do not bring me home......

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Needs to watch them pennies don't you know.... The pounds will then of course watch themselves....

Couldn't expect him to be paying like the peasants.....

i never understood that phrase : "watch the pennies and the pounds watch themselves". shouldnt it be the opposite, "keep an eye on the pounds and dont worry about the pennies"??

i know people who go through their life trying to save a few pennies a day. If they saw the bigger picture they could get better jobs and earn an extra 30-40k a year on top of what they are earning.

ive an embarrasing story. i wanted to save 10euro on a toy for my kid. So i left one shop and drove another 10 miles into dublin city centre to save the 10euro. I was tired and ended up crashing into a car in rathmines. cost me about 2k euros in damage to both cars. lesson learned.

i never understood that phrase : "watch the pennies and the pounds watch themselves". shouldnt it be the opposite, "keep an eye on the pounds and dont worry about the pennies"??

i know people who go through their life trying to save a few pennies a day. If they saw the bigger picture they could get better jobs and earn an extra 30-40k a year on top of what they are earning.

ive an embarrasing story. i wanted to save 10euro on a toy for my kid. So i left one shop and drove another 10 miles into dublin city centre to save the 10euro. I was tired and ended up crashing into a car in rathmines. cost me about 2k euros in damage to both cars. lesson learned.

That's so funny, I'm sorry I laughed....

Mad how things pan out.
    Luckily you were ok and nobody hurt.

One other thing I can't understand is when someone buys a high end car and then stinge on the tyres..... Landsails or linlongs etc...

sullivlo wrote: »
    As we have stated on numerous occasions, being frugal or careful with money (due to low disposable income) is 100% different to the majority of the stories on this thread. Also, there's no need to tell us your financial hardships in every single thread.

:confused:I have no hardships, financial or otherwise. That is your interpretation.

What was being said clearly indicated a misunderstanding of the difference. ie I was responding to a post that you omitted to quote . querying that extremes were ?mental illness?

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the cleaners in our office dilute down the washing up liquid in the kitchens. It always confuses me. Like, do they have a strict budget for buying the washing up liquid so want it to last longer? Or are they skimping out on buying it so they can pocket the difference? Or they couldn't be bothered changing the bottle so just top it up with water? I don't understand.

We used to do that when we were catering simply because some folk were over generous with the squirting and rinsing the dishes clean of it was harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not sure that that is being frugal/stingy- as people will obviously use two (or more) squirts instead of one- and by putting water in, you actually empty out the container at the end? I don't see that as stingy- its just not being wasteful....?

I buy all the soaps, shower gels etc. in Dealz type shops. I get a few of the same stuff, whatever is cheap at the time. So when one runs out I get the next one (same product) and leave upside down to let it drain the dregs into the next one.

I don’t like to waste the bit at the bottom but also can’t stand the watery soap when you water it down. No waste, no watery soap. Problem solved.

I don't think she was desperate for it , I think she the whole point is she done it once or twice at my house or someone else's and it clicked in her head that she no longer had to spend money on this item.

That's a bit sad, I think, on her part. Stealing toilet rolls. :rolleyes: Was she packing them into her bag or how was she sneaking them out of the house?

And does she know why you no longer invite her around :D
    She was throwing them into her handbag, I dont talk to her anymore because it was becoming too much hassle trying not to be out of pocket with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,413 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was in ALDI at the checkout. I bought the last 2 full pocket handgels... there was a bottle with a quarter gone out of it.
    Looked like someone used it and put it back on the shelf.

It's only 79c!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you have/watch enough pennies, then you will also have pounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,796 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I was in ALDI at the checkout. I bought the last 2 full pocket handgels... there was a bottle with a quarter gone out of it.
    Looked like someone used it and put it back on the shelf.

It's only 79c!

I regularly get the Zero Sugar concentrated chemical fruit juice from MiWadi that's never been near a fruit in its life.
    However, a couple of bottles I opened I noticed after the fact weren't properly sealed and the level was down slightly. I reckon some arse had been taking a swig and putting them back on the shelf.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:I have no hardships, financial or otherwise. That is your interpretation.

What was being said clearly indicated a misunderstanding of the difference. ie I was responding to a post that you omitted to quote . querying that extremes were ?mental illness?
    Im sorry to say this but a lot of your posts come across as you're hard done by or whinging posts. Not having a go just my opinion. Cheer up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,213 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

How about the primary school teacher I was in a house share with who contemplated billing our landlord when she had to replace her bedroom lightbulb?
    The rest of us gently told her that's not how a rental works.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,413 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How about the primary school teacher I was in a house share with who contemplated billing our landlord when she had to replace her bedroom lightbulb?
    The rest of us gently told her that's not how a rental works.

I bet she took that bulb with her when she moved out!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement